PDA

View Full Version : NBA wants Spurs-Heat rematch

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Finally for once I believe the country wants to watch the Spurs..obviously due to last years epic Finals. Most assume people want to see OKC-Heat but that's not the case..last years finals was the most entertaining in over a decade maybe more. They had a 20 tv rating on the east coast past midnight..

Spurs fans have complained the NBA had a issue with Spurs making it to finals and the officiating made a difference..but this year it won't be the case. If a rematch occurs this year finals would destroy last years ratings..

Every analyst on ESPN or other networks have said Spurs may not be the favorite to win the west but they'd have the best chance of beating the Heat..story line would be an easy sell and money will be made.

jARS mEsH sEt
03-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Nope. I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago with ratings for Heat/Spurs, Heat/OKC, and Heat/Knicks.

Heat/Spurs just barely beat out Heat/Knicks in terms of ratings, and Heat/OKC was far and away the highest rated on TNT.

Mel_13
03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
A Spurs-Heat rematch will do just fine, but the powers that be really want the Durant-LeBron rematch.

Dex
03-25-2014, 10:20 AM
A Spurs-Heat rematch will do just fine, but the powers that be really want the Durant-LeBron rematch.

Without Beardy, Miami wins in 5.

Bill_Brasky
03-25-2014, 10:26 AM

They have to know there's more games in the Spurs/Heat series, so therefore more money.

RD2191
03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
So in other wordd the NBA does not want a Spurs/Heat rerematch.:lol

MarCowMar
03-25-2014, 10:44 AM
The team that should be afraid is Indiana. Heat/Anything will get ratings. Spurs/Indiana? Ouch.

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 11:12 AM
ESPN is selling Heat-Spurs more then any match up..you can't compare regular season games to playoff games. Right now Thunder-Heat may be more appealing cause ESPN are selling the MVP race..

But like I said before. Every analyst views Spurs best match up...which wasn't the case last season going into playoffs. Last years finals..especially game 6 changed everything. ESPN would never sell the Spurs before but now things are different.

G-Dawgg
03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
The NBA or anybody cannot deny the juggernaught that are the Spurs. Who better to face the defending champs than the best team in the NBA? To me this is basic logic... again it'll be spun as the best team in the league vs the best player.

jARS mEsH sEt
03-25-2014, 11:41 AM
The NBA or anybody cannot deny the juggernaught that are the Spurs. Who better to face the defending champs than the best team in the NBA? To me this is basic logic... again it'll be spun as the best team in the league vs the best player.

The average sports fan isn't logical :lmao

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Which is why whatever ESPN sells..the country buys. Last years Finals was epic. OKC-Heat match up failed miserably.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-25-2014, 11:48 AM
That would be great. The last time we've seen an NBA Finals with the same teams facing each other was Chicago-Jazz in 97. And that series we pretty much knew who was the better team. With a Spurs-Heat rematch there seems to be some unsettled business and even some doubt on who should have won that series.

ThomasamohT
03-25-2014, 12:02 PM
I'll admit to being a spurs homer and thus my view may be a bit skewed but it seems to me that espn is pushing (praising) the spurs more than any other team. I even feel like the spurs are getting slightly more love than Durant. The only other team in the west getting as much attention is the clippers and I'm not sure the higher ups really want that to happen. Either way I think the higher ups wouldn't mind a spurs or thunder rematch with the heat.

Raven
03-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Spurs fans have complained the NBA had a issue with Spurs making it to finals and the officiating made a difference..but this year it won't be the case. If a rematch occurs this year finals would destroy last years ratings..

am, no.

D-rob fan
03-25-2014, 12:30 PM
That would be great. The last time we've seen an NBA Finals with the same teams facing each other was Chicago-Jazz in 97. And that series we pretty much knew who was the better team. With a Spurs-Heat rematch there seems to be some unsettled business and even some doubt on who should have won that series.

