PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm not the only one that gets annoyed by the Parker dribble dribble dribble

Blake
04-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Dribble dribble dribble dribble off balance jumper offense.

Compared to recent games, last night's offense was miserable to watch

Dex
04-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Dribble dribble dribble dribble off balance jumper offense.

Compared to recent games, last night's offense was miserable to watch

Parker needs to get his game back. Whether you like Hero Ball or not, we are going to need it at some point in the playoffs. All this fancy passing is great during the regular season, but it's not always gonna fly when teams buckle down on defense.

Blake
04-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Parker needs to get his game back. Whether you like Hero Ball or not, we are going to need it at some point in the playoffs. All this fancy passing is great during the regular season, but it's not always gonna fly when teams buckle down on defense.

I'm cool with Parker playing hero ball down by one with 20 seconds left in the game, but not midway through the second quarter.

Playoffs included.

Cry Havoc
04-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Hey look.

A thread criticizing Tony Parker.

This is new.

jag
04-01-2014, 09:39 AM
last night's offense was miserable to watch

wow

T Park
04-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Nothing like the best player on the team getting killed for being agressive.

Mel_13
04-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Pop: "Tony set the tone for us with his aggressiveness offensively. He moved the ball, scored himself, created a lot of situations for us."

thispego
04-01-2014, 09:50 AM
wow
I agree with jag? Wtf?

Boomersgold
04-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Dribble, Dribble, Dribble? All I saw was hero, hero, hero. That's always been Parker's playing style. When it works, it works.

DesignatedT
04-01-2014, 10:19 AM
The ball movement is always key but Tony protects the ball and creates a lot for other guys. Same can't be said for anyone else. Half of Manu's fancy passes turn into turnovers once the playoffs arrive and teams start to play defense.

The criticism he receives is just laughable at this point.

Blake
04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
I look at the box and see 100+ points on 18 assists, it reaffirms my opinion.

But ok, I guess I'm the only one. Neato.

james evans
04-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Nothing like the best player on the team getting killed for being agressive.
parker's the best player on the team? :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Shastafarian
04-01-2014, 10:41 AM

But ok, I guess I'm the only one. Neato.Hopefully

MultiTroll
04-01-2014, 10:46 AM
We are also going to need timely ball distribution during the playoffs when teams buckle down on defense.
It cuts both ways. He needs to find a balance.

Kabals
04-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Everything Parker do is heroball

Parker shooting pull up jumper off a screen = hero
Mills doing this every time = no problem

Parker taking a open jumper = hero
Diaw not doing it = OMG SHOT THE BALL!
Duncan doing it = wow his jumper is so flat

Parker attacking the basket = hero
Kawhi doing it = Nice to see Kawhi being aggressive

PŇÓCH
04-01-2014, 10:51 AM
The dribble dribble dribble spin dribble dribble is the worst especially when he uses the left hand. Drives one nuts don't it?

ElNono
04-01-2014, 11:00 AM
When he's making shots, he's MVParker.... when he's not, he's Enrique... it's not really fair, but due to his age, talent and the point where he is in his career, he has the biggest responsibility on the team.

I think the criticism this season has been sharper because he's not played as well as last season, and because he's now surrounded by a more capable supporting cast.

Ultimately, we're going to need him making shots and plays, but I feel we're better equipped to rely less on him. We'll see.

DesignatedT
04-01-2014, 11:06 AM
It was pretty obvious before the season even tipped-off how this season was going to go for Parker. Especially considering him playing all summer. Him coasting this season and trying to save himself for the playoffs was obvious and made too much sense.Comparing him to others who played all Summer also doesn't do him justice either because his style of play translates into a lot more wear and tear than anyone else. His play during the season shouldn't be scrutinized too much. Timmy's consistent play is pretty amazing but that's what he is.... amazing.

Dex
04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
We are also going to need timely ball distribution during the playoffs when teams buckle down on defense.
It cuts both ways. He needs to find a balance.

In the games Tony Parker has played during the win streak, he is averaging 15.1 points and 5 assists in 27 minutes on 48% shooting. Per 36, that comes out to 20 PPG and 6.6 APG.

Remove games where Tony has played less than 24 minutes (i.e. all of these games against cellar dwellers like CLE, LAL, and NOP where Tony really wasn't needed), and those averages jump to 18.8 points and 5.5 assists in 30 minutes on 52% shooting. Per 36, thats 22.6 PPG and 6.6 APG.

Fucking Tony Parker and his All-Star level play. Really pisses me off.

Blake
04-01-2014, 11:18 AM
When he's making shots, he's MVParker.... when he's not, he's Enrique... it's not really fair, but due to his age, talent and the point where he is in his career, he has the biggest responsibility on the team.

I think the criticism this season has been sharper because he's not played as well as last season, and because he's now surrounded by a more capable supporting cast.

Ultimately, we're going to need him making shots and plays, but I feel we're better equipped to rely less on him. We'll see.

It's funny, I keep hearing talk about the Spurs "system", but when it comes down to it, Tony has license to scrap the system and go hero.

If you guys are cool with it, great.

As a pure basketball fan, I was appreciating the ball getting passed around the perimeter, getting everyone involved, getting 5-6 guys 8-11 field goal attempts each, such as in the Pelican game.

I'm not saying the Spurs won't need Parker going hero during the playoffs, I just don't see the need for it with a ten point lead in the 2nd quarter of a regular season game.

DesignatedT
04-01-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm not saying the Spurs won't need Parker going hero during the playoffs

Well if they are going to need something when the games actually matter then they should probably practice the things that are needed as much as possible during the second quarter of Pelicans games tbh.

ElNono
04-01-2014, 11:27 AM
It's funny, I keep hearing talk about the Spurs "system", but when it comes down to it, Tony has license to scrap the system and go hero.

As a pure basketball fan, I was appreciating the ball getting passed around the perimeter, getting everyone involved, getting 5-6 guys 8-11 field goal attempts each, such as in the Pelican game.

