PDA

View Full Version : Are we resigning Patty and for how much?

trev343
04-05-2014, 07:02 PM
I think hes gonna get paid this summer..... we gonna put up the money? I'm thinking 4 years around 26 million.

superjames1992
04-05-2014, 07:25 PM
4 years/$26 million? :lol

If he was offered that, then we should let him go without a second thought, tbh.

04-05-2014, 07:31 PM
4 years/$26 million? :lol

If he was offered that, then we should let him go without a second thought, tbh.

elveinte
04-05-2014, 07:31 PM
I think hes gonna get paid this summer..... we gonna put up the money? I'm thinking 4 years around 26 million.

I didn't know Patty had a ST account.

Manuismyhomeboy
04-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Because there isn't another thread on the first page that would suffice....

exstatic
04-05-2014, 08:22 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230999

Sean Cagney
04-05-2014, 11:55 PM
New posters at times SMH.... WOW.

heyheymymy
04-06-2014, 12:26 AM
it's tough to gauge a contract, but 4/26 is pretty far out and unrealistic.

MaNu4Tres
04-06-2014, 10:27 AM
2 year/ team option for 2nd year for 4 mil per (only way he'll get 4 mil per from SA if it's a short deal w/ team option for 2nd year IMO)

I think that's the longest the Spurs will be willing to offer due to: A) Parker and Leonard's upcoming extension (and possibly Green's), B) Their willingness to have as much space as possible to go after valuable players in Free Agency in summer of 15'-- considering the probability of Duncan/Manu retiring after next year ( which is high).

Spursfanfromafar
04-06-2014, 12:48 PM
I think Patty Mills will get the Matt Bonner treatment - 4 years, $14 million (last year unguaranteed and incentive laden). Should be good price for a sharpshooting and increasingly capable ball handler.

Baam
04-06-2014, 01:12 PM
:lol if they give him that kind of money I'll stop watching...

They didn't pay GHill, they have zero rational reason to pay Mills, PGs are pretty easy to find in the draft...

superjames1992
04-06-2014, 01:13 PM
:lol at paying out of your nose for a backup PG.

Mel_13
04-06-2014, 01:14 PM
:lol if they give him that kind of money I'll stop watching...

They didn't pay GHill, they have zero rational reason to pay Mills, PGs are pretty easy to find in the draft...

4yrs/14M <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 5yrs/40M

Baam
04-06-2014, 01:14 PM
:lol at paying out of your nose for a backup PG.

Who is 5"10 and can't really dribble to boot...

Mel_13
04-06-2014, 01:16 PM
I think Patty Mills will get the Matt Bonner treatment - 4 years, $14 million (last year unguaranteed and incentive laden). Should be good price for a sharpshooting and increasingly capable ball handler.

Bonner is a good comparison for Mills in the context of this discussion. Although I think 3yrs/9M would be about right for Mills.

Spursfanfromafar
04-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Bonner is a good comparison for Mills in the context of this discussion. Although I think 3yrs/9M would be about right for Mills.

The kid will go for more elsehwere if it is a 3M/yr contract for just three, I think. His numbers this year are much much higher than a number of fancied young PGs. He is just 25 and I think the Spurs will try to lock him up for further development by offering him market-value.

exstatic
04-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I think it depends on what they do in the draft. If a kid like Elfrid Payton drops to them or they decide to move up a bit to get him, you can probably kiss Paddy goodbye.

Spursfanfromafar
04-06-2014, 02:50 PM
I think it depends on what they do in the draft. If a kid like Elfrid Payton drops to them or they decide to move up a bit to get him, you can probably kiss Paddy goodbye.

Are sign-and-trades still allowed? Patty could be a great trade bait if they dont' want to sign him for long.

exstatic
04-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Are sign-and-trades still allowed? Patty could be a great trade bait if they dont' want to sign him for long.

Yes, but your options are limited. Paddy won't let us trade him to like the shitty Knicks or other bad teams. It's Paddy's choice to sign for the trade, or not.

TheyCallMePro
04-06-2014, 04:32 PM
It's going to take something like 3 years/15 million to re-sign Mills.

Unless some team wants him to be their starting PG. Then it would take something like 4 years/24 million, which the Spurs won't even consider paying him because they have Parker.

And a lot of you just don't get it. Patty is going to get paid. And Leonard and Parker are going to get MASSIVE extensions this summer. Oh, and that Boris Diaw guy.The Spurs have a lot of money to work with, as only Tiago is signed past 2015. So expect that the Spurs are going to be dishing out the dough this summer and cementing the future of this team going forward. A lot of decisions to make--do they keep Diaw or Mills, or both? And if they have to pay Mills as a starter and really love it him that much--then do they try to trade Parker? Maybe. We'll see.

keepinitwill
04-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Per 36 minutes this season...

19.6 pts
3.4 assists
4.0 rebounds
1.7 steals
1.5 to

I don't think that is too shabby at this point in his career. I hope we lock him up!

superjames1992
04-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Per 36 minutes this season...

19.6 pts
3.4 assists
4.0 rebounds
1.7 steals
1.5 to

I don't think that is too shabby at this point in his career. I hope we lock him up!
Assist numbers leave a lot to be desired, tbh. Manu, who isn't even a PG, averages 6.9 assists per 36 minutes, tbh........

3.4 assists per 36 minutes is atrocious for a point guard, tbh.

keepinitwill
04-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Assist numbers leave a lot to be desired, tbh. Manu, who isn't even a PG, averages 6.9 assists per 36 minutes, tbh........

3.4 assists per 36 minutes is atrocious for a point guard, tbh.

