PDA

View Full Version : Is this post-Duncan team a legit contender?

Richie
03-26-2014, 11:05 PM
It's the 2015 off season, Duncan and Manu have just retired and we've signed Marc Gasol to replace Timmy. Bringing back most of our current squad, we could be playing

Parker/Mills
Green/Belinelli
Kawhi/Jean-Charles
Gasol/Diaw
Splitter/Baynes?

I think Gasol/Splitter can work the same way Timmy/Splitter works as Gasol is an excellent passer and mid range jumpshoter as well as an elite defender.

Obviously missing Timmys locker room presence and playoff experience, but I think that team could win a title with Kawhi getting more burn offensively if Parker keeps up his level of play.

Russ
03-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Whose the coach?

03-26-2014, 11:09 PM
The years of being beat up in the paint are already catching up with Tony, so I don't think you can bet on him still being MVParker in a couple years. And why in the world would we sign am old Gasol? wouldn't he be like 33 going into 2015-2016? We need youth to build around after Timmy's gone.

spurraider21
03-26-2014, 11:09 PM
if they actually bring in marc gasol, and a guy like Bertans pans out to full potential, they'll be a good playoff team. i would curb my expectations on what parker can bring in 2015

Mikeanaro
03-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Even when I consider Marc a great player there is only a Tim Duncan, but yeah they could play great and even be legit contenders why not.

Richie
03-26-2014, 11:12 PM
The years of being beat up in the paint are already catching up with Tony, so I don't think you can bet on him still being MVParker in a couple years. And why in the world would we sign am old Gasol? wouldn't he be like 33 going into 2015-2016? We need youth to build around after Timmy's gone.

He'll be 30 in the summer of 2015, young enough to offer him something like $65m/4yr and expect him to produce consistently.

Chinook
03-26-2014, 11:13 PM
I don't like Beli as the primary ball-handler of the second unit. I'd hope the team would either draft a legit backup point of use the room exception to sign one. Also, it's going to be hard to keep Beli and Mills while also having the money to get Gasol.

Besides that, it depends on how quick Splitter is defensively and on Leonard and Green being able to supplement Parker's decline. LJC would need to be already viable as a rotation player, and someone else like Bertans would need to step up.

Richie
03-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Whose the coach?

If Gasol signed on, do you think Pop might stay on?

El CaPiTaN809
03-26-2014, 11:19 PM
that indy game is going to be greatness!

Spursfanfromafar
03-26-2014, 11:36 PM
It would be great if Gasol signs on something like a 4 year contract for the Spurs. He would be 30 at the end of 2015 and will be a great partner to Splitter. If Duncan stays for one more year to be some kind of a mentor, I think the Spurs will contend for a championship atleast for a year.

Besides Gasol can come for a little less than someone like Love.

The only issue is Memphis will easily offer Marc Gasol a larger and more lucrative contract. Will take much to pry him away, also considering Memphis is practically hometown for Marc who studied there in high school.

Boomersgold
03-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Whose the coach?
D'Antoni

Leetonidas
03-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Not without MVParker, which he won't be at the end of next season probably

LongtimeSpursFan
03-26-2014, 11:44 PM
I was hoping we'd pick up Kevin Love.

SanDiegoSpursFan
03-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Hell no.

Spur|n|Austin
03-26-2014, 11:50 PM
If Gasol signed on, do you think Pop might stay on?

Its hard to imagine Pop coaching without Tim.

Richie
03-26-2014, 11:50 PM

Honestly I think I'd prefer a two-way player like Gasol over someone like Kevin Love.

Never mind a .500 team, Love has never even lead a team to over .400. The T'Wolves record in his 5 full seasons is 113-297 and have never made the playoffs.

Sean Cagney
03-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Honestly I think I'd prefer a two-way player like Gasol over someone like Kevin Love.

Never mind a .500 team, Love has never even lead a team to over .400. The T'Wolves record in his 5 full seasons is 113-297 and have never made the playoffs.

On this team CORRECT....... I agree fully.

DapDaGenius
03-27-2014, 12:03 AM

That's what I'm hoping for as well. It would be perfect. Manu and Duncan would be gone, so we'd need someone who could score and rebound.

