PDA

View Full Version : Postgame: Gregg Popovich on Streak and Thunder's intensity

04-04-2014, 04:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deaPTT6ieC8

Sorry if it's been posted already

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Wow, Pop is amazingly calm after losing the regular season championship to the Thunder.

04-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Screaming A. Smith dropping truff bombs from 6:30 onward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59rg89dDzB4

r0drig0lac
04-04-2014, 05:05 PM
bluffing

04-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Wow, Pop is amazingly calm after losing the regular season championship to the Thunder.
I'm surprised he's not pissed. I mean, how sweet would it have been to hang that regular season championship bann- oh wait :lol

Sean Cagney
04-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Screaming A. Smith dropping truff bombs from 6:30 onward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59rg89dDzB4

That is one of the best segments I have seen from Stephen and he was very composed there.

heyheymymy
04-04-2014, 05:54 PM
is that blair in the "thunderstruck" graphic? cmon espn...

Solid D
04-04-2014, 06:33 PM

:smokin

Screaming A. Smith dropping truff bombs

Stephen A-men!

SpursFan86
04-04-2014, 06:56 PM
I particularly agree with Pop's comments about not matching OKC's intensity. They made us look soft out there.

Blizzardwizard
04-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Skip jumping off the bandwagon after 1 loss in 20 games :lol

Why is it that I'd much rather have Stephen A. as the Spurs homer than Skip?

04-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Skip jumping off the bandwagon after 1 loss in 20 games :lol

Why is it that I'd much rather have Stephen A. as the Spurs homer than Skip?
The other day Skip was also saying how he wasn't impressed with the streak and Stephen A. dropped some more truth bombs. I usually like Skip, because he calls out the refs and supports the Spurs, but it seems they've switched roles recently.

Splits
04-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Even Hollywood loves Pop

http://i.imgur.com/jLRX0gr.gif

Russ
04-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Funny how the Spurs had adequate intensity during the prior 19 game winning streak, but suddenly they lack it vs. OKC.

Makes you almost think Pop meant "athletic ability" when he said the Spurs lack "intensity."

Do you turn the ball over 18 times because you lack intensity or because you're getting bumrushed by quicker players.

That said, I think Pop has the right approach -- you can't tell your team they don't match up because that will kill their confidence.

You have to blame them for their own good (even if you don't believe it) to preserve their psyches.

I still think the Spurs can beat OKC, but I doubt they have ever lacked intensity, just the ability to execute when faced with that kind of opposition.

Adjustments are needed. And that's not just on the players, it's on the coach too. Fortunately, the Spurs have one of the best.

:flag:

04-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Funny how the Spurs had adequate intensity during the prior 19 game winning streak, but suddenly they lack it vs. OKC.

Makes you almost think Pop meant "athletic ability" when he said the Spurs lack "intensity."

Do you turn the ball over 18 times because you lack intensity or because you're getting bumrushed by quicker players.

That said, I think Pop has the right approach -- you can't tell your team they don't match up because that will kill their confidence.

You have to blame them for their own good (even if you don't believe it) to preserve their psyches.

I still think the Spurs can beat OKC, but I doubt they have ever lacked intensity, just the ability to execute when faced with that kind of opposition.

Adjustments are needed. And that's not just on the players, it's on the coach too. Fortunately, the Spurs have one of the best.

lol this is the NBA, where the best of the best athletes play. To blame our loss last night on lack of athletic ability, when we previously beat 19 other NBA teams (including MIA, IND, etc) in a row, is asinine.

OKC got away with playing very physical, but we also beat ourselves by fumbling the ball on passes, passing too much, and just looking like a team that was playing it's fifth game in 7 days.

Like you, come the playoffs I believe we'll have made the necessary adjustments to beat this OKC team. We just can't afford to beat ourselves, or the Thunderefs will definitely make us pay.

8FOR!3
04-04-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm surprised Stephen A. name dropped Larry Brown lol. Greatest coach of all time tbh.

TheGoldStandard
04-04-2014, 08:58 PM
The Spurs hurt themselves each time they play OKC, they think that this game is somehow different than any other game they have played. They play out of character and with fear and it makes no sense whatsoever.

