PDA

View Full Version : Will Manu be remembered or forgotten.

Gino-Step
04-06-2014, 11:23 PM
UPDATE: Manu Ginobili has lost the 6man of the year award to Taj Gibson/Jamal Crawford and JR Smith in the past 2 seasons. How can you expect the masses to remember him when they'll say he didn't make all star games except 2x. If you say cause he was a 6-man, the counter will be well if he was so good better than a 6man then how come he kept losing the award to dudes like JR Smith, and Taj Gibson? Only won 6moy once? Sadly he'll be forgotten and I know it.

A few years ago, this guy began being talked about as a sure-fire first ballot Hal of Famer. They still describe him this way but I have noticed that his rep has taken a hit partially because of Game 6 and the Miami series overall.

Is it fair that if you die mid career aka Drazen Petrovic at age 31 and about to decline, the basketball analysts project you forward as "god knows what he would have done had he not died. Legend". Yet if for the love of the game you hang around for a few years, you can play your way out of the Hall of Fame?

I think voting for the hall of fame should happen every year you are active and you get to accumulate points. Once you are a "Hall of Famer" you shouldn't be able to play your way out of being one just for loving to play the game.

Manu not getting respect this year as 6moy is a travesty. His career averages will decline to 13, 4, and 4 with 2 All Star Appearances. As a compromise, voters will put the 2004 Argentina Basketball Team into the Hall of Fame and that sets the stage for leaving Manu out of it since voting won't take place until 2020 at the earliest.

Will he be remembered as a great? Thoughts?

TMTTRIO
04-06-2014, 11:36 PM
People will always remember what that Argentinean team did to the United States in the Olympics and they know that he was a big part of that. Honestly I see Manu doesn't care about what people think about him and doesn't care at all whether he makes it or not. I think after he retires you're not going to hear much about him or from him again. I see him as being one who will stay out of the spotlight. Even though he's playing pretty well I wish he would've retired. I guess I just hate seeing him get old and not being the prime Manu that we really love.

FromWayDowntown
04-06-2014, 11:36 PM
If you understand Hall of Fame voting, you'll know that Manu is an absolute lock to make the Hall of Fame. He likely has been since 2008 (if not earlier), because he's been such a significant international player in World Championship tournaments and the Olympics. His NBA career validates all of that and further justifies his enshrinement. I think he's going into the Hall as an international and will make that on the first ballot.

RD2191
04-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Not sheriff is serious.

04-06-2014, 11:51 PM
3 rings and an Olympic gold medal definitely make him a lock for the HOF

Sybok
04-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Who?

Sybok
04-06-2014, 11:52 PM
A few years ago, this guy began being talked about as a sure-fire first ballot Hal of Famer. They still describe him this way but I have noticed that his rep has taken a hit partially because of Game 6 and the Miami series overall.

Is it fair that if you die mid career aka Drazen Petrovic at age 31 and about to decline, the basketball analysts project you forward as "god knows what he would have done had he not died. Legend". Yet if for the love of the game you hang around for a few years, you can play your way out of the Hall of Fame?

I think voting for the hall of fame should happen every year you are active and you get to accumulate points. Once you are a "Hall of Famer" you shouldn't be able to play your way out of being one just for loving to play the game.

Manu not getting respect this year as 6moy is a travesty. His career averages will decline to 13, 4, and 4 with 2 All Star Appearances. As a compromise, voters will put the 2004 Argentina Basketball Team into the Hall of Fame and that sets the stage for leaving Manu out of it since voting won't take place until 2020 at the earliest.

Remember how shitty MJ's game was before he retired? He was inducted I think. No comparison to Manu, but players about to retire often don't play as well as they once did.

ElNono
04-06-2014, 11:53 PM
If you understand Hall of Fame voting, you'll know that Manu is an absolute lock to make the Hall of Fame. He likely has been since 2008 (if not earlier), because he's been such a significant international player in World Championship tournaments and the Olympics. His NBA career validates all of that and further justifies his enshrinement. I think he's going into the Hall as an international and will make that on the first ballot.

Exactly. Leader of the first and only team in FIBA history to beat Team USA (made up of NBA players) twice.

ColinB
04-06-2014, 11:53 PM
How can you forget that 2013 Finals performance, tbh.

tmtcsc
04-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Eh...He's a lock. No ifs ands or buts. Manu has proved last year was an aberration.

