Boomersgold
04-05-2014, 08:02 AM
A breakdown of the game by Coach Nick at BballBreakdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXMkHXsNGk&list=UUSpvjDk06HLxBaw8sZw7SkA

Link to the video in case you can't see it in the post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXMkHXsNGk&list=UUSpvjDk06HLxBaw8sZw7SkA

Boomersgold
04-05-2014, 08:03 AM
EDIT: Anyone know why the video isn't showing in the post?

Baam
04-05-2014, 08:13 AM
It's showing just fine...

Not very encouraging stuff tbh, his only reason for not being super worried for the Spurs were Manu and homecourt... Very skeptical about Manu being the key against a team that plays the passing lanes like that... Then we're left with homecourt...

RD2191
04-05-2014, 08:44 AM
No Manu, back to back, Kawhi in early foul trouble which means Green had to be used KD which in turn allowed both KD and Russ to go off. Nothing more to it. OKC is a young team and even they looked like shit on their back to back last night.

Old School 44
04-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Coach Nick's breakdowns are great! Thanks for posting. The key to the OKC beating the Spurs is their overall defensive team speed led by Ibaka. I did think it was interesting that Coach Nick pointed out the physical play the Thunder got a way with during the game. Nice defense by the Thunder, it's no secret really what the Spurs run, OKC is just one of the few teams that have the personnel to disrupt it.

dbreiden83080
04-05-2014, 09:00 AM
The fact that James Harden is no longer on the team gives them a very good chance to beat them in seven-game series.

Russ
04-05-2014, 09:01 AM
". . . the stone-handed Splitter. . . " :lol

We still love ya Tiago. :flag:

Bill_Brasky
04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
We turn into a team of Boris Diaws when we play the Thunder. Shoot the fucking thing.

Mel_13
04-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks for posting.

The Thunder are one of the few teams, maybe the only one, that can pack the paint against the Spus and retain the ability to get out and challenge their shooters. I'm not sure there's a real great solution for that, other than settling for good instead of always looking for great. Running more offense eventually exposes weaknesses in almost every defense in the NBA. Not so much with the Thunder.

Giving up 30 points off of 19 turnovers is a problem that can, however, be minimized. Ball security is always important in the playoffs, it will be absolutely critical in a series with OKC.

Sybok
04-05-2014, 09:50 AM
OKC played good defense, but that didn't cause the mistakes on offense or Spurs defense. There were some blown calls, as always, but you take that risk if you're playing aggressively and sometimes it pays off.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-05-2014, 09:58 AM
As usual it all comes down to the refs. The Spurs and Thunder are way too closely matched for biased officiating to not matter. A call or two here or there can basically swing momentum and decide entire games or even entire series.

If OKC is allowed to knock Tony down or trip Patty up without being called for it while KD gets his usual +6 ticky tack free throw advantage, then OKC wins. Period.

tmtcsc
04-05-2014, 10:08 AM
All that and the Spurs were up at halftime. The difference in this game was the 3rd quarter where the Spurs let the game get out of hand with turnovers.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-05-2014, 10:10 AM
All that and the Spurs were up at halftime. The difference in this game was the 3rd quarter where the Spurs let the game get out of hand with turnovers.

At least two of those turnovers were actually fouls on OKC that weren't called (the shove on Parker to a layup and the tripping of Patty Mills in route to another layup).

Amuseddaysleeper
04-05-2014, 10:28 AM

That and a terrible lineup to start the third quarter.

Budkin
04-05-2014, 10:32 AM
That and a terrible lineup to start the third quarter.

CIA POP?

playbonner15
04-05-2014, 10:53 AM
CIA POP?
Nope. Gimick offense exposed by Presti tbh :wakeup

Capt Bringdown
04-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Depressing. Spurs look soft, both mentally and physically vs the Thunder.

BadOne
04-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Nope. Gimick offense exposed by Presti tbh :wakeup

Agreed. You could almost see the moment that Brooks figured out the key to disrupting the Spurs offense in the second half of game 2 of the 2012 WCF. Even though we won THAT game, it was all down hill from there.

On another note, did anyone else notice how much Beli was playing like crap? I think this among other issues compounded the problem.

04-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Nope. Gimick offense exposed by Presti tbh :wakeupif it was a gimmick offense how come everyone hasn't hasn't stopped it? Why were we a free throw away from winning and NBA world championship last June?

Depressing. Spurs look soft, both mentally and physically vs the Thunder.The Thunder were getting away with murder and we were getting called for breathing on guys. Jesus, what do you expect?

