PDA

View Full Version : Why is Diaw continuing to be run ragged?

TD 21
03-26-2014, 06:31 PM
He was always important, but thanks to Duncan's mid range shot being broken, Bonner no longer looking rotation caliber, Ayres proving he's not rotation caliber, the front office failing to bring in a third forward and his own improved play, he's literally become indispensable.

No matter the situation, he plays. He inexplicably played the entire 4th quarter last game, because Daye couldn't guard Young and Ayres can't space the floor well enough to get by playing PF offensively. These two things inexplicably superseded the fact that they had a comfortable lead against a historically awful team. Worst yet, it wasn't the first time this has occurred this season.

He's closing in on 32, is in his 12th season and like Parker, has basically played year round in the past year and done so many times, yet despite this he continues to play the longest stretches on the team. It's clearly caught up to him the past two games, as he's looked awful. If they don't have him capable of providing roughly 30 solid minutes a game in the playoffs, they're not going beyond the 2nd round.

dallasmaverickslose
03-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Huh?

exstatic
03-26-2014, 06:39 PM
He does need a day off. I'm hoping he gets one before next week's killer sched.

DesignatedT
03-26-2014, 06:39 PM
He's falling back into unselfish Boris with the full roster. I don't think anything has caught up to him. He's as good as he wants to be any given night. Obviously the injuries early made him force the issue a lot more offensively. Now you see Kawhi playing super aggressive since his return and putting up more shots than normal and people complain/worry about Boris. You can't have it all. Something's gotta give.

Mugen
03-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Agreed tbh.

exstatic
03-26-2014, 06:47 PM
He's falling back into unselfish Boris with the full roster. I don't think anything has caught up to him. He's as good as he wants to be any given night. Obviously the injuries early made him force the issue a lot more offensively. Now you see Kawhi playing super aggressive since his return and putting up more shots than normal and people complain/worry about Boris. You can't have it all. Something's gotta give.

I don't see him falling back, I see almost everything hitting the front of the rim. He's primarily a jump shooter. The rest of his game derives from that. His legs are tired.

Robz4000
03-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Same. Don't think he'll play too much the next few games imo, if at all.

ElNono
03-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Boris had a couple of rough shooting nights... I thought he was as aggressive as usual, tbh.. don't think this team depends on Boris to get past the 2nd round either...

DesignatedT
03-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Now that I look at it.... He's played over 30 minutes 1 time in the last 10 games. 3 of those games he has played less than 20 minutes.

He's averaging 24.8 MPG for the month of March. The last 10 games closer to 22MPG. If that's being run ragged I'm scared of what you think about the rest of the team.

superjames1992
03-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Boris has played 25 MPG. If that's being run ragged, then... :lol

ElNono
03-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Now that I look at it.... He's played over 30 minutes 1 time in the last 10 games. 3 of those games he has played less than 20 minutes.

yeah, it's not that. His shot was just not falling the last couple games. The good thing is that he keeps on shooting.

DPG21920
03-26-2014, 06:59 PM

He's averaging 24.8 MPG for the month of March. The last 10 games closer to 22MPG. If that's being run ragged I'm scared of what you think about the rest of the team.

Well, TP got 3 weeks off and somehow was "run ragged" despite playing limited minutes to the point he needed to be rested in a non-back to back..

DesignatedT
03-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Well Tp was clearly not himself early in the year. He expends a lot more energy and takes much more of a beating game in and game out as well. I can see the point that we should start giving Diaw the night off on a b2b or something here and there but the being run ragged thing is a bit excessive. I don't think he's been playing worse because he's tired as much as he's just taking a mental break from the game at the moment. The guy was a beast early in the year and much of that was out of necessity. It's not needed at the moment and he knows that, he's a smart guy.

DPG21920
03-26-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm just saying, TP was given a full 3 weeks off. How on Earth after that would you need a rest when it's not even a B2B?

Russ
03-26-2014, 07:12 PM
This is still training camp for Boris. He's trying to get into playing shape.

Mikeanaro
03-26-2014, 07:16 PM
He is not raped maybe some rest would help but its more like some bad shooting nights, Boris is 32 yo Healthy so he is not a dinosaur or a special case like Arenas or Bill Walton, dont be afraid.

superbigtime
03-26-2014, 07:20 PM
I hope he either sits tonight or plays limited minutes. Maybe Pop will give Daye some more burn to supplement Boris' minutes.

