PDA

View Full Version : Tips for travelling in the USA

MI21
03-20-2014, 08:01 PM
So in late November, December and early January I will be visiting the states for the first time and will be towing my wife along with me for 42 days. I'm not old at 28, so I'm looking for a pretty active experience while I'm there, I don't want to hike for a week or anything, but I don't want to spend my entire time shopping and eating.

I'm starting in Cali and need some advice and what might be good things to do or good destinations or places to visit. I know all the usuals like Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Fran, LA etc.. but are places like Santa Barbara, San Diego etc worth a visit? What is Yosemite like at that time of year? Lake Tahoe? What are the best things to do in LA? How long is to long in Vegas? My wife has been to LA before and didn't particularly like it but I know there must be shitloads to do... baseline bum I have seen you talk about California before and you seem to be a fucking encyclopaedia. Any tips mate?

I want to make the pilgrimage to SA just for 1 or 2 nights to catch a Spurs game at home.. what else is there to do in or around SA? Is it best to fly there from Cali? We then want to go to New Orleans, Miami then Orlando etc and snake our way up the coast to New York for 10-12 days etc..

Basically, I guess I'm just asking how many nights I may need in various cities to get the most out of it, is there any places that I should definitely avoid, is there any hidden gems that I should definitely get to, what places you just maybe need a day in, what is it like driving through states etc or is it best to bus/train/fly (prefer not to fly everywhere)?

I want to catch NBA games as well along the way, obviously there is no schedule yet but the best place to get tickets at short notice would be where? I will book some, but I hope to buy some late in the piece so I can get some good prices :)

I know there are a lot of Spurs fans who have done the voyage many times RuffnReadyOzStyle alamo50 I would be interested in hearing your thoughts too along with everyone else.. I'm asking everyone I know because I'm not going to be able to get back to the USA for at least 4-5 years after this, so I wanna do it right..and I'm sure there is lots of knowledge here that can be shared.

Any help is much appreciated!

xmas1997
03-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I would recommend going to Disneyland while in California.
Santa Fe, Taos, and Los Alamos are all pretty neat places to visit in their own ways, but if you are going to rent a car, then by all means fly to San Antonio, takes too long to drive although the vistas along the way are pretty fantastic such as the Grand Canyon.

Katherine Robinson
03-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Best tip I can offer is don't go to SA

DJR210
03-20-2014, 08:20 PM
I don't know if there is a bad time to visit Yosemite, tbh. I've been during the summer, and it was fucking amazing. One of my favorite things to do in California is take Pacific Coast Highway and cruise it. It takes you from southern California all the way into Washington, and the views are unbelievable.

As for Vegas, in my personal opinion I think 3 nights is the sweet spot. By the fourth day I was ready to get the hell out of there. I could only fathom so much booze, blow, and buffet.

xmas1997
03-20-2014, 08:28 PM
The giant Redwood trees in Sequoia National Park in California is pretty fantastic too.
I agree about Yosemite National Park, pretty fantastic.
I would rather visit Lake Tahoe than Vegas, but that is just me, gambling bores me to tears.
If you smoke weed be sure to go to Colorado, maybe the Great Divide, also Estes Park is unique too.

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Winter isn't the best time for Yosemite since the best hiking in the high country and at the Glacier Point area will be off limits most likely due to the roads being snowed over. However, the Yosemite Valley is still an awesome place. A basic winter visit could be 2-3 nights, with a hike up to Nevada Fall on one of the days. Beautiful area and not too bad a ball-buster, being about 7 miles roundtrip with maybe 2000 feet of elevation gain. If the road to Mariposa Grove is open you might consider making it 3 nights, as the hike through Mariposa Grove to see the Giant Sequoias there is pretty amazing, and a very easy 7 mile roundtrip if the snow isn't too deep. Then again, you guys are in shape so if you have ever cross country skied, you could do a cross country ski trip from from Badger Pass to Glacier Point, spend the night at the Glacier Point Ski Hut (http://www.yosemitepark.com/glacier-point-hut.aspx), and then ski back to the Badger Pass ski area. I'd aim for no earlier than mid December, as in a low snow year the ski area might not be open until then (though in a historically low snow year like this one was for California, it might not open until mid January). The view at Glacier Point really is really incredible; I think it's the best view in the lower 48 of the US that can be driven to, including the Grand Canyon. Plus they have groomed ski tracks to it in the winter after the ski resort opens. You can also snow-shoe, but I find snow-shoeing to be very slow I don't know about making that distance in short winter days. Also get tire chains, which you will not be likely to need but will be required to carry to drive into the park. If you're comfortable with winter camping in snow I can offer some more suggestions.

But if the Giant Sequoias are really important to see, Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park shit all over Mariposa Grove in Yosemite. The Giant Forest is unreal to drive through, as the Giant Sequoias are everywhere. Not sure about which roads are open, though I think the main one is open year-round.

In San Francisco make sure to drive up to Muir Woods, not too far across the Golden Gate. They have Coastal Redwoods which are cousins to the Giant Sequoias; the Coastal Redwoods are the tallest trees in the world, while the Giant Sequoias are the most massive. Dungenness Crab and cioppino are not to be missed in San Francisco if you love seafood. Unfortunately my favorite restaurant in SF closed a few years ago, so I don't have any great recommendations.

For San Diego, I thought the world famous zoo was crap. If you're into aviation they have the best air and space museum I have ever seen; even better than the national one at the Smithsonian. And you could visit the aircraft carrier and see why David Robinson got that exemption to not have to serve 5 years after graduating the Naval Academy.

For the LA area my favorite thing to do is to hike Mount San Jacinto near Palm Springs, about 100 miles East of LA. The peak is 10,800 feet or so while the Coachella Valley is only 500 feet elevation, so the views from the summit are airplane-like if you hike it on a clear day. If you do it before mid December you have a reasonable shot of it being snow-free. Big Bear Lake probably has the best skiiing in the LA area. Joshua Tree (also near Palm Springs) has great rock climbing, whether you're talking technical shit with belays or easy class 2/3 scrambling.

The two best views of downtown LA are at the top of the short hike from the Griffith Observatory and from the parking lot at Dodger Stadium. That view near Griffith Observatory is awesome because you're on the ridge separating the valley from Los Angeles, and in each direction you see huge cities.

I have never driven the Angeles Crest Highway in the winter, but if it's open, it's the best drive in the LA area. Mount Wilson has a great view down onto LA on a REALLY clear day, but those are very few and far between in my experience (no hike required; you can drive to it). Since the water will be way too cold to swim or surf in, the best beach is Zuma Beach near Malibu. It's got a nice view from on top of a rock that is an easy walk up. If you were going in summer I'd recommend Huntington Beach for its large waves, but you probably get better in Australia anyways.

