PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio back in mix for Tesla 'gigafactory' after secret meeting

elbamba
03-27-2014, 12:44 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/San-Antonio-back-in-mix-for-Tesla-gigafactory-5354127.php

I was driving home yesterday and saw a Tesla in front of me. The car looked really nice. It would be great to get the 6500 jobs here.

boutons_deux
03-27-2014, 12:52 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223944&p=7210639&viewfull=1#post7210639

SnakeBoy
03-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Just another example of repugs collaborating with their corporate capitalist masters to enslave human americans into dead end jobs while the repug corporate capitalists line their pockets off of the labor of human americans.

DarrinS
03-27-2014, 02:00 PM
cool

elbamba
03-27-2014, 02:07 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223944&p=7210639&viewfull=1#post7210639

Gee, with a title to the thread like that I don't know how I missed it.

DarrinS
03-27-2014, 02:15 PM

:lol

boutons_deux
03-27-2014, 03:04 PM

the new post put it at the top of the threads page, click on it and forum takes you to the last page of the thread.

DarrinS
03-27-2014, 03:14 PM
the new post put it at the top of the threads page, click on it and forum takes you to the last page of the thread.

Finding something of value in your threads is a like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur11CEU-kS8

baseline bum
03-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Why would they come here when they can't even sell their cars here?

baseline bum
03-27-2014, 03:25 PM
They should really go to New Mexico where they're allowed to sell.

boutons_deux
03-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Why would they come here when they can't even sell their cars here?

see the quote in the TX Tribune article, says RickyBobby says auto dealer cartel rules are antiquated.

baseline bum
03-27-2014, 04:01 PM
see the quote in the TX Tribune article, says RickyBobby says auto dealer cartel rules are antiquated.

He's just saying that shit to trick them into coming here.

boutons_deux
03-27-2014, 04:03 PM
He's just saying that shit to trick them into coming here.

he thinks if Tesla comes to TX, he will be elected business-friendly president

baseline bum
03-27-2014, 04:29 PM
LOL Perry saying that shit when the Texas legislature won't meet again until January, at which point Perry will be leaving office anyways.

pgardn
03-29-2014, 07:45 AM
Just another example of repugs collaborating with their corporate capitalist masters to enslave human americans into dead end jobs while the repug corporate capitalists line their pockets off of the labor of human americans.

Human Americans.

I wonder how many other species have nationalities... anyways

I will have me one of those machines, it is my destiny.

boutons_deux
03-29-2014, 08:45 AM
I wonder how many other species have nationalities

other species don't have fucked up bullshit like a perverted, corrupt legal system that classifies corporations as exceptionally privileged, immortal, un-jail-able members of the species.

Bito Corleone
03-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Is the whole "can't sell them in Texas" thing legit? There's a dealership up here in Austin, although I guess the "dealership" is really more of an order center. But still, it's not uncommon to see a Tesla on the road here at all. A friend of mine that does battery procurement for Dell is already in preliminary talks to go work for them if the "gigafactory" does end up coming to Texas.

boutons_deux
03-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Texas' political winds blowing against Tesla's business model

As one of the state's biggest auto dealers, McCombs has a dog in this fight, and he's a big-time Perry supporter. Just since 2008, he's written checks totaling at least $302,500 to Perry's gubernatorial and presidential campaigns.

So the question about calling Perry didn't seem weird. But it did turn out to be awkward, for me anyway.

A couple of long seconds of silence on McCombs' end of the phone line.

Then the 86-year-old answered in a low rumble: “No ... Why would I?”

In other words, he saw no need. In fact, earlier in the interview, McCombs had talked about the franchise law as immutable.

“That is as set in stone as it can be,” he said. “It's as sacred as Paul's letter to the Corinthians.”
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/business_columnists/greg_jefferson/article/Texas-political-winds-blowing-against-Tesla-s-5339130.php

boutons_deux
03-29-2014, 08:06 PM
any time one hears "free market", you know consumers getting screwed.

TX dealers want to protect their customers? :lol

boutons_deux
08-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Nevada, not Texas, gets first nod from Tesla

Texas didn’t make the first cut for Tesla’s huge battery factory and its 6,500 jobs, as the electric car company on Thursday disclosed that it had begun clearing ground in June near Reno as a “potential” site.

Despite Nevada’s frontrunner status, Tesla officials say sites in Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico remain in the running for a 10-million square-foot facility dubbed the “gigafactory.” Tesla wants the potentially $5 billion factory to supply batteries for its Model 3 electric car, which is set to go on sale in 2017.

“We’ve essentially completed the construction pad for the gigafactory in Nevada,” Tesla founder Elon Musk told analysts Thursday. “We will be doing something similar in a couple more states.”

Musk said the company wouldn’t be pouring concrete until it has made a final site selection in a few months, based on the incentives and regulatory hurdles that are cleared for the massive project.

Tuscon, for example, has just given Tesla a $3 billion building permit, according to the Arizona Daily Star.

In California, where the electric car is assembled, state lawmakers have been passing property tax breaks and considering other incentives that would encourage Tesla to expand there.

“Tesla was born in California and currently employs over 6,000 people making them the largest automotive company in the state,” said Brook Taylor, a spokesman in the governor’s office. “The administration is working every day help companies expand in California and Tesla is certainly one of those companies.”

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who has been leading the state’s efforts to land the factory, didn’t comment on the selection of Reno. His staff referred questions to the car company.

Texas has a good business climate and incentives — from the deal-closing fund, the Texas Enterprise Fund, to potential property tax breaks — in place for companies to relocate here.

But the state could be at a bit of a disadvantage.

The Texas Legislature doesn’t convene in January, after Tesla is expected to make its decision, so lawmakers can’t offer new incentives.

And unlike its competitors, Texas’ economic development efforts are more locally driven.

Speculation of where Tesla might locate a factory in Texas has included San Antonio, San Marcos, Hutto and, most recently, Dallas.

Nevada, however, has always been seen as the frontrunner by many analysts.

John Boyd Jr., a New Jersey-based site consultant, went a step further Thursday.

“I think this will be the final gigafactory,” he said.

Boyd said Reno enjoys direct rail access to Tesla’s assembly plant in Fremont, Calif., plus Nevada has no corporate income tax and is a right-to-work state.

“We think that Reno will be the one,” he said.

Also Thursday, Tesla and its battery supplier, Panasonic Corp., announced that they will collaborate on the battery factory. Tesla will build the facility and Panasonic will make the batteries.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/business/nevada-not-texas-gets-first-nod-from-tesla/ngr3C/#b5e0bf0f.3580657.735445

boutons_deux
09-03-2014, 04:03 PM
WSJ: gigafactory to be in NV, near Reno

TeyshaBlue
09-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Be interesting to see if the legislature approves the $400+million in tax breaks.