PDA

View Full Version : How pissed do you think other teams are?

sexinthatsx
03-25-2014, 02:26 AM
How mad do you think teams who dealt players to the Spurs are? I mean, here we have Danny Green who was a fringe starter / bench role player for the Cavs and becoming a starter for the Spurs with vastly improved defense and deadly 3's. Then the Spurs did it again when they took Austin Daye, a player stuck at the end of the bench, to play 28 minutes out of nowhere and producing 22 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocks, and 2 steals with 0 turnovers. Masai Ujiri and Dwayne Casey must be kicking themselves right now and giving Nando De Colo the stink eye :rollin:rollin:rollin

RD2191
03-25-2014, 02:47 AM
Still need more time to evaluate Daye. He had a good game but I'm calling it a fluke until he proves he can do it again.

jkid12456
03-25-2014, 02:52 AM
Still need more time to evaluate Daye. He had a good game but I'm calling it a fluke until he proves he can do it again.

cmon MAN hes legitt nigguh

dg7md
03-25-2014, 02:55 AM
Daye is no all-star but I think he's a great fit into our system given Pop gives him time. He's shown signs of greatness on his other teams, so I think he could really add a lot to our bench rotation especially in the years to come. I won't call him a savior to our needs yet but he seems to be an ideal position player for us right now.

Kabals
03-25-2014, 03:01 AM
Seriously, it was against the sixers. He certainly have more potential than De Colo though.

It's not like they gave away a talented big man that could have really been useful and contribute right away.

G-Dawgg
03-25-2014, 03:58 AM
Daye is pretty good. In Popovich's own words after the game, he can shoot and knows how to play. He just needs time to get acclimated, play defense and maybe work on putting meat on his bones.

spurraider21
03-25-2014, 04:00 AM
Nando had his games where he looked legit too. I'd wait for sustained goods before anointing Daye as a trade steal... today's game was a heck of a start, but cmon it was a home game against the sixers

Russo21
03-25-2014, 04:29 AM
Pop won't play Daye again the rest of the season after this performance, just because.

ceperez
03-25-2014, 05:19 AM
How mad do you think teams who dealt players to the Spurs are? I mean, here we have Danny Green who was a fringe starter / bench role player for the Cavs and becoming a starter for the Spurs with vastly improved defense and deadly 3's. Then the Spurs did it again when they took Austin Daye, a player stuck at the end of the bench, to play 28 minutes out of nowhere and producing 22 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocks, and 2 steals with 0 turnovers. Masai Ujiri and Dwayne Casey must be kicking themselves right now and giving Nando De Colo the stink eye :rollin:rollin:rollin

Austin Daye likely would have never improved in the Raptor's system.

SupremeGuy
03-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Pop won't play Daye again the rest of the season after this performance, just because.lol probably true

cd98
03-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Daye had a great game against the worst team in the league and maybe league history. Don't get too excited.

exstatic
03-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Cleveland didn't trade Green to us, they fired Ferry, and then the new GM cut him. Then he signed with the Spurs, who cut him. A lot of people don't realize it, but this is his second stint here. He called Roy Williams, his UNC coach, and begged him to ask Pop for another chance for him in SA.

Spur|n|Austin
03-25-2014, 08:19 AM
I can't imagine Indiana loves Kawhi being a Spur over Hill.

Biggems
03-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Daye has something De Colo didn't...........length. As far as body type, Daye is in the mold of a Kevin Durant, a long skinny perimeter player.

I am very excited about his offensive potential. Yes, it was the Sixers, but he also came in ice cold at the end of another game and nothing but the bottom of the net on two 3s. The kid can shoot, plain and simple.

However, what excites me more is his feel for the game. He wasn't just chucking up shots. His shots came within the flow of the offense and more often than not, he was wide open. He also showed some nice passing skills, as well as, good reads on who to pass to. Then, with his length, he was able to do a nice job on the boards, in the passing lanes, and defending shots on the perimeter.