I'm not saying the Spurs won't need Parker going hero during the playoffs, I just don't see the need for it with a ten point less in the 2nd quarter of a regular season game.

Well, I think we're just spoiled this season because we have unselfish, great-passers on the complementary players, that makes the game really pretty in the eye, and has been extremely effective.

But, the system always allowed for bread-and-butter/go-to guy. When Timmy was in his prime, we did 4-down a lot. When Manu could get to the rim at will, we did a lot of dribble handoff/back cuts for him.

You always want to have more options, and the regular season is there just for that: everybody gets to try stuff and get the feeling what they're capable of doing. Hopefully it will all translate in a deep playoff run.

SpurAddict561
04-01-2014, 11:30 AM
103 points vs the #1 defense in the NBA

TP did a pretty good job, I'd say....

ElNono
04-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Plus likely the biggest challenge the Spurs face is when Tony eventually gets shut down. Great defensive teams will take away your first (TP), second (TD) and sometimes third (Manu) option... then it becomes imperative that the rest can make plays. And in that regard, I feel the Spurs are better suited this season. But every game of every series is different, and the more players you have playing well certainly makes a difference.

MultiTroll
04-01-2014, 11:36 AM
In the games Tony Parker has played during the win streak,

6-23 in the Game 6 Giveaway when he, Coach NumbNutts and Turnobili combined to throw away the Championship.

He needs to find a balance.

Blake
04-01-2014, 11:40 AM
In the games Tony Parker has played during the win streak, he is averaging 15.1 points and 5 assists in 27 minutes on 48% shooting. Per 36, that comes out to 20 PPG and 6.6 APG.

Remove games where Tony has played less than 24 minutes (i.e. all of these games against cellar dwellers like CLE, LAL, and NOP where Tony really wasn't needed), and those averages jump to 18.8 points and 5.5 assists in 30 minutes on 52% shooting. Per 36, thats 22.6 PPG and 6.6 APG.

Yes but what are his dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble off balance jump shot stats.

04-01-2014, 11:40 AM

So accurate

Kabals
04-01-2014, 11:45 AM
I wonder if a player like Ricky Rubio could get his 10+ assist per game average in a Spurs team. Despite being #1 in assist per game Spurs isn't really a team where one player can rack lot of assists.
- You have to share the ball with Manu
- You played less minutes
- No alley oop
- No bigs with reliable jumpshot (Diaw have a nice jumper though, I wonder why they don't run more pick n pop with him instead of Splitter/Duncan)

I'm not saying the Spurs won't need Parker going hero during the playoffs, I just don't see the need for it with a ten point lead in the 2nd quarter of a regular season game.

Pacers aren't the Pelican, even if they struggle they are still an elite defensive team. And Spurs actually needed Tony going hero in the second quarter, which is why Pop put Tony back sooner than usual. Ball movement weren't working and shot weren't falling. Tony came, attacked the rim, make a fews jumpers. On second half Indiana defended closer on him which let more space to the other player.

cd98
04-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Last I checked Parker was the point guard, and if you look at every team in the NBA, the player that dribbles the most on just about every team in the point guard. Parker also creates a lot off the dribble, which actually makes our passing game more effective when he kicks out, and when he attacks the paint, he is one of the best finishers in the league. Can't see how we want one of our best weapons, the dribble penetration, to stop.

SpursFan86
04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
We scored 103 points on the road against the #1 defense in the league that plays at a very slow pace...our offense looked fine tbh.

Mikeanaro
04-01-2014, 11:56 AM
:downspin::rollin:whine:married::p::huddle::lmao:d ownspin:

ElNono
04-01-2014, 12:01 PM
I wonder if a player like Ricky Rubio could get his 10+ assist per game average

Ricky Rubio is overrated as hell. I would take 5 Enriques over him, tbh.

Mel_13
04-01-2014, 12:10 PM

Plus likely the biggest challenge the Spurs face is when Tony eventually gets shut down. Great defensive teams will take away your first (TP), second (TD) and sometimes third (Manu) option... then it becomes imperative that the rest can make plays. And in that regard, I feel the Spurs are better suited this season. But every game of every series is different, and the more players you have playing well certainly makes a difference.

This E-N article touches on the same things. Especially the remarks by Manu and Brett Brown's 4 eras of Spurs offense.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/03/28/the-evolution-of-an-elite-offense/

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Weird timing... because Parker just owned the best defense in the league... but yes.. it does get annoying at times... but, again, the timing of this post is horrible.

ElNono
04-01-2014, 12:17 PM
This E-N article touches on the same things. Especially the remarks by Manu and Brett Brown's 4 eras of Spurs offense.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/03/28/the-evolution-of-an-elite-offense/

thanks! :tu

DPG21920
04-01-2014, 12:25 PM
People confuse assists with ball movement. This offense is not conducive to an individual player averaging 10 assists. If you are just a casual box score fan (not taking a shot at those people, just using a point of reference) you look at assists and probably just assume someone is a good playmaker or true PG.

In the Spurs system, that's just really not possible. But two points: 1) It's the system and the reason you see our bigs (Tim/Tiago/Boris) along with other guards all getting assists. Despite not having anyone averaging over 7 assists per game, the Spurs are one of the top assisting teams in the league. 2) For the box score fans (again, not a knock) it's easy to just assume TP isn't a playmaking PG. Nothing is further than the truth. If you watch enough basketball, TP's decision making is 2nd to none. He may not get the assist because of the system, but his initial playmaking/passing often leads to the chain of events that unfold and allow the Spurs to score. I would venture (as I have said before) that he would be a top 3 "hockey assist" player in the NBA if they tracked that stat.

Prime Time
04-01-2014, 12:28 PM

To be fair, Parker is the only one who does all 3 consistently. If he's missing different shots from all over the floor while taking the offense off it's groove, then it's Hero Ball.

Mel_13
04-01-2014, 12:29 PM
People confuse assists with ball movement. This offense is not conducive to an individual player averaging 10 assists. If you are just a casual box score fan (not taking a shot at those people, just using a point of reference) you look at assists and probably just assume someone is a good playmaker or true PG.

