PDA

View Full Version : Russian Submariners...

Clandestino
08-06-2005, 10:01 AM
What do you think? Will they be saved?

spurschick
08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
There are so many conflicting reports as to how much oxygen they have left. I was completely freaked out when the Kursk disaster happened.

David Bowie
08-06-2005, 11:33 AM
OMG, I did not know that was happening! I was rather dissapointed with the way Russia treated the situation last time. So, I am rather worried about the current situation.

Solid D
08-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I certainly hope they can get them out of there in time.

*Side note:
If they get out alive, they probably didn't have any secret/classified information in there.

spurschick
08-06-2005, 02:34 PM
From new info I heard, they have enough oxygen to get them through til Monday, which is more than enough time to get them out. I also heard that someone had talked to the guys inside and that they were all okay and knew how to conserve the oxygen.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-06-2005, 04:51 PM
the US will save these poor guys and get no credit for doing so......such is the USA.
oh give me a break! the rescue mission involves British, Japanese, American, and Russian forces. In fact, it is headed by the Russians. I applaud the US for getting involved, I think its the right thing to do, given that there is little time and any help is welcome, but this is an international effort, so don't come here and try to make this into a "how unapreciated the US is" shit.

AlamoSpursFan
08-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Where's Jack Ryan when you need him?

MannyIsGod
08-06-2005, 06:59 PM
If you perform deeds for the appreciation you deserve not to get it.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-06-2005, 07:07 PM
If you perform deeds for the appreciation you deserve not to get it.
amen

The sone
08-06-2005, 07:55 PM
the US will save these poor guys and get no credit for doing so......such is the USA.

maybe after they're saved they will buy the rescuers some hotwings and brew. im sure that the teams that are risking their live only do it for recognition...otherwise what would be the point, right? :shootme

go team usa!!

samikeyp
08-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Its all about helping out someone who needs it. Nothing wrong with that.

cmc$purs
08-06-2005, 11:48 PM
PETROPAVLOVSK-KAMCHATSKY, Russia - Seven submarine crew members trapped for nearly three days under the Pacific Ocean were rescued Sunday after a British remote-controlled vehicle cut away the undersea cables that had snarled the vessel.

ADVERTISEMENT

WM
WM

The seven crew members, whose oxygen supplies had been dwindling amid underwater temperatures in the mid-40s, appeared to be in satisfactory condition, naval spokesman Capt. Igor Dygalo said. The seven were being examined by ship medics, he said.

The sub surfaced late Sunday afternoon, some three days after becoming stranded in 600 feet of water off the Pacific Coast on Thursday.

"The rescue operation has ended," Rear Adm. Vladimir Pepelyayev, deputy head of the navy's general staff, said in televised comments.

Russian authorities had hoped that the British unmanned submersible could help free the sub and avoid losing a sub crew as they did with the Kursk nuclear submarine, which sank almost exactly five years ago, killing all 118 aboard.

In sharp contrast to the August 2000 Kursk disaster, when authorities held off asking for help until hope was nearly exhausted, Russian military officials quickly sought help from U.S. and British authorities.

Earlier Sunday, a British remote-controlled Super Scorpio cut away the cables that had snarled the vessel in Beryozovaya Bay, about 10 miles off the east coast of the Kamchatka peninsula.

The United States also dispatched a crew and three underwater vehicles to Kamchatka, but they never left the port.

Officials said the Russian submarine was participating in a combat training exercise and got snarled on an underwater antenna assembly that is part of a coastal monitoring system. The system is anchored with a weight of about 66 tons, according to news reports.

Russia's cash-strapped navy apparently lacks rescue vehicles capable of operating at the depth where the sub was stranded, and officials say it was too deep for divers to reach or the crew to swim out on their own. An earlier attempt to drag the vessel to shallower waters failed when cables detached after pulling it some 65 yards.

By early Sunday, President Vladimir Putin had made no public comment on the latest sinking, but Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov had traveled to the site of the rescue operation.

The new crisis has been highly embarrassing for Russia, which will hold an unprecedented joint military exercise with China later this month, including the use of submarines to settle an imaginary conflict in a foreign land. In the exercise, Russia is to field a naval squadron and 17 long-haul aircraft.

good news for those sailors

sucks for USA we wont get much credit for not leaving port :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
08-07-2005, 12:13 AM
good news for those sailors

sucks for USA we wont get much credit for not leaving port :lol
I don't think the US is going to get criticism either. i mean the intention was there.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-07-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm sure Chirac will blame us for something, and Hillary will probably come out and criticize Bush for wasting tax payer money sending the rescue stuff to Russia.

;)

Jelly
08-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Nice to end the day with happy news.