You're forgetting the Lakers/Celtics matchup for the 2008 and 2009 finals. Hopefully, the results are similar in which the losing team won the next year! And further to defend the next year as well allowing Tim and Manu to retire with a Championship and finally get their back to back!!!

SpurPadre
03-25-2014, 12:32 PM
I'll admit to being a spurs homer and thus my view may be a bit skewed but it seems to me that espn is pushing (praising) the spurs more than any other team. I even feel like the spurs are getting slightly more love than Durant. The only other team in the west getting as much attention is the clippers and I'm not sure the higher ups really want that to happen. Either way I think the higher ups wouldn't mind a spurs or thunder rematch with the heat.

Uh, no. Last night, the top three stories on SportsCenter were: 1) Heat beat the Blazers by two points 2) Clippers beat Bucks 3)Howard returns for the Rockets and win...and then later on after some NCAA Tourney talk...oh yeah, the Sixers extend their losing streak to 25 games!

Budkin
03-25-2014, 12:33 PM
So in other wordd the NBA does not want a Spurs/Heat rerematch.:lol

This. Heat-Thunder obviously tbh

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Anybody saying they'd want OKC-Heat have nothing to back up their word.

SpurPadre
03-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Anybody saying they'd want OKC-Heat have nothing to back up their word.

Well, the general sports fan, who is an idiot minion of ESPN, will say they'd prefer that matchup because they'll see more dunks, tattoos, saggy shorts, trash-talking, and maybe a fight breakout...and oh yeah, dunks because dunks are the only thing in their minds that make basketball cool.

exstatic
03-25-2014, 01:02 PM
OKC/Heat would generate good game ratings, but only five of them. Heat would CRUSH.

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Well, the general sports fan, who is an idiot minion of ESPN, will say they'd prefer that matchup because they'll see more dunks, tattoos, saggy shorts, trash-talking, and maybe a fight breakout...and oh yeah, dunks because dunks are the only thing in their minds that make basketball cool.

But like you said..they say that cause they follow ESPN. But ESPN is on the spurs bandwagon more then they have ever been. The boring label is over with. SVP just said there us no doubt Spurs are winning it all..Colin said they're favorite to win it all and we already know bout Skip..

TampaDude
03-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Spurs vs Heat, but this time the Spurs have HCA.

SpurPadre
03-25-2014, 01:23 PM
But like you said..they say that cause they follow ESPN. But ESPN is on the spurs bandwagon more then they have ever been. The boring label is over with. SVP just said there us no doubt Spurs are winning it all..Colin said they're favorite to win it all and we already know bout Skip..

Then why in their top lead stories for the day, do they have the Sixers losing 25 in a row along with Tiger Woods being injured listed and not us winning 14 in a row? In fact, they got to about a half dozen news pieces of information before even getting to our winning streak, in which they spent more time on the Sixers losing again. They are not on our bandwagon for the most part.

rogues
03-25-2014, 01:28 PM
:lol it will be no more than a five game series this time around..fluky shooting from the Spurs extended the series to seven games, tbh..won't happen this time around..

Mouth is Bleeding
03-25-2014, 01:28 PM
If Katie gets MVP the hype and "demand" will only build and build. Who knows how strong and obnoxious it's going to be.

But no way that a rematch from last season doesn't also have strong appeal.

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Then why in their top lead stories for the day, do they have the Sixers losing 25 in a row along with Tiger Woods being injured listed and not us winning 14 in a row? In fact, they got to about a half dozen news pieces of information before even getting to our winning streak, in which they spent more time on the Sixers losing again. They are not on our bandwagon for the most part.

Because Philly is about to break a league record. And Tiger is one of the most popular athlete in the country. Spurs aren't news. We're damn good and the country already knows it.

NBA wouldn't complain at all if it's OKC-Heat, but they will make more $ if it's SA-Heat due to number of games and part 2 of one of the best Finals of all-time.

