PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Who great old school nba player would be exposed...

UZER
03-18-2014, 05:13 PM
As a fraud using todays advanced stats?

I'm talking guys held in high regard by us old school fans.

And in the same line of thought, who was surprisingly more valuable than given credit for?

UZER
03-18-2014, 05:24 PM
:lol meant to say "what"

lefty
03-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Bill Russell would be such a scrub.

Glorified Ben Wallace imo

poeticism707
03-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Bill Russell would be such a scrub.

Glorified Ben Wallace imo

Agreed, he was recipient of fast pace.

He would be a Ben Wallace clone today.

ambchang
03-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Bill Russell introduced something to the league that was never used in the past, and it was his shot blocking and rebounding and outlet passes. He was the key to a fastbreaking style of basketball that won the Celtics 11 championships. Would he have the same level of success as today? Probably not, but in his day, and taking his impact of the game in context, the man is getting severely underrated as time goes by.

In terms of advanced stats, the following players, I think, would be viewed in a more negative light:
1) Pete Maravich
2) Nate Archibald
3) World B. Free
4) Nique
5) Bernard King
6) Willis Reed

Underrated:
1) David Robinson
2) Elgin Baylor
3) Jerry West
4) Charles Barkley
5) Artis Gilmore
6) Moses Malone

UZER
03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Bill Russell introduced something to the league that was never used in the past, and it was his shot blocking and rebounding and outlet passes. He was the key to a fastbreaking style of basketball that won the Celtics 11 championships. Would he have the same level of success as today? Probably not, but in his day, and taking his impact of the game in context, the man is getting severely underrated as time goes by.

In terms of advanced stats, the following players, I think, would be viewed in a more negative light:
1) Pete Maravich
2) Nate Archibald
3) World B. Free
4) Nique
5) Bernard King
6) Willis Reed

Underrated:
1) David Robinson
2) Elgin Baylor
3) Jerry West
4) Charles Barkley
5) Artis Gilmore
6) Moses Malone

I had Bernard king and David Robinson on both of the same lists.

I think advanced stats would favor David in a huge way. He won an IBM award they used to give out for a few years for the most important player statistically to a team.

Sybok
03-18-2014, 07:55 PM
David would be a monster in today's NBA. Tall, shot blocker, good footwork, can shoot outside, athletic as fuck, good FT shooter... he'd destroy.

HI-FI
03-18-2014, 08:03 PM
David would be a monster in today's NBA. Tall, shot blocker, good footwork, can shoot outside, athletic as fuck, good FT shooter... he'd destroy.
not to mention if playing for the Spurs of today or at least the majority of his career under Holt/Pop, he'd have a better team around him as well.

HemisfairArena
03-18-2014, 08:08 PM
not to mention if playing for the Spurs of today or at least the majority of his career under Holt/Pop, he'd have a better team around him as well.

Robinson's team's weren't bad...he just had the miss fortune to play in the 90's when MJ and Hakeem where playing. I watched David get destroyed by Hakeem at the HemisfairArena in the semi-finals and it was brutal.

UZER
03-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Robinson's team's weren't bad...he just had the miss fortune to play in the 90's when MJ and Hakeem where playing. I watched David get destroyed by Hakeem at the HemisfairArena in the semi-finals and it was brutal.

Hemisfair Arena, HemisfairArena? Losing some cred with that tid bit.

Sybok
03-18-2014, 08:25 PM

They went back over there and played. Don't you know that?

Boomersgold
03-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Bill Russell

HemisfairArena
03-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Youre right....I got confused with Barkley ripping our heart out in the semi's against David at the Hemisfair and Hakeem doing it at the Alamodome.

TDMVPDPOY
03-18-2014, 08:28 PM
the myth that is wilt chamberlain needs to be mention, i think he would excel in t odays league against the monkeyballers,

but if he played during the 90s-2010 against real skilled big man c/pf, i dont think he will have those monster stats

theres more to skill then relying on monkeyball to get ur stats

Katherine Robinson
03-18-2014, 08:34 PM
the myth that is wilt chamberlain needs to be mention, i think he would excel in t odays league against the monkeyballers,

but if he played during the 90s-2010 against real skilled big man c/pf, i dont think he will have those monster stats

theres more to skill then relying on monkeyball to get ur stats

Very true, Wilt isn't nearly as good as some knuckle draggers around here would lead you to believe. Perhaps the best "monkeyballer" the world as seen and nothing more.

lefty
03-18-2014, 08:44 PM

Pop would have benched him in game 6

Blake
03-18-2014, 08:53 PM
Probably half of the Celtics in the HOF

CitizenDwayne
03-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Nique

Care to explain that one?

spurraider21
03-18-2014, 09:18 PM
bob cousy

ezau
03-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Robinson is a stronger and better version of Chris Bosh. The Admiral would be perfect in today's NBA wherein centers should know how to guard the PnR on a nightly basis.

