PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Jason Kidd vs. John Stockton,,,,,who is higher on the All Time greats list?

HemisfairArena
03-22-2014, 06:46 PM
I was having this argument with a buddy of mine. He's under the impression JKidd would be ranked higher. Stockton has more points, assists, steals, higher% from the field and free throw line....really the only thing Kidd has that Stockton doesn't is a championship piggybacking on Dirk. If not for MJ....Stockton would have a couple himself. In fact...I would say Stockton is the 3rd best PG to ever play the position behind Magic and Oscar...and arguably tied with Isiah Thomas. Am I wrong? Just a different topic regarding All Time greats besides debating just the top 10.

spurraider21
03-22-2014, 07:05 PM
i'd say stockton. both were great defenders and creators, but it didnt take stock 13 years to learn to shoot a jumpshot tbh

irishock
03-22-2014, 07:07 PM
:lol thinking the choker can win a championship even with MJ out of the league..

lefty
03-22-2014, 07:10 PM
Stockton would have rang if Malone wasn't such a choker

Clipper Nation
03-22-2014, 07:14 PM
:lol thinking the choker can win a championship even with MJ out of the league..
Malone was the real choker, not Stockton :lol

irishock
03-22-2014, 07:14 PM
:lol Stockton was such a glorified stat padder... He would never have let Dirk take over in 2011 without a lot of PnRs that Miami would have clobbered... I'll take my chances with pass-first Kidd..

spurraider21
03-22-2014, 07:16 PM
so basically everybody that didn't win a finals mvp is a statpadder. that term is thrown around so goddam loosely on this forum

irishock
03-22-2014, 07:18 PM
:lol and it's funny how OP thinks somehow Isiah Thomas isn't better than 0-timer Stockton..

Clipper Nation
03-22-2014, 07:20 PM
:lol Stockton was such a glorified stat padder...
Stockton didn't have to pad stats, the Utah scorekeepers inflated them for him :lol

HemisfairArena
03-22-2014, 07:26 PM
:lol and it's funny how OP thinks somehow Isiah Thomas isn't better than 0-timer Stockton..

Some people's Paul McCartney are another man's John Lennon.

Fun fact: Tommorrow is JKidd's birthday and Stockton's is Wednesday....seems a fitting.

sook
03-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Stockton, also I'd put Nash above Kidd.

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2014, 08:41 PM
STOCKTON>kidd

kidd is nothing more then a walking triple double that equates to nothing besides filling up the stat sheet

i take nash over kidd also, reason being even without playing a lick of defense, his efficiency and accuracy shooting is so deadly that u cant afford to leave him open anywhere on the court,

only problem i have with nash offense is his a bit too passive and deffering to much for a guy who is very accurate shooter that he can shoot anywhere on the court, but he prefers to defer too much looking for assiste then actually taking over games...

theres quite alot very efficient/accurate sharp shooters in t he league who could do more scoring then playing the role they are force to play, maybe its the role thats made them that accurate, but they could be contributing more...

ps. another player who i thought could be great if he had a different approach to the game, is brent barry, this clown can shoot anywhere on the court and drive with an inside game, remember when guys would leave him open 1-2 metres but he wont shoot, too passive/hessitant on offense for a guy who is a sharp shooter...

Rogue
03-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Kidd carried a shitty team to the finals twice, and he was far more than a Gary Payton thing on the 11' Mavs. You may argue Stockton is better than Kidd career wise but I'd never put Nash above either guy just because he won two regular season MVPs, tbh.

sook
03-22-2014, 08:53 PM
The triple double is the most overrated stat in the game. Carries little significance but is aesthetic to the eyes

sook
03-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Kidd carried a shitty team to the finals twice, and he was far more than a Gary Payton thing on the 11' Mavs. You may argue Stockton is better than Kidd career wise but I'd never put Nash above either guy just because he won two regular season MVPs, tbh.

Nash was a monster in his prime. Kidd never had a reliable shot till he got to Dallas and was washed up by then.

spurraider21
03-22-2014, 08:56 PM
^same with double doubles. very arbitrary imo

TDMVPDPOY
03-22-2014, 08:57 PM

kidd played with shit against shit in the east, u know it...his 2 finals appearances b2b with the nets is nothing more than 1st round fodder in the wests

Gummi Clutch
03-22-2014, 09:17 PM
^same with double doubles. very arbitrary imo
Exactly.

Having "9" in every category is damn near impossible, but if someone did they wouldn't even be able to say "He had a double double!"

I agree, you can't use the tripple double crap to say Kidd is better than Stockton and maybe Nash I guess.

Rogue
03-23-2014, 12:46 AM
kidd played with shit against shit in the east, u know it...his 2 finals appearances b2b with the nets is nothing more than 1st round fodder in the westsagree, the East was weak as shit in the post Jordan era, just like today's East minus Miami Heat imho. However, if you claim Kidd's two finals appearances were overrated, I'd argue that Nash's double regular season MVPs were overrated too. The Suns were stacked as fuck back then (at least in the regular season they were) and it's fair to say Nash benefited from playing with so many talented players and playing for a coach who never gave a shit about defense. Meanwhile, the best big man Kidd had ever accompanied was Dirk, and that only happened when he was already pretty "washed-up" (as my nigga sook put it).

Jodelo
03-23-2014, 06:59 AM
I'll take Kidd.

Very good defender, carried a pretty weak team earlier and had no problem letting stepping back and let Dirk being the leader when it counted.

He knew/saw things on the court before they happened.

Kidd, Stockton, Nash.