Agreed. You could almost see the moment that Brooks figured out the key to disrupting the Spurs offense in the second half of game 2 of the 2012 WCF. Even though we won THAT game, it was all down hill from there.

On another note, did anyone else notice how much Beli was playing like crap? I think this among other issues compounded the problem.
Marco needs Manu. This is old news.

r0drig0lac
04-05-2014, 12:06 PM
The Thunder were getting away with murder and we were getting called for breathing on guys. Jesus, what do you expect?

this, but let's pretend it was not the main factor at the turn of the 3rd period game, and believe that only the athletics thunder killed the Spurs

cd021
04-05-2014, 12:28 PM
No Manu, back to back, Kawhi in early foul trouble which means Green had to be used KD which in turn allowed both KD and Russ to go off. Nothing more to it. OKC is a young team and even they looked like shit on their back to back last night.

thats sums it up pretty well.

InRareForm
04-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Spurs vs Thunder is a virtual coin flip especially with Spurs HCA.

SpursRock20
04-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Truth of the matter is that the Spurs offense looked nothing like we have come to expect in the previous month. They looked like an entirely different team and seemed utterly surprised with the Thunder's pressure on the ball. Now, hopefully, this is just a product of lack of rest and Manu being out of the lineup along with the fact that Leonard was not on the court during a pivotal part of the game. However, if they end up playing OKC in the WCF, they will have to make some adjustments come playoff time if they want to beat this team.

To me, they will need to tweak their offensive gameplan just a bit. I know that the Spurs offense is predicated on throwing the extra pass, but it was useless on quite a few possessions Thursday night, simply because of the Thunder's speed. The shooters will have to be willing to take partially contested shots, instead of looking for the wide open shot every possession because those simply don't exist against the Thunder.

Skull-1
04-05-2014, 01:30 PM
We turn into a team of Boris Diaws when we play the Thunder. Shoot the fucking thing.

chazley
04-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Here's what that clip DOESN'T show you.

Kawhi did an INCREDIBLE job on Durant, and on top of it looked aggressive offensively. Very encouraging.

Thunder should've been down ~9 points at half but took and made two very low-% shots that went in

10 point game with ~6 minutes left and Pop refused to put in his starters.

Alot of the tape shown was with our second unit. Manu didn't play, and he's our playmaker on that second unit.

We won NINETEEN GAMES IN A ROW. If you are down after ONE loss I have serious doubts about your basketball knowledge. Sure, it came against the Thunder which sucks, but the Spurs were JUST FINE against the best defense in the league (Indiana) and the most athletic defense in the league (Miami)

Texas_Ranger
04-05-2014, 01:50 PM
too many soft players.

quentin_compson
04-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Very interesting video, thanks for posting.

moisaenz
04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
8 v 5

hater
04-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Tbh we led in the 1st half because thunda were missing wide open shots. Once they started to hit their shots. It was game over

said7
04-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Thunder like to put Perkins or Collison on duncan to keep Ibaka out of foul trouble. I would like to see Diaw or Splitter post him up or run iso.

The biggest thing i noticed was that secondary interior pass that we do so well (especially splitter). Is taken away by the Thunders speed on Defence. You either have to put up the first shot or kick for a midrange shot.

CitizenDwayne
04-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I don't see Spurs/Thunder as a "coin toss". Thunder have had our number, that's just the way it is.

We either have to hope to Christ we don't meet them in the PO, or the team has to get over their fear of the Thunder. The latter would be nice.

BatManu20
04-05-2014, 04:30 PM
The Spurs CAN handle the Thunder in a 7 game series, it's just going to take HCA, everyone being healthy, and our role players not shitting the bed on the road against them like they often do. Fair officiating wouldn't hurt, either.

elemento
04-05-2014, 04:34 PM
To me it's a matter of athleticism + youth. They also defend the P&R very well and Ibaka doesn't make things easy for Parker when he attacks the rim.

I think SA can beat OKC in the playoffs, but they're gonna need their key guys to have a great series and I include all the role players here.

spurtech09
04-05-2014, 05:06 PM
I will make it simple foe everyone in this thread.....spurs ran out of GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
b2b games....one game doesn't mean anything

JonNOKC
04-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Being at both games in OKC - especially the last one (where I was sitting in the nose bleed seats) you really see how the Thunder change shots the Spurs players are use to getting against other teams. A HUGE key is spacing and it wasn't very good on Thursday night. I personally always prefer getting a little more space when I shoot threes even if that means being a couple feet behind the line. I think the Spurs might have more success extending their spacing a little. I also think the mid range game is important (Kawhi had success) so maybe shoot a few less threes give the shot fake and step inside the line, and the Spurs have to be able to find ways to attack basket while limiting turnovers. The Thunder are a bad matchup but I think there are small adjustments that can be made to help Spurs have more success offensively.