True, but I think he is asked to score a lot more in his role right now. Unless the Spurs change the way they play, we don't need a pass first PG imo.

Chinook
04-06-2014, 08:35 PM
I'd probably let him go if he wants a contract longer than one year. As Cory gets back in playoff mode, it seems like he has a real chance to be the PG they keep beyond next season. As impressive as Mills' production is, I think it's replaceable. I know I'm the only one here who thinks it, but I like Marcus Denmon to be the sixth guard next season. If he's not, the Spurs could be drafting a PG in June, and Mills doesn't make a ton of sense then.

exstatic
04-06-2014, 08:58 PM
I'd probably let him go if he wants a contract longer than one year. As Cory gets back in playoff mode, it seems like he has a real chance to be the PG they keep beyond next season. As impressive as Mills' production is, I think it's replaceable. I know I'm the only one here who thinks it, but I like Marcus Denmon to be the sixth guard next season. If he's not, the Spurs could be drafting a PG in June, and Mills doesn't make a ton of sense then.

25 year olds who post PERs north of 18 tend to get offers longer than one year.

Baam
04-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Depends if you consider him a PG or Nate Robinson 2.0 looking better than he's in the right situation...

ElNono
04-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Depends if you consider him a PG or Nate Robinson 2.0 looking better than he's in the right situation...

Nate Robinson used to make $4.5m/season at the peak of his career...

Chinook
04-06-2014, 09:05 PM

I know, which is why I'd be inclined to let him go.

SpurSwag
04-06-2014, 09:22 PM
If he wants 4 years 26 we have to let him go tbh, we can't afford to give our back up pg that much. Is he worth that much? Maybe. He definitely could put up big numbers on a team that has a hole at the point guard. But he's the guy that I feel like would definitely take a discount to stay with us, so i'm hoping something like 3 years 12 million or something. Would be a huge bargain for us, if slightly underpaying him, and if he proves himself worthy he could be the point guard of the future for us and get paid then. Kinda like how Manu has been getting overpaid lately to compensate a little for how long he was underpaid

SpurSwag
04-06-2014, 09:24 PM
And idk why anyone would critique his assist numbers, thats clearly not what he's asked to do in any capacity. His role is to be the spark off the bench and to drain shots.

On another note, patty is one of the best shot makers i've ever seen tbh and I'll take that with me to the grave. He just takes such contested shots and hits them many more times than not i feel.

Baam
04-06-2014, 09:32 PM
The problem is that we don't need two one dimensional SG in the first place, having both Patty and Beli makes little sense.

Can he get to the rim? No. Can he run an offense? Nope unless chucking 26 shots qualifies... Can he make a defensive impact? No. Can he play with TP? Not really he doesn't have the size of a combo guard...

It doesn't make sense to me...

Spursfanfromafar
04-06-2014, 10:38 PM
The thing about Patty is that he has shown incredible improvement from the time he has joined the Spurs. He hits pull up threes, plays within the system when required, gives his all in rebounding and full court defense, is a very good teammate and has checked all the boxes (and more) that the Spurs have asked of him. What is not to like? With Parker now 32 years old and injury prone, I think Patty will continue to be a good addition for the Spurs and they shouldn't afford to lose him.

Taking someone else like Marcus Denmon would require much much work to replicate the Patty performance. I think a 4 year 14 million contract is something that both parties should agree and if not, Spurs should push for a sign & trade if Patty seeks a much larger contract (which I don't think can happen). Mills, if he keeps this up and improves his court vision, he could be a longterm Parker replacement as well, as hard it is to predict the long run.

exstatic
04-06-2014, 10:50 PM
The problem is that we don't need two one dimensional SG in the first place, having both Patty and Beli makes little sense.

Can he get to the rim? No. Can he run an offense? Nope unless chucking 26 shots qualifies... Can he make a defensive impact? No. Can he play with TP? Not really he doesn't have the size of a combo guard...

It doesn't make sense to me...

He's MUCH better at getting to the rim this year. I don't even remember him driving into the paint once in his first two years here. If you run him off the line, and no one steps up to stop him, he'll shoot a little floater or a layup at the rim.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Why sign Patty for that much? I like Patty, but I think SA should go for Aaron Brooks as the backup PG which I suggested before the season started. Super athletic and quick, and can flat out score. Plus he's cheaper than that.

Drom John
04-07-2014, 12:33 PM
WS/48 for those with "Qualified Minutes"
1 Kevin Durant
2 Chris Paul
3 LeBron James
4 Kevin Love
5 Stephen Curry
6 James Harden
7 Anthony Davis
8 Blake Griffin
9 Dirk Nowitzki
10 Kyle Lowry
11 Goran Dragic
12 Kawhi Leonard
13 Joakim Noah
14 Manu Ginobili
15 DeAndre Jordan
16 Patrick Mills
17 Paul George
18 Andre Drummond
19 Andre Bogut
20 Robin Lopez

BillMc
04-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Patty is a great shooter and a great teammate. That has value. The problem is he's a willing but average (and short) defender, and not much of an offensive play maker. When Manu's gone we're going to need to budget in a true backup point guard because Patty is really an undersized shooting guard. So, there's a real limit, despite all the valuable things Patty does, to how much we should pay him.

Don't get me wrong. I really, really want Patty on this team. But he shouldn't get more than 3 million a year.

Darius Bieber
04-07-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't think we should resign him if it gets as much as OP suggested. Patty is a team-chemistry builder though, and an anti-cancer in the locker room. That alone should be reason enough for the Spurs to sign him again. Patty is a true Spur with his characteristics.