PDA

View Full Version : Marshall -- A lot like Horry, but without rings

Kori Ellis
08-06-2005, 11:36 AM
A lot like Horry, but without rings
BOB FINNAN, Morning Journal Writer
08/06/2005

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14990113&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

CLEVELAND -- Spurs power forward Robert Horry is the only active player in the NBA with five championship rings.

Conversely, Donyell Marshall has appeared in only nine playoff games in his 11-year career.

But the Cavaliers hope Marshall has some of the same qualities as Horry, most notably the ability to hit big shots with the game on the line.

Marshall, who signed a four-year, $22 million deal with the Cavaliers on Thursday, hopes his playoff drought can be extinguished in Cleveland.

Horry, who has appeared in 198 career playoff games, helped San Antonio to an NBA crown last June.

''He's not necessarily one of the best names out there, but I think he's one of the top five playoff performers of all-time,'' Marshall said. ''When his team needs that shot, he always hits it. Hopefully, I can do the same thing. Hopefully, I can take the same shots Robert Horry has taken.''

Even though they are roughly the same size and age and play identical positions, Marshall's numbers are far superior.

The 6-foot-9, 230-pound Marshall, 32, has averaged 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in his career. The 6-10, 240-pound Horry, 34, has averaged 7.5 points and 5.0 rebounds. But it's Horry who has the better reputation because of his performance on the big stage.

''I hope Donyell can be that and more,'' agent Andy Miller said. ''Donyell brings even more to the table. I don't want to knock Robert Horry. I have high expectations for Donyell. Robert has grabbed his niche, but Donyell can do that and more.

''Donyell has achieved a lot in his career, even though it wasn't on the big platform. That's been recognized.''

Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry said Marshall was needed on the roster.

''Look at the best teams in the NBA and they have a quality big guy -- Robert Horry in San Antonio, Rasheed Wallace in Detroit,'' he said. ''(We needed) a big guy who can stretch the court and can be dangerous from those areas.''

Marshall said he chose the Cavaliers over Washington last month.

''I've only been to the playoffs twice, with Utah,'' he said. ''I haven't been in great situations. That's one of the reasons I came here.

''It came down to here and Washington. Once Larry (Hughes) left Washington, I didn't think they had as good a chance.''

Besides the chance to play alongside LeBron James, there was another factor.

''Once they re-signed (center Zydrunas Ilgauskas) and I knew they had a legit center -- where I didn't have to be stuck down on the low post -- it made it a perfect fit for me,'' Marshall said.

Despite being 6-9, he filled the backup center role with the Raptors last season.

''He can play the Ô5' position,'' Miller said. ''I don't think he'd be averse to playing the Ô5,' but he doesn't want to do it in an exclusive fashion.''

Former Cavaliers GM Jim Paxson tried to pry Marshall away from the Raptors last February at the trade deadline. Despite knowing they weren't going to keep Marshall in free agency, Raptors management refused to budge.

''Last year around the trade deadline, my name was linked here,'' he said. ''I wanted to come here then.

''I think we can make a lot of noise. I want to help this team get into the playoffs and go as far as we can.''

He can't wait to get on the court with James, who will be entering his third season in the league.

''He's definitely going to be one of the greatest players to ever play this game,'' Marshall said. ''We're here to help him. We're here to make it easier on him.''

Jimcs50
08-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Horry has 6 rings, not 5.

thispego
08-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Cavs are gonna be really good next year

hughes' stifling D and Lebrons killer O is gonna be deadly

ace3g
08-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I think the article meant to say "horry is the only player in the league with 5 rings or more"

Brutalis
08-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Marshall is too slow, has zero quickness and thats what's been holding him back.

If he would just get in shape he could be getting max deals from ignorant teams too! Haha.

Taking it to the Hole
08-06-2005, 01:35 PM
My prediction is that Cleveland gets knocked out in the second round by either Indiana, Miami or possibly Detroit. They will be good, but not great. They have some of the pieces to be great, but they are going to need time and experience to grow accustomed to each other's games and usually that takes a whole season to do. By the time the playoffs roll around, your going to have to take your team to a different level. I'm still not sure LeBron can do that.