Santa Barbara isn't my cup of tea, but the GF will probably love it if she's into wine.

For the best skiing you might take highway 395 up from LA to Mammoth. It's just outside Yosemite, but the road into the park will be closed and there is no getting across the Sierra Nevada in the winter by car; you have to drive around it. Or you could catch it coming in from Las Vegas. Make sure to take a drive through Death Valley on the way if so.

Don't know shit about Tahoe. Not a fan of Las Vegas. Spend no more than 2 nights in San Antonio. It's a cool place to live since it has dirt cheap cost of living, no state tax, lots of Mexican bitches and Mexican food, but no way does it deserve taking time away from areas like San Francisco, LA, Yosemite, San Diego, New Orleans, etc. Better place to live than to visit definitely.

Venti Quattro
03-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Don't drop the soap

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Also, don't stay at the Ahwahnee in your Yosemite time. It's like a one-star hotel at a five-star price. Yosemite Lodge at the Falls isn't cheap either, but is a LOT cheaper than the Ahwahnee for a room. Make the short walk to Lower Yosemite Falls about 8-9AM to see the ice crashing down from the falls as the Sun first hits it if you're there in mid-late December or January.

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 09:22 PM
The drive between LA and SA fucking sucks. I-10 is particularly boring, especially through southern New Mexico. At least on I-40 you can hit the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater, but it's still not worth doing instead of just taking the 3 hour flight.

HI-FI
03-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Winter isn't the best time for Yosemite since the best hiking in the high country and at the Glacier Point area will be off limits most likely due to the roads being snowed over. However, the Yosemite Valley is still an awesome place. A basic winter visit could be 2-3 nights, with a hike up to Nevada Fall on one of the days. Beautiful area and not too bad a ball-buster, being about 7 miles roundtrip with maybe 2000 feet of elevation gain. If the road to Mariposa Grove is open you might consider making it 3 nights, as the hike through Mariposa Grove to see the Giant Sequoias there is pretty amazing, and a very easy 7 mile roundtrip if the snow isn't too deep. Then again, you guys are in shape so if you have ever cross country skied, you could do a cross country ski trip from from Badger Pass to Glacier Point, spend the night at the Glacier Point Ski Hut (http://www.yosemitepark.com/glacier-point-hut.aspx), and then ski back to the Badger Pass ski area. I'd aim for no earlier than mid December, as in a low snow year the ski area might not be open until then (though in a historically low snow year like this one was for California, it might not open until mid January). The view at Glacier Point really is really incredible; I think it's the best view in the lower 48 of the US that can be driven to, including the Grand Canyon. Plus they have groomed ski tracks to it in the winter after the ski resort opens. You can also snow-shoe, but I find snow-shoeing to be very slow I don't know about making that distance in short winter days. Also get tire chains, which you will not be likely to need but will be required to carry to drive into the park. If you're comfortable with winter camping in snow I can offer some more suggestions.

But if the Giant Sequoias are really important to see, Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park shit all over Mariposa Grove in Yosemite. The Giant Forest is unreal to drive through, as the Giant Sequoias are everywhere. Not sure about which roads are open, though I think the main one is open year-round.

In San Francisco make sure to drive up to Muir Woods, not too far across the Golden Gate. They have Coastal Redwoods which are cousins to the Giant Sequoias; the Coastal Redwoods are the tallest trees in the world, while the Giant Sequoias are the most massive. Dungenness Crab and cioppino are not to be missed in San Francisco if you love seafood. Unfortunately my favorite restaurant in SF closed a few years ago, so I don't have any great recommendations.

For San Diego, I thought the world famous zoo was crap. If you're into aviation they have the best air and space museum I have ever seen; even better than the national one at the Smithsonian. And you could visit the aircraft carrier and see why David Robinson got that exemption to not have to serve 5 years after graduating the Naval Academy.

For the LA area my favorite thing to do is to hike Mount San Jacinto near Palm Springs, about 100 miles East of LA. The peak is 10,800 feet or so while the Coachella Valley is only 500 feet elevation, so the views from the summit are airplane-like if you hike it on a clear day. If you do it before mid December you have a reasonable shot of it being snow-free. Big Bear Lake probably has the best skiiing in the LA area. Joshua Tree (also near Palm Springs) has great rock climbing, whether you're talking technical shit with belays or easy class 2/3 scrambling.

The two best views of downtown LA are at the top of the short hike from the Griffith Observatory and from the parking lot at Dodger Stadium. That view near Griffith Observatory is awesome because you're on the ridge separating the valley from Los Angeles, and in each direction you see huge cities.

I have never driven the Angeles Crest Highway in the winter, but if it's open, it's the best drive in the LA area. Mount Wilson has a great view down onto LA on a REALLY clear day, but those are very few and far between in my experience (no hike required; you can drive to it). Since the water will be way too cold to swim or surf in, the best beach is Zuma Beach near Malibu. It's got a nice view from on top of a rock that is an easy walk up. If you were going in summer I'd recommend Huntington Beach for its large waves, but you probably get better in Australia anyways.

Santa Barbara isn't my cup of tea, but the GF will probably love it if she's into wine.

For the best skiing you might take highway 395 up from LA to Mammoth. It's just outside Yosemite, but the road into the park will be closed and there is no getting across the Sierra Nevada in the winter by car; you have to drive around it. Or you could catch it coming in from Las Vegas. Make sure to take a drive through Death Valley on the way if so.

Don't know shit about Tahoe. Not a fan of Las Vegas. Spend no more than 2 nights in San Antonio. It's a cool place to live since it has dirt cheap cost of living, no state tax, lots of Mexican bitches and Mexican food, but no way does it deserve taking time away from areas like San Francisco, LA, Yosemite, San Diego, New Orleans, etc. Better place to live than to visit definitely.
so I take it you're really into hiking and stargazing?

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 09:32 PM
so I take it you're really into hiking and stargazing?

It's pretty cool shit.

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Forgot to mention one other thing. Mid-December until early February are fucking allergy hell in San Antonio and Austin, because of the cedar pollen. Ask Ruffy how much he liked that shit. :lol

Mugen
03-20-2014, 09:33 PM
You and your wife are going to get fat(ter?) tbh.

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 09:35 PM
I don't know if there is a bad time to visit Yosemite, tbh. I've been during the summer, and it was fucking amazing. One of my favorite things to do in California is take Pacific Coast Highway and cruise it. It takes you from southern California all the way into Washington, and the views are unbelievable.

As for Vegas, in my personal opinion I think 3 nights is the sweet spot. By the fourth day I was ready to get the hell out of there. I could only fathom so much booze, blow, and buffet.

You ever hike out in Yosemite?

HI-FI
03-20-2014, 09:39 PM
It's pretty cool shit.
I like taking real long walks, always have, I like looking up at stars and shit, but I don't think I've ever gone beyond that. I like a bit of it but not enough to go full Rambo/Jeremiah Johnson. I guess we're all wired differently though.

