PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili has been ballin...

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-18-2014, 12:36 PM
short piece from a Rockets article on BR

Manu Ginobili has had one of the most remarkable comebacks this year, even though his points may not directly show it. Last year, it seemed as if he was as good as done. This year, however, he may be the key piece to making it to the WCF.

In March alone, Ginobili is shooting 56% from the field, including 43% from three. He's averaging 15 points and 4 dimes in a little less than 20 minutes.

Furthermore, in his last seven games, Ginobili is averaging 18 per game, shooting an incredible 61% from the field, 48% from 3.

:wow

Mal
03-18-2014, 01:15 PM
I dont want to say what time of the season it is..

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
I dont want to say what time of the season it is..

Does it matter? Did you expect this from him at ALL?

DPG21920
03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
It truly has been remarkable how he's not only produced in such limited minutes but how Spry he looks. He was completely broken physically & mentally last year after the hammy injury. His shot was broken, his ability to handle the ball & initiate offense was gone & he lacked explosion.

I was terrified when Manu went down with the hammy again - I thought that was it. But he's looked amazing and with Danny/Kawhi regaining form it bodes very well.

tenbeersbold
03-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Meh,he's still slow footed as f00k on D and makes awful risky passes,lotsa circle jerking during the softpack part 'o the season LOL!

If we get by OKC to the Finals the Heat will eat him alive,gotta hope the new/improved part of the bench can make up for it

Why the hell anyone falls for that slow ass shot fake and exaggerated jab step is beyond me...looks like he's moving in quicksand LOL!

Diaw and Mills are the key IMHO if those two can deliver we got a fightin' chance and Baynes delivering a few choice fouls cant be under estimated as well

I mean if we're gonna get FD by the refs anyway,might as well get our $$$'s worth and judging by the last Blazers and Jazz game its gonna be more of the same till its OVAH so get the gauntlets on.

Mal
03-18-2014, 02:48 PM

It`s not about his performance at all.

ElNono
03-18-2014, 02:59 PM
GOAT, IMO... stay healthy, there's still money to be made... :hat

RD2191
03-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Manu is a beast, hopefully he keeps it going.

Skull-1
03-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Meh,he's still slow footed as f00k on D and makes awful risky passes,lotsa circle jerking during the softpack part 'o the season LOL!

If we get by OKC to the Finals the Heat will eat him alive,gotta hope the new/improved part of the bench can make up for it

Why the hell anyone falls for that slow ass shot fake and exaggerated jab step is beyond me...looks like he's moving in quicksand LOL!

Diaw and Mills are the key IMHO if those two can deliver we got a fightin' chance and Baynes delivering a few choice fouls cant be under estimated as well

I mean if we're gonna get FD by the refs anyway,might as well get our $$$'s worth and judging by the last Blazers and Jazz game its gonna be more of the same till its OVAH so get the gauntlets on.

Sean Cagney
03-18-2014, 03:26 PM

After last year to be honest with you I didn't, after the playoffs it appeared he was either hurt more than he lead on or just flat out done! He looked bad. I am shocked he is doing this well but it's Manu so no surprise.

wildbill2u
03-18-2014, 03:29 PM
I was worried earlier in the year because he was telegraphing passes and they were slow because he was using only his left hand and it was already partially extended when he pushed the ball off. (hope y'all can follow my description of this). I don't care how talented you are, you can't throw lazy passes in the NBA.

But lately, he hasn't been as slow on his passes. I haven't seen that lazy one-handed slow extension in a while. His better focus has resulted in fewer TOs.

SpursRock20
03-18-2014, 03:36 PM

It doesn't matter how slow or fast your pump fake is. What makes a good pump fake is that it closely replicates your shot and Manu does just that. If you notice, Beli probably has one of the best pump fakes in the game and his isn't that fast either, it's just that it really looks as if he is about to lift off the ground and shoot his natural shot.

Old School 44
03-18-2014, 05:09 PM
No dunks and Manu should be fine!

jacuza20
03-18-2014, 05:44 PM

Funny how you and others still manage to talk mess about Manu! He's playing incredible.. You do know he's in the top running for 6MOY., right? Pretty good for a 36 year old. Doesn't really matter what you say, he's definitely ballin and making you eat your own words, hater.

jacuza20
03-18-2014, 05:46 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/03/18/the-throwback-impact-of-manu-ginobili/

This is also very telling of Manu's importance this year

Leetonidas
03-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Nigga is on a mission to redeem himself, as he should be. As much as he pissed me off last season, I knew he was probably more pissed on the inside, even if he didn't come out and say he was garbage. Hopefully he keeps it up in the playoffs

Richie
03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
I've always thought his troubles in the playoffs last year were because of the Olympics. Simply didn't get enough rest.

