PDA

View Full Version : Bulletproof coffee

Fabbs
03-20-2014, 11:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQAl3BASNYs&feature=youtu.be
A bunch of hype or great info?

How to not crash after the coffee *high*, and indeed how to experience good highs (increased brain function, yada yada) like never before on coffee.
How to not have to run to the wizzer while being on coffee. He says altho coffee is a diuretic, the excess wizzing is due to mycotoxins in the coffee, which he is going to tell you how to remove using mainly good non moldy beans and:

1. Grass fed butter like Kerry Gold
2. Medium Chain Triglycerates (MCTs) like extract of coconut oil.

Says most beans sold (91%) have fungal problems.
Of course he sells both beans and the extract. :rolleyes
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/

leemajors
03-20-2014, 12:04 PM
the mycotoxin stuff is complete and utter bs.

Fabbs
03-21-2014, 10:53 AM
the mycotoxin stuff is complete and utter bs.
expound por favor.

leemajors
03-21-2014, 11:08 AM
expound por favor.

Asprey will not reveal his process as to how his beans are selected and tested at all.

Skip to 2:18 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh0xB4OJdpQ#t=8279

leemajors
03-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I am not dissing how good people say the coffee is, apparently adding grass fed butter and mct oil to your coffee is great. I just think Asprey is full of shit - probably due to him popping ProVigil 24/7

Fabbs
03-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Asprey will not reveal his process as to how his beans are selected and tested at all.

Skip to
:worthy: leemajors
Can we keep searching and see if adding grass fed butter and MCT oil to coffee is bullshit?

leemajors
03-21-2014, 12:57 PM
:worthy: leemajors
Can we keep searching and see if adding grass fed butter and MCT oil to coffee is bullshit?

I think MCT oil is just extracted from coconut oil, and grassfed butter is pretty good for you so I wouldn't go that far.

Katherine Robinson
03-21-2014, 01:05 PM
What a schmuck, unsubstantiated claims and idiocy hidden by fancy terms.

Fabbs
03-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Related, as to Aspreys cred during the Joe Rogan interview:

Asprey:
"I paid for my computer science studies selling caffiene t-shirts said Caffeine My Drug of Choice, i sold those to 12 countries over the web.
It turns out it was the 1st product ever sold over the internet so I'm like the 1st e-commerce guy. It was e ither me or Virtual Vineyards they guys who became Wine.com, like on the same day we started selling."
Wonder how that will do with the fact checker? :lol

xmas1997
03-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Hype.
Never had any of those symptoms.

Fabbs
03-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I think MCT oil is just extracted from coconut oil, and grassfed butter is pretty good for you so I wouldn't go that far.
I mean as relates to having for breakfast in coffee to allegedly enhance.

Asprey continues chanting:
"It makes better cellular membranes with.......
MCT oil will have effect you're looking for,
you don't have any food cravings or any hunger at all. You just have that for breakfast.
No sugar, no protein. Your body doesn't think you've eaten. So you get all the benefits of fasting like the intermittent fast except you get all your energy from the fat.
MCT oil is only fat out there burned without going thru the liver.
You body treats it like a carb even tho it's an oil.
And it helps to trigger ketosis which is fat burning mode in your body.
Huge boost in cognitive energy..."
(Asprey goes on to name drop some people who he claims want to blow him)

FWIW here is a link my buddy sent me from Dr. Andrew Weil on the subject of butter in coffee....
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401262/Should-I-Drink-Bulletproof-Coffee.html

Exerpt:
My friend and colleague, Jeffrey Gladd, M.D., has been experimenting with coffee made according to Asprey's recipe and reports good results. "It keeps hunger at bay and has enhanced my mental clarity and sharpness 20 to 25 percent," he says. Jeff believes that a morning dose of almost pure fat may help stimulate the body's fat-burning potential, leading to easier weight loss. He advises using organic coffee and butter from grass-fed cows for optimal results.

I continue to recommend my anti-inflammatory diet as the eating plan most consistent with current nutrition science. It recommends moderate consumption of fat in general and saturated fat in particular. Blending a tablespoon or so of high-quality, unsalted, organic butter into your morning coffee or tea is unlikely to do you any harm, and is a worthwhile experiment for the sake of both taste and health if you are inclined to try it.

xmas1997
03-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Don't know about all that "other" stuff. Just give me my two cups of regular morning coffee and I am just fine.
In fact, I don't even need it, but I do like the ritual.
Plus the oil loosens up the bowels.
Too much info?
:lol

Fabbs
03-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Don't know about all that "other" stuff. Just give me my two cups of regular morning coffee and I am just fine.
In fact, I don't even need it, but I do like the ritual.
Plus the oil loosens up the bowels.
Too much info?
:lol
Well, it is common to have increased whizzing along with the crash that comes after the high.
So while you don't experience that, many do.
So IF this butter and oil really does enhance coffees effects while negating the downers, that would be cool. Pretty easy to do. Altho the MCT oil is not cheap.

Surely someone has studied this with a legit study. Back to Dr Jeffrey Gladd whom i quoted above, while he may be legit, he is just one voice.
Plus Gladd sells supplements including MCT oil. :rolleyes

xmas1997
03-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Well, it is common to have increased whizzing along with the crash that comes after the high.
So while you don't experience that, many do.
So IF this butter and oil really does enhance coffees effects while negating the downers, that would be cool. Pretty easy to do. Altho the MCT oil is not cheap.

Surely someone has studied this with a legit study. Back to Dr Jeffrey Gladd whom i quoted above, while he may be legit, he is just one voice.
Plus Gladd sells supplements including MCT oil. :rolleyes

I don't disagree with your opinion, you are probably right.