PDA

View Full Version : PtR: Spurs' decision to re-sign Tiago Splitter is paying off

Dex
03-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Good article at Pounding the Rock.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/3/28/5549218/r-c-buford-decision-re-sign-tiago-splitter-cap-space

This ability that Freeman refers to shines through in the San Antonio system's fluidity. It's a contributing factor as to why, during this unprecedented 15-game winning streak, the Spurs have been 21.0 points per 100 possessions better off with Splitter on the floor. That's absurd. With the Brazilian on hand, San Antonio has blitzed opponents by a margin that is the best of any starter, and one point per 100 possessions better than the next player on the list (Danny Green). It's a level of defensive diligence, understanding, and execution that won't always be recorded, either.

Now imagine if Tiago could just learn to finish strong around the basket. :wow

Mel_13
03-31-2014, 10:22 AM
cue the idiots with the clever T-Vag takes...

FromWayDowntown
03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
There's no way that this could be right. Tiago is terrible.

03-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Dude's a pussyPERIOD

but he's the best defensive big in the league imo

SpurYank
03-31-2014, 10:44 AM
This is for FromWayDowntown: Jesus Christ would not satisfy you, and he is perfect. No one else is, and is a well known fact. Mickey Mantle won the triple crown and had a lot to do with all the World Series wins the Yankees enjoyed. Yet he struck out the equivalent of 2 years of at-bats.

This is the main problem with many Spurs fans who post here. Because the Spurs don't go 82 and 0, there must be something wrong with the team. Of course, Splitter is one of the causes of why we ONLY win 50 plus games a year for x number of seasons. And this is un-paralleled.

playbonner15
03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
TVag is #2 in Ddefensive rating per NBA.com
Source:
http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerGeneral.html?ls=iref%3Anba%3Agnav&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&columnOrder=&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=PerGame&sortField=DEF_RATING&sortOrder=ASC&filters=MIN*GE*20**GP*GE*40

look_at_g_shred
03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
I never had a problem with the re-sign.

AFBlue
03-31-2014, 10:54 AM
He's absolutely valuable, except against the two hyper-athletic small ball contenders that the Spurs will likely have to go through to win the championship. They had to pay him because they're much worse off without him. But that doesn't mean he isn't totally marginalized in key matchups against the Thunder and Heat.

FromWayDowntown
03-31-2014, 10:55 AM
This is for FromWayDowntown: Jesus Christ would not satisfy you, and he is perfect. No one else is, and is a well known fact. Mickey Mantle won the triple crown and had a lot to do with all the World Series wins the Yankees enjoyed. Yet he struck out the equivalent of 2 years of at-bats.

This is the main problem with many Spurs fans who post here. Because the Spurs don't go 82 and 0, there must be something wrong with the team. Of course, Splitter is one of the causes of why we ONLY win 50 plus games a year for x number of seasons. And this is un-paralleled.

It's a long-standing SpursTalk custom that blue text connotes sarcasm.

Dex
03-31-2014, 10:56 AM

Somebody doesn't understand the blue font.

Dex
03-31-2014, 11:04 AM
He's absolutely valuable, except against the two hyper-athletic small ball contenders that the Spurs will likely have to go through to win the championship. They had to pay him because they're much worse off without him. But that doesn't mean he isn't totally marginalized in key matchups against the Thunder and Heat.

While it's true that Splitter is a bad match-up against the two teams that are likely the Spurs biggest contenders, the team still needs Tiago's presence and contributions to put themselves back in the position to face those foes. Without Splitter, this team surely would not be sitting 3 games ahead of OKC and on the cusp of wrapping up the Division title in early April. Even if Tiago is only effective against the remaining 90% of the league, it's that domination that could earn the Spurs HCA against OKC or Miami, and no Spurs fan will deny the importance of that after last year's Finals.

The Spurs also appeared to recognize that Splitter would be marginalized, which is why they've put a lot of focus on their small-ball rotations (signing Beli and Ayres, running more offense for Diaw, picking up Daye at the deadline).

Chinook
03-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Not a huge fan of PtR, but I obviously agree with them. Tiago's big time.

freetiago
03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
Splitter isnt bad vs OKC or Miami tbh..
he just didnt play well
hes had a lot of sucess vs those 2 teams in the regular season so we know hes capable of it
his best game of his career came vs OKC in a game that Parker wasn't playing in either to set him up

his defense is especially needed vs OKC since Tim cant guard anything right now but the rim
hes getting abused by every big center and obviously gets torched on the perimeter since he doesnt have any foot speed

benefactor
03-31-2014, 11:50 AM
He sets the defensive tone.

Old School 44
03-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Force feed him at the beginning of the game, get him his 10 and it's over! The best reverse layup in basketball!

ABC
03-31-2014, 12:18 PM
Logical fallacy. Probably a masked man fallacy.

Shastafarian
03-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Logical fallacy. Probably a masked man fallacy.