Yes, it was against the Sixers, but still. Though he may have been end of bench in Toronto, a crap team, it doesn't mean he is a waste of space. Just look at Gary Neal, the Bucks wasted a very good shooter and scorer by parking him for much of his stay on that garbage team. Now he moves on to Charlotte and he is playing and showing the Bucks the errors of their ways. The great thing about Daye, he doesn't have to force anything here. He can simply play basketball. He doesn't have to carry the weight of high draft pick status or the weight of the franchise's hopes on his shoulders. He is just a small pawn in Pop's game of chess.

So, if he continues to play hard on both ends of the court and keeps a positive attitude, I really feel as though he will get some situational playoff minutes, as well as be with us in future seasons.

Mel_13
03-25-2014, 08:56 AM
I was thinking about the subject of this thread on the way home from the game last night. You wonder if teams just don't want to deal with the Spurs for fear of getting clowned. Look at the last two NBA Executives of the Year, a title which RC Buford has somehow never won. Larry Bird traded the rights to Kawhi Leonard and Davis Bertans for George Hill (and then paid him 8M per season). Masai Ujiri traded Austin Daye (who played only 33 minutes for Toronto) for Nando de Colo (who has made exactly one basket since arriving in Toronto).

siraulo23
03-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Daye just made open 3s, no big deal

I didnt get to watch him a lot when he wasnt with the spurs but i remember him having decent ball handing, well he didnt showcase any against the sixers

SpursFan86
03-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Daye just made open 3s, no big deal

I didnt get to watch him a lot when he wasnt with the spurs but i remember him having decent ball handing, well he didnt showcase any against the sixers

While I agree that one great performance against the 76ers isn't some sign that he'll be a future all-star...he's showed more than just the ability to hit open shots since he's been here. He's played solid defense (certainly better than Bonner/Ayres), made nice passes, and most importantly, hasn't forced anything.

I wish we picked him up earlier on. I feel like it's a bit too late in the season for him to really crack the rotation. Maybe he wouldn't crack it even if he were here since the get-go, but who knows. All I know is that I've liked what I've seen in the 3-4 outings he's gotten so far...even against Golden State when he didn't fill up the box score.

gospursgojas
03-25-2014, 09:59 AM
I was thinking of this subject.

Granted it was the sixers but of all the "big" signings...Evan Turner, Big Baby, Caron Butler... have any put up the numbers for any one game that Daye has?

SpursFan86
03-25-2014, 10:13 AM
I was thinking of this subject.

Granted it was the sixers but of all the "big" signings...Evan Turner, Big Baby, Caron Butler... have any put up the numbers for any one game that Daye has?

Evan Turner has sucked in Indiana, but anyone who knows basketball could've seen that coming. I was glad we didn't get him; he's a well below average defender and an inefficient scorer who will occasionally catch fire and have a nice game.

Glen Davis has been pretty mediocre so far with the Clippers.

Granger has been solid...he's playing much better in LA. His PER has gone from 10.4 to 15.5, and he's shooting a respectable 38.7% from 3 with the Clippers. Not going to lie, I wish we could've convinced him to come to SA. It's only been 10 games, and the real issue with Granger is health. There's no telling whether he'll remain healthy and in good shape throughout the rest of the season and in the playoffs. As of now though, it's looking like a good move for LAC.

Caron Butler actually had a big game last night for OKC, putting up 23 points against Denver. Overall though, he's been pretty bad for them. He's also been a no-show the past few playoffs.

Prime Time
03-25-2014, 10:16 AM
If I was a GM, I wouldn't be pissed. Imagine if you had this shitty player named Kevin Rhodes, someone who couldn't do shit. You cut him for cap space, hear the Spurs picked him up, and now he's averaging 15 minutes a game on a team leading the Western conference. You wouldn't think "F you San Antonio" but more of "H.... How did they do that?"

