PDA

View Full Version : Is This San Antonio Spurs Team the Best Since Title-Winning 2007 Group?

Old School 44
03-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Here's an article from Bleacher Report. Do you think this is the best team since 2007?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If winning in excess and contending for NBA (http://bleacherreport.com/nba) titles is boring, color the San Antonio Spurs (http://bleacherreport.com/san-antonio-spurs) mundane.
Four championships, five Finals appearances and countless Gregg Popovich scowls later, the Spurs are still kicking and winning, dominating like it's 2007—if 2007 were in fact 2014.

Conventional wisdom would have us believe the Spurs should be gasping for a breath of postseason air at this point in their development. Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are graying, Tony Parker isn't far behind and Coach Pop hasn't been captured sporting a smile since oil paintings went out of style. Read more... (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2003677-is-this-san-antonio-spurs-team-the-best-since-title-winning-2007-group#articles/2003677-is-this-san-antonio-spurs-team-the-best-since-title-winning-2007-group)

BillMc
03-25-2014, 12:19 PM
That 2012 team was damn good even though we lost to OKC. Remember that team won 20 in a row (the last 10 regular season games, the first 10 playoff games). And of course 2013 we were nearly champs.

It's funny how fast we've gone with the '14 group from "can't beat the best teams" to best Spurs team of the last 7 years. I'm not saying we're not, just how fickle the media coverage is.

DJB
03-25-2014, 12:25 PM
I think we pretty much suck until we hoist that trophy.

03-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Good read.

Prime Time
03-25-2014, 12:29 PM
2013 was probably San Antonio's best team. 2012 still relied too much on the Big 3, guys like Danny/Neal/Splitter/Diaw all kind of sucked in the WCF. Parker/Gino/Duncan/Jackson/Leonard were the only decent players that series, and Leonard was still no where near the level he's at now.

2013 had a productive Big 3 with a much more experienced Green/Leonard/Splitter, and Diaw was more aggressive. Boris was passive as hell during the 2012 run lol

The 2014 squad COULD potentially be better if all the cards fall right. I will say this - 2014 squad's ceiling is higher than that of 2013. But I'm not sure if they'll be able to reach it, with Duncan at 38/Parker at 32.

Budkin
03-25-2014, 12:34 PM
After rounding into form now, yes.

cd021
03-25-2014, 12:41 PM
i dont think that 07 team was as good as any of teams from the last 3 seasons.

Arcadian
03-25-2014, 12:43 PM
The Spurs have improved every year since 2009.

2014 > 2013 > 2012 > 2011 > 2010 > 2009

Old School 44
03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
This years team is just so much deeper than 2007 and has a great blend of youth and experience.

Jimcs50
03-25-2014, 01:09 PM
If we get #1 seed, then yes, this is team on par with 07 group. BTW, this team is better than last year's team. Last year, the Spurs limped into the playoffs losing 4 of last 5 games and were 8 games behind Miami. They caught a break when Westbrook went out and took advantage of weaker road to Finals. This year, if they do secure the #1 seed, they wil be in stronger position to knock off Miami, who it seems is not as good this year, as of right this minute.

look_at_g_shred
03-25-2014, 01:58 PM
i dont think that 07 team was as good as any of teams from the last 3 seasons.
tbh....

Seventyniner
03-25-2014, 02:05 PM
2013 was probably San Antonio's best team. 2012 still relied too much on the Big 3, guys like Danny/Neal/Splitter/Diaw all kind of sucked in the WCF. Parker/Gino/Duncan/Jackson/Leonard were the only decent players that series, and Leonard was still no where near the level he's at now.

2013 had a productive Big 3 with a much more experienced Green/Leonard/Splitter, and Diaw was more aggressive. Boris was passive as hell during the 2012 run lol

The 2014 squad COULD potentially be better if all the cards fall right. I will say this - 2014 squad's ceiling is higher than that of 2013. But I'm not sure if they'll be able to reach it, with Duncan at 38/Parker at 32.