Johnny RIngo
03-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Duncan's played the most minutes of anybody on the team this year and he's 38 years old. I wouldn't worry about Diaw's minutes - a 32 year old player should be able to handle 25 mpg.

pgardn
03-26-2014, 08:16 PM
We have spread out the minutes very well this year imo.

superjames1992
03-26-2014, 08:30 PM
He is not raped maybe some rest would help but its more like some bad shooting nights, Boris is 32 yo Healthy so he is not a dinosaur or a special case like Arenas or Bill Walton, dont be afraid.
Err.... hmm.....

cd021
03-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Boris has played 25 MPG. If that's being run ragged, then... :lol

He does cover most of the stretch fours and he does play big minutes during rest games. If Pop rests Green who is 27 he can afford to rest Diaw who is 5 years older.

Arcadian
03-26-2014, 08:43 PM
:lol Biggest concern is that our 8th guy in the rotation is playing too much

Things must be going pretty well when this is a thread.

cd021
03-26-2014, 08:44 PM
If Pop choses to keep Tim in San Antonio, that doesn't bode well for Diaw getting rest. He would likely start at Denver and have to cover AD the following night back in San Antonio.

DJR210
03-27-2014, 11:30 PM

+1

Baam
03-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Still seems in good spirits at least :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bj07PDYCQAAG2eJ.jpg

playbonner15
03-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Still seems in good spirits at least :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bj07PDYCQAAG2eJ.jpg

Dafuq Manu you're gonna injure yourself :bang

look_at_g_shred
03-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Coasting tbh

xellos88330
03-28-2014, 02:51 PM
It sucks when shots you have been making the entire season stop going in. There are some shots that Boris passes up when his shot isn't falling, but at the same time, the pass he makes is normally the correct one. I don't believe it is a lack of intensity or determination, but instead just a shooting slump. He has plenty of time to recover and regain his form. Once his shot is back, no one will be worrying about him anymore.

Spur-Addict
03-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Dafuq Manu you're gonna injure yourself :bang

:rollin Guy probably could pull his hamstring brushing his teeth in the morning

TD 21
04-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Why is Splitter, who's younger, didn't play in the summer, plays more than 3 minutes less per game, had a multiple week injury earlier in the season and in most match-ups, will not play as much as Diaw, continuing to be babied as if he's 45 years old, yet Diaw is still continuing to be run into the ground? Heck, even Mills, who they don't figure to need for more than roughly 12 meaningful minutes a game in the playoffs and who's young, is now being given a game off, but not Diaw, who's production has quietly fallen off significantly since I made this thread.

ElNono
04-14-2014, 10:57 PM
I didn't think Splitter not playing this game had much to do with rest...

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-14-2014, 11:00 PM
I didn't think Splitter not playing this game had much to do with rest...

Meh, Diaw still needs a rest

#2!
04-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Extra playing time is the only hopes of keeping his fat ass in shape tbh

ChumpDumper
04-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Why is Splitter, who's younger, didn't play in the summer, plays more than 3 minutes less per game, had a multiple week injury earlier in the season and in most match-ups, will not play as much as Diaw, continuing to be babied as if he's 45 years old, yet Diaw is still continuing to be run into the ground? Heck, even Mills, who they don't figure to need for more than roughly 12 meaningful minutes a game in the playoffs and who's young, is now being given a game off, but not Diaw, who's production has quietly fallen off significantly since I made this thread.His numbers are worse after he has a day off compared to the second game of a back-to-back -- so I'm going to say your pimping your theory has more to do with pimping your theory than Diaw's actual physical well being.

TD 21
04-15-2014, 06:40 PM
His numbers are worse after he has a day off compared to the second game of a back-to-back -- so I'm going to say your pimping your theory has more to do with pimping your theory than Diaw's actual physical well being.

Fair enough, but that doesn't answer why he's closing in on a 2,000 minute season, while Splitter has barely eclipsed 1,200. I don't see any reasonable explanation for this.

Arcadian
04-15-2014, 06:43 PM
:lol Coaches are afraid he'll get fat again if he takes a game off

DesignatedT
04-15-2014, 06:51 PM
The possibility of Splitter getting hurt is far >>>>> than Diaw getting tired.

Sean did make a remark during the broadcast about Splitters calf giving him problems during the year or something though. One thing everyone should know by now is that the Spurs and their players don't always broadcast their injuries for the fans and media to talk about.