PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys think Manu will snag the 6th man of the year award this year?

sehui
03-17-2014, 07:33 AM
I remember reading an article that a basketball magazine had him at the top amongst the 6th man award race in January. I'd argue he's been playing about the same level or even better.

NBA is all about narratives, after Manu's unstellar play during the Finals do you think he can get it? Stat wise if he did win, it'd prob be the worst numbers a 6th man has ever won before. Who else is in contention? Jamal Crawford?

exstatic
03-17-2014, 08:01 AM
I remember reading an article that a basketball magazine had him at the top amongst the 6th man award race in January. I'd argue he's been playing about the same level or even better.

NBA is all about narratives, after Manu's unstellar play during the Finals do you think he can get it? Stat wise if he did win, it'd prob be the worst numbers a 6th man has ever won before. Who else is in contention? Jamal Crawford?

Nobody is really standing out this year. When that happens, they frequently look at the career, and there has been NO better 6th man over the last decade than Manu.

Dex
03-17-2014, 08:52 AM
It will be hard for Manu to stand out as 6MOY candidate playing with the rest of the Foreign Legion, who have also been spectacular on the bench. You could argue that Patty Mills has had a bigger impact off the bench than Manu has...or Marco Belinelli...or Boris Diaw.

The Spurs bench unit is sick.

Drom John
03-17-2014, 09:56 AM
With the Spurs having played 66, I chose <33 GS as the line dividing starters and bench.
For single seasons; played in the NBA/BAA; in the regular season; in 2013-14; requiring Games Started <= 33; sorted by descending Win Shares.

5.0 Jamal Crawford
4.9 Manu Ginobili, rising with a bullet and only 2 GS.
4.8 Marco Belinelli
4.8 Darren Collison
4.8 Markieff Morris

8thT 4.6 Boris Diaw, Taj Gibson
11thT 4.3 Patty Mills, Martell Webster
62ndT 2.2 Cory Joseph, Steven Adams, Ed Davis, Tyreke Evans, Greivis Vasquez
81stT 1.7 Jeff Ayres, Alan Anderson, Aaron Brooks, Jae Crowder, Andre Miller, Kyle O'Quinn, Cody Zeller, Tyler Zeller
88thT 1.6 Matt Bonner, Francisco Garcia, Sheldon Mack, Tony Snell, Marreese Speights, Mo Williams, Dorell Wright

The Spurs have two of the top five and seven of the top 94 non-starters in the NBA. The Spurs bench is healthy.

Old School 44
03-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Yes, by default, who else is there? Manu is still the leader of the Spurs bench and still looked at as part of San Antonio's Big Three.

SpursFan86
03-17-2014, 11:13 AM
The other top two candidates are Taj Gibson and Jamal Crawford, and I think they're a bit more likely than Manu at this point. Both of them have the raw numbers since they play noticeably more minutes than Manu (28 and 30 mpg respectively, while Manu plays 23 mpg), and they also haven't missed as many games as Manu.

I have no doubt that Manu is the best 6th man in the league. Whether he will win the award though is another question.

BTW, let's not use the "ESPN hates the Spurs and still think Manu sucks because of the Finals! :(" schtick. Before Manu went down with the hamstring injury ESPN voted him as frontrunner to win the award. Unfortunately since then, Jamal Crawford has stepped up big time during Redick's absence (averaging over 20 ppg since 2014) and Taj Gibson is an elite defender whose increased playing load is a big part of why Chicago has stayed afloat after losing Rose/Deng.

UZER
03-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Hope so.

What concerns me more is the better he plays, the more turn over prone he gets, and that Manu is rearing its ugly head again coming down the stretch.

spurspokesman
03-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Manu is Jeckyl and Hyde to me tbh. Maybe he will or maybe he wont but I expect many turnovers enroute to either result smh

TMTTRIO
03-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Pop already said that Mills is the Sixth Man off the bench.

ElNono
03-17-2014, 06:30 PM
What concerns me more is the better he plays, the more turn over prone he gets, and that Manu is rearing its ugly head again coming down the stretch.

uh?

FuzzyLumpkins
03-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Hope so.

He tried forcing the ball inside repeatedly outside of the framework of the offense. The offense is designed to move the ball in and out and side to side but with secure passing lanes. Manu ignored that and the Heat were waiting for him and got deflections galore. He has cleaned it up as evidenced against good defensive clubs like Miami and Chicago.

mercos
03-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone more deserving. Hell, the second best choice might be Patty Mills.

Cry Havoc
03-17-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm thinking Taj is probably in the lead right now. Spurs players don't win awards very often because of the system.

SpurSpurSpurs
03-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Manu is Jeckyl and Hyde to me tbh. Maybe he will or maybe he wont but I expect many turnovers enroute to either result smh

Boomersgold
03-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Didn't Pop endorse Mills for 6th man or rookie of the year? I remember him saying that in one of his interviews.

Mel_13
03-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Ginobili's hamstring kept him out of the final eight games before the All-Star break. Since coming back, he is averaging 13.9 points and 4.8 assists and shooting a blistering 54.2 percent.
During that span, the Spurs' offense is 22 points better per 100 possessions with Ginobili on the court than off it, a staggering number.