Post-Duncan & Manu(No Kevin Love)....I could see us being able to sit around where the Blazers or Warriors are at right now. I couldn't see any higher than that.

Spursfanfromafar
03-27-2014, 12:08 AM

The thing with Love is that his teams have sucked because of poor team composition. David Kahhhhnnn basically screwed up Minny with some really bad picks and team construction. Their team is basically mediocre in everything and too much burden is placed on Love. If he plays in a well rounded team, Love will be monster.

HI-FI
03-27-2014, 12:15 AM
I'd like either Gasol on the team but don't see Marc leaving Memphis, he's been there forever, which I respect.

Old School 44
03-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Playoff team yes, legit contender probably not. You didn't mention it directly in your OP, but post-Duncan is also post-Ginobili. Combined, that's a lot of experience to replace. I think the Spurs will be a 5-6 seed, similar to the way Portland and Golden State are this year. Capable, yes. Likely, no.

Captivus
03-27-2014, 08:51 AM
If the Spurs dont get a superstar, they would probably qualify for POs but not contend.
Like I said many times, All-Star is not enough.
I want Davis!

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-27-2014, 01:37 PM
No. But they will be a playoff team possibly even be top 5 in the NBA standings. But I do not see the Spurs becoming the current LA Lakers, that is for sure.

Richie
03-27-2014, 03:07 PM
The thing with Love is that his teams have sucked because of poor team composition. David Kahhhhnnn basically screwed up Minny with some really bad picks and team construction. Their team is basically mediocre in everything and too much burden is placed on Love. If he plays in a well rounded team, Love will be monster.

I think if Love was as good as everyone says, he would have lead a team to a .500 record already. For a player who is supposed to be a Top 3 PF in the league to have never even won 40% of his games in a single season is pathetic. I understand the West is stacked so it's tough to make the playoffs, but they've never even been close.

BatManu20
03-27-2014, 03:26 PM
No. And no major FA's are going to come here so tank and build through the draft imo. There's nothing worse than being a middle-of-the-road playoff team who isn't an actual contender. It's NBA purgatory.

Mel_13
03-27-2014, 03:28 PM
"post-Duncan team"

:depressed

Richie
03-27-2014, 03:32 PM
No. And no major FA's are going to come here so tank and build through the draft imo. There's nothing worse than being a middle-of-the-road playoff team who isn't an actual contender. It's NBA purgatory.

I do generally agree, but I don't think we lose much on the court by swapping out 38yo Timmy for prime Marc Gasol. Duncans locker room presence is irreplaceable but if Tony can keep playing at a high level and Kawhi steps up I think that team is a 60-win real contender

dbreiden83080
03-27-2014, 06:20 PM
7 or 8 seed and 1st round exit..

hater
03-27-2014, 06:21 PM
nope

unforeseen
03-27-2014, 08:07 PM
7 or 8 seed and 1st round exit..

+1

chazley
03-27-2014, 10:23 PM
I want Davis!

I'm sure you do. Anthony Davis is the third best player in the league.

Spursfanfromafar
03-28-2014, 12:07 AM
I think if Love was as good as everyone says, he would have lead a team to a .500 record already. For a player who is supposed to be a Top 3 PF in the league to have never even won 40% of his games in a single season is pathetic. I understand the West is stacked so it's tough to make the playoffs, but they've never even been close.

Well...sometimes you should watch some basketball instead of only reading experts or seeing box scores. You will realise the kind of restrictive environment in which Kevin Love is thriving.

Maddog
03-28-2014, 08:19 AM

The honest truth-it's going to be painful for a period of time- who knows maybe a long time.
Big name free agents are not going to come here, further more SA doesn't have the resources to sign big name free agents with the intent of taking a cap hit down the road.

Chinook
04-21-2014, 12:32 PM
What about this team?

Parker/Room exception PG
Green/Bogdanovic
Leonard/Bertans
Aldridge/Diaw
Splitter/FA center

With players like Jean-Charles, Hanga and other draft picks to fill the gaps. I think there's a good chance that such a team would be the second- or third-best team in the West during that time, given that Portland would obviously be done. Really only OKC and Houston would be challengers, unless the Pelicans can get their act together and build properly around Davis.