In the Spurs system, that's just really not possible. But two points: 1) It's the system and the reason you see our bigs (Tim/Tiago/Boris) along with other guards all getting assists. Despite not having anyone averaging over 7 assists per game, the Spurs are one of the top assisting teams in the league. 2) For the box score fans (again, not a knock) it's easy to just assume TP isn't a playmaking PG. Nothing is further than the truth. If you watch enough basketball, TP's decision making is 2nd to none. He may not get the assist because of the system, but his initial playmaking/passing often leads to the chain of events that unfold and allow the Spurs to score. I would venture (as I have said before) that he would be a top 3 "hockey assist" player in the NBA if they tracked that stat.

+1

Just watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxCihOz6_UU

Kabals
04-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Most of time when Tony is going "hero" it's on a loop play, his teammates have the choice to give him the ball or not or make something by themselves. Problem is Green has zero ball handling, Kawhi is progressing but still lacking and Duncan is too light to post up consistently. Results is Tony always get the ball back and it ends up on hero ball.

superbigtime
04-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Doesn't bother me one bit. He's looking for a crease, a play, a pass, a shot. And he finds it 85% of the time. This is complaining for the sake of complaining.

Blake
04-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Well, I think we're just spoiled this season because we have unselfish, great-passers on the complementary players, that makes the game really pretty in the eye, and has been extremely effective.

Yes I am spoiled.

And off balance Parker jump shots hurt my eyes.

Blake
04-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Doesn't bother me one bit. He's looking for a crease, a play, a pass, a shot. And he finds it 85% of the time. This is complaining for the sake of complaining.

Link to 85%

BatManu20
04-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Take Parker off of this team and see how good the Spurs are without him. Seriously, I've never seen a fan bas bitch more about their star player, while on an 18 game winning streak no less. Smh.

DarrinS
04-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Truth

DarrinS
04-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Personally, I prefer watching the second unit this season. But that may be because the brain likes novelty.

The_Coyote
04-01-2014, 01:17 PM

But ok, I guess I'm the only one. Neato.

That may be true, but we turned the ball over only eight times last night. That's impressive given Indy's defense (even if they are slumping).

Blake
04-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I love everything about Tony's game except the one thing I mentioned.

There is an especially high content of grey here today.

superbigtime
04-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Link to 85%

lol i knew some geek would pull this.

SpursFan86
04-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I love everything about Tony's game except the one thing I mentioned.

There is an especially high content of grey here today.

Man, your basketball opinions are so much more valuable and insightful because your username is black. I long for the day where I'm no longer a grey user whose opinion is invalidated because I haven't spent as much time on this forum :depressed

Boomersgold
04-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Take Parker off of this team and see how good the Spurs are without him. Seriously, I've never seen a fan bas bitch more about their star player, while on an 18 game winning streak no less. Smh.
Still 1st seed in the West, tbh.

Blake
04-01-2014, 01:38 PM
lol i knew some geek would pull this.

I should have known there'd be some ass talking from the grey contingent

Blake
04-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Man, your basketball opinions are so much more valuable and insightful because your username is black. I long for the day where I'm no longer a grey user whose opinion is invalidated because I haven't spent as much time on this forum :depressed

All true.

EVAY
04-01-2014, 01:40 PM

The Pelicans don't exactly practice superior defense. Sure the ball is easy to flow around the perimeter when no one is playing the passing lanes or if the other team is not long and athletic compared to others.

The Pacers are, as others have pointed out, one of if not THE best defensive team in the league. Passes around the perimeter are not going to get completed. They will turn into turnovers. Same is true of long outlet passes, sort of like happened last night.

Tony's 'dribbling, dribbling' as you term it is what is required for a motion offense so that one person (i.e. the pg) can test the defense for openings. The familiar Spurs "loop" play is little more than a variation on that. Either the point guard can dribble looking for an opening or draw defenders to him, which will create openings for other players, or in the loop play, one of the other team members hold the ball while Tony races around in a circle trying to lose the defender assigned to him, as do other members.

If the point guard does NOT take a shot when he has been penetrating (i.e. 'dribbling'), then the other team won't leave the other Spur's players open. Make it or miss it, the pg taking shots from the dribble forces the defenders to pay attention to him.

I really get the impression from your posts that you either dislike the Spurs' offensive scheme requirements when they are playing against good defenders, or you don't understand what you are watching.

EVAY
04-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Thank you. Much more concise statement of what I was trying inartfully to communicate.

Blake
04-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I really get the impression from your posts that you either dislike the Spurs' offensive scheme requirements when they are playing against good defenders, or you don't understand what you are watching.

Or I'm the only one that notices the dribble.....dribble off balance shot fade left.

but there are bad habits that every Spur has that annoy me. I'm just picking on Parker today.

Blake
04-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I'll tell you guys what......

let's all take a shot of your favorite adult beverage every time TP takes a floating jump shot from this 41% white area or 37% pink area inside the arc as noted here:

http://t.imgbox.com/H2XTGaud.jpg

And see how fucked up we can get. :tu

Blake
04-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Dude, that sounds fun as shit. Or how about when Marco makes a 3?

No that sucks. Only my plan sounds fun as shit.

TampaDude
04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Dude, that sounds fun as shit. Or how about when Marco makes a 3?

That would likely require hospitalization. :lol

Chinook
04-01-2014, 02:18 PM
People are misunderstanding the Spurs offense if they think Parker is hogging the ball. The reason why he keeps breaking plays is because each set is loaded with options for him and Duncan to take depending on the situation. The system is so dynamic because one set can turn into a dozen plays that every Spurs on the court can execute superbly. We can laud all the fancy ball movement as much as we want, but that's not the way the SL works or should work.

Tony is the lynchpin for the offense. He is the one who creates the initial mismatches that end up being turned into open shots. He needs to score a lot to force help and get players open. Complaining that Parker has the ball too much is like complaining that Prime Duncan posted up too much.