For the OP, Vegas is alright, I always thought I'd hate it but actually like it out there. It's excessive and ridiculous, but even when going with friends, I like watching the bizarre nature of humanity. Not much into gambling or even drinking, but I like cities where you can walk around real late.

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Forgot to mention Snow Creek and Upper Yosemite Falls are also two good winter day-hiking options, since the hikes are up a south-facing slope that gets a lot of sun. They're both closer to about 3000 feet of elevation gain though, so they're significantly harder than the Nevada Fall hike I was talking about earlier.

DJR210
03-20-2014, 10:10 PM
You ever hike out in Yosemite?

Yeah. Hiked up to the top of one of the mountains out there. It's an extinct volcano that's now a lake. I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about. Nearly shit my pants when some wiseguy bear decided to hang out in some meadow right off of our trail. The weekend we were out there a meteor shower occurred, it was a fucking sight to see.

xmas1997
03-20-2014, 10:17 PM

I concur, especially about spending no more than two days here.

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Yeah. Hiked up to the top of one of the mountains out there. It's an extinct volcano that's now a lake. I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about. Nearly shit my pants when some wiseguy bear decided to hang out in some meadow right off of our trail. The weekend we were out there a meteor shower occurred, it was a fucking sight to see.

The only extinct volcano I can think of that's within a dayhike of the road is Mount Gibbs, which has a small lake to its south at Mono Pass and then some larger lakes a mile or so farther south. There is no trail whatsoever to its summit though. But that lake is about 10,700 (camped there a couple of years ago) at the base of Gibbs, which is about 12,700 feet at the summit (great class 2 scramble up from the south if you choose your route carefully, but a nightmare to come down that face with all the small metamorphic rock that just slides out under your feet). Ireland Lake is up pretty high not too far from Mount Lyell and Mount Maclure, but I don't think those are volcanoes. Mount Dana might have been a volcano too (it's just north of Mount Gibbs), but the lake nearby is Ellery Lake that's right off the Dana Plateau about 10,000 feet (summit of Dana is 13,000). Not sure which mountain you're talking about.

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2014, 10:43 PM
should participate in knockout

DD
03-20-2014, 10:54 PM
As soon as the Spurs game's over leave SA immediately. You might ask why right now but your question will be answered long before the game is over. There's so many wonderful and unique places in this country that you don't need to waste valuable time in that shithole. See Austin instead. Miami is great (biased), but I wouldn't spend more than a couple days here if you wanna hit all EC spots. From Miami you should go to Charleston, SC--one of the most underrated cities in the country. Then go to DC to catch the monuments and holocaust museum (gotta do it once, I guess). If you have the time drive 40 miles to Baltimore (mah home city:cry) and check out the Inner Harbor...beautiful, and it smells like one giant delicious crabcake. After that I'd go to New York and spend 2-3 days there. Love it or hate it NYC is one of the most amazing cities in the world. Skip Philly, nothing to see but shitty drivers and a plethora of vagrants. Hit up Boston after that.

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 10:57 PM
As soon as the Spurs game's over leave SA immediately. You might ask why right now but your question will be answered long before the game is over. There's so many wonderful and unique places in this country that you don't need to waste valuable time in that shithole. See Austin instead. Miami is great (biased), but I wouldn't spend more than a couple days here if you wanna hit all EC spots. From Miami you should go to Charleston, SC--one of the most underrated cities in the country. Then go to DC to catch the monuments and holocaust museum (gotta do it once, I guess). If you have the time drive 40 miles to baltimore (mah home city:cry) and check out the Inner Harbor...beutiful, and it smells like one giant delicious crabcake. After that I'd go to New York and spend 2-3 days there. Love it or hate it NYC is one of the most amazing cities in the world. Skip Philly, nothing to see but shitty drivers and a plethora of vagrants. Hit up Boston after that.

You forgot to recommend the WMD in Baltimore tbh

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Don't sweat the black bears in Yosemite though. They're mostly harmless and no one has been killed by one since the 1880s. Now Yellowstone or Glacier NP is a whole different story with the grizzlies, as quite a few people have been killed by them the last 5 years or so due to beetle populations ravaging the whitebark pines, whose nuts form most of their diet.

DD
03-20-2014, 11:04 PM
You forgot to recommend the WMD in Baltimore tbh

Crabcakes and Heroin, that's what Maryland does!!!

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Crabcakes and Heroin, that's what Maryland does!!!

Any good places to eat near Hamsterdam?

DD
03-20-2014, 11:09 PM
White folk don't tread to those areas unless there picking up a body. Buf if i do they ain't puttin me in no vacant

baseline bum
03-20-2014, 11:12 PM
White folk don't tread to those areas unless there picking up a body. Buf if i do they ain't puttin me in no vacant

Too bad that's too late for baseball that time of year. Camden Yards is a fucking amazing place to watch a game.

HI-FI
03-20-2014, 11:16 PM
As soon as the Spurs game's over leave SA immediately. You might ask why right now but your question will be answered long before the game is over. There's so many wonderful and unique places in this country that you don't need to waste valuable time in that shithole. See Austin instead. Miami is great (biased), but I wouldn't spend more than a couple days here if you wanna hit all EC spots. From Miami you should go to Charleston, SC--one of the most underrated cities in the country. Then go to DC to catch the monuments and holocaust museum (gotta do it once, I guess). If you have the time drive 40 miles to Baltimore (mah home city:cry) and check out the Inner Harbor...beautiful, and it smells like one giant delicious crabcake. After that I'd go to New York and spend 2-3 days there. Love it or hate it NYC is one of the most amazing cities in the world. Skip Philly, nothing to see but shitty drivers and a plethora of vagrants. Hit up Boston after that.

I don't think SA is a shithole, but I know that's your schtick. I've heard from people who think that Miami is a shithole. It seems people only mention South Beach and that's it. I know for you it's a Toys R Us of coke and whores, but seems like a roach infested shithole. I got no desire to ever go. Charleston is great but it's expensive so I don't think it's underrated anymore.

I used to live in suburbs of Baltimore, but I'd take Virginia any day over Maryland, imo.

DD
03-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Too bad that's too late for baseball that time of year. Camden Yards is a fucking amazing place to watch a game.

Camden Yards and PNC Park are the best places to watch a baseball game. For anybody who tries to crowbar Fenway into the conversation go put a gun in your mouth...that tinbox is uncomfortable as shit and still sells seats with obstructed viewpoints

DD
03-20-2014, 11:23 PM
I don't think SA is a shithole, but I know that's your schtick. I've heard from people who think that Miami is a shithole. It seems people only mention South Beach and that's it. I know for you it's a Toys R Us of coke and whores, but seems like a roach infested shithole. I got no desire to ever go. Charleston is great but it's expensive so I don't think it's underrated anymore.

