PDA

View Full Version : NBA: It's Simple...Top 5 players of All Time are the best ever at their position,,,,

HemisfairArena
03-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Just want to make it clear for all the posters that debate All Time greats...when you are the best ever at your position you are a top 5 All Time Great.

PG: Magic
SG: MJ
SF: Bird
PF: Duncan
C: Kareem

You cant debate that top 5. And 6-10 would be their back ups.

PG: Oscar
SG: Kobe
SF: LeBron
PF: Malone
C: Russell

Michael Jordan.
03-21-2014, 10:00 PM
:lmao no

Kool Bob Love
03-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Kobe kills team chemistry. Would snitch on MJ to get the starting spot.

HemisfairArena
03-21-2014, 10:11 PM
:lmao no

Lets see a lineup that could beat Magic/MJ/Bird/Duncan/Kareem....out of all the other players. They would win 4 out of 5 time and time again against any line of position players after them.

Michael Jordan.
03-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Lets see a lineup that could beat Magic/MJ/Bird/Duncan/Kareem....out of all the other players. They would win 4 out of 5 time and time again against any line of position players after them.
You have Malone and Kobe in your top 10. No credibility. Duncan is top 10, not top 5.

Clipper Nation
03-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Take Kirby and Karl "The Choker" Malone out of the top 10 and it's a decent list, tbh....

King Emmanuel
03-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Man you should stop posting seriously

MeloHype
03-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Kobe, Malone, and Robertson aren't top 10

Arcadian
03-21-2014, 10:37 PM
At this point, I'd have to give Lebron the SF spot over Bird. I mean, can you imagine Bird trying to guard Lebron? :lol

Pelicans78
03-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Duncan isn't top 5 and isn't a PF if we're really being honest.

He would have been a center if he was drafted anywhere else.

lefty
03-21-2014, 10:57 PM
At this point, I'd have to give Lebron the SF spot over Bird. I mean, can you imagine Bird trying to guard Lebron? :lol

Bird couldn't guard Wilkins.

Does that mean Wilkins was a better player than Bird?

spurraider21
03-21-2014, 11:11 PM

But he wasn't. And he played PF throughout his prime

spurraider21
03-21-2014, 11:11 PM
:lol more 20 year old Oscar Robertson experts

King Emmanuel
03-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Kobe is top 5. he has more rings than lebron and bird

baseline bum
03-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Just want to make it clear for all the posters that debate All Time greats...when you are the best ever at your position you are a top 5 All Time Great.

I don't know man. I think Deuce Bigalow convinced me that Jerry West should get that backup SG spot tbh

spurraider21
03-21-2014, 11:56 PM
^:rollin

Deuce Bigalow
03-22-2014, 12:12 AM
Can you imagine Boris Diaw trying to guard Lebron? I mean can you even imagine?

Arcadian
03-22-2014, 12:13 AM

Of course not, that's just one factor. But Lebron is much better than Wilkins in other areas, and I think overall he's a better player than Bird. It is close, but basketball is a gane for huge superathletic men, and Lebron has that physical advantage over Bird and pretty much everyone else.

Arcadian
03-22-2014, 12:13 AM

Of course not, that's just one factor. But Lebron is much better than Wilkins in other areas, and I think overall he's a better player than Bird. It is close, but basketball is a gane for huge superathletic men, and Lebron has that physical advantage over Bird and pretty much everyone else.

Arcadian
03-22-2014, 12:18 AM

Well no, that's slightly misleading. Duncan was more of a PF in his younger days. He was quick and played a lo from the high post and midrange. His versatility allowed him to slide to the 4, so give him credit for that. But I won't deny that post-2007, he is definitely a center.

Arcadian
03-22-2014, 12:19 AM

Well no, that's slightly misleading. Duncan was more of a PF in his younger days. He was quick and played a lo from the high post and midrange. His versatility allowed him to slide to the 4, so give him credit for that. But I won't deny that post-2007, he is definitely a center.

Sybok
03-22-2014, 12:20 AM
What we need is about 20 more "all time list" threads.

Deuce Bigalow
03-22-2014, 12:21 AM
Keep calling Duncan a "PF", because if you called him a center which he actually plays btw, he would not be top 3 at the center position.

Cry Havoc
03-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Hakeem would absolutely humiliate Malone. He was versatile enough to play the 4 on another team.

Clipper Nation
03-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Keep calling Duncan a "PF", because if you called him a center which he actually plays btw, he would not be top 3 at the center position.
Statfag fails again, Duncan didn't switch to center full-time until the 2006-07 season.... he won most of his rings at power forward, dumbass :lol

spurraider21
03-22-2014, 12:33 AM
Tell me more about how David Robinson, Nazr Mohammad, and Fab oberto were forwards

Brazil
03-22-2014, 05:43 AM
Tell me more about how David Robinson, Nazr Mohammad, and Fab oberto were forwards

Land splitter

spurraider21
03-22-2014, 05:44 AM
the main case was when Matt Bonner/DeJuan Blair were starting

03-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Tim Duncan only started playing C when we didn't have anyone else who would play center as we'll as him. Didn't he play PF in college too?

