PDA

View Full Version : LOL all "investors": Stock market is rigged after all

cheguevara
03-31-2014, 03:36 PM
:lmao mom and pop investing their lifesaving into the good ol USA stock market

shit is rigged son :lmao :lmao

US stock market is rigged by high-speed traders, says Michael Lewis

The US stock market is rigged in favour of high-speed electronic trading firms, which use their advantages to extract billions from investors, according to the acclaimed author Michael Lewis.

In his new book Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt, Lewis says that firms are using their speed advantage to profit at the expense of other market participants to the tune of tens of billions of dollars.

"They are able to identify your desire to buy shares in Microsoft and buy them in front of you and sell them back to you at a higher price," Lewis, whose book is available on Monday, said on the television program 60 Minutes on Sunday.

"This speed advantage that the faster traders have is milliseconds, some of it is fractions of milliseconds," said Lewis, whose books include The Big Short and Moneyball.

High-frequency trading (HFT) is a practice carried out by many banks and proprietary trading firms using sophisticated computer programs to send thousands of orders into the market in an instant, executing a small portion of them when opportunities arise to capitalise on price imbalances, or to make markets. HFT makes up more than half of all US trading volume.

The trading methods and technology that make HFT possible are all legal, and the stock exchanges HFT firms trade on are highly regulated.

cheguevara
03-31-2014, 03:39 PM
so after all this bullshit song and dance

the stock market if no better than taking your lifesaving to Vegas and betting it all or Red. :lol

:lmao "US economy" its nothing but one spinning roulette and a bouncy ball :lol

watch the ball bounce monkey :lol

boutons_deux
03-31-2014, 03:56 PM
and Paul won't do a damn thing about it.

Wild Cobra
03-31-2014, 03:59 PM
I would like to see all short tern stock trading made illegal. Have a minimum number of hold days once purchased. Perhaps 30 days.

cheguevara
03-31-2014, 04:02 PM
and Paul won't do a damn thing about it.

neither will ObamaGod imo

Paul would have done something about it had he come into power at some point in time

Big Empty
03-31-2014, 04:44 PM
I would like to see all short tern stock trading made illegal. Have a minimum number of hold days once purchased. Perhaps 30 days.
nah i say just do away with shorting and borrowing on margin. leveraged etfs. complex options besides your basic spreads. its all just extra work for us lol

Wild Cobra
03-31-2014, 04:49 PM
nah i say just do away with shorting and borrowing on margin. leveraged etfs. complex options besides your basic spreads. its all just extra work for us lol
There was a short trading rule removed in 2006, or 2007. I forget the details after all this time, but I was against it.

pgardn
03-31-2014, 09:50 PM
Where does Che put his money?

Take note anyone with a little extra lettuce.

angrydude
03-31-2014, 11:20 PM
The fact that HFT is nothing but front-running skimming is old news but I'm glad that it's going mainstream.

cheguevara
04-01-2014, 03:34 AM

not in the stock market. If I wanna gamble with my savings I rather go to Vegas, probably better odds there :lmao

pgardn
04-01-2014, 06:59 AM

Answer the question.

EVAY
04-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Works for me.

EVAY
04-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Thing is, any or all rules against certain kinds of trading are attempted, the financial types will threaten to withhold their PAC monies from whoever supports the 'regulation', and ALL pols will collapse in the face of it.

boutons_deux
04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Thing is, any or all rules against certain kinds of trading are attempted, the financial types will threaten to withhold their PAC monies from whoever supports the 'regulation', and ALL pols will collapse in the face of it.

This is why the inequality, the poverty, the social/economic immobility created by the oligarchy gaming the USA will all get worse, much worse, since the oligarchy (and their shills the tea baggers) blocks all attempts to reduce their priveliged, protected, gamed status.

pgardn
04-01-2014, 10:41 AM
So who has money in the stock market, who has a 401k? C'mon now...

cheguevara
04-01-2014, 02:45 PM
So who has money in the stock market, who has a 401k? C'mon now...

401k??? :lmao

wow you believe in that sham too?

401k is nothing more than a sham created by the finance sector to make gazillions off of moronic rank and file people like you or me. They are the ones that have made the fortunes while regular americans barely are able to save peanut after peanut until they are 65 and barely have a 6 figure # in the 401k.