I used to live in suburbs of Baltimore, but I'd take Virginia any day over Maryland, imo.

:lolMy nigga...don't even attempt to compare that river of sewage to Miami. I've been to San Antonio many times and it can be wrapped up in <1 day. You can live for a year in south Florida (drug and whore free) and still not do everything there is to do/see. There's a reason people flock here when they retire or go on vacation.

Rogue
03-20-2014, 11:35 PM
first and for most... don't go aboard any Malaysian flight.

HI-FI
03-20-2014, 11:36 PM
:lolMy nigga...don't even attempt to compare that river of sewage to Miami. I've been to San Antonio many times and it can be wrapped up in <1 day. You can live for a year in south Florida (drug and whore free) and still not do everything there is to do/see. There's a reason people flock here when they retire or go on vacation.
I got issues with Texas but i'd still take it over Florida. I'm not even sure what a tour guide would show in Miami ...." well up the road is where the first Bang Bus took place. This of course was predated by Gerard Damiano filming Deep Throat in its entirety in our lovely shithole by the sea....Colin Farrel worked on his accent for Miami Vice in this club while doing copious amounts of blow....Off to the right is where 20 cubans were massacred by Columbians....". That's cool if it's your new home but I'll pass.

xmas1997
03-20-2014, 11:38 PM

As bb says, San Antonio is a great place to live especially if you have a high income, but don't believe half of what the poster above, dd, is saying because his schtick is well known to most of us.
Rather take bb advice, it is a hell of a lot more accurate.
San Antonio is one of the unique cities of the world, but two days is all you need to see it all.

DJR210
03-20-2014, 11:40 PM
The only extinct volcano I can think of that's within a dayhike of the road is Mount Gibbs, which has a small lake to its south at Mono Pass and then some larger lakes a mile or so farther south. There is no trail whatsoever to its summit though. But that lake is about 10,700 (camped there a couple of years ago) at the base of Gibbs, which is about 12,700 feet at the summit (great class 2 scramble up from the south if you choose your route carefully, but a nightmare to come down that face with all the small metamorphic rock that just slides out under your feet). Ireland Lake is up pretty high not too far from Mount Lyell and Mount Maclure, but I don't think those are volcanoes. Mount Dana might have been a volcano too (it's just north of Mount Gibbs), but the lake nearby is Ellery Lake that's right off the Dana Plateau about 10,000 feet (summit of Dana is 13,000). Not sure which mountain you're talking about.

I'd have to look it up. We weren't too far from El Capitan.

DD
03-20-2014, 11:41 PM
I got issues with Texas but i'd still take it over Florida. I'm not even sure what a tour guide would show in Miami ...." well up the road is where the first Bang Bus took place. This of course was predated by Gerard Damiano filming Deep Throat in its entirety in our lovely shithole by the sea....Colin Farrel worked on his accent for Miami Vice in this club while doing copious amounts of blow....Off to the right is where 20 cubans were massacred by Columbians....". That's cool if it's your new home but I'll pass.

Miami doesn't have tour guides, unless you're too stupid to find the water. South Beach, Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove, Midtown, the Florida Keys, Bayside/Bayfront Park, cheap cruises, the list literally goes on and on. I also wasn't bashing Texas or comparing states. I like Dallas and Austin and even Houston is pretty dece. When comparing those 2 cities though, it's just hilarious to think about:lol

DD
03-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Oh, and we don't have a lot of Mexicans. We have upgraded hispanics who aren't resigned to a life of unskilled labor--and they wisely vote Republican.

DJR210
03-20-2014, 11:44 PM
The drive between LA and SA fucking sucks. I-10 is particularly boring, especially through southern New Mexico. At least on I-40 you can hit the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater, but it's still not worth doing instead of just taking the 3 hour flight.

But...what about..."THE THING"!?!?

DD
03-20-2014, 11:52 PM
MI21, I've taken the trouble of drafting the first day's itinerary during your stay in San Antonio:

8:00 - Wake up, get breakfast.

9:00 - light snack

10:00 - See Alamo

11:00 - eat

Noon - eat

1:00 - eat

2:00 - eat

3:00 - eat

4:00 - eat

5:00 - eat

6:00 - dinner by the Riverwalk

7:30 - Spurs game. halftime and quarter breaks: eat

10:00 - leave

HI-FI
03-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Miami doesn't have tour guides, unless you're too stupid to find the water. South Beach, Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove, Midtown, the Florida Keys, Bayside/Bayfront Park, cheap cruises, the list literally goes on and on. I also wasn't bashing Texas or comparing states. I like Dallas and Austin and even Houston is pretty dece. When comparing those 2 cities though, it's just hilarious to think about:lol
I don't really care for Dallas or Houston but have friends in both. There are certain aspects I do like about those cities though, just not my cup of tea. I just don't think I'd ever spend a lot of time or money in Miami, but maybe I'll check out the Bang Bus tour. I went to Orlando once and that was enough. I'll try to send money to Miami if it gets fucked up from a hurricane though.

xmas1997
03-20-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't really care for Dallas or Houston but have friends in both. There are certain aspects I do like about those cities though, just not my cup of tea. I just don't think I'd ever spend a lot of time or money in Miami, but maybe I'll check out the Bang Bus tour. I went to Orlando once and that was enough. I'll try to send money to Miami if it gets fucked up from a hurricane though.

A waste of money IMHO.
:lol

benefactor
03-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Austin shits all over Dallas and Houston tbh.

DD
03-20-2014, 11:59 PM

more Hurricanes have hit Texas the last 20 years than Miami:lol

xmas1997
03-21-2014, 12:07 AM
MI21, I've taken the trouble of drafting the first day's itinerary during your stay in San Antonio:

Noon - eat

:lmao

Inaccurate, but funny nonetheless.
San Antonio shits all over Houston and Dallas too.

Blake
03-21-2014, 12:07 AM
I would recommend going to Disneyland while in California.

If you're going to Orlando then avoid Disneyland in Cali and Go to Disneyworld instead.

If I had to pick five must see cities plus San Antonio, I'd go San Fran, Las Vegas, Orlando, Washington DC, New York.

Disneyworld during Christmas season is tremendous, imo.

and there's no way around it, you're going to need to fly to do a coast to coast in 42 days.

DD
03-21-2014, 12:10 AM
One last parting shot, people tend to have this viewpoint of Miamians having a superficial attitude and that's actually quite correct. We don't take kindly to ugly or fat people down here and only tolerate them if they're rich. That rubs ugly and fat people the wrong way, but what can i say...stop being fat and ugly.

xmas1997
03-21-2014, 12:12 AM
If you're going to Orlando then avoid Disneyland in Cali and Go to Disneyworld instead.