Trill Clinton
03-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Larry bird
Pistol pete
Jerry west
Tom chambers
Bill walton

Off the top of my head

CitizenDwayne
03-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Larry bird
Pistol pete
Jerry west
Tom chambers
Bill walton

Off the top of my head

Forgot Rick Barry

Roger Freemason Jr.
03-18-2014, 10:24 PM
What about Gervin?

UZER
03-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Chris Mullen? Kevin Johnson? Tim Hardaway?

lefty
03-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Lol Bird would have even better stats vs today's dumb Monkeyballers

Plus, he would light it up from downtown with the zone D.
Bird only took 1 three point shot per game during his career

Juggity
03-18-2014, 11:36 PM

His teams were pretty bad tbh. When the best supporting player you've ever had is 1993-95 Dennis Rodman, who didn't even want to be in San Antonio, let alone follow the team game plan, you know things are bad.

spurraider21
03-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Lol Bird would have even better stats vs today's dumb Monkeyballers

Plus, he would light it up from downtown with the zone D.
Bird only took 1 three point shot per game during his career
you didn't realize Trill just rattled off the names of a bunch of white players :lol

superjames1992
03-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Larry bird
Pistol pete
Jerry west
Tom chambers
Bill walton

Off the top of my head

Just naming off a bunch of white players, tbh? :lol

lefty
03-19-2014, 12:57 AM
you didn't realize Trill just rattled off the names of a bunch of white players :lol
dammit :lol

HI-FI
03-19-2014, 01:00 AM
dammit :lol
yeah Troll Chimpin was just doing his thing.

Spursfanfromafar
03-19-2014, 03:59 AM
Add Walt Bellamy, Elvin Hayes to the list.

ambchang
03-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Care to explain that one?

I think, or at least I read the OP as "which NBA player would be viewed in a different light if advanced stats were available back in their day?", but not as "which old timer would have done differently in today's game".

So, with that in context .....

Nique was a high flying dunker who wasn't overly efficient. He was a great player to watch, as his "human highlight film" moniker would have suggested. He was very dominant of the ball (see his very high usage rate) but not a great passer. He creates for himself, and rarely anybody else.

He takes up a huge area of the court on offense, so it's tough to have people around him to make a smooth flowing offense. He would sometimes drive, sometimes post, and sometimes shoot a jumper, but he requires a lot of isos, which weren't over efficient.

He also doesn't play much defense.

Let me be clear though, Nique is one of my favourite players to watch, very dynamic and creating scoring the ball. Combines both power and finesse in his offensive game. He's the third best in game dunker of all time (behind Carter and Kemp). Love to watch him, doesn't want him leading the Spurs though (well, 96 was past his prime, so that doesn't count).

JohnnyMax
03-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Larry Bird at his peak is easily better than Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Duncan. Only Michael Jordan is in his league.

UZER
03-19-2014, 07:20 AM
I think, or at least I read the OP as "which NBA player would be viewed in a different light if advanced stats were available back in their day?", but not as "which old timer would have done differently in today's game".

So, with that in context .....

Nique was a high flying dunker who wasn't overly efficient. He was a great player to watch, as his "human highlight film" moniker would have suggested. He was very dominant of the ball (see his very high usage rate) but not a great passer. He creates for himself, and rarely anybody else.

He takes up a huge area of the court on offense, so it's tough to have people around him to make a smooth flowing offense. He would sometimes drive, sometimes post, and sometimes shoot a jumper, but he requires a lot of isos, which weren't over efficient.

He also doesn't play much defense.

Let me be clear though, Nique is one of my favourite players to watch, very dynamic and creating scoring the ball. Combines both power and finesse in his offensive game. He's the third best in game dunker of all time (behind Carter and Kemp). Love to watch him, doesn't want him leading the Spurs though (well, 96 was past his prime, so that doesn't count).

Yes, exactly. Wasn't saying which player could play in todays game, but which back in the day player, which we considered great / or really good for that matter, would be exposed in his era by advanced stats available today.

Great take on nique. I'll never forget his rim check windmill dunk in the all star game that kinda started signaling the downside of his career.

ambchang
03-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Larry Bird at his peak is easily better than Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Duncan. Only Michael Jordan is in his league.

Bird was dominant, but I wouldn't necessarily say that he was obviously more so than Lebron and Jordan, or even Duncan at their peaks, but he was certainly up there.

One thing that would change though is how people would view Bird's defense, he played very smart team defense back in the day, and I think he would be viewed differently with advanced stats back then.

In terms of how well his game would translate to today's game, he would be dominant as well. His passing game, his mid and long range shooting, and his bball IQ will let break down defenses, even in today's game. His defense though, I am not sure how well that would translate.

lefty
03-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Lebron and Bird have more impact on a team than Jordan

Look at Bird's impact on the Celtics during his rookie season (and he didnt have McHale and Chief yet) or Lebron carrying the Cavs deep into the playoffs

The Bulls won 55 games in 1994 and were 1 controversial call away from moving to the ECF.
Could they win a title without MJ?
No.
But MJ was the difference maker, helping them win those series by making clutch shots and aso getting those Jordan calls.
(He still shits on Kobe, though)