04-04-2014, 09:04 PM
The Spurs hurt themselves each time they play OKC, they think that this game is somehow different than any other game they have played. They play out of character and with fear and it makes no sense whatsoever.
In the playoffs, I feel if we can win the first game in OKC we'll be good for the rest of the series and won't play so timid. That is, if the refs don't take us out first.

TheGoldStandard
04-04-2014, 09:25 PM
In the playoffs, I feel if we can win the first game in OKC we'll be good for the rest of the series and won't play so timid. That is, if the refs don't take us out first.

The level of execution is going to have to go up. Way too many players standing around watching the ball rather than blocking out and attacking the rebound. The thing that drives me the most nuts is not taking open shots, dribbling into defenses. Diaw is the most notorious for this when he catches the ball on the perimeter and his guy is 5 feet away but he insists on pump faking allowing his defender to closeout and then go into a more difficult shot. Not to mention he could post up and look to score against most 3s and 4s but he opts to dish the ball out.

Horry Hipcheck
04-04-2014, 09:55 PM

With HCA and assuming this WCF happens (the Spurs will have to get through Houston and OKC will have to get through LA), the Spurs MUST win Games 1 and 2. Absolutely must. Winning 4 of 7 against that Thunder team will require nothing short of flawless execution and tenacity for 48 minutes, and tbh the officiating must be equal. The Spurs can get blamed for lacking intensity but when the calls aren't coming in the paint and Kawhi's getting hit with 3 early ones, the natural response is going to be to back off.

04-04-2014, 10:11 PM
With HCA and assuming this WCF happens (the Spurs will have to get through Houston and OKC will have to get through LA), the Spurs MUST win Games 1 and 2. Absolutely must.
That's what I was going to type at first, and then i remembered we won the first two games at home in the 2012 WCF. I'm not taking winning at home for granted, but I feel like that won't be as big of an issue as beating reflahoma in their house, with their crowd, and their refs. If they win two at home, they'll have all the momentum just like 2012. We have to beat them on the road, ideally, in blowout fashion to send a morale blow to their role players.

Winning 4 of 7 against that Thunder team will require nothing short of flawless execution and tenacity for 48 minutes, and tbh the officiating must be equal. The Spurs can get blamed for lacking intensity but when the calls aren't coming in the paint and Kawhi's getting hit with 3 early ones, the natural response is going to be to back off.This this this

We're one of the best teams in the league at not fouling, but when we play the Thunderrefs we magically become undisciplined :lol i see a lot of people call us soft when we play the Thunder, but when our guys can't touch them, that's the results we're gonna get.

tbh I don't see the reffing being equal, but somehow, someway, I believe we'll persevere and win in 7. That is, if we beat the Rockets who are criminally underrated on here.

If we get #5 this year, I believe, it'll be the toughest one we've won.

Horry Hipcheck
04-04-2014, 10:22 PM
That is, if we beat the Rockets who are criminally underrated on here.

If we get #5 this year, I believe, it'll be the toughest one we've won.

Beating the Rockets in the semis would hardly be a guarantee. Easier than the Thunder, I think, but a lot of people act as though it's already said and done.

cd98
04-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Spurs were botching layups bc they were too worried about getting blocked. And the played passive defense.

look_at_g_shred
04-05-2014, 01:11 AM
Agree ^^

#2!
04-05-2014, 02:37 AM
It was a weird game all around for the spurs, and for Pop in particular. If he wanted the team to play more intensely then he did some strange things.
-Hampering the team by taking out Manu, but allowing Tony to play bc "Tony wanted to." As if Manu didn't also tell Pop that he wanted to play.
-Playing unusual lineups like the one that started the third, or playing Duncan, Diaw, and Splitter all at once (also during the third, I believe).
-Mentioning that he doesn't really care if they lose. I'm sure he's said it plenty of times but it seemed like unusual timing to say it when the other team is making a run.
-Only playing Tony 25 minutes

IMO those are all things that would hamper a team's intensity level. Gotta play better, gotta coach better.

Russ
04-05-2014, 08:15 AM
To blame our loss last night on lack of athletic ability, when we previously beat 19 other NBA teams (including MIA, IND, etc) in a row, is asinine.