That said, there are definitely times where he should look for his teammates more often, especially his wings. Analysts make a point about guards feeding bigs to get them in rhythm and keep them motivated to do the dirty work. The New Two need to get their touches as well.

Kabals
04-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Pull up jumper != off balance (just look at how unbalanced Belinelli seems when he shot, doesn't mean he really is).

And yeah we are so fucked up. 2 shots per game and at an average 40.5% in this white area.

At least we are lucky Tony is a 50%FG hero.

Chinook
04-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Most of time when Tony is going "hero" it's on a loop play, his teammates have the choice to give him the ball or not or make something by themselves. Problem is Green has zero ball handling, Kawhi is progressing but still lacking and Duncan is too light to post up consistently. Results is Tony always get the ball back and it ends up on hero ball.

That's not even remotely true. The Loop gives Parker three distinct options (triple screen, reverse and pin down, and slipping the third screen and coming up to the ball. If all of those options are taken away (which is extremely rare), you'll see a high PnR with the high big and passer. The passer does not have the option to do anything until Parker's options have been exhausted, especially since all he could do is iso with the other four players involved in the original play. There's a reason why Manu and Beli stand there waiting for Parker to get open just as much as Green and Leonard do.

hater
04-01-2014, 02:33 PM
this team goes nowhere without MVParker. No NBA team has won it all with pure role players. Even Billups went supernova to take team oriented Pistons to the promised land.

Mikeanaro
04-01-2014, 02:38 PM
You better take off/out Duncan to see his real value.

ohmwrecker
04-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Shut up, Blake.

EVAY
04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Shut up, Blake.

:lol:toast

Macca76
04-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Shut up, Blake.
Thank you :lol

ElNono
04-01-2014, 04:22 PM
this team goes nowhere without MVParker. No NBA team has won it all with pure role players. Even Billups went supernova to take team oriented Pistons to the promised land.

Then there's that whole other thing of "PG-led teams don't win championships"... :stirpot:

TE
04-01-2014, 04:22 PM
People are misunderstanding the Spurs offense if they think Parker is hogging the ball. The reason why he keeps breaking plays is because each set is loaded with options for him and Duncan to take depending on the situation. The system is so dynamic because one set can turn into a dozen plays that every Spurs on the court can execute superbly. We can laud all the fancy ball movement as much as we want, but that's not the way the SL works or should work.

Tony is the lynchpin for the offense. He is the one who creates the initial mismatches that end up being turned into open shots. He needs to score a lot to force help and get players open. Complaining that Parker has the ball too much is like complaining that Prime Duncan posted up too much.

That said, there are definitely times where he should look for his teammates more often, especially his wings. Analysts make a point about guards feeding bigs to get them in rhythm and keep them motivated to do the dirty work. The New Two need to get their touches as well.

Good stuff. You're probably one of the few others that knows what the Spurs run.

I would add tho that the other sets the Spurs run rely on Parker as well to create that initial mismatch. He really is the catalyst for what happens on the offensive end.

TE
04-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Shut up, Blake.
Pretty much.

Blake
04-01-2014, 04:33 PM
I gotta say, I'm a little surprised none of you are with me on this.

Or maybe you're too afraid to agree out loud because of what the mob is saying.

Splits
04-01-2014, 04:34 PM
I gotta say, I'm a little surprised none of you are with me on this.

Or maybe you're too afraid to agree out loud because of what the mob is saying.

I assure you TDMVPDPOY is with you on this. Too bad his basketball takes are poop.

eric365
04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Tony is not as good as last season and it looks like he almost hurts the ball movement recently. I think the spurs may even win more regular season games without him

That being said you can't rely only on ball movement / screens / cuts in the playoff. We have seen it every fuc**** years. You need a star that draw double team to get open jumpers / 3s in the playoff.
How many times do we need to see all our so great shooters fail in the playoff when the bench is playing without the big 3 or when the big 3 is not playing well enough to draw double team.

At this point of their career:
- Manu doesn't draw double team most of the time
- Timmy only if the matchup is favorable or if he gets the ball less than 3-5 ft of the rim
- Tony draw double team every time he drives to the basket. Sometimes even before when teams try to trap him like last year in the WCF

So Parker is still the player that we need to play well in the playoff IMO to have a shot

Kool Bob Love
04-01-2014, 04:56 PM
6-23

bench Enrique for patty in the 4th quarter = :lobt2:

hater
04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Then there's that whole other thing of "PG-led teams don't win championships"... :stirpot:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/multimedia/photo_gallery/0909/bernstein_finals_photos/images/Pistons%20celebrating%201989a.jpg

http://swishgeneration.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/chaunceyfinals.jpg

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2007-06/15/xin_3506041513168702520568.jpg

:lmao :lol

Kool Bob Love
04-01-2014, 05:03 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ebR-x4SIn0c/T_IV3wjD6_I/AAAAAAAAHhQ/epbixjBHEAQ/s1600/chuck-daly-dies.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4Z9C9hP.jpg

http://distractedbylasersdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/1180844896.jpg

ElNono
04-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Not my schtick, but feel free to bring this one up with DUNCANownsKOBE ... :lol

You could easily add last season too, IMO...

EDIT: and obviously there's that Magic Johnson guy that was pretty good too...

Dex
04-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Shut up, Blake.

:lol Well put.

superbigtime
04-01-2014, 06:27 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ebR-x4SIn0c/T_IV3wjD6_I/AAAAAAAAHhQ/epbixjBHEAQ/s1600/chuck-daly-dies.jpg

LOL Laettner!

Dex
04-01-2014, 06:41 PM

Fixed that for everybody tbh.

http://i.imgur.com/t8qhRLk.jpg

cd021
04-01-2014, 07:06 PM

:tu

T Park
04-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Uh, yes...

TVI
04-01-2014, 08:49 PM
:tu

SanDiegoSpursFan
04-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Parker has been bad (by his standards) this year, but last night he was great. He never called off the offense for an iso and was using the screens well. That flair to the baseline when George Hill misread it stood out to me because it showed that he was making reads and not just running through the motions.

