PDA

View Full Version : Rest starters the rest of the way?

Gummi Clutch
03-27-2014, 12:02 AM
As easy as its been getting the #1 seed with all these injuries this year, I think that instead of being shortsighted we should just rest the starters. Hell, we could drop to the 2nd seed and it wouldn't matter.

HI-FI
03-27-2014, 12:06 AM
i had thought about making a similar thread but I'll just add to this.....

how important is health vs seeding this year? Since the whistle was apparently invented in OKC, is HCA almost a must?

how much rest is optimal before it starts to disrupt rhythm and become disadvantageous?

El CaPiTaN809
03-27-2014, 12:07 AM
hell naw !! lets go on a 20 something game win streak & snatch the title with some noise! that outta teach people not to doubt the spurs

Horry Hipcheck
03-27-2014, 03:34 AM
Pop has been noticeably less concerned with resting starters lately, and therefore far more concerned with fine tuning the playoff machine and securing that top seed. It's unlike his staff to care about it, but I think they know that there's a good chance the Spurs will meet the Rockets and Thunder in the West, and IF they can get through them, they're likely to find Miami in the Finals. With all four rounds being a 2-2-1-1-1 format this time, having four out of seven potential games at home and a guaranteed Game 7 at home is probably worth a decent effort, considering how rapidly the title window is closing.

Staplepuffs27
03-27-2014, 04:12 AM
No, this team needs to be fine tuned and on the same page for the playoffs.

mudyez
03-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Yeah, it could very well be a tough first round series (not like last year) and we won't have like one or two rounds just to heat up.

That said: Pop might sit Timmy, Manu and maybe others from time to time (or play them only a few minutes if it becomes a blowout early), but there is no reason to not go for the 1spot.

Legacy
03-27-2014, 06:10 AM
No. The Spurs need to stay in a good rhythm for the playoffs. Pop will (hopefully) only rest starters when appropriate.

Legacy
03-27-2014, 06:20 AM
And also... as I mentioned downstairs:

NEVER take the "bottomfeeders" for granted. They have absolutely nothing to lose unlike the playoff teams do. These teams are pretty much playing just for fun with no pressure at all... they can fuck up any playoff team's chances just for the Hell of it. I see it every year.

ceperez
03-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Rest Manu.... there's is no value in him playing against bad teams. You can tell he's completely out of sync. Nuggets were able to rally because Manu kept making bad plays on top of bad plays.

03-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Or we could go undefeated the rest of the season/playoffs

letmk
03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
As easy as its been getting the #1 seed with all these injuries this year, I think that instead of being shortsighted we should just rest the starters. Hell, we could drop to the 2nd seed and it wouldn't matter.

Health > seeding. Everyone agrees with this. However, resting does not mean health. More often than not, injury just happens rather than being caused by fatigue. Resting older players like Timmy on B2B games makes sense, but there is no evidence that going "easy" the rest of the way would help preventing injuries.

Sixth Street
03-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Trust Pop on this one. He handles this question as good as any coach ever has. My personal opinion is that HCA is extremely overrated, especially as far as the Spurs are concerned. HCA only matters in a game 7. Prior to a game 7, which the majority of series never make it to any way, the road team has an advantage. I prefer opening a series on the road with a chance to steal one, to having HCA and feeling the pressure of needing to win games 1 and 2.

TampaDude
03-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Gotta have HCA if we want to beat the Heat or Pacers in the Finals.

Sixth Street
03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Gotta have HCA if we want to beat the Heat or Pacers in the Finals.

Having HCA over the Heat/Pacers is a virtual certainty at this point. But I would quibble with you on the necessity of having HCA in the Finals. Game 6 would be played in SA this time around.

Sean Cagney
03-27-2014, 01:13 PM
No, this team needs to be fine tuned and on the same page for the playoffs.

Trust Pop on this one. He handles this question as good as any coach ever has. My personal opinion is that HCA is extremely overrated, especially as far as the Spurs are concerned. HCA only matters in a game 7. Prior to a game 7, which the majority of series never make it to any way, the road team has an advantage. I prefer opening a series on the road with a chance to steal one, to having HCA and feeling the pressure of needing to win games 1 and 2.
Everytime we won the finals we had HC so that can go both ways. Last year they almost stole that one in 6, when it got to 7 we had a little shot IMO but not much. With the 2-3-2 being gone now though it gets more interesting IMO.

Arcadian
03-27-2014, 01:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guv5LUT1AFw

bklynspursfan
03-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Duncan should probably not make the trip to Denver. He played a lot of minutes, then he can play against Anthony Davis & the Pelicans Saturday. I'd imagine Manu will sit 1 of the 2 games.

PÒÓCH
03-27-2014, 11:28 PM
Yes send them on vacation to Cozumel.

Russo21
03-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Umm wouldn't it have been nice to have game 6 and 7 in San Antonio last finals? Keep they number 1 seed at all costs. We have a pretty good buffer, 3 games ahead of OKC, 4 ahead of Indiana and 6 ahead of Miami so we should be ok either way. But you don't wanna fuck up the just about guaranteed number 1 seed and guaranteed home court with 11 games left by resting the big guys the rest of the way. 3 or 4 straight losses and boom indy and okc have homecourt against us. Keep them playing to keep everyone in-sync, just don't give them too many minutes.

xellos88330
03-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Gotta make sure that they are healthy, conditioned, and in rhythm heading into the playoffs. You can't do that by resting them. They need to keep playing reduced minutes, not sitting altogether.

Gummi Clutch
03-28-2014, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the responses, it seems that they are pretty unanimous in one direction, I just never thought rhythm would be that important for this team considering that they have always executed despite the pitfalls they were dealt throughout the season.

i had thought about making a similar thread but I'll just add to this.....

how important is health vs seeding this year? Since the whistle was apparently invented in OKC, is HCA almost a must?

how much rest is optimal before it starts to disrupt rhythm and become disadvantageous?
I think Health >>> Seeding tbh but if we are managing minutes at an optimum level then having everybody in rhythm can only help things. Regarding OKC, call me crazy, but I think that even the thundereffs won't be able to change what they having coming. Remember that it was Harden (a prominent Spur killer) who helped push them over the edge when we met them in the playoffs. Also , with the chimp out of control they won't be executing seamlessly like a team has to in the playoffs.

Kidd K
03-28-2014, 02:07 AM
No, we need HCA in the Finals and against OKC

Fireball
03-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Having HCA over the Heat/Pacers is a virtual certainty at this point. But I would quibble with you on the necessity of having HCA in the Finals. Game 6 would be played in SA this time around. We have tough games in front of us, its does not take much to lose HCA over these teams if we rest all starters. Pop would never rest all starters, but replying to the OP I do not think we have the #1 seed locked up and cannot rest them all the way.

urunobili
03-28-2014, 08:39 AM
After seeding fight is over some of them require rest yes.

03-28-2014, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Timmy and Manu don't play tonight and then Tony and Tiago are out for the Pelicans.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Timmy, Tony and Manu all sit against OKC since it's the second of a back-to-back and the games on TNT.

therealtruth
03-28-2014, 10:44 PM
If it's the last game of the season and we're playing Phoenix it might be a good idea to rest Manu.

007nites
03-29-2014, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Pop sits out Timmy in the first round of the playoffs.

gee
03-29-2014, 07:57 AM
If it's the last game of the season and we're playing Phoenix it might be a good idea to rest Manu.

still too soon man...

moisaenz
03-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Not rest, but I would expect the bench to play more minutes these last few games of the season and into the first round.