PDA

View Full Version : Spurs "old dudes at YMC"A but Pop proud

Rummpd
03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Jackson (GS coach) saw the matchup against the Spurs as a "benchmark" for where his team stands. He joked before the game that the Spurs are like a bunch of "old dudes" at a recreational center whipping a group of high school All-Americans because of their smarts and savvy.
... I couldn't be more proud of them," Popovich said. "Their effort with three games in four nights, this late in the season, and the back-to-back tonight, to finish off the three in four was real special because everyone came off the bench and they gave the effort they needed to give and I'm just thrilled for them."
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489911

SupremeGuy
03-23-2014, 11:33 AM
:flag:

xmas1997
03-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Good for Pop.

boutons_deux
03-23-2014, 12:01 PM
"He joked before the game that the Spurs are like a bunch of "old dudes" at a recreational center whipping a group of high school All-Americans because of their smarts and savvy."

huge kernel of truth in his humor.

DocDoc
03-23-2014, 12:20 PM
When i first went to UT I got in a pickup game with some of my BB buddies who were really good against a group of old, overweight faculty members. It wasn't even close - they kicked our asses all over the gym. It was a useful lesson :).

Also learned that year that if any women wanted to play pickup with the guys, grab her for your team. Back then they were usually on the women's team and were really good players, just without the hops the guys have.

Good times - playing a couple hours a day almost every day of the week and got to take BB classes for credit :).

boutons_deux
03-23-2014, 02:11 PM

SanDiegoSpursFan
03-23-2014, 03:05 PM
I hate it when people say that, it makes it sound like every other team is more talented and should be able to beat the Spurs. Like, Harrison Barnes isn't shooting 39% because he isn't smart enough, and Timmy isn't still around just because he's smart, that would discredit his own hard work and talents.

The_Coyote
03-23-2014, 03:10 PM
It's amazing how no one knows how to a) set a pick and b) move without the ball in pickup games. But that's a pickup game. The fact that ~60% of professional basketball teams are not able to execute simple, yet essential plays on a consistent basis is downright sad.

ducks
03-23-2014, 06:25 PM
players do not know the fundamental of basketball because they want the money and go to the draft and lottery teams needs to play them instead of letting them play 2 years and then call them up

I am with Cuban forget the ncaa let them play in the dleague they ow
learn more about basketball any h

freetiago
03-23-2014, 06:39 PM
have you actually watched college basketball
it does nothing to teach you fundamentals

these guys have been playing for 10+ years and could have learned the fundamentals in middle/highschool also

they just over rely on athleticism since its easy to dominate unathletic white kids then when they play the Popovichs of the league who plan out ways to take that away they fail like Blake Griffin

saw that happen today to the most overrated prospect in a long time in Andrew "as much turnovers as points" Wiggins

heyheymymy
03-23-2014, 07:17 PM
not sure if a compliment or dag