If I had to pick five must see cities plus San Antonio, I'd go San Fran, Las Vegas, Orlando, Washington DC, New York.

Disneyworld during Christmas season is tremendous, imo.

and there's no way around it, you're going to need to fly to do a coast to coast in 42 days.

Unfucking believeable, I actually agree with you except on Vegas, unless you are talking about the shows.

Blake
03-21-2014, 12:16 AM
Damn I forgot New Orleans.

I suggest skipping SA and seeing the Spurs play in another city like NOLA, imo.

It completely sucks that they no longer play downtown by the riverwalk.

leemajors
03-21-2014, 06:26 AM
New Orleans is the shit. I need to go again, had a great time for 3-4 days and avoided Bourbon St evenings/nights. Being able to walk around w/a drink on the street in the afternoon :tu

blkroadrunners
03-21-2014, 10:09 AM

I assume the museum you're referring to is the one in Balboa Park, right? I'm going to SD in the next couple months for the 1st time so I'm definitely going to check that out.

I was reading some reviews about the zoo, and a lot of ppl picked the Safari Park over the zoo easily.

leemajors
03-21-2014, 10:19 AM
San Diego, Pizza Port... :smokin

baseline bum
03-21-2014, 10:22 AM
I assume the museum you're referring to is the one in Balboa Park, right? I'm going to SD in the next couple months for the 1st time so I'm definitely going to check that out.

I was reading some reviews about the zoo, and a lot of ppl picked the Safari Park over the zoo easily.

Yeah, that's it. It's a pretty awesome place.

baseline bum
03-21-2014, 10:24 AM
It would probably be cool to check the Stone Brewery when in San Diego too. By far my favorite brewery in the world.

leemajors
03-21-2014, 10:35 AM
It would probably be cool to check the Stone Brewery when in San Diego too. By far my favorite brewery in the world.

Ballast Point, Alesmith, Alpine, Hess, so many there

silverblk mystix
03-21-2014, 12:01 PM
So in late November, December and early January I will be visiting the states for the first time and will be towing my wife along with me for 42 days. I'm not old at 28, so I'm looking for a pretty active experience while I'm there, I don't want to hike for a week or anything, but I don't want to spend my entire time shopping and eating.

I'm starting in Cali and need some advice and what might be good things to do or good destinations or places to visit. I know all the usuals like Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Fran, LA etc.. but are places like Santa Barbara, San Diego etc worth a visit? What is Yosemite like at that time of year? Lake Tahoe? What are the best things to do in LA? How long is to long in Vegas? My wife has been to LA before and didn't particularly like it but I know there must be shitloads to do... baseline bum (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=131) I have seen you talk about California before and you seem to be a fucking encyclopaedia. Any tips mate?

I want to make the pilgrimage to SA just for 1 or 2 nights to catch a Spurs game at home.. what else is there to do in or around SA? Is it best to fly there from Cali? We then want to go to New Orleans, Miami then Orlando etc and snake our way up the coast to New York for 10-12 days etc..

Basically, I guess I'm just asking how many nights I may need in various cities to get the most out of it, is there any places that I should definitely avoid, is there any hidden gems that I should definitely get to, what places you just maybe need a day in, what is it like driving through states etc or is it best to bus/train/fly (prefer not to fly everywhere)?

I want to catch NBA games as well along the way, obviously there is no schedule yet but the best place to get tickets at short notice would be where? I will book some, but I hope to buy some late in the piece so I can get some good prices :)

I know there are a lot of Spurs fans who have done the voyage many times RuffnReadyOzStyle (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1053) alamo50 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=160) I would be interested in hearing your thoughts too along with everyone else.. I'm asking everyone I know because I'm not going to be able to get back to the USA for at least 4-5 years after this, so I wanna do it right..and I'm sure there is lots of knowledge here that can be shared.

*** Yosemite roads will be closed - and/or treacherous at best in the dead of winter ***

1) S.Francisco - a few days and do the touristy things to make the wife happy....cable cars, shopping, fisherman's wharf,alcatrazz,etc...

2) Drive up north to the Avenue of the Giants...commune with nature...hike, picnic, ride bikes, become familiar with the deep forest....eat gourmet organic food...

3) A couple more days in frisco - check in to the Fairmont hotel and then the Mandarin Oriental and let the wife have a few spa days and keep her in tune. Shopping in Union Square and maybe the Musuem would be appropriate.

4) Drive south through Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel...and find lodging in Big Sur - a place that has to be experienced at a slow pace.
If you have the balls - stay with the monks in a monastery - (New Camaldoli Hermitage) - where the only requirement is ---

SILENCE

If you want to experience something unique - stay there and STFU - and have the wife STFU - the rooms are cheap and must be reserved months in advance - they are sparse and rustic - and musical instruments, electronic devices, talking, singing, chanting (except with the monks in the chapel during a service) are strictly prohibited.
You and your wife will discover a lot about yourselves and your marriage if you have the balls to do it.
Best experience in your life - and best thing for a marriage - even a great marriage IMO.

You will never be the same.

Then - do the same as in the redwoods - hike, picnic, contemplate, commune with nature, etc....

Then go to Carmel and stroll through dark lamp lit streets after having a gourmet meal in a world class restaurant, watch the sunset from the beach where the whole town gathers and is silent as the sun disappears into the pacific ocean,
Go to Monterey and eat great seafood and drive through 17 mile drive and see the victorian homes on the coast line.....golf in world famous Pebble Beach golf course and eat great food there too...
Back to Big Sur and eat at Nepenthe Restaurant and then check in to the Post Ranch Inn - when you wake up - the pacific ocean is all you will see for miles and miles - from your bed.

#3) Drive south on the PCH - check out the Hearst Castle and/or take the tour if you are so inclined....

#4) Stay in Santa Barbara and party on State street just because...

