PDA

View Full Version : APD releases HelmetCam footage of shooting

Nbadan
04-01-2014, 11:35 PM
http://krqe.com/2014/03/21/video-apd-releases-helmetcam-footage-of-shooting/

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The video above depicts police events that are graphic. Viewers should watch at their

own risk.

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 05:01 AM
Murdering the guy was the ONLY solution, right police? :lol

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Police Confront Rising Number of Mentally Ill Suspects

In towns and cities across the United States, police officers find themselves playing dual roles as law enforcers and psychiatric social workers. County jails and state prisons have become de facto mental institutions; in New York, for instance, a surge of stabbings, beatings and other violence at Rikers Island has been attributed in part to an influx of mentally ill inmates, who respond erratically to discipline and are vulnerable targets for other prisoners. “Frequent fliers,” as mentally ill inmates who have repeated arrests are known in law enforcement circles, cycle from jail cells to halfway houses to the streets and back.

The problem has gotten worse in recent years, according to mental health and criminal justice experts, as state and local governments have cut back on mental health services for financial reasons. And with the ubiquity of video cameras — both in ordinary citizens’ hands and on police officer’s helmets and in cruisers — the public can more readily see what is going on and respond.

“I think that this issue hits every city, every part of the country where you have people who are walking on the street who normally would have been under some kind of treatment or institutionalized,”

police officers had by default become “the first line of contact” for severely troubled people who once might have gone to a community clinic or mental health crisis center.

the police in 2011 reported “an alarming spike in the number of mentally ill people coming in contact with the police on an almost daily basis.”

Treatment Advocacy Center and the National Sheriff’s Association, based on informal studies and accounts, estimated that half the number of people shot and killed by the police have mental health problems.

in Albuquerque, where since 2010, 37 people have been shot by the police, 23 of them fatally.

the police are there to help :lol

“Our reactions are based on the actions of people,” Mr. Willoughby said, setting up a dynamic that often leaves the officer no alternative but to use “a strong hand.”

mayor of Albuquerque, Richard J. Berry, defended the police force “I saw the department act with professionalism and restraint throughout the day.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/us/police-shootings-of-mentally-ill-suspects-are-on-the-upswing.html

CosmicCowboy
04-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Holy shit! No reason at all to shoot the guy. He was outnumbered and clearly had nothing in his hands.

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Holy shit! No reason at all to shoot the guy. He was outnumbered and clearly had nothing in his hands.

he was prostrate, they kept shooting, just in case he could still throw a knife 40 feet or so.

DisAsTerBot
04-02-2014, 09:05 AM
i like how they are loaded up with military gear/weapons

pgardn
04-02-2014, 09:21 AM
They did not at all sound comfortable with the situation. Almost like they were too casual before and someone got hurt trying to do the job. They may have had background info on the guy. It clearly looks they were following specific procedure. This is not cops gone wild imo, it's cops following some procedure.

Way too much unknown for anyone to be making static assumptions from just this video. Myself included.

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 09:32 AM
They did not at all sound comfortable with the situation. Almost like they were too casual before and someone got hurt trying to do the job. They may have had background info on the guy. It clearly looks they were following specific procedure. This is not cops gone wild imo, it's cops following some procedure.

Way too much unknown for anyone to be making static assumptions from just this video. Myself included.

heavily armed, body-armored swat team murders mentally ill guy with a knife. their "procedure" sucks.

pgardn
04-02-2014, 09:50 AM
heavily armed, body-armored swat team murders mentally ill guy with a knife. their "procedure" sucks.

Im not walking out on a possible meth head without all that.
You go talk him down.
This is a violent country, cops and paramedics walk into family situations called in that turn bad for the negotiators.
I personally want none of that. But if I had to walk into these situations frequently damn straight I want body armor.
I have a family.

RandomGuy
04-02-2014, 12:04 PM
http://krqe.com/2014/03/21/video-apd-releases-helmetcam-footage-of-shooting/

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The video above depicts police events that are graphic. Viewers should watch at their

own risk.

So the dude was confronting police with a knife in each hand, and got treated as if he was dangerous?

Tell me why I am supposed to be worried about police confronting armed people?

CosmicCowboy
04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I still don't see any knives in the video and he was moving away from the officers when they shot him in the back. How is that justified?

I'm not saying the guy was playing with a full deck and he should have followed their orders but that was some serious overkill. He was probably disoriented by the flash/bang.

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
for cops, the first and only solution it to kill

boutons_deux
04-02-2014, 12:48 PM

... knowing the Blue Wall of cop solidarity will excuse, hide any cop crimes

pgardn
04-02-2014, 06:42 PM

You sleep on a huge blanket.

RandomGuy
04-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I still don't see any knives in the video and he was moving away from the officers when they shot him in the back. How is that justified?

I'm not saying the guy was playing with a full deck and he should have followed their orders but that was some serious overkill. He was probably disoriented by the flash/bang.

Dude had a knife in one of his hands, it was fairly obvious.

SnakeBoy
04-03-2014, 02:29 AM
So the dude was confronting police with a knife in each hand, and got treated as if he was dangerous?

Tell me why I am supposed to be worried about police confronting armed people?

They had taser shotguns pointed at the guy, bean bag shotguns pointed at the guy, and a canine on the seen. Their first choice was lethal force when no officer was in immediate danger. That should worry you.

I usually try to see the police point of view first but no way in hell that was justified.

SnakeBoy
04-03-2014, 02:45 AM
What is going on in Albuquerque? Your guide to the police shooting protest
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/03/31/what-is-going-on-in-albuquerque-your-guide-to-the-police-shooting-protest/

The number of fatal shootings by police in Albuquerque stands out in part because of the city’s size. In New York, for example, police killed nearly the same number of people (25) over two years (2011 and 2012) as the Albuquerque police did in four years. But New York has about 15 times as many residents as Albuquerque.

SnakeBoy
04-03-2014, 02:48 AM
FBI investigating police shooting of camper
http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_25441873/fbi-investigating-police-shooting-camper

MannyIsGod
04-03-2014, 04:49 PM
The police here are fucking crazy. Can't wait to get back to fucking Texas where everyone has a gun but this shit doesn't happen.

hater
04-03-2014, 04:58 PM
:lmao even the dog was like, what the fuck did you guys do?

Nbadan
04-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Dude had a knife in one of his hands, it was fairly obvious.

They also clearly had non lethal options that should have been used first G....the dude had a 4 inch knife and was turning away from the police when they fired the flash grenade and shot him in the back...

angrydude
04-04-2014, 03:11 AM
New Mexico cops are out of control. Bunch of scared pussies with itchy trigger fingers. Whatever happened to tasers anyway?

DD
04-04-2014, 03:19 AM
Not shedding a tear when a mentally ill person bites the dust. The less of them there are the better

The Reckoning
04-04-2014, 08:54 AM
did boutons just quote himself?

GoodOdor
04-04-2014, 09:31 AM
The guy was mentally ill, sure, but I expect 3 cops with military gear to be able to take down a guy without having to kill him.

boutons_deux
04-04-2014, 09:39 AM
The guy was mentally ill, sure, but I expect 3 cops with military gear to be able to take down a guy without having to kill him.

sure, but that's not what cops do. They kill first (it's why they become sicko cops), then hide behind the Blue Wall.

MannyIsGod
04-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Not shedding a tear when a mentally ill person bites the dust. The less of them there are the better

Oh shit you must work for APD.

DD
04-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Oh shit you must work for APD.

lol no...I work in the medical field and we all hate psych patients. They take up beds and take ambulances out of service that otherwise could go to people with real acute medical problems.