I beg to differ -- I don't think it's choking, I think it's just running into superior athleticism.

The Spurs are way too savvy and experienced to choke, they're just getting beat.

Choking generally shows up in much lower three point % -- the Spurs hit 9-20 or 40.9 %. That ain't choking. (OKC only hit 6-18 or 33%.)

The problem was the 18 turnovers that, IMO, were the result of OKC's superior quickness and athleticism. The same perimeter ball movement that usually works just backfired due to OKC's ability, not the Spurs' failure.

But you can still adjust -- even to superior athleticism -- and still win.

wildbill2u
04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
The problem isn't just quickness and athleticism by itself. It's what they DO with those advantages. They close fast, they double team, they rough us up, they get steals and blocks and deflections.

Meanwhile we still try to drive into a lane that's filled with defenders. Teams have learned that Tony is less effective if they clog the lane because he will still try to drive into the teeth of their defense. That is his game and works against teams when we can spread the floor with our 3 Pt. shooters. But if our shooters are off or are timid about a quick catch and shoot, then we are in trouble.

Sybok
04-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Parker going hero is why they lost. They stopped moving the ball to anyone but Tim and Tony. I get it that Tony has to penetrate and earn outside shots but how many trips in a row did that move fail?

Horse
04-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Maybe they turn it over 18 times cause the thunder can rape our players and never get called. How many reggie jackson, russell westbrook shoulder blocks turned into dunks?

spurs10
04-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Maybe they turn it over 18 times cause the thunder can rape our players and never get called. How many reggie jackson, russell westbrook shoulder blocks turned into dunks?
Plus Tim Duncan getting pushed from behind and he gets a technical.

InRareForm
04-05-2014, 12:44 PM
That is one of the best segments I have seen from Stephen and he was very composed there.

i agree 100%. wow. It is like a different person that segment.

silverblk mystix
04-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Actually, Skip had all the truth bombs in that segment.

Why is pop not getting called out for being a pussy and his team following suit?

Why is pop sitting Manu and dicking around with lineups when the team is rolling and on the best rhythm of the entire season?

Why would anyone be surprised that Pop would choke first and his team would follow?

This is classic vintage choking Pop just in time for the playoffs.

Blake
04-05-2014, 06:20 PM
All the Popsuckers that scoffed and tried to ridicule me when I said that Pop is still the biggest obstacle to the Spurs winning a title....what is the reasoning now?Where is the Coach of the year?Bonner still the first "big" off the bench...No sight of a TD/Tiago pairing....Blair...6'7'' starting center ...Being embarrassed by MIKE BROWN....MIKE FUCKIN' BROWN!McRoberts posterizing Bonner....Pop pulls Bonner...Pop puts Bonner right back in...GENIUS!No One on the Spurs with any desire...any fire...any balls...and Coach Pop didn't change anything...just kept the same rotation...the same everything....This is what the Playoffs have in store...and this is exactly what happened last season...Pop has had two seasons now with Splitter...and in two seasons...he has not been able to "find time" to try and integrate his only two players approaching 7 feet....this is the NBA where being tall is something that can't be taught...on top of that Splitter is not just some "serviceable' "blue collar" role player...he can actually be an asset by his mere presence on the court with his vision, passing, and basketball IQ...but fuckhead coach has pissed away two seasons....This seasons playoffs are just about here and fuckhead coach is right on cue to get embarrassed again....COTY....:lmao

Horry Hipcheck
04-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Only ST can take one of the greatest coaches in league history, personally responsible for cultivating an environment of fundamental team play and milking years out of Duncan's aging legs, and being able to utilize countless role players for a system that has won the franchise 4 NBA titles, 5 Western titles, 11 Division titles, 15 consecutive 50 win seasons, 17 consecutive playoff appearances, and what will be their third 60 win season - as of tomorrow night - and piss it all away on being butthurt because Pop didn't step on the Thunder's throats in a meaningless road game on the second night of a back to back, in which Duncan and Parker only suited up because they begged Pop to let them play, and because his Spurs aren't currently the two time defending champion.