#5) L.A. - would require another novel to give you a good itinerary...

lefty
03-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Another tip : be white

boutons_deux
03-21-2014, 12:46 PM
At Santa Cruz, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium, then drive the 17-mile drive, esp late afternoon early evening.

baseline bum
03-21-2014, 01:02 PM
*** Yosemite roads will be closed - and/or treacherous at best in the dead of winter ***

You're wrong. Tioga Pass Road and Glacier Point Road will likely be closed, and the short road to Mariposa Grove might be. The rest will be open. 120 all the way to Crane Flat will be open, and then it can be taken to the valley. 49 from the south end of the park to 120 will be open, and 140 from the west will be open. 49 is the most likely to require chains as it gets up to about 6000 feet in parts near the turnoff to Glacier Point Road. If you take the 140 even if the park is in a snowstorm, the worst case scenario is you park in El Portal and take the YARTS bus into the park. The 140 never gets higher than about 1900 feet in elevation until after El Portal and thus only closes if there is a rockslide.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El+Portal,+CA+95318/@37.6746509,-119.7840609,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8096c10dead21a71:0x6651845a886b1 7e4

120 is the most scenic road to take into the park from the West, so if it isn't snowing, that's the one I'd take. If it is snowing, take the 140. It probably won't be snowing in the valley though (it's at 4000 feet).

baseline bum
03-21-2014, 01:12 PM
The museum of science in Golden Gate Park in SF is fucking gay. The only physics demonstration they have is a big Foucault pendulum. What a waste of a morning that place was.

silverblk mystix
03-21-2014, 01:22 PM
You're wrong. Tioga Pass Road and Glacier Point Road will likely be closed, and the short road to Mariposa Grove might be. The rest will be open. 120 all the way to Crane Flat will be open, and then it can be taken to the valley. 49 from the south end of the park to 120 will be open, and 140 from the west will be open. 49 is the most likely to require chains as it gets up to about 6000 feet in parts near the turnoff to Glacier Point Road. If you take the 140 even if the park is in a snowstorm, the worst case scenario is you park in El Portal and take the YARTS bus into the park. The 140 never gets higher than about 1900 feet in elevation until after El Portal and thus only closes if there is a rockslide.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El+Portal,+CA+95318/@37.6746509,-119.7840609,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8096c10dead21a71:0x6651845a886b1 7e4

120 is the most scenic road to take into the park from the West, so if it isn't snowing, that's the one I'd take. If it is snowing, take the 140. It probably won't be snowing in the valley though (it's at 4000 feet).

Good to know -

as for myself - if I have to jump through ^^^ all those hoops -

I would just go elsewhere and be safer.

ymmv

DJR210
03-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Damn I forgot New Orleans.

I suggest skipping SA and seeing the Spurs play in another city like NOLA, imo.

It completely sucks that they no longer play downtown by the riverwalk.

Lol, the At&t center is in such a shit hole part of town. Took my kid to wrestling the other night and was reminded of how bad it is.

Joseph Kony
03-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Unless you have kids, don't go to Disneyland. Waste of money for a 28 year old couple. Go to Universal Studios instead imo

Joseph Kony
03-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Lol, the At&t center is in such a shit hole part of town. Took my kid to wrestling the other night and was reminded of how bad it is.

I have a friend who lives right by St. Phillips over there and he tells me that he can literally walk to any street in his vicinity and find someone selling crack on it :lol

DJR210
03-21-2014, 06:05 PM
I have a friend who lives right by St. Phillips over there and he tells me that he can literally walk to any street in his vicinity and find someone selling crack on it :lol

Shit, I'm sure the parking attendants at the private lots across the street sell crack too tbh.

baseline bum
03-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Unless you have kids, don't go to Disneyland. Waste of money for a 28 year old couple. Go to Universal Studios instead imo

I personally like Magic Mountain for LA area theme parks. The only better park I have found for good roller coasters is Cedar Point up in Sandusky, Ohio.

MI21
03-24-2014, 08:31 PM
You and your wife are going to get fat(ter?) tbh.

Oh we are expecting that. My wife is only 110lbs (dat ass tho) and we watch what we eat quite closely, but this holiday is going to have a big emphasis on eating like fatties :lol

Noon - eat

:lol Seems like the common train of thought in regards to SA, there really is nothing to do except the Spurs and the Alamo huh?

MI21
03-24-2014, 08:31 PM
baseline bum thank you for all the info, will definitely be taking all that into account when we finalise our Cali plans.

MI21
03-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Not planning a lot of shopping, but best places for shopping in the states?

Obviously there is the high-end parts in LA and NYC, but where else? Vegas outlets I've heard good things about..

What do people think of Tijuana? Worth a day?

Mugen
03-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Don't leave Cali without trying In-N-Out. San Diego is a pretty great couples city and nearby Temecula has some good wineries if you and the wife are into that. Pretty much whatever you guys are into, Southern California can accommodate.

Have fun brah tbh.

Mugen
03-24-2014, 08:40 PM

Obviously there is the high-end parts in LA and NYC, but where else? Vegas outlets I've heard good things about..

No.

xmas1997
03-24-2014, 09:08 PM

Hell no, in fact stay clear of all the border towns no matter which US state you are in.

baseline bum
03-24-2014, 09:29 PM

I had two cops arrest me for walking down the street, plant drugs on me, demand a $150 bribe, and then drive me around the city for an hour handcuffed to some gangbanger to scare me when I wouldn't pay it. Fuck that place.

xmas1997
03-24-2014, 09:42 PM
I had two cops arrest me for walking down the street, plant drugs on me, demand a $150 bribe, and then drive me around the city for an hour handcuffed to some gangbanger to scare me when I wouldn't pay it. Fuck that place.

Not surprised.
Most are on the take from the drug cartels IMHO, and it's the tourist who gets caught in the crossfires these days, not even Progresso is safe anymore.

baseline bum
03-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Not surprised.
Most are on the take from the drug cartels IMHO, and it's the tourist who gets caught in the crossfires these days, not even Progresso is safe anymore.

I still remember the stupid shit the gangbanger I was handcuffed to said (in perfect English lol): ju dont get no phone call ere, ju jus get a kick in the culo

MI21
03-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Don't leave Cali without trying In-N-Out. San Diego is a pretty great couples city and nearby Temecula has some good wineries if you and the wife are into that. Pretty much whatever you guys are into, Southern California can accommodate.

Have fun brah tbh.

Good to know. I can't wait to try all the filthy looking fast food that I see advertised during and between NBA games. San Diego is definitely moving up the list from what people are saying as well. I've heard California is like a country in it's own right, so we want to make sure we take it all in.

No.

Hell no, in fact stay clear of all the border towns no matter which US state you are in.

:lol Sounds fun. Most people I've spoken to have a similar viewpoint, drink some tequila, take a photo with a donkey painted like a zebra and that's about it? Tijuana is definitely sliding down my list of places to go, tbh.

baseline bum
03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
:lol Sounds fun. Most people I've spoken to have a similar viewpoint, drink some tequila, take a photo with a donkey painted like a zebra and that's about it? Tijuana is definitely sliding down my list of places to go, tbh.

Good strip clubs though. An hour before that arrest I was at this strip club watching the lesbian show and they pulled some goofy 40 year old high school teacher looking motherfucker on stage and he was excited like he was gonna get this great lapdance, but instead the whores kept trying to stick a beer bottle up his ass. :lol

MI21
08-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Bump.

This shit is getting closer. Going to be in San Antonio to watch Spurs vs :lolakers and Spurs vs Knicks...

Need a decent spot to stay in SA for 2 night as I'm getting out of town after the Lakers game.. Barely gonna be in our hotel so want something pretty cheap but in a safe/central location I guess.