UZER
04-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Posted this in another thread...

Ibaka wants to block everything and jumps all over the place. They need to exploit his over aggressiveness by stopping mid drive and up fake when he switched off to the guard on the pnr, or stop a few feet from the basket when hes helping from the weak side D.

They play right into his shot blocking when they go all the way to the hole because he knows exactly where to meet the ball at the glass.

They also need to back door the over aggressiveness on the perimeter and get to the free through line area and attack the D from there. Cant be consistently effective going all the way to the hole against this team.

RD2191
04-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Is there a Why the Heat can't handle the Nets?

MeloHype
04-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Is there a Why the Heat can't handle the Nets?
:cry coasting

RD2191
04-05-2014, 07:54 PM
:cry coasting

:lol

Pako
04-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Pop wont show his card until post season. Parker was not aggressive during the game. I still think Spurs is a better team than okc...

04-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Excluding the refs, I'm more worried about the Rockets than the Thunder. Prime SG + Prime big man bring back any bad memories for you guys? Fortunately, they don't have Phil Jackson.

therealtruth
04-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Pop wont show his card until post season. Parker was not aggressive during the game. I still think Spurs is a better team than okc...

Just like in 2012 when he got backdoor swept.

wildcardX
04-05-2014, 11:37 PM
The Thunder didn't look like the same team that played the Spurs the following night in Houston. It's not like the Rockets played great defense. Also how does a team like Dallas give OKC a difficult match up in their games this year. What do they do that gave them those wins? They're no more an athletic team than the Spurs.

Sean Cagney
04-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Depressing. Spurs look soft, both mentally and physically vs the Thunder.

What is funny is the Thunder look just like that vs the Heat, no match.
The Thunder didn't look like the same team that played the Spurs the following night in Houston. It's not like the Rockets played great defense. Also how does a team like Dallas give OKC a difficult match up in their games this year. What do they do that gave them those wins? They're no more an athletic team than the Spurs.

Yep, but the Spurs are a horrible matchup for Dallas it seems! Things are weird at times.
I don't see Spurs/Thunder as a "coin toss". Thunder have had our number, that's just the way it is.

We either have to hope to Christ we don't meet them in the PO, or the team has to get over their fear of the Thunder. The latter would be nice.

That is all it about boils down to! Atleast last year we beat them twice! This year none! The year they beat us in the playoffs we matched up okay as well until the back door sweep, before that the Spurs used to beat them in the season series every year. This year it seems is where it really went south vs them. They need to get on their Game again and truly believe they can and will beat them.

Horry Hipcheck
04-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Just like in 2012 when he got backdoor swept.

Games 4 and 5 of that series were competitive tossups, and we all know the bullshit-fest that was Game 6. OKC just couldn't miss for shit. It's not like Pop got exposed.

heyheymymy
04-06-2014, 12:24 AM
okc are in the spurs heads, but when the game matters, without harden, okc is gonna get hit with everything spurs got and i think with hca and a break from the refs and spurs take care of biz in the postseason.

Russ
04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
What is funny is the Thunder look just like that vs the Heat, no match.

Yep, but the Spurs are a horrible matchup for Dallas it seems! Things are weird at times.

You can look for matchups across the Spurs lineup with opponent squads, analyze each position and try to come to some overall conclusion.

Bottom line -- teams that stop Parker match up well against the Spurs. For the past ten years. Simple as that.

benefactor
04-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Westbrook will shoot them out of the series. I'll bump this thread when that prophecy is fulfilled.

T Park
04-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Excluding the refs, I'm more worried about the Rockets than the Thunder. Prime SG + Prime big man bring back any bad memories for you guys? Fortunately, they don't have Phil Jackson.

What prime big man do the Rockets have?

04-06-2014, 11:28 AM
What prime big man do the Rockets have?
We'll I guess 2009 was his prime, but dawhite is still among one of the best big men in the league. Even with us hacking him to pieces last year, he still had a good series.

spurs10
04-06-2014, 11:29 AM
The only game we played them full strength was the first. I don't know what is so hard about realizing our team can't play our best when we've played 5 games in 7 days and they've been resting for 4 days. Their streak lasted 1 game.

Old School 44
04-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks for posting.

The Thunder are one of the few teams, maybe the only one, that can pack the paint against the Spus and retain the ability to get out and challenge their shooters. I'm not sure there's a real great solution for that, other than settling for good instead of always looking for great. Running more offense eventually exposes weaknesses in almost every defense in the NBA. Not so much with the Thunder.