As far as I know he didn't play last summer so that extra rest time should keep his body fresh for this May.

He's not 2005 Manu anymore I think we can all agree, but he isn't as done as he showed last June.

SpurSwag
03-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Tbh I called this happening, the player we saw last year just wasn't anywhere near the player we have watched for years. He clearly wasn't himself at all, and when I heard he was gonna take the summer off I knew he'd get back to being able to produce at a high level. I do think he has a tendency to throw some crazy passes sometimes that would look a lot worse vs. OKC and Miami, so vs. those kinds of teams he should really focus on scoring so he doesn't throw the ball every where (obviously make the passes that are there, just don't force). this year i think he has the confidence and burst to do just that.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Ginobili will always be my nigga.

SpursFan86
03-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Nigga is on a mission to redeem himself, as he should be. As much as he pissed me off last season, I knew he was probably more pissed on the inside, even if he didn't come out and say he was garbage. Hopefully he keeps it up in the playoffs

Yeah, I feel like Manu is the type that really takes pride in his abilites. He knew people were laughing at him and calling him washed up/the main reason we lost...I guarantee that lit a fire under his ass.

I just hope he's still playing like this come playoff time.

exstatic
03-18-2014, 10:21 PM

ezau
03-18-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm thinking Belli's presence has taken a lot of load off Manu's shoulders, which is the reason for the Argentine's resurgence.

heyheymymy
03-18-2014, 11:07 PM
manu is looking better than i thought he COULD look when the spurs resigned him this summer

Sybok
03-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Spurs have been playing teams that are either struggling or just bottom feeders. Let's wait until it matters before we assess how well Manu is doing. That jump pass turnover (2 in a row) he made last game tells me he's still not fully aware of his limitations. He over-commits and then heaves a desperation pass. He attempts passes and shots that just aren't there. So he's hitting a few, they always seem like great ideas when you hit them. I'd rather him miss shots than turn the ball over, but Manu would never give me just one choice.

exstatic
03-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Spurs have been playing teams that are either struggling or just bottom feeders. Let's wait until it matters before we assess how well Manu is doing. That jump pass turnover (2 in a row) he made last game tells me he's still not fully aware of his limitations. He over-commits and then heaves a desperation pass. He attempts passes and shots that just aren't there. So he's hitting a few, they always seem like great ideas when you hit them. I'd rather him miss shots than turn the ball over, but Manu would never give me just one choice.

You've just described Manu's entire career. Don't you watch games? None of this is a development.

His recent surge included games against Miami, Chicago and Portland.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-18-2014, 11:37 PM
double post

ElNono
03-18-2014, 11:57 PM

To be fair, he had great games against OKC and Portland pre-injury, even when we lost.

As far as the bolded part, you can go back to 2003 and he did the same thing. Difference is that back then he could drive at will and give you a couple of nice highlights that made you forget the mistakes. He always has been a feast-famine player, the good just outdid the bad much more often back then. Nowadays, he's older and can't drive as well anymore. His game has changed to be more of a passer/playmaker, and obviously his mistakes in those areas are now much more noticeable. He's still a high-production, highly-valuable player just by the fact that he makes teammates around him better.

Spursfanfromafar
03-19-2014, 12:12 AM
You take the adventurer out of Manu and you don't have the same competitive, all-round do-everything-on-the-court player that Manu is .. even at 36. Live with his mistakes and you will appreciate his genius better.

Mhak
03-19-2014, 01:29 AM
You take the adventurer out of Manu and you don't have the same competitive, all-round do-everything-on-the-court player that Manu is .. even at 36. Live with his mistakes and you will appreciate his genius better.

Genius you mean lots of key turnovers that cause us the a memorable games. He did it not once or twice but a million times.