Blake
04-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I remember when Pop rested him not too long ago and he looked Great! The man needs a nice break before the playoffs start. But I'm not a basketball genius like some here.

What he needs is to watch film on how the ball gets distributed properly when he's not in the game.

Baseline
04-02-2014, 12:15 AM
You guys who complain about Parker dribbling too much...ever seen Chris Paul play?

BillMc
04-02-2014, 04:19 AM

Because Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas and Chauncey Billups never won anything. :)

gilmor
04-02-2014, 05:07 AM
I'd like to see you motherfuckers jaws drop when Enrique get the Finals MVP award...

Diego20
04-02-2014, 08:56 AM
You guys who complain about Parker dribbling too much...ever seen Chris Paul play?

CP averages 11 assists per game. TP only 6 assists per game.

Brazil
04-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Diego...libre dans sa tete... with the shitty come back per par

EVAY
04-02-2014, 09:11 AM

Have you read NOTHING of what other posters have tried to explain in this thread about the nature of the Spurs offense and how it is not set up to have any one individual get a ton of assists while others get few or none? Our motion offense is set up so that the ball movement is designed to go through multiple players receiving a pass, and then depending on where we are in the offensive set and what the defense is giving us, THEN that person will decide to pass to an open shooter or take the shot himself.

As so many others have pointed out, the Spurs' offense runs more like hockey, with the pass-before-the-pass-before-the-shot counting as an assist, too.

You really are misunderstanding your team's approach to the game.

Boomersgold
04-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Have you read NOTHING of what other posters have tried to explain in this thread about the nature of the Spurs offense and how it is not set up to have any one individual get a ton of assists while others get few or none? Our motion offense is set up so that the ball movement is designed to go through multiple players receiving a pass, and then depending on where we are in the offensive set and what the defense is giving us, THEN that person will decide to pass to an open shooter or take the shot himself.

As so many others have pointed out, the Spurs' offense runs more like hockey, with the pass-before-the-pass-before-the-shot counting as an assist, too.

So if the offense relies on ball, player movement and is dependent on what the defense gives us, why are we constantly criticising Patty for not being a pass-first or a 'true' point guard? I've always said that the Spurs' offense is one that does NOT require a traditional, pass-first point guard in order for it to be effective, and yet we constantly hear from folks on here that Mills isn't capable of 'running' it.

Blake
04-02-2014, 09:46 AM
I'd like to know which point guard in the NBA has the most dribbles per half court offense possession.

Does anyone know how to look this up?

K thanks

Embedded
04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Lol Spurs are doing so well, nothing to complain about so gripe about the style of winning. It will be nice winning a championship.

Johnny RIngo
04-02-2014, 10:25 AM
I'd like to see you motherfuckers jaws drop when Enrique get the Finals MVP award...

They don't give Finals MVPs to players averaging 15 points on bad efficiency.

SpurYank
04-02-2014, 10:37 AM
All you experts in S.A. really know your basketball. Pop just doesn't know what he is talking about when he calls TP the key to the Spurs winning. He needs to check these threads for advice.

EVAY
04-02-2014, 10:46 AM
So if the offense relies on ball, player movement and is dependent on what the defense gives us, why are we constantly criticising Patty for not being a pass-first or a 'true' point guard? I've always said that the Spurs' offense is one that does NOT require a traditional, pass-first point guard in order for it to be effective, and yet we constantly hear from folks on here that Mills isn't capable of 'running' it.

I am a huge fan of Mills so I am not going to participate in saying what he can or can't do. One thing you have to bear in mind is that, for the most part, when Mills is on the floor, Ginobili is with him and Ginobili is the de facto part guard in terms of distributing the ball. I think that the criticism of Patty is primarily based on last year, when virtually the ONLY thing he did was run up the court with the ball and shoot a three.

This year, I think he is much more aware of and attuned to how the offense is set up, and I have watched him participate in a free flowing passing set TONS more than he did last year. Last year he was pretty much incapable of running the offense…didn't seem to understand it…didn't seem to understand that their were people on the floor other than him that pretty much depended on him actually running a set play that Pop called in from the side. And those set plays almost always involve multiple people touching the ball before a shot gets taken by whoever has the best opening.

Over the last summer and this year, Patty has really improved with the ball distribution aspect of the game, and is really much better at this aspect than he was last year. However, it remains true that if Gino is not on the floor with Patty, the offense gets fairly confused pretty quickly. It is not that he won't ever be able to be a true pg, but he was hired as a shooting guard and that is his primary focus. Frankly, Ginobili was hired primarily as a shooting guard, too, but his knowledge of our offensive sets, bball I.Q., ball handling and passing skills are the best of anybody else on the team, so Pop has used him as the de facto ball distributor for several years now for the second unit. Patty is working hard to develop his other skills (his defense improved Massively from last year), but hasn't quite got the system all the way down yet.

I think eventually he will, though, and I believe that he will be a great spur player for a long time.

Blake
04-02-2014, 10:50 AM
All you experts in S.A. really know your basketball. Pop just doesn't know what he is talking about when he calls TP the key to the Spurs winning. He needs to check these threads for advice.

So TP going hero ball all on his own is what Pop wants? Why even have a system?

It sucks that he's such a damn ball hog. It's hard to watch.

MVPCues
04-02-2014, 10:52 AM
I remember when Pop rested him not too long ago and he looked Great! The man needs a nice break before the playoffs start. But I'm not a basketball genius like some here.

I know, right? I mean, dayum. I think the next Spurs head coach needs to be a random pick from resident experts. That move would equal dynasty.

wildchild
04-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Ok. Spurs system, hockey assist, granted. But all these things explain why most of the time Tony takes the shot himself while Manu -just for example- decides to assist?

Sorry guys, beyond the systems, styles, however, a playmaker is a playmaker.
Tony isn't Nash, Kidd, Kevin Johnson or Stockton, he doesn't have their passing skills or court vision.