I feel like Aldridge will leave the Blazers if Portland can't get out of the first round the next two years. I think he's going to start having Lebron syndrome where he becomes disillusioned from having to put up legendary performances just to eek in a game against the fourth seed. I haven't heard talk about him looking for a bigger market, so I think the Spurs would have a real chance to get him if they go after him hard enough. LA is from Texas, played at UT, and he knows the Spurs can build a strong supporting cast around him. I think the situation up in Portland will be a pretty interesting one to watch in the summer. If Aldridge doesn't extend after the playoffs, I think he's gone.

ElNono
04-21-2014, 12:37 PM
What about this team?

Parker/Room exception PG
Green/Bogdanovic
Leonard/Bertans
Aldridge/Diaw
Splitter/FA center

At first sight, no. Too soft inside, no actual defensive anchor in the paint.

jimbo
04-21-2014, 12:54 PM
What about this team?

Parker/Room exception PG
Green/Bogdanovic
Leonard/Bertans
Aldridge/Diaw
Splitter/FA center

With players like Jean-Charles, Hanga and other draft picks to fill the gaps. I think there's a good chance that such a team would be the second- or third-best team in the West during that time, given that Portland would obviously be done. Really only OKC and Houston would be challengers, unless the Pelicans can get their act together and build properly around Davis.

I feel like Aldridge will leave the Blazers if Portland can't get out of the first round the next two years. I think he's going to start having Lebron syndrome where he becomes disillusioned from having to put up legendary performances just to eek in a game against the fourth seed. I haven't heard talk about him looking for a bigger market, so I think the Spurs would have a real chance to get him if they go after him hard enough. LA is from Texas, played at UT, and he knows the Spurs can build a strong supporting cast around him. I think the situation up in Portland will be a pretty interesting one to watch in the summer. If Aldridge doesn't extend after the playoffs, I think he's gone.

Looks like a slightly better version of this year's Blazers. If Pop is still coaching that's a "darkhorse" contender.

Sean Cagney
04-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Watching the game yesterday further proved to me Tim is the best player on the team, without him and a legit replacement no way they are at all a contender.

maverick1948
04-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Love? Davis? M. Gasol? Are you people nuts or do you just dream up something to get your jollies off? L. Aldridge? M. Gortat? Will they come here? Not likely. What free agents would maybe come here that would help replace Duncan. How about Spencer Hawes FA this season.

That's about the extent of 2014 FA in the big department.

Chinook
04-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Love? Davis? M. Gasol? Are you people nuts or do you just dream up something to get your jollies off? L. Aldridge? M. Gortat? Will they come here? Not likely. What free agents would maybe come here that would help replace Duncan. How about Spencer Hawes FA this season.

That's about the extent of 2014 FA in the big department.

We're talking summer 2015 here. 2014 is pretty much blacked out from the Spurs already unless Duncan retires after the playoffs. If that's the case, the team will be in full scramble mode. Gortat and Hawes aren't options since they're FAs this upcoming summer when the Spurs won't have cap space. Davis is a pipe dream that people need to stop having. The others will be interesting to monitor. I'd say Gasol would be the easiest to lure, followed by Bosh, Aldridge and Love in that order.

Baam
04-21-2014, 01:28 PM
If we had signed RoLo we could have had the inside track for BroLo in 2015... My dream post Duncan team could be something like this :

TP
Stephenson
Kawhi
BroLo
RoLo

Bench : Green, Diaw, Livio

Chinook
04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
If we had signed RoLo we could have had the inside track for BroLo in 2015... My dream post Duncan team could be something like this :

TP
Stephenson
Kawhi
BroLo
RoLo

wut

Baam
04-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Stephenson and the Lopez bros...

cjw
04-21-2014, 02:56 PM
We're talking summer 2015 here. 2014 is pretty much blacked out from the Spurs already unless Duncan retires after the playoffs. If that's the case, the team will be in full scramble mode. Gortat and Hawes aren't options since they're FAs this upcoming summer when the Spurs won't have cap space. Davis is a pipe dream that people need to stop having. The others will be interesting to monitor. I'd say Gasol would be the easiest to lure, followed by Bosh, Aldridge and Love in that order.