Any recommendations?

TDMVPDPOY
08-19-2014, 04:50 AM
u going to go nuts at teh spurs shop for merchandise?

benefactor
08-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Bump.

This shit is getting closer. Going to be in San Antonio to watch Spurs vs :lolakers and Spurs vs Knicks...

Need a decent spot to stay in SA for 2 night as I'm getting out of town after the Lakers game.. Barely gonna be in our hotel so want something pretty cheap but in a safe/central location I guess.

Any recommendations?
If you want to stay close to the Riverwalk, Red Roof Inn is not a bad option if you are just looking for somewhere to lay your head down. Stayed there a couple of times. Walking distance from the river and 70ish bucks a night.

https://www.redroof.com/property/San-Antonio/TX/78205/Hotels-close-to-The-Alamo-Riverwalk-Alamodome/RRI248/

The Reckoning
08-19-2014, 12:42 PM
New Orleans, NYC, mexican food and spurs in SA, colorado, the florida keys, and Tahoe any time of the year.

MI21
08-19-2014, 11:21 PM
If you want to stay close to the Riverwalk, Red Roof Inn is not a bad option if you are just looking for somewhere to lay your head down. Stayed there a couple of times. Walking distance from the river and 70ish bucks a night.

https://www.redroof.com/property/San-Antonio/TX/78205/Hotels-close-to-The-Alamo-Riverwalk-Alamodome/RRI248/

Cheers mate, seems the sort of low rent sort of joint that I would like - just after something clean really.

MI21
08-19-2014, 11:23 PM
New Orleans, NYC, mexican food and spurs in SA, colorado, the florida keys, and Tahoe any time of the year.

New Orleans - Going
NYC - Going
Mexican food - of course
Spurs in SA - Going
Florida Keys - Going
Colorado - unfortunately not
Tahoe - Nope, but doing Yosemite

The Reckoning
08-19-2014, 11:29 PM
New Orleans - Going
NYC - Going
Mexican food - of course
Spurs in SA - Going
Florida Keys - Going

sounds like you've got all your bases covered :tu. have a safe trip.

MI21
11-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Bump.

This shit is happening in like 4 days.

I'm not a fat person, but I'm going to behave like one on this trip tbh.. so I am taking recommendations for disgusting, amazing, different and diverse food spots throughout the country. Fast food, fancy food, don't give a shit either way.

Aztecfan03
11-24-2014, 01:13 AM
Bump.

I'm not a fat person, but I'm going to behave like one on this trip tbh.. so I am taking recommendations for disgusting, amazing, different and diverse food spots throughout the country. Fast food, fancy food, don't give a shit either way.

try a california burrito(like a carne asada burrito with fries inside it) in so cal. If you go to In-N-Out, you may want to order some of the stuff 'animal style' and I like their shakes.

baseline bum
11-24-2014, 01:19 AM
Bump.

If you get to LA, hit El Tepeyac Cafe in East LA and order a Manuel's Special. King Taco is awesome too; great red salsa and their carnitas are excellent fat beaner food.

On one of your San Antonio days take your rental car 60 miles east to Luling to go to City Market and get as much sausage as you can carry. Really good brisket and ribs too, but the sausage is what really steals the show. Don't worry, you won't miss anything by not seeing the sights in SA tbh (I mean how many fat Mexicans with Virgin Mary tattoos can you see?). Shit's closed Sundays and they'll probably be out of meat if you try to show up at 5PM or later.

SnakeBoy
11-24-2014, 01:30 AM
New Orleans - Going
NYC - Going
Mexican food - of course
Spurs in SA - Going
Florida Keys - Going

Looks like a great trip.

The only shithole on your list is NO, but it's a fun shithole. Just remember when you're walking around NO that every black person that speaks to you, no matter what they are saying, is just trying to get you to give them money.

baseline bum
11-24-2014, 01:33 AM

I like newegg.com tbh

baseline bum
11-24-2014, 01:37 AM
Just remember when you're walking around NO that every black person that speaks to you, no matter what they are saying, is just trying to get you to give them money.

LA too

baseline bum
11-24-2014, 01:47 AM
One other tip for SA. If you see a Mexican with a Spurs tat, especially on the neck, he's likely a member of the gang Tango Orejon. :lol

Here's one:

http://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/10/sastattoohead-359x356.jpg

AussieFanKurt
11-24-2014, 02:48 AM
lucky karnt

Robz4000
11-24-2014, 05:03 AM

Have fun brah tbh.

100% agree with my nig Mugen. If you're in SoCal hit up San Diego and Temecula.

MI21
11-24-2014, 05:04 AM
try a california burrito(like a carne asada burrito with fries inside it) in so cal. If you go to In-N-Out, you may want to order some of the stuff 'animal style' and I like their shakes.

I'll be spending some time all over California. I've seen people post about In-N-Out before, horrible sounding name for food tbh, but I'll definitely be trying it. Cheers.

If you get to LA, hit El Tepeyac Cafe in East LA and order a Manuel's Special. King Taco is awesome too; great red salsa and their carnitas are excellent fat beaner food.

On one of your San Antonio days take your rental car 60 miles east to Luling to go to City Market and get as much sausage as you can carry. Really good brisket and ribs too, but the sausage is what really steals the show. Don't worry, you won't miss anything by not seeing the sights in SA tbh (I mean how many fat Mexicans with Virgin Mary tattoos can you see?). Shit's closed Sundays and they'll probably be out of meat if you try to show up at 5PM or later.

Noted, thanks broseph

Looks like a great trip.

The only shithole on your list is NO, but it's a fun shithole. Just remember when you're walking around NO that every black person that speaks to you, no matter what they are saying, is just trying to get you to give them money.

:lol that's like a lot of the black people here in Australia, tbh. I'm actually looking forward to NO a lot.

One other tip for SA. If you see a Mexican with a Spurs tat, especially on the neck, he's likely a member of the gang Tango Orejon. :lol

Here's one:

http://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2014/10/sastattoohead-359x356.jpg

Might get one tbh...

lucky karnt

Yeah man, it ain't that hard to do man, can really do it on a budget if you try... which I haven't really :lol

AussieFanKurt
11-24-2014, 05:42 AM
Yeah man, it ain't that hard to do man, can really do it on a budget if you try... which I haven't really :lol

I think I'll head there next year

baseline bum
11-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Food and gas is so cheap here relative to your neck of the woods. That's why Americans are fat fucks who can't walk more than 10 feet tbh.

AussieFanKurt
11-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Food and gas is so cheap here relative to your neck of the woods. That's why Americans are fat fucks who can't walk more than 10 feet tbh.