ElNono
03-19-2014, 02:31 AM

Pretty much. Pop himself said he stopped trying to rein him in because he understands he's the ultimate competitor. Obviously, at this age he's more prone to make mistakes, but I think Pop trusts him as much as ever.

therealtruth
03-19-2014, 03:43 AM

He should have benched himself in the Finals.

murpjf88
03-19-2014, 03:54 AM

He couldn't bench himself. TP was already out injured, and Mills wasn't available. Your alternatives were Ginobili playing injured or CoJo. I'd take my chance with Ginobili 10 times out of 10 times.

Skull-1
03-19-2014, 05:43 AM

Heck yes. Or just taken a shot clock violation instead of stupid early shot clock bricks from downtown + eight Miami assists in Game Six. What a douche. Totally ruined his legacy. He can never undo that. EVER.

Skull-1
03-19-2014, 05:44 AM
He couldn't bench himself. TP was already out injured, and Mills wasn't available. Your alternatives were Ginobili playing injured or CoJo. I'd take my chance with Ginobili 10 times out of 10 times.

And wind up with eight turnovers and two bricks... Along with a ring for Miami.

Skull-1
03-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Genius you mean lots of key turnovers that cause us the a memorable games. He did it not once or twice but a million times.

Exactly. These stupid homers talk about how smart he is, yet he confuses SPURS jerseys and HEAT/Refs/Crowd outfits with same. Please.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-19-2014, 07:20 AM
It truly has been remarkable how he's not only produced in such limited minutes but how Spry he looks. He was completely broken physically & mentally last year after the hammy injury. His shot was broken, his ability to handle the ball & initiate offense was gone & he lacked explosion.

I was terrified when Manu went down with the hammy again - I thought that was it. But he's looked amazing and with Danny/Kawhi regaining form it bodes very well.

Its called taking the first summer ever off in over 10 years and just resting. He wanted to play the in World Cup in South American and Pop and RC ask him not to. Thankfully he obliged and us Spurs fan are seeing the benefits this year.

UZER
03-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Pretty much. Pop himself said he stopped trying to rein him in because he understands he's the ultimate competitor. Obviously, at this age he's more prone to make mistakes, but I think Pop trusts him as much as ever.

I don't think anyone disagrees with your point, but thats not an excuse to leave him out there in a game he is clearly struggling in to the detriment of the team. I hope that doesn't repeat itself.

If Manu cant get out of his own way in a meaningful playoff game, then Pop needs to get IN his way. Manu being a fierce competitor is not a get out of jail free card when he is whizzing passes into the stands and to the other team in a big game.

Duncan, and Manu for that matter, may have been good enough to erase those in the past, but we aren't in the past. We are dealing with this team right now with players at their current age.

Pop needs to have the balls to yank him to settle him if he's starts doing that again, and if he doesn't stop, he needs to have the balls to bench him. One of Pops favorite lines is "it wouldn't be fair to the other guys". Exactly, Pop....exactly.

Sybok
03-19-2014, 10:58 AM
To be fair, he had great games against OKC and Portland pre-injury, even when we lost.

As far as the bolded part, you can go back to 2003 and he did the same thing. Difference is that back then he could drive at will and give you a couple of nice highlights that made you forget the mistakes. He always has been a feast-famine player, the good just outdid the bad much more often back then. Nowadays, he's older and can't drive as well anymore. His game has changed to be more of a passer/playmaker, and obviously his mistakes in those areas are now much more noticeable. He's still a high-production, highly-valuable player just by the fact that he makes teammates around him better.
Which is why I said "not fully aware of his limitations". I don't mind the mistakes that result from over-aggressiveness as much as I mind the mistakes from lack of ball movement or just being lost on defense. Eventually the aggressiveness will reward you, when it's Manu. You just cannot find any rhyme or reason to those instances where he drives into 4 defenders, jumps up and throws the ball away.

Sybok
03-19-2014, 11:03 AM
You've just described Manu's entire career. Don't you watch games? None of this is a development.

His recent surge included games against Miami, Chicago and Portland.

You obviously don't fully comprehend my statement. Manu doesn't have the same ability he had in the past. I've been watching Manu since even before he came into the NBA. I know his tendencies, but in the past he could offset his turnovers with production and defense. Not so much any more, at least not against good teams. Manu still has plenty game in him, just not like he used to have. He hasn't really adjusted his game. You don't see Tim shooting the bank shot every other trip down the floor these days. Wonder why?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
And wind up with eight turnovers and two bricks you stupid f**k. Along with a ring for Miami.