Sybok
03-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Where does Magic rank among centers? Didn't he play center once?

Killakobe81
03-22-2014, 01:18 PM

Switch Lebron with Bird cant really argue with ya ...

Killakobe81
03-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Tim Duncan only started playing C when we didn't have anyone else who would play center as we'll as him. Didn't he play PF in college too?

Nah he was a center ... they had another 7 footer (cant remember his name who was taller but super skinny)

Spurs da champs
03-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Land splitter

Splitter 99% of the time guards the other 4, Timmy is clearly the center with Tiago in the lineup.

lefty
03-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Where does Magic rank among centers? Didn't he play center once?
:lol

lefty
03-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Oh and :lol at the notion that Magic could play center

In that Philly game, he started at center but that was it.

He played PG, SG, SF, a little PF (mostly for a few quick hook shots), but there was no way he wwas going toe to toe full time with Philly's centers

Sybok
03-22-2014, 01:51 PM
No no, he started at Center therefore Magic is a center. He's not even in the top 10 then.

Sybok
03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Splitter is the center when he's on the floor. Tim scores from the top of the circle, that's not a center position. Tiago scores almost exclusively in the low post or pivot position. That's the center position. Just because Tim guards the opposing 5 doesn't mean Tim is a center, it means Tim is a better defender.

spurraider21
03-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Didn't magic average like 40 ppg as a center?

DAF86
03-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Can somebody please explain me the difference between center and power forward? And while you're at it explain me the difference between shooting guard and small forward too, thanks.

03-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Can somebody please explain me the difference between center and power forward? And while you're at it explain me the difference between shooting guard and small forward too, thanks.

Not sure if a srs question, but...

All 4 positions can be played differently. Ideally, I guess it would go like this

shooting guard = spot up shooter, some slashing ability
Small Forward = Slasher, some shooting ability, some post scoring
Power forward = can score outside of the paint, but can also score inside, (high post and low post, spot up from 18 ft, etc)
Center = primary low post scorer

Eh, kinda vague(I'm typing on my phone), but that's how I see it.

Killakobe81
03-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Not sure if a srs question, but...

All 4 positions can be played differently. Ideally, I guess it would go like this

Power forward = can score outside of the paint, but can also score inside, (high post and low post, spot up from 18 ft, etc)

Eh, kinda vague(I'm typing on my phone), but that's how I see it.

A pretty basic analysis, but not wrong necessarily.
By any measure duncan is great.
But some detractors or people attempting to "rate him" point out that by being a center who was versatile enough to play PF and having the luxury of playing with David ...Tim got to feast on PF's on the block that were much smaller than he was making it easier for him to score. Although it's not a argument completely devoid of merit, Tim also proved if you played a slower big on him he could take him out 15-18 feet and hit jumpers. Duncan is just a great all around big. funny thing to me some of his fundamentals look "ugly" some of his post moves are not textbook (watch the release on some of his counter moves) but his foot work is great and he is sooo effective. Also a great rim defender without their athleticism, size or length. Sure he was not as dominant (prime) as Shaq or Hakeem but cannot see the argument for either over Duncan as a "big". if duncan played center his whole career though I would not put him on the all time team over Kareem or Hakeem but Shaq it would be close. Duncan has proven to be the better rebounder and more reliable if less dominant scorer and a much better FT shooter. To me they are close, regardless of position. But Tim is more clutch, more versatile and is more effective than O'neal at the same age (Duncan's current one)

DAF86
03-22-2014, 03:48 PM

So Richard Jefferson on the Spurs played as a SG?

MJ and Kobe were/are SF?

Robinson, Hakeem, Sabonis, Divac all PFs.

Rodman, Blair and any bigmen that can't shoot outside 5 feet is a center then?

I'm not hating on your analysis which is actually what the people in general believe. I just want to remark how stupid the SG, SF, PF and C distinctions are. Positions in basketball should be point guard, wing and bigmen.

03-22-2014, 04:54 PM
So Richard Jefferson on the Spurs played as a SG?

MJ and Kobe were/are SF?

Robinson, Hakeem, Sabonis, Divac all PFs.

Rodman, Blair and any bigmen that can't shoot outside 5 feet is a center then? Which is why I said all positions can be played differently.

I'm not hating on your analysis which is actually what the people in general believe. I just want to remark how stupid the SG, SF, PF and C distinctions are. Positions in basketball should be point guard, wing and bigmen.
Agreed. With most point guards being scoring point guards now, you could probably just leave it at "guard" instead of "point guard"

poeticism707
03-22-2014, 08:42 PM
:lol more 20 year old Oscar Robertson experts

:rollin:rollin:rollin'

This.

Every ignorant "fan" find's every excuse not to put TD in the top 5: when his career was better than Bird's in 2007.

When his carreer and accomplishments are better than Magic's, some fat scrub in his only 11th year.

Nevermind what the announcers tell you, stop overrating these players just because they played decades ago.

poeticism707
03-23-2014, 09:03 AM

Poster of the month, repping per par.

Do work, son.

TD is easily Top 5.