:lmao 401k, what's next, the Easter Bunny? :lol

pgardn
04-01-2014, 03:25 PM

401k is nothing more than a sham created by the finance sector to make gazillions off of moronic rank and file people like you or me. They are the ones that have made the fortunes while regular americans barely are able to save peanut after peanut until they are 65 and barely have a 6 figure # in the 401k.

So where does your money go Mr. Buffet?

Which checking account? The one with 0.09% interest?

pgardn
04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
The stock market is rigged.
Insiders, frequent traders who get ahead of big institutional traders
Keep going...

So where do you put your money?
That is safe and has a better return over the long haul?
Answer...

This haven does not exist.

TeyshaBlue
04-01-2014, 09:29 PM

At last check, I've got a shit-ton in my 401k avg a 6% return.

DUNCANownsKOBE
04-01-2014, 09:34 PM
At last check, I've got a shit-ton in my 401k avg a 6% return.

Looks like we're both victims of this 401k scam. This year I'll contribute about $2.8k to my 401k while my employer will contribute 6k.

pgardn
04-01-2014, 09:45 PM
But Che is worried because you could have made more if the market was totally fair.

And I'm waiting on that better investment vehicle... He has the inside scoop on some bat fertilizer from a cave.

Nbadan
04-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Stock market is on a run....Spurs are on a run...

CoincidinK? I think not...

TeyshaBlue
04-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Stock market is on a run....Spurs are on a run...

CoincidinK? I think not...

:tu

Winehole23
04-02-2014, 09:28 AM
The technology behind HFT may be complex, but the math is that simple. Once the Securities and Exchange Commission allowed stock exchanges to share with traders all of the unexecuted incoming orders, it was hard not to make money by skimming a few cents or fractions of a cent from each trade. Several years ago, the founder of Tradebot, one of the biggest high-frequency firms, had said that the firm had “not had a losing day of trading in four years (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/business/17trade.html).” The firm’s average holding period for stocks is 11 seconds.http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-03-31/speed-trading-in-a-rigged-market

pgardn
04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-03-31/speed-trading-in-a-rigged-market

NPR did a very good segment to illustrate how time traders illegally anticipated purchases then bought and immediately sold the stock back at small profit that added up over time. They homed in on big traders of course.

Needs fixing no doubt. But even rigged it has proven profitable for individual investors who use big firms like Vanguard over time. One can always buy bonds or put money in a savings account. But that has the KNOWN quantity that your money will be lent out at a much higher rate.

Winehole23
04-02-2014, 09:47 AM
and get a return that barely beats inflation. with interest rates so low, there's a real incentive to be riskier with one's nest egg.

pgardn
04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
and get a return that barely beats inflation. with interest rates so low, there's a real incentive to be riskier with one's nest egg.

Yep.

I do appreciate the call out on the cheating though. We might get more participation in a fair market by individuals which could only be good.

SnakeBoy
04-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Why? What do you think that would accomplish?

SnakeBoy
04-02-2014, 01:36 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-17/bugatti-driving-26-year-old-tied-to-penny-stock-website.html

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-17/bugatti-driving-26-year-old-tied-to-penny-stock-website.html

peanuts compared to the financial sector's pump up a bubble, then get rich on the dump

pgardn
04-02-2014, 03:29 PM
peanuts compared to the financial sector's pump up a bubble, then get rich on the dump
Get rich on the bump?

Were you around about 2007?

The financial sector got its ass handed to it.

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Get rich on the bump?

Were you around about 2007?

The financial sector got its ass handed to it.

the financial sector was bankrupt, got bailed out, and now is bigger, stronger, richer than ever, while the rest of us are still mostly screwed, poorer, weaker, impoverished, un/under-employed.

the bubble was GOOD for the financial sector

cheguevara
04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Looks like we're both victims of this 401k scam. This year I'll contribute about $2.8k to my 401k while my employer will contribute 6k.

:lmao so that 8 or so K that you are putting in will probably gain about 20% of its value in about 30 years when you can actually think about touching the money. So let's say you will have around $10,000 (being very optimistic) in 30+ years due to inflation those 10K will be worth about 7K and when you really need the money will be forced to pay taxes/fees which will reduce the amount to less than 5K.

Congratulations You will be able to afford a few happy meals to enjoy your retirement :lmao

meanwhile the financial sector has made a great % from your investment in interest and fees and when you multiply that by the millions of rank and file americans that follow your footsteps you have helped make the financial sector gazillions :lol

Th'Pusher
04-02-2014, 05:01 PM
:lmao so that 8 or so K that you are putting in will probably gain about 20% of its value in about 30 years when you can actually think about touching the money. So let's say you will have around $10,000 (being very optimistic) in 30+ years due to inflation those 10K will be worth about 7K and when you really need the money will be forced to pay taxes/fees which will reduce the amount to less than 5K.