Mel_13
04-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Thoughts?

You should consider starting fewer threads.

RD2191
04-06-2014, 11:56 PM
:lmaoFucking shit, almost choked on my sandwich.

ElNono
04-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Plus, his jersey will always be hanging from the rafters with the Spurs... :tu

(cue Heat rafters joke)

SpurPadre
04-06-2014, 11:57 PM
the voters also understand his numbers surely would've been much better had Pop not converted him into a sixth man for many seasons and most other teams would've used him as a starter all the way until these last two seasons.

ElNono
04-06-2014, 11:57 PM

:lol

04-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Plus, his jersey will always be hanging from the rafters with the Heat... :tu

FIFY

04-07-2014, 12:00 AM
:lol

BadOne
04-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Dick Vitale is in the HOF. Trust me, for all he's accomplished in his career, Manu is a shoe in.

superjames1992
04-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Will David Robinson be forgotten because he only scored 8 PPG in his final season? :cry :cry :cry

DesertSpur50
04-07-2014, 01:53 AM
If nothing else, Manu will be remembered because he played with Duncan.

gilmor
04-07-2014, 03:53 AM

Don't worry bro.. he will be remembered as one of the greats..

szumi
04-07-2014, 04:47 AM
Sarunas Marciulionis is going to the HOF so manu is a lock easy.

scanry
04-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Dude netted us 3 and costed us 2 tbh.

Captivus
04-07-2014, 06:20 AM
He will be remembered for individual achievements, international, national, team...everything.
He is gonna be part of the best trio ever.
And yes, he is a 100% a HOF.

Blake
04-07-2014, 10:33 AM
People remember champions

LoneStarState'sPride
04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Is this a joke? Of course he'll be remembered.

MarCowMar
04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kobe put in a good word for Manu if it ever comes up for debate. I think Kobe has immense respect for Manu's game.

— “That’s a bad boy right there.”

And Manu's highlight reel, sheesh. The passing alone.

smeagol
04-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Aftter all these years you are still one of the best posters on ST.

rascal
04-07-2014, 01:47 PM

He is not making it on his NBA resume alone because that is not Hall of Fame worthy.

FromWayDowntown
04-07-2014, 02:04 PM
He is not making it on his NBA resume alone because that is not Hall of Fame worthy.

True. But there are plenty of players who are in the Hall of Fame without stellar NBA resumes. It's the Basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA Hall of Fame.

Mouth is Bleeding
04-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Similar to baseball in the years to come better and better analytics will tell us who really were the best players. Even ESPN now have Engelmann's advanced statistics up. The best there is and Manu has been destroying those (and others) his whole career year after year being one of the best players in the league easily on a Hall of Fame level. Even at age 36 there he is as the leading shooting guard and top 10 overall.

The likes of Reggie Miller, Iverson and Isiah Thomas will eventually be revealed as severely overrated while someone like Manu will get his due as one of the best players ever.

Skull-1
04-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Manu who?

Arcadian
04-07-2014, 04:30 PM
How could he not be remembered? Of course he will be remembered (except for people who suffer from dementia or other age-related cognitive impairment).

I agree that you can't "play your way out of the HOF" though. If you were ever good enough for the HOF, you stay good enough for the HOF. Nothing can take that away, because it's a career achievement award.

Skull-1
04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I will remember him for choking in the Finals....

Skull-1
04-07-2014, 04:49 PM
How could he not be remembered? Of course he will be remembered (except for people who suffer from dementia or other age-related cognitive impairment).

I agree that you can't "play your way out of the HOF" though. If you were ever good enough for the HOF, you stay good enough for the HOF. Nothing can take that away, because it's a career achievement award.

Tell that to Dale Murphy...

Budkin
04-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Forgotten? Come on.

Libri
04-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Forgetting Manu? :lmao

soxxx
04-07-2014, 05:29 PM
He will be remember amongst Spurs fans but I could see him being forgotten. I mean look at the championship teams from the 70s, most fans today cant name a player outside of Russel. I think the same will happen to the Spurs supporting casts, Duncan will be remembered, but the rest might become forgotten amongst the new NBA fans.

Hell when I listen to talk radio I hear of players from the 70 and 80s who were key players, yet I never heard of em.

hater
04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
sorry but, you don't forget 8 turnovers in a Finals clincher. you just don't

rascal
04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
True. But there are plenty of players who are in the Hall of Fame without stellar NBA resumes. It's the Basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA Hall of Fame.