On top of that, it's not that the team has had the opportunity to attract a max-level guy. Being competitive for 16 straight years will do that to you ... nowhere near max money while keeping the team in tact. Summer of 2015 (assuming Duncan means a couple of more playoff runs = ending after next year) is a different story completely.

xmas1997
04-21-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm sure you do. Anthony Davis is the third best player in the league.

He is?????????????
Then where does LaMarcus Aldridge fit it?

Chinook
04-21-2014, 03:09 PM
He is?????????????
Then where does LaMarcus Aldridge fit it?

Somewhere behind Davis.

Mel_13
04-21-2014, 03:42 PM

TP
Stephenson
Kawhi
BroLo
RoLo

:lmao

So much wrong with this, but I'll settle for the answer to one simple question.

In your alternative reality where the Spurs signed Signed Robin Lopez, how do they still have Diaw?

Malik Hairston
04-21-2014, 04:37 PM
:lmao Lopez frontcourt and Lance Stephenson :lmao..

ElNono
04-21-2014, 04:38 PM
holy shit :lmao

rascal
04-21-2014, 07:08 PM
People take Duncan's greatness for granted. The Spurs are a lottery team the year after Duncan retires.

rascal
04-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Watching the game yesterday further proved to me Tim is the best player on the team, without him and a legit replacement no way they are at all a contender.

If Duncan doesn't come back in they get blown out yesterday.

HemisfairArena
04-21-2014, 07:21 PM
The player I want to replace Timmy is Drummond. He will be looking to leave the shithole that is Detroit and join a class organization like the Spurs.

DPG21920
04-21-2014, 07:35 PM
I like Drummond, but I hope people realize the level of gap between a player like Duncan anchoring your team vs a guy like Drummond.

There is no big, outside of maybe a healthy Anthony Davis, that can really come close (and even that isn't close as of yet at all). There is a massive difference in a Duncan/Dirk and even KG vs the big men today, including Love/Aldridge/Blake. Even this year's Tim is more conducive to winning that those guys. Getting a guy like Drummond is fine, but it's a big, big drop off from anchoring a playoff team let alone a true contender.

HemisfairArena
04-21-2014, 07:56 PM
I like Drummond, but I hope people realize the level of gap between a player like Duncan anchoring your team vs a guy like Drummond.

There is no big, outside of maybe a healthy Anthony Davis, that can really come close (and even that isn't close as of yet at all). There is a massive difference in a Duncan/Dirk and even KG vs the big men today, including Love/Aldridge/Blake. Even this year's Tim is more conducive to winning that those guys. Getting a guy like Drummond is fine, but it's a big, big drop off from anchoring a playoff team let alone a true contender.

That's pure speculation. I respect your opinion but no one knows how great a guy like Drummond or Davis, ect,,,,will be. Duncan was fortunate to get drafted by a great organization with a great starting base. Drummond is already a walking talking double/double machine at age 19 who doesn't even get near the minutes he should. 6'10 and 270,,,,he will be the Shaq of power forwards in his prime. He wont need to do 12-15 foot bank shots of the glass....he's gonna rule the paint

DPG21920
04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
It's a fair point about the situation, but there's a clear gap. Drummond is young, you are correct. Tim came into the league much more seasoned. However, Tim also came into the league much more talented.

Sean Cagney
04-21-2014, 09:28 PM
If Duncan doesn't come back in they get blown out yesterday.

EASILY.

Kidd K
04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
I think Duncan's presence is being underestimated. He can't be replaced that easily, even by the top big men of today.

I'm not saying he's better still necessarily, but our team benefits greatly from his skills and leadership.

dg7md
04-22-2014, 07:07 AM
People take Duncan's greatness for granted. The Spurs are a lottery team the year after Duncan retires.

Lottery? Debatable. I still think we'd make the playoffs in the lower tier of the West without Duncan. Teams have a lot worse rosters than we do.