With that said, some of these players (Most notably Green) don't get enough credit. Spurs didn't just 'teach' Danny to shut down superstars, that isn't something one could teach. They utilize him well, they found a diamond in the rough, sure. But remember.. Danny was cut from the Spurs before; it was his work ethic that convinced them to bring him back.

superjames1992
03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
PlayDaye.

cd98
03-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Spurs have a system in place that can take flawed players and plug them into limited roles, and make them work. In other words, the sum is greater than the parts. Most of the guys on the Spurs roster would not be very good if they went to another team playing a different system (see Nando, but he wasn't good here either). But in the Spurs system, they work (though not well enough to win a title as of yet, just being a contender so far). Teams are more and more trying to replicate the Spurs system, not necessarily trying to pick up players from the Spurs roster.

sexinthatsx
03-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Cleveland didn't trade Green to us, they fired Ferry, and then the new GM cut him. Then he signed with the Spurs, who cut him. A lot of people don't realize it, but this is his second stint here. He called Roy Williams, his UNC coach, and begged him to ask Pop for another chance for him in SA.

Yeah but even though Danny Green was cut, it was a player that nobody wanted that the Spurs picked up. So the question just doesn't go towards Danny Ferry and Usai Majiri, but to all the GMs in the NBA pretty much. Spurs have this weird ability to bring out the best in players, particularly when their backs are against the wall and about to be booted from the league. Can you imagine how great the Spurs FO would have fared if they were running a basketball program at a university?

Chinook
03-25-2014, 11:18 AM

Green was cut twice by the Spurs. Once during the season and once before the lockout.

It's amazing that if Green had played like he does now back then, the Spurs may never have made the Leonard trade.

Chinook
03-25-2014, 11:23 AM
1 Daye has had good games before. He was stuck on the bench (on teams with poor wing rotations no less) for a reason. Let's see what that is first.

2 It speaks more to coaching than GMing. The GMs clearly saw some talent in those players. The coaches need to do a better job using the talent they have.

Maddog
03-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Seriously, it was against the sixers. He certainly have more potential than De Colo though.

It's not like they gave away a talented big man that could have really been useful and contribute right away.

Daye was probably thinking- this is just like D- league!

I'm hoping this is just the right fit- however it is more likely a fluke. 3 other teams gave up on him- Memphis, Detroit and Toronto.

Horse
03-25-2014, 12:40 PM
The guy can shoot plain and simple. And unlike Bonner with his length he doesn't have to be wide, wide open. However he will be more open with the Spurs than any other team. If he can use that length to play some D that's just a bonus.

SpurPadre
03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Evan Turner has sucked in Indiana, but anyone who knows basketball could've seen that coming. I was glad we didn't get him; he's a well below average defender and an inefficient scorer who will occasionally catch fire and have a nice game.

Glen Davis has been pretty mediocre so far with the Clippers.

Granger has been solid...he's playing much better in LA. His PER has gone from 10.4 to 15.5, and he's shooting a respectable 38.7% from 3 with the Clippers. Not going to lie, I wish we could've convinced him to come to SA. It's only been 10 games, and the real issue with Granger is health. There's no telling whether he'll remain healthy and in good shape throughout the rest of the season and in the playoffs. As of now though, it's looking like a good move for LAC.

Caron Butler actually had a big game last night for OKC, putting up 23 points against Denver. Overall though, he's been pretty bad for them. He's also been a no-show the past few playoffs.

Granger and Butler might come to haunt us when all is said and done this season. I still think we can beat either team of course but those were steals for those teams. The Dubs also got a solid pickup in Steve Blake, whom the Lakers hand-gifted to them.

ceperez
03-25-2014, 01:18 PM
The guy can shoot plain and simple. And unlike Bonner with his length he doesn't have to be wide, wide open. However he will be more open with the Spurs than any other team. If he can use that length to play some D that's just a bonus.

Good and simple summary.

kjhip1
03-25-2014, 01:28 PM
I wonder with Daye length if the team uses him in practice as a KD to see what defense can be thrown at him. Btw That is not a comparison in any way but body type wise daye fits KD profile.

look_at_g_shred
03-25-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm more interested in the guys defense rather than his offense.