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
If Katie gets MVP the hype and "demand" will only build and build. Who knows how strong and obnoxious it's going to be.

But no way that a rematch from last season doesn't also have strong appeal.

Durante winning MVP doesn't make the series competitive...

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 01:37 PM
:lol it will be no more than a five game series this time around..fluky shooting from the Spurs extended the series to seven games, tbh..won't happen this time around..

Only fluke that happened was the end of game 6. Spurs are hands down best shooting team in the league

ThomasamohT
03-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I meant to say they are relatively pushing us more than in the past. Besides, the only way the Spurs would have been the top story is if they LOST to the sixers. I'm not even sure the heat would have been the top story if they were playing the sixers.

Sean Cagney
03-25-2014, 01:57 PM

That series was horrible IMO, OKC runs scared everytime they play the Heat.

Mel_13
03-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Anybody saying they'd want Spurs-Heat have nothing to back up their word.

BillMc
03-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Well, from an entertainment point of view (as opposed to an "ease of opponent" point of view) I'd like to see, from most to least:

Spurs - Heat
Spurs - Nets (Love to see TD take down KG on the biggest stage)
Spurs - Bulls
Spurs - Raptors (just to see a sad DeColo on the sidelines when we win).

All the other Eastern opponents are the same when evaluating it from an entertainment angle. Somehow, Spurs-Pacers just doesn't thrill me.

InRareForm
03-25-2014, 03:35 PM
The heat own the thunder

coachmac87
03-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Anybody saying they'd want Spurs-Heat have nothing to back up their word.

TV ratings speak otherwise..

Mel_13
03-25-2014, 04:16 PM
TV ratings speak otherwise..

I don't know what they're telling you, but this was only thing about ratings in this thread:

Nope. I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago with ratings for Heat/Spurs, Heat/OKC, and Heat/Knicks.

Heat/Spurs just barely beat out Heat/Knicks in terms of ratings, and Heat/OKC was far and away the highest rated on TNT.

At any rate, you've done nothing but state an opinion. There are no facts to support a claim that the "NBA wants a Spurs-Heat rematch".

SpursRock20
03-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Bleh. We already got that two years ago and it was nothing special. I'm sure a weaker Thunder team would make for an even less intriguing series.

Horry Hipcheck
03-25-2014, 04:48 PM
I could buy the league wanting a rematch for storyline purposes, but OKC-Miami would undoubtedly bring in better ratings. Which is a shame, because we already got the Heat obliterating an OKC team that HAD James Harden. Durant-LeBron is fun on paper, but not if LeBron cakewalks over the rest of the Thunder.

If the league wants ratings, which they do, they'll want Heat-OKC. If they want a longer, more competitive series (and, therefore, more TV revenue) they'll want Heat-Spurs. Some basketball purists may want the latter because it's a better story and features a more competitive matchup, but if recent history is any indication, few casual observers want anything less than Heat-Thunder.

poeticism707
03-25-2014, 04:53 PM

Sad but true.

One reason I'd rather someone else beat the Thunder.

Not because the Spurs can't beat OKC: the Spurs CAN beat the Thunder in 4.

The only question is whether or not Stern and Silver will return to their 2012 WCF Form, and have give the Thunder call, after call, after call, to the tune of 4 straight wins and the Spurs gone from the playoffs...

We will see soon enough...

RD2191
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the NBA wants either the Clips/Rockets/Thunder to face the Heat. They all have marketable "stars".

Sixth Street
03-25-2014, 05:20 PM
The NBA markets players not teams. They desperately want a Durant-LeBron matchup in the Finals.

HI-FI
03-25-2014, 08:43 PM
fuck I'd hate to see a OKC-Heat rematch. I'm hoping that Silver isn't as corrupt and uncreative as Stern, I've heard he's actually quite a bit different. The whole "hey I've run out of ideas, let's recreate the Magic/Bird rivalry" was still part of Stern's schtick, I'm hoping they've got better ideas than remaking something from the 80s.

heyheymymy
03-25-2014, 08:58 PM
nba is all about storyline because it sells, so luckily spurs wandered into one and were part of the show now.

