PDA

View Full Version : Two things I have been noticing

sexinthatsx
03-19-2014, 10:11 PM
1. Marco Belinelli has been getting WIDE OPEN transition 3's on offense, but none of the PG's bringing the ball up the court is willing to pass it to him. Why is that?! He's always the first one to spring down the court for the cherry pick yet he never gets the ball...

2. Make no mistake, Ginobili's stats and percentages this year are sky high because teams focus less on Ginobili as a scoring threat now; everybody is too busy expending their defense on Marco Belinelli or Danny Green on the 3's. As a result, Ginobili is getting wide open shot.

exstatic
03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
1. Marco Belinelli has been getting WIDE OPEN transition 3's on offense, but none of the PG's bringing the ball up the court is willing to pass it to him. Why is that?! He's always the first one to spring down the court for the cherry pick yet he never gets the ball...

2. Make no mistake, Ginobili's stats and percentages this year are sky high because teams focus less on Ginobili as a scoring threat now; everybody is too busy expending their defense on Marco Belinelli or Danny Green on the 3's. As a result, Ginobili is getting wide open shot.
Manu's stats are sky high because he doesn't have to do EVERYTHING off the bench this year. He was expected to be the primary scorer AND play maker last season. He can play off the ball this year at times, and he gets some real bunnies by just diving and cutting.

Raven
03-19-2014, 10:45 PM
belinelli is probably having a hystorical year in getting wide open threes.. Can't remember anyone ever having that many open shots. manu magic tbh

superjames1992
03-19-2014, 10:48 PM
belinelli is probably having a hystorical year in getting wide open threes.. Can't remember anyone ever having that many open shots. manu magic tbh
Danny and Patty get as many open threes, tbh. "The System" gives almost everyone their fair share of wide open treys.

sexinthatsx
03-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Danny and Patty get as many open threes, tbh. "The System" gives almost everyone their fair share of wide open treys.

Pretty much. The only problem is that there are times where it's obvious that Marco has a WIDE OPEN 3 in transition on offense, yet he doesn't get the pass for it. It's just kind of frustrating.

heyheymymy
03-19-2014, 11:19 PM
ive seen that with lots on players, not just marco. seems like the spurs have too many options, ive seen leonard and manu if not others wide open and waving hands frantically to get the attention of parker or mills.

exstatic
03-19-2014, 11:36 PM
OK, calm the fuck down. The Spurs are NOT the D'Antoni Suns. They do not take a ton of transition 3s. You occasionally take that shot to keep the defense honest and the center fast break lane open. If Pop wanted that shot a lot, Tony would be making that pass and the shots would be going up.

sexinthatsx
03-20-2014, 12:05 AM
OK, calm the fuck down. The Spurs are NOT the D'Antoni Suns. They do not take a ton of transition 3s. You occasionally take that shot to keep the defense honest and the center fast break lane open. If Pop wanted that shot a lot, Tony would be making that pass and the shots would be going up.

lol I am calm. I'm just saying sometimes he's open enough to make a transition 3, or even sprint to the hoop for an easy basket. Obviously you don't do it every play, but occasionally like you said.

EVAY
03-20-2014, 12:13 AM
ive seen that with lots on players, not just marco. seems like the spurs have too many options, ive seen leonard and manu if not others wide open and waving hands frantically to get the attention of parker or mills.

The reason is that Parker or Mills has been told by Pop what to play…and if it is something other than that, the ball handler will get in trouble with Pop for not setting up the play that was called.

exstatic
03-20-2014, 12:23 AM
The reason is that Parker or Mills has been told by Pop what to play…and if it is something other than that, the ball handler will get in trouble with Pop for not setting up the play that was called.

Pop gives them some freedom in transition, but realistically, the corner three is NOT a better shot than a transition layup. The percentage just isn't there. It's a good shot in the halfcourt, because you rarely have layup opportunities there. The layup is probably at least a 70% shot. If you run the break 10 times and shoot the 3, you'll likely hit 4 for 12 points. You'll likely hit 7 layups, minimum, for 14 points. The Spurs are about the percentages.

Captivus
03-20-2014, 06:29 AM
This is another thread that makes me wish I had the "tracking cameras" information available...just to see exactly how many open shots Belli has, how many times he is open and doesnt get the ball.
More on topic: Agree with everybody, he is no longer in charge of doing everything.

