PDA

View Full Version : Dated thread: Fight Club...

Fpoonsie
03-16-2014, 10:56 PM
...does it actually suck?

DPG21920
03-16-2014, 11:35 PM
"I"m not allowed to talk about it"

- Lefty

baseline bum
03-17-2014, 12:19 AM
...does it actually suck?

I was watching the Amour Fou episode of Sopranos earlier today, and I have been dying laughing ever since I saw Tony tell Gloria Trillo "Look, we had our Mo Fo, and it was great" as he broke up with her. And Fight Club is great. What the fuck?

Fpoonsie
03-17-2014, 08:20 AM
I was watching the Amour Fou episode of Sopranos earlier today, and I have been dying laughing ever since I saw Tony tell Gloria Trillo "Look, we had our Mo Fo, and it was great" as he broke up with her. And Fight Club is great. What the fuck?

Was watching it with the gf, and she thoroughly despised it. Not in a girly "ew, blood, gross!" way, but in a "glorifies everything wrong with American society/ideas of masculinity," "tries to come off intellectual and progressively philosophical, but settles on angsty teen, hipster faggotry." She even went as far as to bet me that there would be a "Fight Club sucks" forum -- there was, I lost the bet -- and they all echoed her sentiment.

*And no TV series/movie will ever nail overt chauvinism with such witty aplomb like Sopronos did. "Yeah, well, if you love me, stir my eggs."

vy65
03-17-2014, 09:45 AM
We are god's unwanted children

benefactor
03-17-2014, 12:06 PM
No...it does not suck...nor will it ever.

Medvedenko
03-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Still holds up and it definitely has some bold ideas. It's a little heavy handed, but the direction and acting alone make it great. Plus, the twist is pretty fun.

DeadlyDynasty
03-17-2014, 01:48 PM
OT, but your droppin the Fins like a bad habit once JFF gets drafted, right 'poons?

ChumpDumper
03-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Impact of the finale was definitely blunted by 9/11, but overall it holds up well.

baseline bum
03-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Was watching it with the gf, and she thoroughly despised it. Not in a girly "ew, blood, gross!" way, but in a "glorifies everything wrong with American society/ideas of masculinity," "tries to come off intellectual and progressively philosophical, but settles on angsty teen, hipster faggotry." She even went as far as to bet me that there would be a "Fight Club sucks" forum -- there was, I lost the bet -- and they all echoed her sentiment.

Is your GF a hipster who scoffs hipsters? It was a pretty awesome story with so many classic scenes, like Edward Norton beating the shit out of himself in his boss' office to finance project mayhem. Or herding up all the pigeons to shit all over the new Benzos at the dealership. Or the guy spraying the preacher with the hose until he could get the preacher to punch him. Or the airline placards showing kids on fire. Or every single line out of Marla's mouth. Plus it had a great soundtrack with all the Dust Brothers shit and some Tom Waits. And Brad Pitt was funny as shit: so do I give you the crotch or the ass? Great movie all around that's still awesome 15 years later.

baseline bum
03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
*And no TV series/movie will ever nail overt chauvinism with such witty aplomb like Sopronos did. "Yeah, well, if you love me, stir my eggs."

That's right, go home and get my dinner ready

vy65
03-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Is your GF a hipster who scoffs hipsters? It was a pretty awesome story with so many classic scenes, like Edward Norton beating the shit out of himself in his boss' office to finance project mayhem. Or herding up all the pigeons to shit all over the new Benzos at the dealership. Or the guy spraying the preacher with the hose until he could get the preacher to punch him. Or the airline placards showing kids on fire. Or every single line out of Marla's mouth. Plus it had a great soundtrack with all the Dust Brothers shit and some Tom Waits. And Brad Pitt was funny as shit: so do I give you the crotch or the ass? Great movie all around that's still awesome 15 years later.

The original "pillow talk"-scene had Marla saying "I want to have your abortion". When this was objected to by Fox 2000 Pictures President of Production Laura Ziskin, David Fincher said he would change it on the proviso that the new line couldn't be cut. Ziskin agreed and Fincher wrote the replacement line, "I haven't been fucked like that since grade school". When Ziskin saw the new line, she was even more outraged and asked for the original line to be put back, but, as per their deal, Fincher refused.

bb with the hezbollah-esque suicide bombs of truth

Jacob1983
03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
I would think that the grade school line would be worse for censorship. I like the movie. I think the message of the movie is about people realizing that life and reality suck and that you are just a pawn in the game of life. I love the part where Tyler Durden is talking about how people are brainwashed into thinking that they are going to be rock stars and movie gods then when they get older they realize that's bullshit and they are pissed off about it.

baseline bum
03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
The original "pillow talk"-scene had Marla saying "I want to have your abortion". When this was objected to by Fox 2000 Pictures President of Production Laura Ziskin, David Fincher said he would change it on the proviso that the new line couldn't be cut. Ziskin agreed and Fincher wrote the replacement line, "I haven't been fucked like that since grade school". When Ziskin saw the new line, she was even more outraged and asked for the original line to be put back, but, as per their deal, Fincher refused.

bb with the hezbollah-esque suicide bombs of truth

slide

vy65
03-17-2014, 06:30 PM
^ Don't watch, I can't go if you watch ...

Fpoonsie
03-17-2014, 07:27 PM
OT, but your droppin the Fins like a bad habit once JFF gets drafted, right 'poons?

Correct. I've resigned myself to the notion that I might be donning a fucking Jags jersey soon enough.

Fpoonsie
03-17-2014, 07:34 PM

Not a hipster. Brazilian, though, so her opinion of what Americans worry or bitch about is based accordingly.

Fpoonsie
03-17-2014, 07:42 PM
That's right, go home and get my dinner ready

"A: She was a who-uh." - Ralphie

baseline bum
03-17-2014, 09:10 PM
You gonna cry now? --Richie

CuckingFunt
03-18-2014, 02:43 AM

Your girlfriend doesn't get it. It doesn't glorify the media's presentation of masculinity, it specifically challenges it.

Fight Club is awesome. Book and film.

Jacob1983
03-18-2014, 02:47 AM
One of the best quotes of the movie "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything".

baseline bum
03-21-2014, 11:56 PM
"A: She was a who-uh." - Ralphie

All the girls in North Jersey, you had to fuck this one?

chjCnTzkjOE

Fpoonsie
03-22-2014, 11:19 AM
All the girls in North Jersey, you had to fuck this one?

chjCnTzkjOE

gU80IKFkpOs

ginobili's bald spot
03-22-2014, 06:52 PM

lol bitches trying to be intellectual.