ThomasamohT
03-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Heat-OKC ratings:
Game Ratings American audience

1(tue) 9.9 16.195
2(thr) 10.4 16.670
3(sun) 8.8 15.549
4(tue) 10.5 17.455
5(thur)10.9 18.461

Avg: 10.1 16.866

Heat-Spurs ratings:
1(thr) 8.8 14.241
2(sun) 8.5 14.571
3(tue) 8.5 14.045
4(thr) 10.0 16.228
5(sun) 9.5 16.267
6(tue) 12.3 20.636
7(thr) 15.3 26.319

Avg: 10.41 17.472

Spurs-Heat had higher averages and higher peaks but started lower.

Spurs-Heat averaged only 9.06 in first 5 games vs 10.1 in previous year.

OKC-Heat was a decrease of 1% over the previous years matchup versus the mavs.

The last NBA finals rematch, in 1998, drew 11% higher ratings than the previous year.

I imagine a Spurs-Heat rematch would start higher than it did last year and if they went 6 or 7 games would probably achieve higher numbers than any finals since 2004.

KaiRMD1
03-25-2014, 11:41 PM
NBA wants Durant-LeBron with the way they have been talking about how Durant is challenging Lebron's MVP chase

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
03-25-2014, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure about that, but I know I want a Spurs/Miami finals. I don't want it any other way.

dg7md
03-26-2014, 02:55 AM
It'd be a great series, and we need our chance at payback. I don't know who else could be in the Finals at this stage of the NBA, but the playoffs haven't even started yet — anything can happen.

weeks
03-26-2014, 11:42 AM

the kang sweatin bullets when he thinks about dealing with kawhi again

Mel_13
04-20-2014, 08:55 AM
:lol

Anyone that watched Game 1 of OKC-Grizz can't possibly believe that the "NBA wants Spurs-Heat rematch"

They want Durant-LeBron.

TampaDude
04-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Gotta be a Spurs-Heat rematch. Why?

1. Because we want payback for last year.

2. Because, tbqh, any team coming out of the West not named the Spurs will get their shit pushed in by Miami in the Finals. OKC without Harden would probably get swept.

will_spurs
04-20-2014, 09:49 AM
All in all it seems the NBA will be satisfied as long as the WCF is OKC @ SA, as Miami is coming out of the East no matter what.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Heat-OKC ratings:

1(tue) 9.9 16.195
2(thr) 10.4 16.670
3(sun) 8.8 15.549
4(tue) 10.5 17.455
5(thur)10.9 18.461

Avg: 10.1 16.866

Heat-Spurs ratings:
1(thr) 8.8 14.241
2(sun) 8.5 14.571
3(tue) 8.5 14.045
4(thr) 10.0 16.228
5(sun) 9.5 16.267
6(tue) 12.3 20.636
7(thr) 15.3 26.319

Avg: 10.41 17.472

Spurs-Heat had higher averages and higher peaks but started lower.

Spurs-Heat averaged only 9.06 in first 5 games vs 10.1 in previous year.

OKC-Heat was a decrease of 1% over the previous years matchup versus the mavs.

The last NBA finals rematch, in 1998, drew 11% higher ratings than the previous year.

I imagine a Spurs-Heat rematch would start higher than it did last year and if they went 6 or 7 games would probably achieve higher numbers than any finals since 2004.

That's a really bad way of looking at it (averages and peaks). Game 7s always have high ratings no matter who is playing, and it's reasonable to assume that a Heat/OKC game 7 would have comparable of not higher ratings than a heat/spurs game 7.

The fact is Heat/OKC consistently had higher ratings for the games that were played (games 1 through 5) and TV markets made more future money from advertisers based on projected ratings next the following year.