With his body feeling better, Ginobili's mind has been clearer as well. He has been less turnover-prone in March, not yet committing more than two in a game.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spry-Manu-making-up-for-lost-time-5324671.php?t=746f560df4e4660723#/0

Budkin
03-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Ginobili's hamstring kept him out of the final eight games before the All-Star break. Since coming back, he is averaging 13.9 points and 4.8 assists and shooting a blistering 54.2 percent.
During that span, the Spurs' offense is 22 points better per 100 possessions with Ginobili on the court than off it, a staggering number.

With his body feeling better, Ginobili's mind has been clearer as well. He has been less turnover-prone in March, not yet committing more than two in a game.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spry-Manu-making-up-for-lost-time-5324671.php?t=746f560df4e4660723#/0

If we can stay healthy AND he continues to play like that we're going to be tough to beat in the Playoffs.

Budkin
03-18-2014, 11:18 AM

If we can stay healthy AND he continues to play like that we're going to be tough to beat in the Playoffs.

sehui
03-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Yes, by default, who else is there? Manu is still the leader of the Spurs bench and still looked at as part of San Antonio's Big Three.

Jamal Crawford, reggie jackson, Jeremy lin, the list goes on.

SpursFan86
03-19-2014, 09:55 AM
I'd say Jamal Crawford and Taj Gibson are the only two guys who I'd be okay with winning over Manu. They've had great years for their teams and are putting up better raw numbers due to playing 28-30 mpg.

Like I said though...I have no doubts that Manu is the best bench player in the league. He just doesn't play enough minutes (the hamstring injury causing him to miss a month hurt him as well) to really solidify him as the best. Manu definitely has the most impact while on the court.

Boomersgold
03-19-2014, 10:42 AM
I'd say Jamal Crawford and Taj Gibson are the only two guys who I'd be okay with winning over Manu. They've had great years for their teams and are putting up better raw numbers due to playing 28-30 mpg.

Like I said though...I have no doubts that Manu is the best bench player in the league. He just doesn't play enough minutes (the hamstring injury causing him to miss a month hurt him as well) to really solidify him as the best. Manu definitely has the most impact while on the court.

Found the quote from Pop:
"I think he's either the Most Improved Player in the league or 6th Man of the Year, whatever. He's been important to us. He's kept us above water while so many guys were hurt."

I don't think Manu should win it this year because of his inconsistency before the All-star break, and the fact that he's missed quite a few games. If Patty averaged 30 minutes per game, he'd probably average over 20 points per game.

Blake
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
6MOTY is probably the most worthless award in all of sports

Diego20
03-19-2014, 12:20 PM
"I think he's either the Most Improved Player in the league or 6th Man of the Year, whatever. He's been important to us. He's kept us above water while so many guys were hurt."

I don't think Manu should win it this year because of his inconsistency before the All-star break, and the fact that he's missed quite a few games. If Patty averaged 30 minutes per game, he'd probably average over 20 points per game.

If Manu averaged 30 minutes per game he would also average over 20 points per game.

sehui
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM

what interview is that from? got a link? sounds rather interesting

Embedded
03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
I really hope so. I think Jamal Crawford has horrible defense, I've seen Matt Barnes yelling at him for his defensive lapses before. He frequently is out of position and makes the wrong reads.

BanditHiro
03-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Spurs have the best bench in the NBA and Manu Ginobili is the leader of it. He should win tbh.

heyheymymy
03-19-2014, 11:26 PM
patty mills should get MIP

manu should get 6MOY

(Kawhi should get Finals MVP)

.G.
03-20-2014, 12:12 AM
A huevo...

T Park
03-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Crawford will win due to the LA hype. Manu ginobili is most deserving though. It'll be a Bruce Bowen like snub.

Sybok
03-20-2014, 12:46 AM
There's no worthless award in sports. Basketball is just entertainment that people sell to us for a big profit, so any award is just a token for fans to cling to. Teams are in it for profit, despite all the "we want to win championships" claims. So if one award is worthless, they all are. I know who's won 6thMotY several years back. Same with DPOY and CotY. All these awards to mean something to fans.

Cry Havoc
03-20-2014, 01:28 AM
patty mills should get MIP

manu should get 6MOY

(Kawhi should get Finals MVP)

Duncan getting another FMVP would be absolutely astounding.

Drom John
03-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Updated after last night's game:
For single seasons; played in the NBA/BAA; in the regular season; in 2013-14; requiring Games Started <= 33.5; sorted by descending Win Shares.

5.0 Manu Ginobili
4.9 Chris Anderson, Jamal Crawford, Markieff Morris
4.8 D. J. Augustin, Marco Belinelli, Darren Collison, Taj Gibson
4.6 Boris Diaw, Anderson Varajao (but I'd disqualify Varajao for >50% GS)

heyheymymy
03-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Duncan getting another FMVP would be absolutely astounding.

weirdest part of a very weird post season for spurs fans in 2013 was the fact that there was a point in the finals series where you didn't know who the FMVP would be if the spurs had won. duncan? green? parker? kawhi?

Cry Havoc
03-21-2014, 02:54 AM
weirdest part of a very weird post season for spurs fans in 2013 was the fact that there was a point in the finals series where you didn't know who the FMVP would be if the spurs had won. duncan? green? parker? kawhi?

I think if we won, Green had it locked up. That was the single most incredible shooting performance I've ever seen in a playoff series. NO one has ever shot that well.

therealtruth
03-21-2014, 04:13 AM

The Heat finally figured out that they have to limit the role players and force the big 3 to beat them. That strategy has worked the past few years.

barakz21
03-21-2014, 10:44 AM
If Manu wins it, who'll he join as multiple sixth man of the year winners?