Obviously he's a great/amazing scorer, our best offensive player, and I'm so glad he's a Spur. But despite how excel he can be in other areas of the game, he isn't a true playmaker.

Chinook
04-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Ok. Spurs system, hockey assist, granted. But all these things explain why most of the time Tony takes the shot himself while Manu -just for example- decides to assist?

Tony isn't Nash, Kidd, Kevin Johnson or Stockton, he doesn't have their passing skills or court vision.

Obviously he's a great/amazing scorer, our best offensive player, and I'm so glad he's a Spur. But despite how excel he can be in other areas of the game, he isn't a true playmaker.

There's a reason why no one here is scared of the Clippers, and it's because Chris Paul tries too hard to be your ideal playmaker. Pretty much every pass he makes is intended to be an assist. The Spurs are much harder to stop because Parker doesn't have to spoonfeed the other guys nearly as much. His goal is to force help and rely on whomever he passed the ball to to make the next pass if he's not open to shoot. Paul's job is to find the open man. Parker's is to create the open man for someone else to find. He needs to score a whole bunch in order to force the help.

The only issue Parker has is sometimes he'll forget to spoonfeed his wings even if he has a decent shot himself. Getting Green and Leonard in rhythm early makes the offense much better.

ElNono
04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Diego...libre dans sa tete... with the shitty come back per par

Brazil shooting the messenger, per par... :lol

ElNono
04-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Because Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas and Chauncey Billups never won anything. :)

Different era, tbh :)

barbacoataco
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Parker is the best PG in NBA. All the haters on this board complain about Parker coasting on defense, but since when do CP3 or Curry play any defense in the regular season? Sometimes fans are overly critical of their own players because they watch every game and see every fault. The fact is the other PG's that are supposedly better than Parker have never done anything in the playoffs when it mattered. And every time TP has faced them in the playoffs he has held his own or got the better of it. Spurs fans need to stop complaining and start appreciating.

wildchild
04-02-2014, 11:58 AM
As is known, the biggest problem with the score first players is when they're having a bad game, that me-me-shot could be a nightmare, because they don't know when pass or how pass the ball.
But I don't forget we won 3 rings with Tony so trust him even if he isn't a true playmaker.

Brazil
04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Brazil shooting the messenger, per par... :lol

messenger :lol like it was not meant to be a rock in TP's garden

Argie fans still in the CoP CoM stuff :lol

Brazil
04-02-2014, 12:06 PM
But I don't forget we won 3 rings with Tony so trust him even if he isn't a true playmaker.

lol at parker not being a true playmaker. He is one of best on hockey assist, he globally sees the game two steps ahead that's for me a playmaker.

but I let Chinook do the dirty job to teach damn fools... :lol

wildchild
04-02-2014, 12:14 PM
lol at parker not being a true playmaker. He is one of best on hockey assist, he globally sees the game two steps ahead that's for me a playmaker.

but I let Chinook do the dirty job to teach damn fools... :lol

Good for you! :tu
But as long as this continues to be NBA and not NHL...that isn't a playmaker.

tp2021
04-02-2014, 12:24 PM

That's like arguing Camby deserved the DPOY over Tim just because he had more blocks. Simple stats don't tell the whole story.

Brazil
04-02-2014, 12:31 PM

:lmao like because a stat isn't really followed like NHL it means it is not important, gtfo

Mel_13
04-02-2014, 12:48 PM

That first part is simply not true.

The second part refers to players with a combined 69 seasons in the NBA and only one championship. Hardly an endorsement for "true" playmakers.

Could you provide a link to the NBA's definition of a playmaker?

Mikeanaro
04-02-2014, 12:54 PM
I think this is a good topic for the offseason, but now we dont even have secured the 1st spot lol we could pull an Indy that worries me more than the Manu-Tony debate.

wildchild
04-02-2014, 01:12 PM
That's like arguing Camby deserved the DPOY over Tim just because he had more blocks. Simple stats don't tell the whole story.
I'm not a big fan of the stats. Not talking about stats, defense, leadership, or something like that.

The second part refers to players with a combined 69 seasons in the NBA and only one championship. Hardly an endorsement for "true" playmakers.
They weren't great, maybe the best PGs of NBA (with Isiah and Magic off course) because they didn't win a ring?

Could you provide a link to the NBA's definition of a playmaker?
Try to make one?
Like for Brazil is a NHL guy playing NBA games for me is a player who creates offense through a combination of scoring and facilitating while maintaining efficiency.
He could be or not a great scorer but really needs to be a great passer and high vision court guy.
If he can't pass, doesn't have the ability to make the good pass, doesn't find the open guy, doesn't recognize the favourable teammates matchups, well he isn't a true playmaker.

Embedded
04-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Translation: Black people know more about basketball.

Kabals
04-02-2014, 01:37 PM
One thing I don't understand in this forum is Parker get bashed for not being a true playmaker but they are also bashing "true" playmaker.
Kendall Marshall / Steve Nash "lol D Antoni system"
Chris Paul "defer to Pargo :lol"
Rubio and Rondo "stats padder assist whore"

ElNono
04-02-2014, 01:45 PM
messenger :lol like it was not meant to be a rock in TP's garden

pretty telling you think that's a rock in TP's garden... :lol

Funny though, the messenger didn't put it there... Tony did.

ElNono
04-02-2014, 01:47 PM
One thing I don't understand in this forum is Parker get bashed for not being a true playmaker but they are also bashing "true" playmaker.
Kendall Marshall / Steve Nash "lol D Antoni system"
Chris Paul "defer to Pargo :lol"
Rubio and Rondo "stats padder assist whore"

This is closer to where's it's at... Tony is a different player. Extremely successful in a different role.

Mel_13
04-02-2014, 01:59 PM
They weren't great, maybe the best PGs of NBA (with Isiah and Magic off course) because they didn't win a ring?

I didn't say or suggest any such thing.

If he can't pass, doesn't have the ability to make the good pass, doesn't find the open guy, doesn't recognize the favourable teammates matchups, well he isn't a true playmaker.