:cry

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-19-2014, 11:14 AM
You don't see Tim shooting the bank shot every other trip down the floor these days. Wonder why?

I legitimately want to know why

Skull-1
03-19-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't think anyone disagrees with your point, but thats not an excuse to leave him out there in a game he is clearly struggling in to the detriment of the team. I hope that doesn't repeat itself.

If Manu cant get out of his own way in a meaningful playoff game, then Pop needs to get IN his way. Manu being a fierce competitor is not a get out of jail free card when he is whizzing passes into the stands and to the other team in a big game.

Duncan, and Manu for that matter, may have been good enough to erase those in the past, but we aren't in the past. We are dealing with this team right now with players at their current age.

Pop needs to have the balls to yank him to settle him if he's starts doing that again, and if he doesn't stop, he needs to have the balls to bench him. One of Pops favorite lines is "it wouldn't be fair to the other guys". Exactly, Pop....exactly.

So right on.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-19-2014, 11:30 AM
:cry he's playing good this year and i can't admit i'm wrong :cry

spurraider21
03-19-2014, 11:40 AM
how long until this thread gets renamed to "Manu Ginobili has been ailin..."

Skull-1
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM

:lol

ElNono
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM

Unless somebody is hurt, it's not going to happen. This is the kind of second-guessing that Pop simply doesn't do. He knows who his top guys are, and he'll go to war with them. They'll deliver to him or not.

A little history about that quote, because it plays right into this. The actual quote was "it wouldn't be fair to Matt". This is when Bonner was starting with Duncan and Tiago was riding the pine. It was in response as to why Splitter didn't play more.

By the time the playoffs roll around, Pop knows who set the table and he'll let them eat. Like he says, it's only fair.

ElNono
03-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Which is why I said "not fully aware of his limitations". I don't mind the mistakes that result from over-aggressiveness as much as I mind the mistakes from lack of ball movement or just being lost on defense. Eventually the aggressiveness will reward you, when it's Manu. You just cannot find any rhyme or reason to those instances where he drives into 4 defenders, jumps up and throws the ball away.

I think he's just trying to push the envelope. It will fail sometimes. Part of taking the good with the bad, I guess. He clearly doesn't have the same motor he did back in the day, so he isn't as relentless. Part of father time catching with you.

jARS mEsH sEt
03-19-2014, 01:03 PM

:lmao

mookie2001
03-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Haha Baldspot is crominating lately el nono I admit it. Good thing some of yall stuck by him so long

this is part of his long-con though. It's diabolical

ElNono
03-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Its called taking the first summer ever off in over 10 years and just resting.

He took the summer off in 2010 also (skipped the Worlds with the NT)

ElNono
03-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Haha Baldspot is crominating lately el nono I admit it. Good thing some of yall stuck by him so long

this is part of his long-con though. It's diabolical

sup mookie :lol

You know the saying... Manu giveth, Manu taketh away... I just hope everyone is healthy and playing well going into the playoffs. All you can ask.

Sybok
03-19-2014, 02:25 PM
I legitimately want to know why

I think it's because the Spurs don't run that set because they don't have the other pieces they need for it, and because he's not as spry has he once was where the defender had to respect his ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the rim if he over-committed on defense... then Tim steps back and drains it off the glass.

Sybok
03-19-2014, 02:28 PM

When the head coach and president of basketball operations calls your number and leaves you out there, you keep doing what you do. It's not on Manu. The Spurs other options aren't great during those stretches anyhow.

UZER
03-19-2014, 02:51 PM
When the head coach and president of basketball operations calls your number and leaves you out there, you keep doing what you do. It's not on Manu. The Spurs other options aren't great during those stretches anyhow.

Um yeah, that's exactly what I said.

superjames1992
03-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Enrique wasn't that hurt... That excuse is getting tiring, tbh. Enrique just had a bad series against a taller defender, per par.

UZER
03-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Unless somebody is hurt, it's not going to happen. This is the kind of second-guessing that Pop simply doesn't do. He knows who his top guys are, and he'll go to war with them. They'll deliver to him or not.

I promise you Pop second guessed himself all off season.

I hope Manu redeems himself. I also hope Pop doesn't let the same thing happen if Manu is hurting more than helping in a certain game.