Old School 44
03-20-2014, 09:39 AM
This is another thread that makes me wish I had the "tracking cameras" information available...just to see exactly how many open shots Belli has, how many times he is open and doesnt get the ball.
More on topic: Agree with everybody, he is no longer in charge of doing everything.
Not only that, but the available shooters on the Spurs is just crazy. Marco, Danny, Patty, Manu, Kawhi, Diaw and even Parker. From the defenses perspective who are you going to rotate to? With all those capable shooters, it really is a pick your poison.

Cry Havoc
03-20-2014, 09:50 AM
lol I am calm. I'm just saying sometimes he's open enough to make a transition 3, or even sprint to the hoop for an easy basket. Obviously you don't do it every play, but occasionally like you said.

Here's the thing: The Spurs can run their halfcourt set and get an open 3 at any point in the game. Often that's an even better shot because the players don't have to come from a dead run to a full stop. Set shots are much better from 3 than ones taken when you're trying to slow down and control your body and keep your feet behind the line.

Easy transition layups are valuable. They're the highest percentage shot in the game most of the time, they frustrate defenses (who may begin raging at each other for poor rotations), and they are good for momentum.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Exactly, when you have a combination of Mills, Manu, Belinelli, Diaw Bonner all capable 40% 3 point. Biggest improvement from last year, apart from Marco's playmaking/d over Neal's, but is Diaw's shooting. He is shooting 45% from 3.

Pop always has either Duncan or Splitter on the court to set screens. So it is pick and pop all day for the Spurs players. And when you a 50%, 46%, 45%, and 38% 3 point shooters coming off the bench, that is just too much for most teams to compete with, having to contend against a great starting 5 and a great bench.

Kabals
03-20-2014, 10:42 AM
but is Diaw's shooting. He is shooting 45% from 3.

And wasn't he shooting something like 30% 2 months ago ? Him and Kawhi shot crazy 3% since the all star break, and it's really impressive considering they take a lot of 3 above the break.

jARS mEsH sEt
03-20-2014, 12:12 PM

Yeah this is pretty much wrong. The spurs don't have a quota on shots. You didn't say this explicitly but your post strongly implies it. The spurs take the best shot available - period. If someone's wide open for a transition 3 and our PGs are consistently missing that, then that's something that's probably going to be pointed out by the coaching staff.

TheGoldStandard
03-20-2014, 12:23 PM

Wow I actually agree with you.

Kabals
03-20-2014, 12:31 PM
The spurs take the best shot available - period. If someone's wide open for a transition 3 and our PGs are consistently missing that, then that's something that's probably going to be pointed out by the coaching staff.

Unless the rim is really well guarded transition 3 is never the best shot. Lay up = high % + chance to draw a foul.

And even on non fast break transition that's not really something you would want to take each time.

sexinthatsx
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Here's the thing: The Spurs can run their halfcourt set and get an open 3 at any point in the game. Often that's an even better shot because the players don't have to come from a dead run to a full stop. Set shots are much better from 3 than ones taken when you're trying to slow down and control your body and keep your feet behind the line.

Easy transition layups are valuable. They're the highest percentage shot in the game most of the time, they frustrate defenses (who may begin raging at each other for poor rotations), and they are good for momentum.

Okay, while my main point was that Marco gets wide open 3's in transition, I still understand that the percentage of shooting even a wide open 3 is a lot less than a layup. But what I didn't post originally is that if you watch Marco play, he is ALWAYS the first one down the court, and often is a one man fast break for a cherry pick. A lot of times, there's only 1 opposing player to sprint back on defense so Marco can easily take it to the basket for a layup or a high chance of getting fouled.

I noticed this in a ton of games. Next time the Spurs play, just watch Marco. The television screen obviously will focus on the player who is taking the ball down the court, as well as the opposing team getting back on D.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Yeah this is pretty much wrong. The spurs don't have a quota on shots. You didn't say this explicitly but your post strongly implies it. The spurs take the best shot available - period. If someone's wide open for a transition 3 and our PGs are consistently missing that, then that's something that's probably going to be pointed out by the coaching staff.

Yes, because I have seen Patty, Beli, even Kawhi hit a bunch of those this season. taking it from someone who plays basketball alot and shots around 50% from NBA 3 point range (I use to practice alot), a well place pass off transition, is an easier 3 to shot than one from spotting up. You just flow into your shot.

And honestly, you can tell right when you get the pass if the shot will feel right or not. So you have that split second to decide to shot or just take the ball down and wait for your teammates to come down the floor.

SpurAddict561
03-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Ballaneli was the most underrated free agent signing in the league this past offseason.