So, by your own definition, Tony is a playmaker.

wildchild
04-02-2014, 02:13 PM
So, by your own definition, Tony is a playmaker.

No. He's better known as a scorer than a great passer.
He can recognize the favourable teammate matchup? Maybe, but not very often.

Mel_13
04-02-2014, 02:18 PM
No. He's better known as a scorer than a great passer.
He can recognize the favourable teammate matchup? Maybe, but not very often.

So, by your own definition in post #117 , Tony is a playmaker. Unless you're just going to continue to adjust your own terms.

wildchild
04-02-2014, 02:37 PM
So, by your own definition in post #117 , Tony is a playmaker. Unless you're just going to continue to adjust your own terms.

That's not true and don't adjust anything.

Mel_13
04-02-2014, 02:38 PM
That's not true and don't adjust anything.

OK, but we can still see your post.

Brazil
04-02-2014, 02:40 PM
pretty telling you think that's a rock in TP's garden... :lol

Funny though, the messenger didn't put it there... Tony did.

:lol I said it was meant to be, I never say it's a rock in TP's garden

I'm sure Pop is fine with TP's playmaking ability like should be spurs fans in general.

This team is one of the most efficient team to create open shots all over the floor, that would be quite funny to think that the guy who has the most the ball in his hands and runs this famous offense is not a key part of what the Spurs are doing tbh

but yeah assists count :lol

We should trade TP for Rondo, it would be the end of the Spurs system as we know but hell Spurs fans would be happy to have guys stat padding 10+ assists per game

look_at_g_shred
04-02-2014, 02:49 PM

I'm sure Pop is fine with TP's playmaking ability like should be spurs fans in general.

This team is one of the most efficient team to create open shots all over the floor, that would be quite funny to think that the guy who has the most the ball in his hands and runs this famous offense is not a key part of what the Spurs are doing tbh

We should trade TP for Rondo, it would be the end of the Spurs system as we know but hell Spurs fans would be happy to have guys stat padding 10+ assists per game
I know i'm not the only one that gets annoyed by Rondo always passing.

wildchild
04-02-2014, 02:52 PM
OK, but we can still see your post.

Post #117
"Try to make one?
Like for Brazil is a NHL guy playing NBA games for me is a player who creates offense through a combination of scoring and facilitating while maintaining efficiency.
He could be or not a great scorer but really needs to be a great passer and high vision court guy.
If he can't pass, doesn't have the ability to make the good pass, doesn't find the open guy, doesn't recognize the favourable teammates matchups, well he isn't a true playmaker."

Sorry but when I said Tony's a great passer or he's willing to share the ball, have the ability to make the good pass, can find the open guy...? In fact, I said practically the opposite of that.

Mel_13
04-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Post #117
"Try to make one?
If he can't pass, doesn't have the ability to make the good pass, doesn't find the open guy, doesn't recognize the favourable teammates matchups, well he isn't a true playmaker."

Sorry but when I said Tony's a great passer or he's willing to share the ball, have the ability to make the good pass, can find the open guy...? In fact, I said practically the opposite of that.

So your final position is that Tony:

1. is unwilling to share the ball
2. does not have the ability to make the good pass
3. can't find the open guy

Are you sure you want to stand on that position?

Brazil
04-02-2014, 03:30 PM
So your final position is that Tony:

1. is unwilling to share the ball
3. can't find the open guy

Are you sure you want to stand on that position?

of course this is his position :lmao, he is a wild child after all with a monkey brain tho

wildchild
04-02-2014, 03:33 PM
your final position

Final position...I was saying the same since I registered here.

1. isn't a great passer /not really great passing skills
2. is unwilling to share the ball
3. can't find the open guy/not great court vision
4. can't recognize the favourable teammate matchups very often
5. isn't a true playmaker

Like I've said before he isn't a traditional point guard and he excels in other areas of the games.

wildchild
04-02-2014, 03:35 PM
of course this is his position :lmao, he is a wild child after all with a monkey brain tho

And you said that? C'mon...

Mel_13
04-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Like I've said before he isn't a traditional point guard and he excels in other areas of the games.

Ok then.

Good luck with all that.

Mikeanaro
04-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Good man, stay to your beliefs I agree with your points since 2008 thats an issue in the playoffs, he keeps dribbling the ball like his mind went blank and something stupid happens.

hater
04-02-2014, 04:04 PM
bgr6BoAa1lo

/thread

SpurSwag
04-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Tony Parker is a great player and we are a better team when he is 100% and on the court

/thread

Mikeanaro
04-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Fact: every time the Spurs made it to the finals the last game on each one of those series Tony Parker sucked every time, all the time.

Brazil
04-02-2014, 04:31 PM
And you said that? C'mon...

yeah I maintain that, you are one of the worst tp hater tbh your 5 points don't make any sense. Read what has been posting by chinook, mel, evay or others (have a look at the last coach nick thread while you are at it) if your brain is slightly over the level of a monkey you will realize how stupid are your 5 points

If half of what you said was true, Spurs offense would be one of the shittest of the league. I love the can't find the open guy :lol when his bread and butter is penetrating and finding the open guy. It doesn't mean dude is perfect and doesn't have some brain farts once in a while, he obviously has his flaws but a healthy Parker is just fucking essential to the very well oiled offense especially in POs.

Mel is more educated than I am...so let's call a spade a spade you are a dumb poster

ElNono
04-02-2014, 04:35 PM

:lol You don't have to convince me, plus we're rolling with Tony, that much is clear. Just like with Gino haters, gonna have to deal with it.

BTW, here's a post from this thread in NBA.com:
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/04/02/blogtable-believing-in-the-spurs/

that I though you would find fascinating...