Giving up 30 points off of 19 turnovers is a problem that can, however, be minimized. Ball security is always important in the playoffs, it will be absolutely critical in a series with OKC.

Agree 100%. The Spurs need to understand passes they normally make and get by most teams, don't work as well against the Thunder. They're quick to the ball and quick to recover and imo have the best help defender in Ibaka. This allows perimeter defenders to be agressive and play up on our shooters.

The Spurs probably wouldn't admit to it, but sometimes there's a little bit of showmenship with their passing. It's almost as if their competing against each other to make the next great assist. Looks great when it's working, but is a recipe for disaster against a team as athletic as the Thunder.

Sybok
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Here's what that clip DOESN'T show you.

Kawhi did an INCREDIBLE job on Durant, and on top of it looked aggressive offensively. Very encouraging.

Thunder should've been down ~9 points at half but took and made two very low-% shots that went in

10 point game with ~6 minutes left and Pop refused to put in his starters.

Alot of the tape shown was with our second unit. Manu didn't play, and he's our playmaker on that second unit.

We won NINETEEN GAMES IN A ROW. If you are down after ONE loss I have serious doubts about your basketball knowledge. Sure, it came against the Thunder which sucks, but the Spurs were JUST FINE against the best defense in the league (Indiana) and the most athletic defense in the league (Miami)

Being upset at one loss out of 20 games isn't a sign of low basketball acumen. We aren't going to face most of the teams we beat in that 19 game run, in the playoffs. We know the hurdle is OKC. We think we can beat Miami if we get back there, and we aren't remotely afraid of any other Eastern team. The fact that we cannot pull out a win against OKC should be cause for concern if you have title hopes. If you just want to have a good RS record though, it's not an issue.

Hopefully the Spurs don't face OKC. Hopefully the Rockets and the Thunder face each other, then one of them faces the Clippers. If the Spurs get the Rockets or Thunder an any round, we could be in trouble.

Sybok
04-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Westbrook will shoot them out of the series. I'll bump this thread when that prophecy is fulfilled.

This is our only hope. We should let RW get some open looks so he goes off. That will keep others out of the picture. That way their defense might stagnate as well.

exstatic
04-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks for posting.

They only pack the paint when we dump it into the post to Tim or Tiago. Other than that, they play 3 guys out high to cover Parker and the two pickers, and two guys covering the corner shooters. The middle is wide open. That middle is the key to getting their defense to rotate, and the Spurs keys are Diaw and Manu. Both of them understand space more than about anyone in the league. You hit one of them cutting into that soft middle, and the defense has to react and rotate, or give up an 8 foot straight on jumper. That rotation, or double rotation if you can swing an extra pass is the key to uncovering shooters.

Sean Cagney
04-06-2014, 08:02 PM
You can look for matchups across the Spurs lineup with opponent squads, analyze each position and try to come to some overall conclusion.

Bottom line -- teams that stop Parker match up well against the Spurs. For the past ten years. Simple as that.

That is the truth.

ducks
04-06-2014, 11:22 PM
suns now have beaten them 2 out of three times
and tonight shot 50% from the free throw line

chazley
04-07-2014, 10:21 AM
We haven't played a single game against OKC this season at full strength. If you read too far into it, it is a mistake.

G-Dawgg
04-07-2014, 11:32 AM
The Spurs are clearly scared of OKC. They get stagefright every time the two teams meet. They start uncharacteristically throwing the ball away and turning the ball over, they start missing easy chips at the rim, and missing wide open jumpers that they normally hit in their sleep.. they clearly get over excited and rattled. They scramble around and just can't seem to execute. They are clearly intimidated. Parker seems to be the most rattled of the Spurs, and he's our engine, he's our quarterback.... The Spurs do not appear confident when they play OKC. They seem very tentative.

look_at_g_shred
06-01-2014, 01:44 AM
It's showing just fine...

Not very encouraging stuff tbh, his only reason for not being super worried for the Spurs were Manu and homecourt... Very skeptical about Manu being the key against a team that plays the passing lanes like that... Then we're left with homecourt...
Ouch bruh!

therealtruth
06-01-2014, 02:10 AM
Finally got rid of the 2012 WCF demons. Now to get rid of the game 6 ones.

Spurs 4 The Win
06-01-2014, 02:18 AM
CIA POP?

Pop actually admitted that not having Leonard in the lineup for most of the third was a CIA Pop move, crazy good call there by Budkin