Good take. :toast

SpursFan86
03-25-2014, 02:19 PM
To the people who point to the 2011/2012 squads: there's a big difference - we weren't elite defensively in those years. IIRC, we were a top 3 defensive team in every single year from 1999-2008. From 2009-2012, we were outside of the top 5 in every year. Not coincidentally, last year was our first time getting back to the Finals...and we were the 3rd ranked defense. This team is similar to last year's team, but here are the differences:

+ Ginobili is back to playing like 6th Man of the Year
+ Kawhi has improved
+ Green has come into his own as a legitimately good defender, and Pop realizes this now (look at how many minutes Green got when Leonard was out)
+ I'm not sure what to think about Splitter. He started off great, and has been great lately, but I'm still not sure if he's better or worse
+ Replaced Neal with Belinelli, which is a noticeable upgrade
+ Diaw 2.0 > Diaw from last year
+ Mills's emergence as backup PG

- Duncan isn't where he was at last year
- Parker isn't where he was at last year

Overall, we've improved IMO. If Parker/Duncan get into their rhythm come playoff time, this team is going to be a serious threat to any team we come across, including OKC or Houston or whoever else people are nervous about facing. I do believe this is our best squad since 2007, and I'm not saying that strictly based on our regular season record. It has more to do with 2013 being our best team in a while, and my belief that this team is better than last year's team.

At this point, all we can do is hope to remain healthy, and hope every one is clicking come playoff time.

xtremesteven33
Spurs have had the benefit of playing in an era of basketball where basic fundamentals seem to be lost. Sean Elliott has said that there are many teams in the league getting players from the draft that have no idea of basic basketball vernacular a typical NBA players should use. They come in with no true concept of team basketball and basic fundamentals. The Spurs may not have players on their team who are "Superstar" material, but they know how to win basketball games. They have stood pat with their main core despite many people pressing the panic button seemingly every year.

This team is truly something to behold. This team is starting to play with swagger. A kind of confidence that does not boast cockiness but rather a collective swagger. They know they can beat anyone. They know that title should've been theirs. The more this team plays it seems the more they are getting better. I try to maintain an even keel when it comes to being a fan of the best team in the NBA and try not to show my "Homerism", but im really feeling something very special about this team.

Spur|n|Austin
Great read, thanks for sharing :toast

larrychen21
03-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Actually...what we are having right now is better than any of previous 4 championship teams.

letmk
03-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Only if Kawhi and Boris take the initiatives. I wish Kawhi could have 8-10 18+ points games during playoffs, and Boris needs to take 8-10 shots per game.

Gospursel
03-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Splitter is better than last year - better rebounder, finisher, etc. Diaw is more aggressive than last year and can still be a defensive stopper. We have a back up point in Mills who really helps the second unit be dangerously good that we didn't have before. Belineli is a legit Neal replacement and team player. Green has become a dominant defender in transition and is still good on his man. leonard is a stopper and knows his role on offense. Manu is healthier now than he ever was last year. Parker, if rested, is still as good. Duncan has kept fighting time and will take over when needed. Those 9 can win and fit wonderfully together in pops system. It's beautiful to watch them.

ginobilized
03-25-2014, 03:09 PM
This team is really good right now! If they stay healthy and continue to gel and improve, they will win the title. I cannot see any team beating them 4 times.
There are a lot of great takes on this already, I see this team as smarter and less mistake prone than last year's squad.
There seems to be a pride and spirit in the Foreign Legion second unit that is determined to dominate. When TP and TD are in playoff form, this will be a tough team. They really seem like they are on a mission.

I am wondering if Matt Bonner's injury and Austin Daye's emergence are related. Don't imagine that Daye will be a part of the playoff rotation, but, what an interesting option to have.....

poeticism707
03-25-2014, 03:12 PM
The 2014 team is head and shoulders better the 2013 team.

The 2014 team would blow out the 2007 team head to head, as that team didn't have enough offense.

If the Spurs stay healthy, and just get fair whistles from Stern and Silver (tall order):

THEN SPURS WILL BE THE 2014 CHAMPIONS.

Book it.