ElNono
03-19-2014, 04:07 PM
I promise you Pop second guessed himself all off season.

I hope Manu redeems himself. I also hope Pop doesn't let the same thing happen if Manu is hurting more than helping in a certain game.

Well, let's just hope Manu plays well. Otherwise, I see disappointment in your future, IMO...

UZER
03-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, let's just hope Manu plays well. Otherwise, I see disappointment in your future, IMO...

Of course, or we're in the same disappointment boat.

ElNono
03-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Of course, or we're in the same disappointment boat.

yep

Skull-1
03-19-2014, 08:28 PM
All Pop had to do was bench Manu for three minutes to clear his head and send a message..... If he had done so we would have won the series.

siraulo23
03-19-2014, 08:59 PM
save it for the POs manu, thanks

downunder
03-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Belli & Patty have been putting a lot of pressure on Manu and I think have inspired him to return to his greatness. This is Spurs year.

superjames1992
03-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Others besides Enrique will need to show up. The Heat will put LeBron on Enrique, which should basically shut him down, as in games 6 and 7 (taller defender shutting him down, per par). We need Manu, Timmy, and the role players to play well.......

TMTTRIO
03-19-2014, 11:59 PM
I still think he should've retired when he had a chance

03-20-2014, 12:01 AM
He played we'll tbh hit his threes

ElNono
03-20-2014, 12:02 AM

well, he always has that chance

Sean Cagney
03-20-2014, 12:24 AM

Why would you want him to retire when he is helping us out this year and playing well? I am glad he is here this year.

Sybok
03-20-2014, 12:42 AM
well, he always has that chance
This is the truth. There ain't a poster here regardless of age who wouldn't sign for Manu's pay and show up every single day ready to go. Manu isn't going to retire willingly. His competitive nature doesn't have an off switch, most guys like him (not many) don't have an off switch. Hell, MJ would be playing today if he could.

Sean Cagney
03-20-2014, 12:46 AM
This is the truth. There ain't a poster here regardless of age who wouldn't sign for Manu's pay and show up every single day ready to go. Manu isn't going to retire willingly. His competitive nature doesn't have an off switch, most guys like him (not many) don't have an off switch. Hell, MJ would be playing today if he could.

You can tell MJ still wants to play to this day honestly! He never wanted to give up the game of bball as that was his life.

superjames1992
03-20-2014, 02:12 AM
6 assists, 0 turnovers for Manu against LAL... :wakeup

gilmor
03-20-2014, 02:49 AM
6 assists, 0 turnovers for Manu against LAL... :wakeup

Who has the best +/-? I know you guys like to talk about that..

ElNono
03-20-2014, 02:53 AM

No idea, but props to your guy Parker today, he looks like he's getting in good shape, tbh :toast

gilmor
03-20-2014, 03:05 AM
No idea, but props to your guy Parker today, he looks like he's getting in good shape, tbh :toast

Actually doesn't matter to me that much.. as long as we win..

I have seen Manu played with some real enthusiasm this year.. and that is a plus point..

ElNono
03-20-2014, 03:08 AM
Actually doesn't matter to me that much.. as long as we win..

agreed

superjames1992
03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Timmy Duncan (+28). :toast

urunobili
03-20-2014, 01:06 PM

james evans
03-20-2014, 02:29 PM
save it for the POs manu, thanks

Biernutz
03-20-2014, 10:57 PM
There is a story about Manu on ESPN 2 Keith Olbermans show tonight. It shows his parents home and
family in Argentina. A nice little story. The show repeats at 11pm CDT. It comes on late in the show
but worth the wait.....

03-21-2014, 04:00 AM
I can't help but cringe when Manu takes it to the hole since the hammy could go again at any time.

therealtruth
03-21-2014, 04:06 AM
You obviously don't fully comprehend my statement. Manu doesn't have the same ability he had in the past. I've been watching Manu since even before he came into the NBA. I know his tendencies, but in the past he could offset his turnovers with production and defense. Not so much any more, at least not against good teams. Manu still has plenty game in him, just not like he used to have. He hasn't really adjusted his game. You don't see Tim shooting the bank shot every other trip down the floor these days. Wonder why?

This is it exactly. Manu couldn't make up for his bad plays like he used to in the past. In the past he would make up for it especially on defense, like coming up with crucial defensive plays.