I'd say that the fact that the Spurs are going into this year's playoffs as a No. 1 seed with their Big 3 combining for 104 years of age after 17 goddamn years of consistent excellence is miraculous, but it isn't; it's because Pop knows what the fuck he's doing and sometimes a decision blows up in his face.

heyheymymy
04-06-2014, 12:21 AM
ST has no respect for pop. he did a cia move and didn't want to give any useful tape to the thunder.

exstatic
04-06-2014, 07:52 AM
ST has no respect for pop. he did a cia move and didn't want to give any useful tape to the thunder.

Not to mention that he forced Scott Brooks' hand by playing Tim and Tony. If they sit, chances are that Brooks sits Westbrick and they beat us anyway. Then, Westbrick plays against Houston, and they win that game, too. That didn't happen.

BillMc
04-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Not to mention that he forced Scott Brooks' hand by playing Tim and Tony. If they sit, chances are that Brooks sits Westbrick and they beat us anyway. Then, Westbrick plays against Houston, and they win that game, too. That didn't happen.

I agree.

playbonner15
04-06-2014, 09:10 AM
"They figured out my Gimmick Offense. Oh well, hope we don't face Thunder in the playoffs" :pop:

TampaDude
04-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Pop didn't care because he knew Houston was going to beat OKC the next night. :p:

Russ
05-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Pop goes to the lack of effort, lack of "intensity" card every time the Thunder overrun the Spurs. He did it again Monday night. He's becoming a Johnny one note.

Even Brooks makes adjustments -- Thabo on Tony in the 3rd game of '12 -- four straight wins after that.

Then Brooks took Thabo off Tony in the 3rd game this year -- blowout win after that. Brilliant? Probably not, but it seemed to give his team more confidence when things looked bleak and they desperately needed it (0-2 in both cases).

Brooks has a stacked deck against the Spurs due to matchups. Pop is at a disadvantage.

But that doesn't let Pop off the hook. He's the Coach of the Year. He's in a position to just sit on the sidelines and criticize "effort" or take clever shots at the other side's dishonesty.

Or Pop can put his well-deserved reputation on the line, roll the dice and try to change the dynamic. Whatever he does, now is the time.

therealtruth
05-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Pop goes to the lack of effort, lack of "intensity" card every time the Thunder overrun the Spurs. He did it again Monday night. He's becoming a Johnny one note.

Even Brooks makes adjustments -- Thabo on Tony in the 3rd game of '12 -- four straight wins after that.

Then Brooks took Thabo off Tony in the 3rd game this year -- blowout win after that. Brilliant? Probably not, but it seemed to give his team more confidence when things looked bleak and they desperately needed it (0-2 in both cases).

Brooks has a stacked deck against the Spurs due to matchups. Pop is at a disadvantage.

But that doesn't let Pop off the hook. He's the Coach of the Year. He's in a position to just sit on the sidelines and criticize "effort" or take clever shots at the other side's dishonesty.

Or Pop can put his well-deserved reputation on the line, roll the dice and try to change the dynamic. Whatever he does, now is the time.

Brooks has 2 of the top 5 in the NBA but the Spurs are better overall 1-8.

Russ
05-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Has Pop given up?

This morning Skip Bayless (who has some Spurs inside sources) said Pop seemed resigned rather than defiant about the Spurs situation before Game 4.

His post-game presser seemed bitter. Like a post-series press conference, rather than post-game.

Come on Pop, at least go out with your boots on. :)

TheGoldStandard
05-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Has Pop given up?

This morning Skip Bayless (who has some Spurs inside sources) said Pop seemed resigned rather than defiant about the Spurs situation before Game 4.

His post-game presser seemed bitter. Like a post-series press conference, rather than post-game.

Come on Pop, at least go out with your boots on. :)

With a team full of cowards I guess it trickles down from the top. Old vets live on past glories with no much to motivate them to try harder.

therealtruth
05-27-2014, 11:20 PM
With a team full of cowards I guess it trickles down from the top. Old vets live on past glories with no much to motivate them to try harder.

If he's scared, they're all scared.

TheGoldStandard
05-27-2014, 11:22 PM
If he's scared, they're all scared.

Then they need to call it quits.