RD2191
03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Idk, but they better win it all this year or we will forever be known as chokers. Overachieving my ass. They should/need to win the title.

SpursRock20
03-25-2014, 03:25 PM
To the people who point to the 2011/2012 squads: there's a big difference - we weren't elite defensively in those years. IIRC, we were a top 3 defensive team in every single year from 1999-2008. From 2009-2012, we were outside of the top 5 in every year. Not coincidentally, last year was our first time getting back to the Finals...and we were the 3rd ranked defense. This team is similar to last year's team, but here are the differences:

+ Kawhi has improved
+ Green has come into his own as a legitimately good defender, and Pop realizes this now (look at how many minutes Green got when Leonard was out)
+ I'm not sure what to think about Splitter. He started off great, and has been great lately, but I'm still not sure if he's better or worse

Overall, we've improved IMO. If Parker/Duncan get into their rhythm come playoff time, this team is going to be a serious threat to any team we come across, including OKC or Houston or whoever else people are nervous about facing. I do believe this is our best squad since 2007, and I'm not saying that strictly based on our regular season record. It has more to do with 2013 being our best team in a while, and my belief that this team is better than last year's team.

At this point, all we can do is hope to remain healthy, and hope every one is clicking come playoff time.
This was a well-thought out post. I agree with quite a bit of what you had to say, but I give a bit more weighting to Duncan's decline than you probably do. If he is not hitting that 15 foot jump shot at near the clip that he was last season, I don't like our chances in the Finals (if we make it), especially if it's against the Pacers.

spurraider21
03-25-2014, 03:51 PM
every year we say "yes" so i'll just say yes again

Horry Hipcheck
03-25-2014, 04:41 PM

+ Kawhi has improved

I agree with all of this. The most significant improvement over last season was the offloading of Gary Neal in exchange for Marco. Elsewhere, Patty Mills has stepped up in Neal's place to run the point when Parker's on the bench. Ginobili's numbers are up (even if he's still a little turnover prone at the wrong times), the team has been improving defensively every season since 2011. Daye could be a valuable asset in the near future, more so than de Colo.

This iteration of the Spurs, like every iteration since the 2009 first round exit team, has been better than the last. They have the talent in place to win it all, they just need the right match ups. OKC presents the greatest problems, but against almost anyone else, they could be favored. This winning streak has aptly demonstrated this team's depth and if the season continues in this fashion, with the early title favorites beginning to show fatigue, 2014 could very well be the year the 2013 almost was.

SpursFan86
03-25-2014, 06:10 PM
This was a well-thought out post. I agree with quite a bit of what you had to say, but I give a bit more weighting to Duncan's decline than you probably do. If he is not hitting that 15 foot jump shot at near the clip that he was last season, I don't like our chances in the Finals (if we make it), especially if it's against the Pacers.

If you compare Duncan's performance this season sans November (that month he was horrible in and we had people in here legitimately worrying if he was done) to his performance last year, it's not so far off.

He has been a little less effective on defense this season. He's seemed to have lost a bit of mobility. And you're right in that his ability to hit mid-range jumpers is important. He's definitely not playing at the level he was at last year, and it's a bit concerning. I have faith in him though...I think he'll be around the same level come playoff time.

BTW, I wouldn't be too worried about Indiana. They've looked like a completely different team in the 2nd half of the season. I'd be very surprised if they get through Miami. They might not even get through Brooklyn or Chicago.

EVAY
03-25-2014, 06:26 PM
This is a better overall team, imo, than in the last few years. How that translates into playoff success I don't know.

I agree with the observations that Parker and Duncan are not at the same level they were last year. However, we don't need those two to be dominant in the way they were last year. The fact that our whole team is better because of the upgrades attributable to improvements from Manu, Mills, Diaw and Bellinell are huge, and Splitter is better this year than last.

What I can't figure out is how much the decline from the two most important starters can be off set by the improved play from the others.

The extent to which Parker remains susceptible to the taller and longer defenders he faces in OKC and Miami is not gonna get fixed between now and June, imo.

Duncan is not going to become more mobile between now and then.