Captivus
04-22-2014, 12:58 PM
In order to be a contender you a superstar, not even an All-Star.
The Spurs should go after Davis and if they dont get him, then they make sure someone else is paying him big money.
Duncan is not easy to replace.
I like Drummond, but he is no Davis.
Love looks good too.

But remember this, if the Spurs dont get any of those 3 (or maybe LMA, Gasol), then the Spurs wont contend. Thats a reality.
Is it bad? Well...most teams do exactly that, they dont contend.

Richie
04-22-2014, 02:00 PM
In order to be a contender you a superstar, not even an All-Star.
The Spurs should go after Davis and if they dont get him, then they make sure someone else is paying him big money.
Duncan is not easy to replace.
I like Drummond, but he is no Davis.
Love looks good too.

But remember this, if the Spurs dont get any of those 3 (or maybe LMA, Gasol), then the Spurs wont contend. Thats a reality.
Is it bad? Well...most teams do exactly that, they dont contend.

Why is anyone even mentioning Davis and Drummond? Neither is getting traded and they won't be free agents for another 7 years.

Richie
04-22-2014, 02:08 PM
What about this team?

Parker/Room exception PG
Green/Bogdanovic
Leonard/Bertans
Aldridge/Diaw
Splitter/FA center

Before last year I'd agree with you, but there's no way Aldridge is leaving Lillard. If lillard doesn't get drafted I think its guaranteed Aldridge leaves, now I don't think there's any chance whatsoever.

BatManu20
04-22-2014, 02:12 PM
"Just sign Anthony Davis or Marc Gasol and we'll be alright" :lol

What, in the Spurs history, have you seen that would make you think any of these are even realistic possibilities? Has any marquee FA ever signed with the Spurs? There's a reason we've built our team through the draft and signing cast offs from other teams.

HemisfairArena
04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Why is anyone even mentioning Davis and Drummond? Neither is getting traded and they won't be free agents for another 7 years.

Both will be unrestricted free agents in 3 years after 2016/2017,,,and if Detroit and New Orleans continue to be shitholes they will leave.

BatManu20
04-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Both will be unrestricted free agents in 3 years after 2016/2017,,,and if Detroit and New Orleans continue to be shitholes they will leave.

If their team is still not anywhere near contending for a ship in 3 years then yes, they will leave. But they win't be coming to San Antonio, that's for sure. Duncan, Manu, and likely Pop will be gone by then. It will be a new era of Spurs basketball, one that I, for one, do not look forward to.

illusioNtEk
04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Parker / Mills
Green / Beli
Lenord / Green / Beli
Diaw / Splitter
Hibbert / Splitter / Diaw

Richie
04-22-2014, 03:50 PM
If their team is still not anywhere near contending for a ship in 3 years then yes, they will leave. But they win't be coming to San Antonio, that's for sure. Duncan, Manu, and likely Pop will be gone by then. It will be a new era of Spurs basketball, one that I, for one, do not look forward to.

No they won't leave. Even if they sign max offer sheets, their respective teams will match immediately.

Neither will risk leaving $80m on the table and play the extra year to reach unrestricted free agency.

Richie
04-22-2014, 03:51 PM

They're both getting extended in their restricted free agency year by either signing directly with their current team or their team matching whatever offer sheer they sign. Neither is leaving for a long time.

Richie
04-22-2014, 04:02 PM
"Just sign Anthony Davis or Marc Gasol and we'll be alright" :lol

What, in the Spurs history, have you seen that would make you think any of these are even realistic possibilities? Has any marquee FA ever signed with the Spurs? There's a reason we've built our team through the draft and signing cast offs from other teams.

If Gasol chooses to leave, I see San Antonio as a realistic destination. The only time in the Duncan era we've had room to add a major free agent was 03 with Kidd.

Money talks, look at All Jefferson signing in Charlotte, especially with the incredibly punitive luxury tax in the current CBA. With Love, Rondo, Chandler and Aldridge unrestricted, as well as Melo if he doesnt opt out this year and Lebron and Bosh having player options, the 2015 free agent class is already stacked and could get stronger depending on what the Heat do. A 30 year old Gasol won't be top of the major market wish lists.