Congratulations You will be able to afford a few happy meals to enjoy your retirement :lmao

meanwhile the financial sector has made a great % from your investment in interest and fees and when you multiply that by the millions of rank and file americans that follow your footsteps you have helped make the financial sector gazillions :lol

Wut? Look up compound interest...

Spurminator
04-02-2014, 05:15 PM
But food stamp abuse...

pgardn
04-02-2014, 06:13 PM
the financial sector was bankrupt, got bailed out, and now is bigger, stronger, richer than ever, while the rest of us are still mostly screwed, poorer, weaker, impoverished, un/under-employed.

the bubble was GOOD for the financial sector

So they created the bubble because they knew it would be good?
Lehman brothers needs to stop this BS... oh wait a sec...

pgardn
04-02-2014, 06:15 PM

So where is your money Warren? It's not in any sort of stock so where is it Mr. Vegas?

rascal
04-02-2014, 06:22 PM

Yea right. The ones making the rules are the ones profiting.

pgardn
04-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Yea right. The ones making the rules are the ones profiting.

Actually a lot of ordinary people profited a great deal 2013. I bet those taxes are higher.

But the fact is they could have profited a bit more if it was fair. That being said I don't know what other place one should put their money if they want to see maximum long term growth. Anyone ... with a better place to achieve this?

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 06:35 PM
So they created the bubble because they knew it would be good?
Lehman brothers needs to stop this BS... oh wait a sec...

sure. the financial, regulated and shadow, made $100Bs with the housing + credit bubbles.

there's a saying in Silicon Valley "Let me live through one more tech bubble". and there's one going on right now

pgardn
04-02-2014, 06:38 PM
sure. the financial, regulated and shadow, made $100Bs with the housing + credit bubbles.

there's a saying in Silicon Valley "Let me live through one more tech bubble". and there's one going on right now

Does Lehman Brothers want another bubble, does Countywide, and on... They knew AHEAD they would be bailed out? They were shaking in their boots. The whole damn country was. You knew who would get bailed out ahead of time?

boutons_deux
04-03-2014, 03:55 AM
Does Lehman Brothers want another bubble, does Countywide, and on... They knew AHEAD they would be bailed out? They were shaking in their boots. The whole damn country was. You knew who would get bailed out ahead of time?

lehman, etc made $Bs off the bubble.

Secretary Paulson/Goldman wanted its rival Lehman, even if was the biggest bastard on the street, gone. Goldman, however, has thrived and grown bigger than ever from the crash.

pgardn
04-03-2014, 08:11 AM
lehman, etc made $Bs off the bubble.

Secretary Paulson/Goldman wanted its rival Lehman, even if was the biggest bastard on the street, gone. Goldman, however, has thrived and grown bigger than ever from the crash.

So the bubble was good for Lehman because they are gone.
And what is Paulson doing in all this mess, why was he even necessary since it was all so well planned and played out as expected?
Again you forget fail to look at what was going on during the crisis. You look at the end result and assumed some plan worked? Are you serious? I bet you threw big money at Goldman knowing they had it all figured out...

boutons_deux
04-03-2014, 08:41 AM
So the bubble was good for Lehman because they are gone.
And what is Paulson doing in all this mess, why was he even necessary since it was all so well planned and played out as expected?
Again you forget fail to look at what was going on during the crisis. You look at the end result and assumed some plan worked? Are you serious? I bet you threw big money at Goldman knowing they had it all figured out...

learn to know when you're bitch slapped :lol

pgardn
04-03-2014, 09:52 AM
learn to know when you're bitch slapped :lol

Well it's not when the emoticon comes out. That's your I got nothing signal.

So all finely orchestrated when all hell was breaking loose.
You got it all figured out in hindsight Boots.
*cue polite dog show fingers to palm clap*
Splendid boots, just amazing foresight.

rascal
04-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Actually a lot of ordinary people profited a great deal 2013. I bet those taxes are higher.

But the fact is they could have profited a bit more if it was fair. That being said I don't know what other place one should put their money if they want to see maximum long term growth. Anyone ... with a better place to achieve this?

Put it into starting your own business.