But Duncan is still going to be important, and Parker is still going to have to attack the lane in order for offense to get set. If Pop et.al. cannot come up with a way to protect Parker in the paint more than has happened so far, I see problems ahead on a big scale. If we can get a second ball handler in the playoffs when teams force the ball out of Parker's hands, we have a big upside. But I don't know who that is going to be. But it just might be Diaw…as a starter…in place of Green.

Sybok
03-25-2014, 06:27 PM
None of that speculation matters tbqh. We won't know until we are well into the playoffs. As shitty as the competition is, it's really hard to say.

Sybok
03-25-2014, 06:30 PM
This is a better overall team, imo, than in the last few years. How that translates into playoff success I don't know.

I agree with the observations that Parker and Duncan are not at the same level they were last year. However, we don't need those two to be dominant in the way they were last year. The fact that our whole team is better because of the upgrades attributable to improvements from Manu, Mills, Diaw and Bellinell are huge, and Splitter is better this year than last.

What I can't figure out is how much the decline from the two most important starters can be off set by the improved play from the others.

The extent to which Parker remains susceptible to the taller and longer defenders he faces in OKC and Miami is not gonna get fixed between now and June, imo.

Duncan is not going to become more mobile between now and then.

But Duncan is still going to be important, and Parker is still going to have to attack the lane in order for offense to get set. If Pop et.al. cannot come up with a way to protect Parker in the paint more than has happened so far, I see problems ahead on a big scale. If we can get a second ball handler in the playoffs when teams force the ball out of Parker's hands, we have a big upside. But I don't know who that is going to be. But it just might be Diaw…as a starter…in place of Green.

I agree with this, but also it matters whether or not our stars can step up in the post season to match or beat theirs. It seems obvious that we cannot beat Wade/Bosh/James with our big 3. We have to rely on bench performance. If that falters in the playoffs, it could be an early exit for us. I'd say our big 3 can match other playoff teams, maybe not the Rockets or the Thunder. I've never seen our bench be that effective against the Thunder, not recently anyhow.

EVAY
03-25-2014, 06:40 PM
One of the things that is a truism in the NBA is that the good teams get other teams staffing and designing plays specifically to beat them. That has been true of the Spurs for a long time, particularly in the Western Conference, and OKC has done it better than any of the others, undoubtedly due to Presti's knowledge of our team. The tendency to staff and design plays to be used in the playoffs was how the Spurs learned to beat Utah in the Malone/Nash years.

Everybody on the planet knows what we do and how we do it. The Spurs' ability to execute their offense in the face of others' knowing what they are going to do is a testament to their talent. The talent level of our opponents in the playoffs is why it gets so much harder for us to do what we do…they not only know what it is going to be…they have the talent to prevent us from executing as well as normal.

That's why none of us really knows how this is going to go.

heyheymymy
03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
we are better than last year, the only 2 things better last year were parker and duncan- but i think they are both just saving it for the playoffs and not really lifting a finger this reg season. but last year reg season they both looked much crisper. duncan isn't hitting that key area jumper he was nailing in '13, and parker has only shown flashes of '13 level. but after the euro classic i know parker is gonna bring that fire to the nba playoffs.

- mills is better than neal
- bonner isn't getting real mins
- blair isn't on the roster
- diaw is 2.0'd
- marco instead of tmac/ '13 version sjax
- green, splitter, leonard 1 year deeper in the system/ seasoned by a deep playoff run
- manu playing complete ball

SpursFan86
03-25-2014, 09:02 PM

This is what it'll come down to. Especially in the playoffs where rotations get shortened and performance from the main guys becomes more important. As much as I like the new Diaw, Belinelli, Mills, etc...we're going to need Duncan/Parker/Manu to play at a high level if we want a shot at 5.

Kool Bob Love
03-25-2014, 09:27 PM
I'll wait till June to answer this question.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-26-2014, 05:50 AM
With Ginobli playing better than 2012 or 2013, with Duncan playing at the same level last year, with both Green, Splitter and Kwahi all more season and playing better, and you substitute Marco for Neal, yes, this team is the best team the Spurs have had since 2007.