How does the price of accommodation fare? I basically want to spend all my money on sport tickets and minimum on accom. Could I get away with not booking any and just winging it? Maybe meet someone who has a spare couch or cheap hostel?

baseline bum
11-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Never used hostels in the US, so no clue.

SnakeBoy
11-24-2014, 04:17 PM
:lol that's like a lot of the black people here in Australia, tbh. I'm actually looking forward to NO a lot.

As long as you don't get drunk and decide to go see the "real" New Orleans at 2 in the morning, you should have a great time there.

Same is true for parts of SA. The difference is in NO you might have to fight off a kangaroo, in SA it'll be a pack of pot bellied wallabies.

baseline bum
11-26-2014, 03:33 PM
I'll be spending some time all over California. I've seen people post about In-N-Out before, horrible sounding name for food tbh, but I'll definitely be trying it. Cheers.

Noted, thanks broseph

Might get one tbh...

Here's the burrito I was talking about (Manuel Special)

http://www.tapir.caltech.edu/~sklee/images/about/tepeyac.jpg

You can get one that's only huge though (as opposed to that gigantic motherfucker), and it's called a Hollebeck burrito. Highly recommended, especially if you like pork, though my favorite one is the machaca version (egg + shredded beef jerky).

The Reckoning
11-26-2014, 05:44 PM
I think I'll head there next year

y'all get five weeks paid vacay on average. shouldn't be hard.

you don't see any americans because we only get two if we're lucky :lol

AussieFanKurt
11-26-2014, 05:49 PM
y'all get five weeks paid vacay on average. shouldn't be hard.

you don't see any americans because we only get two if we're lucky :lol

:lol yeah won't be tough.

why do you guys get shit annual leave

The Reckoning
11-26-2014, 06:23 PM
:lol yeah won't be tough.

why do you guys get shit annual leave

americans know nothing but work tbh. it's what we're programmed for.

baseline bum
01-22-2015, 06:17 PM

I'm starting in Cali and need some advice and what might be good things to do or good destinations or places to visit. I know all the usuals like Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Fran, LA etc.. but are places like Santa Barbara, San Diego etc worth a visit? What is Yosemite like at that time of year? Lake Tahoe? What are the best things to do in LA? How long is to long in Vegas? My wife has been to LA before and didn't particularly like it but I know there must be shitloads to do... baseline bum I have seen you talk about California before and you seem to be a fucking encyclopaedia. Any tips mate?

I know there are a lot of Spurs fans who have done the voyage many times RuffnReadyOzStyle alamo50 I would be interested in hearing your thoughts too along with everyone else.. I'm asking everyone I know because I'm not going to be able to get back to the USA for at least 4-5 years after this, so I wanna do it right..and I'm sure there is lots of knowledge here that can be shared.

So how much weight you gain here?

MI21
01-22-2015, 08:20 PM
So how much weight you gain here?

I gained 2.5kg, so about 5.5lbs... was pleased with that. I'm thinking a lot of that came at the end of the trip where I was far less active than the first 4 weeks. To many burgers, to many fries, to much Mexican, to much everything tbh :lol

Absolutely loved your country. California was a real highlight, that drive from San Fran to LA is amazing. Yosemite was great, we had really good weather. Spent nights in a lot of the smaller cities in Cali and loved it to, Monterey/San Luis Ibispo/Santa Barabara etc.

San Antonio was as described, why the fuck is AT&T Center in a location that had me stressed I wasn't carrying a gun? Met a lot of Spurs players (Manu, Boris, Patty, Baynes, Tiago, Marco, Elliott, Danny) and had a really long chat with Chip Engelland, friendly bloke. Boris was probably the coolest of the lot. Disneyworld was ok, the wife loves that shit. New York was cool, but I do get a little sick of the city after 11 days and the sheer hustle and bustle. Loved Vegas, New Orleans and Miami a lot, would easily go back.

I bumped (literally) into Nicole Sherzinger in NYC, bitch wasn't as hot as I thought she would be. Walked past Solange Knowles in the french quarter, she was extremely hot. Walked past that dickhead Will I Am in Vegas, he was a dickhead as expected. Was beating down on some homie on Venice Beach basketball courts, 5-0, then he quit on me and said he was hurt :cry

Only been back 10 days and am still scheming to get back there, if the Spurs make the finals, I think I'm there :tu

baseline bum
01-22-2015, 09:11 PM
I gained 2.5kg, so about 5.5lbs... was pleased with that. I'm thinking a lot of that came at the end of the trip where I was far less active than the first 4 weeks. To many burgers, to many fries, to much Mexican, to much everything tbh :lol

Absolutely loved your country. California was a real highlight, that drive from San Fran to LA is amazing. Yosemite was great, we had really good weather. Spent nights in a lot of the smaller cities in Cali and loved it to, Monterey/San Luis Ibispo/Santa Barabara etc.

San Antonio was as described, why the fuck is AT&T Center in a location that had me stressed I wasn't carrying a gun? Met a lot of Spurs players (Manu, Boris, Patty, Baynes, Tiago, Marco, Elliott, Danny) and had a really long chat with Chip Engelland, friendly bloke. Boris was probably the coolest of the lot. Disneyworld was ok, the wife loves that shit. New York was cool, but I do get a little sick of the city after 11 days and the sheer hustle and bustle. Loved Vegas, New Orleans and Miami a lot, would easily go back.

I bumped (literally) into Nicole Sherzinger in NYC, bitch wasn't as hot as I thought she would be. Walked past Solange Knowles in the french quarter, she was extremely hot. Walked past that dickhead Will I Am in Vegas, he was a dickhead as expected. Was beating down on some homie on Venice Beach basketball courts, 5-0, then he quit on me and said he was hurt :cry

Only been back 10 days and am still scheming to get back there, if the Spurs make the finals, I think I'm there :tu

So what did your ass do in Yosemite man? The whole state of California is amazing (well, except the Central Valley :lol).

So when you say San Antonio was as described, you mean there wasn't shit to do but eat? :lol

As for the AT&T Center, it's in the ghetto because the city of San Antonio kept trying to tie a very expensive renovation of the Convention Center into the arena vote, and the Spurs refused to agree to that plan. Even though they had just won their first title, the arena vote the year before in 98 failed horribly and they were on the verge of packing up and moving to New Orleans or Anaheim. So naturally the Spurs went with a plan that allowed a straight up or down vote on the arena and nothing else. The only way they could do that was going with the county's plan to use their land at the Freeman Coliseum. So the retarded city of San Antonio fucked themselves out of a downtown arena that would have brought them a lot of money with all the restaurants and bars around. So instead the only postgame recreation near the AT&T Center are all the fat hookers on New Bruanfels Avenue.

DJR210
01-22-2015, 09:29 PM

:lmao we told you to take a gun bro

AussieFanKurt
01-23-2015, 01:33 AM

reckon I can get away with booking very little accom and just winging it?