KaashMoneyy94
"Tim Duncan and Tony Parker aren’t even that great. They are seriously products of a system. When Pop rests them, the Spurs don’t miss a beat and still pound teams with guys like Patty Mills. Actually Tim Duncan is still pretty amazing because I’ve never seen a big guy with a better set of post moves. But for all the people saying that Parker is a top 3 PG or even the best is ridiculous. He’s just got the necessary skills to run an amazing system. Put Chris Paul or Deron Williams in this same system and they will produce similar if not better results than TP."

:lmao

Brazil
04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
:lol You don't have to convince me, plus we're rolling with Tony, that much is clear. Just like with Gino haters, gonna have to deal with it.

BTW, here's a post from this thread in NBA.com:
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/04/02/blogtable-believing-in-the-spurs/

that I though you would find fascinating...

KaashMoneyy94
"Tim Duncan and Tony Parker aren’t even that great. They are seriously products of a system. When Pop rests them, the Spurs don’t miss a beat and still pound teams with guys like Patty Mills. Actually Tim Duncan is still pretty amazing because I’ve never seen a big guy with a better set of post moves. But for all the people saying that Parker is a top 3 PG or even the best is ridiculous. He’s just got the necessary skills to run an amazing system. Put Chris Paul or Deron Williams in this same system and they will produce similar if not better results than TP."

:lmao

:lol DW ? seriously ? We need to contact kashmonkey, he would become a great ST poster

A great system needs great players.

You cannot teach monkeys play chess and you cannot prevent monkeys from commenting on sports

Brazil
04-02-2014, 04:46 PM
oh and fuck tbh

it has been a while I didn't post anything about parker or engage trolls / tp haters on a thread...

oh well... :depressed

ElNono
04-02-2014, 05:04 PM
:lol DW ? seriously ? We need to contact kashmonkey, he would become a great ST poster

A great system needs great players.

You cannot teach monkeys play chess and you cannot prevent monkeys from commenting on sports

He's so-so, tbh... :lol

Mel_13
04-02-2014, 05:05 PM
oh and fuck tbh

it has been a while I didn't post anything about parker or engage trolls / tp haters on a thread...

oh well... :depressed

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have our limits.

Brazil
04-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have our limits.

:lol

I kinda miss tjastal or whatever his name he was quite entertaining as a tp hater.... and I thought he was bad with his trade parker for calderon...

Mel_13
04-02-2014, 05:18 PM

I kinda miss tjastal or whatever his name he was quite entertaining as a tp hater.... and I thought he was bad with his trade parker for calderon...

tj had his moments, but I thought that portnoy was responsible for the TP for Calderon idea. Then again, maybe it was TP for Bargnani. Anyway, I know that portnoy thought that Baron Davis was better than Tony.

ElNono
04-02-2014, 05:20 PM
When that BS rumor starting floating around that the Spurs wanted to dump RJ and would include Parker in the package, I thought there were some hilarious trade propositions :lol

Brazil
04-02-2014, 05:26 PM

tj had his moments, but I thought that portnoy was responsible for the TP for Calderon idea. Then again, maybe it was TP for Bargnani. Anyway, I know that portnoy thought that Baron Davis was better than Tony.

damn you have an awesome memory

:lol portnoy... I had forgotten about him but you probably right he was on the trade parker for calderon squad

wildchild
04-02-2014, 05:36 PM
yeah I maintain that, you are one of the worst tp hatertbh your 5 points don't make any sense. Read what has been posting by chinook, mel, evay or others (have a look at the last coach nick thread while you are at it) if your brain is slightly over the level of a monkey you will realize how stupid are your 5 points

If half of what you said was true, Spurs offense would be one of the shittest of the league. I love the can't find the open guy :lol when his bread and butter is penetrating and finding the open guy. It doesn't mean dude is perfect and doesn't have some brain farts once in a while, he obviously has his flaws but a healthy Parker is just fucking essential to the very well oiled offense especially in POs.

Mel is more educated than I am...so let's call a spade a spade you are a dumb poster

You can realize that a player couldn't be a playmaker and still be great for his team?
Well... maybe you can not. I understand your cognitive limitations.

You've mencioned all those guys but they have not convinced me -or anyone- that Tony is a great passer or a playmaker in the strict sense of the word/concept.

For the record, I'm not a Tony hater, or Manu hater, or some shit like that.
My favorite player is Tim Duncan, the rest of the guys are just the rest of the guys for me.

Dumb poster...oh you really hurt me... :cry

Brazil
04-02-2014, 05:56 PM
You can realize that a player couldn't be a playmaker and still be great for his team?
Well... maybe you can not. I understand your cognitive limitations.

You've mencioned all those guys but they have not convinced me -or anyone- that Tony is a great passer or a playmaker in the strict sense of the word/concept.

For the record, I'm not a Tony hater, or Manu hater, or some shit like that.
My favorite player is Tim Duncan, the rest of the guys are just the rest of the guys for me.

Dumb poster...oh you really hurt me... :cry

adjusting again I see :lmao

wildchild
04-02-2014, 06:07 PM

Not Tony Hater, just a a realistic assessment.

Brazil
04-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Not Tony Hater, just a a realistic assessment.

no that's a stupid and dumb statement coming from a TP hater... you find the hating part obvious on unwilling to share the ball

wildchild
04-02-2014, 06:31 PM
no that's a stupid and dumb statement coming from a TP hater... you find the hating part obvious on unwilling to share the ball

All the criticism Tony gets is because I hate him.
I criticize TP so I hate him.
Nice, really nice.

wildchild
04-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Oh wait...Once critized Pop...I hate Pop, too? Damn.....

gilmor
04-02-2014, 06:43 PM

The irony is that if Rondo is in the Spurs team, he will get bashed because he is competing with Manu all over again.. lol

Diego20
04-02-2014, 06:53 PM

If CP played for Spurs he would average more than 6 assist per game and you can't deny that. There are good guards and there are good scorers, CP is a good guard, TP is a good scorer (but also a good player).

Brazil
04-02-2014, 08:06 PM
All the criticism Tony gets is because I hate him.
I criticize TP so I hate him.
Nice, really nice.

lol nice critics dude is unwilling to share the ball

you are dumb on your comments