I predicted that the Spurs would have the best record out West if not the NBA, due to their deep bench, and I also believe they can and more than likely will win the Title this year. Spurs are a resolute bunch, unlike posters here who just seem to have fallen apart after last year's defeat.

wildchild
03-26-2014, 10:07 AM

Tim seems to miss a lot of 15 foot jump shots, it feels like his shot is broken but he can start knocking down those shots at any time.
I think he'll fine in next games.

+ Kawhi has improved

:flag:

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Health will be the key, more important than seedings or matchups. I think the top seed is going to be very valuable in the playoffs, but you might not see Pop play any starter over 20 minutes those last few games of the year. The top seed won't matter if we're missing a key piece, and this year we really have 8 or 9 key pieces, in my opinion. Our rotations are our biggest advantage over other teams. Bringing in Patty for Parker, utilizing both Green and Leonard as perimeter defenders. Beli's playmaking ability and shooting. Splitter's emergence as one of the better bigs in the league. The spark that Diaw provides. The leadership and grit of the Big 3. Even guys like Joseph and Baynes play important roles in spelling the other players and letting those guys stay fresh. The Spurs truly epitomize "team" and losing anyone would hurt us.

But, yes, the Spurs look great. This team is a great mix of veterans and youth. The Spurs can go big and small. They can defend; they have size in the paint; they can fill the passing lanes and get steals, rebounds, blocked shots. Every player on the squad can shoot the ball. The Spurs offensive sets and passing skills during games look like something out of an instructional video. The bench is the strongest in the NBA, and gives us a decided advantage when the 2nd units come on.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-26-2014, 11:57 AM

+ Kawhi has improved

Nice post, but I don't know if Kawhi has necessarily improved as much as regained his form post injury. His shooting stroke looks much better since he has comeback.

And while our improved bench has offset the starters, all of the bench players minutes will decrease come playoff time putting more pressure on TD/TP to match last year's playoff performances.

I still think the Spurs have a great chance to make the Finals, no doubt, but last year's team was awfully good and will be hard to top.

TD 21
03-26-2014, 06:07 PM
This is what it'll come down to. Especially in the playoffs where rotations get shortened and performance from the main guys becomes more important. As much as I like the new Diaw, Belinelli, Mills, etc...we're going to need Duncan/Parker/Manu to play at a high level if we want a shot at 5.

This is why, as much as they're probably the best team since '07, in the literal sense, they're not as equipped to win a championship as last season. You don't necessarily need the very best talent, but you need true elite talent to win it all and based on what we've seen to this point, they don't have it.

Duncan't mid range shot still looks broken and Parker, though he's still likely holding back some, can't sustain. He's become like Duncan of the past handful of years, where for stretches he can look unstoppable offensively, but rarely can he keep it up for a full game, let alone a stretch of games.

hitmantb
03-26-2014, 07:42 PM
This is why, as much as they're probably the best team since '07, in the literal sense, they're not as equipped to win a championship as last season. You don't necessarily need the very best talent, but you need true elite talent to win it all and based on what we've seen to this point, they don't have it.

Duncan't mid range shot still looks broken and Parker, though he's still likely holding back some, can't sustain. He's become like Duncan of the past handful of years, where for stretches he can look unstoppable offensively, but rarely can he keep it up for a full game, let alone a stretch of games.

This.

It will be the happiest day in my sports life if Duncan can win a fifth, but as good as Pop's system is, in a seven game series against the best talents, when they have all the time in the world to prepare and custom tailor against our role players, it will come down to the stars and my gut feeling is our 1-2 punch is weaker than any other elite team's equivalent.

LeBron or Sefolosha on Parker all game is enough to break down our system and force us to run more 1v1 plays, and late in the series that is what other teams will do.

I would love to be wrong but historically we have never been able to overcome this since Duncan stopped being #1 power forward in the game. I hope Parker will finally break that very thin sheet of paper that separates him from a true tier-1 star and get his big brother a proper send off, we will see.