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ad-indiantakers-fallacy-4.gif

Spurs9
03-31-2014, 12:29 PM
He has really improved this year, I used to hate him the last 2 years but hes turned it around this year.

timtonymanu
03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Definitely an underrated player on the Spurs. He can be frustrating to watch, but he's one of the reasons the Spurs became title contenders again.

Harry Callahan
03-31-2014, 02:53 PM
Meanwhile, Splitter's predecessor (Blair) is having a hard time getting minutes in Dallas. Why? Because of his lack of defense abilities.

Tiago is a valuble guy for this team. He may not be as good a fit in other places.

The Spurs are better at getting stops now then they were three years ago or so. Green, Leonard, and Splitter have a lot to do with that......

hater
03-31-2014, 03:09 PM
one of the most talented bigs in the game imo. Also one of the least athletic and one of the weakest.

his passing has been superb and a top 5 reason for this winning streak (which means nothing)

He's always been good, this myth that 'he got better' is nothing but a myth. He's easily the 4th most important player in the team after TP, Duncan and Kawhi

ABC
03-31-2014, 03:11 PM

:lol

Gino-Step
03-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Good article at Pounding the Rock.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/3/28/5549218/r-c-buford-decision-re-sign-tiago-splitter-cap-space

Now imagine if Tiago could just learn to finish strong around the basket. :wow

Tiago > Duncan for this year's team. I want to see a closing lineup of Manu Green Leonard Diaw Tiago. Belli if he's hot.

r0drig0lac
03-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Force feed him at the beginning of the game, get him his 10 and it's over! The best reverse layup in basketball!this http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/toast.gif

Dex
03-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Tiago > Duncan for this year's team. I want to see a closing lineup of Manu Green Leonard Diaw Tiago. Belli if he's hot.

Dammit, Pop, did 6 teach you nothing?

Aztecfan03
03-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Dammit, Pop, did 6 teach you nothing?

That guy isn't Pop. If he was Parker and Mills wouldn't get any playing time at all. (btw i know you were kidding)

heyheymymy
03-31-2014, 07:49 PM

bwahaahahahaha

Darius McCrary
03-31-2014, 07:52 PM
I like Tiago, but still think he's soft. I still don't trust him against OKC or MIA.

But I like that he's on our team. I just worry that the FO paid him too much money and won't be able to re-sign Kawhi.

therealtruth
03-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Meanwhile, Splitter's predecessor (Blair) is having a hard time getting minutes in Dallas. Why? Because of his lack of defense abilities.

Tiago is a valuble guy for this team. He may not be as good a fit in other places.

The Spurs are better at getting stops now then they were three years ago or so. Green, Leonard, and Splitter have a lot to do with that......

Pretty much the reason the team has a chance has been Green, Leonard, and Splitter. We've replaced offensively minded inconsistent players with better defensive players.

therealtruth
03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
I think Splitter is a touchstone for being able to identify people who know basketball and people who don't. Like the eye test. People who know basketball wouldn't need stats to know that Tiago has been a huge defensive upgrade.

Dex
03-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Pretty much the reason the team has a chance has been Green, Leonard, and Splitter. We've replaced offensively minded inconsistent players with better defensive players.

Funny how when you do that, the defense....wait for it...improves!

I know part of it was just taking what you could get, but some of the FO decisions from 2008-2010 definitely seemed to be coming out of Pop's wine cellar.

SanDiegoSpursFan
03-31-2014, 08:37 PM
He's the best big defender on the team. Not as good as Duncan at protecting the rim or as good as Diaw in defending the PnR, but he does both at a near-elite level for a big man imo.

DrunkTXLabrat
03-31-2014, 09:18 PM

I agree. Also, i like the Splitter/Parker pick and roll.

AFBlue
03-31-2014, 09:28 PM
While it's true that Splitter is a bad match-up against the two teams that are likely the Spurs biggest contenders, the team still needs Tiago's presence and contributions to put themselves back in the position to face those foes. Without Splitter, this team surely would not be sitting 3 games ahead of OKC and on the cusp of wrapping up the Division title in early April. Even if Tiago is only effective against the remaining 90% of the league, it's that domination that could earn the Spurs HCA against OKC or Miami, and no Spurs fan will deny the importance of that after last year's Finals.

The Spurs also appeared to recognize that Splitter would be marginalized, which is why they've put a lot of focus on their small-ball rotations (signing Beli and Ayres, running more offense for Diaw, picking up Daye at the deadline).

Agree with this post completely. I'm glad Diaw has stepped up his game, and I'm glad the Spurs have greater small ball depth. I didn't think Splitter was the best option at the time, but even then I understood his value. Glad to see he's playing well in his role.

SpurPadre
03-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Tiago is obviously a vital part of the team. That being said, Pop should still start Diaw over him should we reach the Finals again and face the Heat.

pgardn
03-31-2014, 10:02 PM
7 foot guys with his agility are rare.

He can't jump, he is a poor finisher, but the guy is as mobile as any 7 footer in the league.
And he is better each year. He will be vital again against teams like Memphis and the Clippers if we meet them.