That waters down the accomplishment to me. Manu was hardly an NBA all star(barely making it twice) on his weak overall stat totals.

ElNono
04-07-2014, 08:03 PM
That waters down the accomplishment to me. Manu was hardly an NBA all star(barely making it twice) on his weak overall stat totals.

That's your problem.

rascal
04-07-2014, 08:06 PM
That's your problem.

Stupid response.

ElNono
04-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Stupid response.

matches your post.

rascal
04-07-2014, 08:47 PM
matches your post.

How? Just my opinion that his weak NBA stats waters down the Hall of Fame selection. What is wrong with you assholes in here.

ElNono
04-07-2014, 08:50 PM
How? Just my opinion that his weak NBA stats waters down the Hall of Fame selection. What is wrong with you assholes in here.

You've been told that's not how the Hall of Fame selection process works. That's why I'm pointing out that what YOU think is irrelevant.

EVAY
04-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Manu is so clearly a first ballot HOFer. I mean, seriously. No one in the their right minds seriously considers anything else.

moisaenz
04-07-2014, 09:09 PM
manu being the best player from his country and being as good as he is or was gets him in the hall of fame.

spurs10
04-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Manu will be canonized in Argentinean history for 2004 and a first ballot Hall of Fame player.

spurraider21
04-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Dude netted us 3 and costed us 2 tbh.
so a net of 1

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-07-2014, 11:28 PM
matches your post.

this^

Seriously, has rascal watched the NBA before last year?

ElNono
04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Seriously, has rascal watched the NBA before last year?

He has... he's a Lakerfan at heart, thus I'm sure you can understand his current frustration...

gilmor
04-08-2014, 12:13 AM
He has... he's a Lakerfan at heart, thus I'm sure you can understand his current frustration...

I am just curious.. How do argies rate Manu compared to Lionel Messi?

ElNono
04-08-2014, 12:16 AM

I have no idea, I'm more of a Maradona contemporary and haven't been in Argentina for over a month in like 12 years...

I would tell you to ask DAF86, but he's a notorious Messi fan... maybe some of the other Argies around can chime in...

Mikeanaro
04-08-2014, 12:31 AM
This is a pure soccer/futbol country, people here is aware of him being really good but if you ask someone here Messi will get the props since all that matters in Argentina is futbol and tennis for some fancy people.
Maradona on the other hand is a has been since Messi is overshadowing his stats and most of his appearances on tv are to insult someone or to invent some dumb scandal.

kuato
04-08-2014, 02:27 PM
I have no idea, I'm more of a Maradona contemporary and haven't been in Argentina for over a month in like 12 years...

I would tell you to ask DAF86, but he's a notorious Messi fan... maybe some of the other Argies around can chime in...

Manu and Messi are both aces in their respective sport, Manu is a more successfull player in terms of national team (Olimpic gold medal, beat the U.S. twice. etc), but soccer is waaaaay more popular than basket so Lio is widely known and recognized as the world's best football player. If messi can win something big with the NT there will be no doubt about who is the best rated.

DAF86
04-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Messi is the best player in the World of the most popular sport in the World, sport which happens to be even more popular on Argentina. Manu is a great player of a meh sport here.

superjames1992
04-08-2014, 05:44 PM
It was interesting when I was in Spain recently, I had a chance to meet some Argentinians and they did know of Manu. :) I'm not sure if they were too into basketball, but to meet anyone overseas that has any knowledge of the NBA is cool.

Solid D
04-08-2014, 05:52 PM
He won't be forgotten.
Some will remember him as a HOFer
Some will remember him as one of the most creative passers the game has seen.
Some will remember him as a flopper.
Some will remember him as one of the more irritating players.
Some will remember him because of Barkley's booming declaration "GINOBLEE!"
Most will remember him as a core player on one of the greatest organizations in sports history.

Oh, they'll remember him alright.

superbigtime
04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
We will all be forgotten.

Southwest Texas Fan
04-08-2014, 06:14 PM
If nothing else, Manu will be remembered because he played with Duncan.

Negative he will be remembered for more than that.

xmas1997
04-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Pretty confident he will be fondly remembered for all his accomplishments.
People tend to forget the negatives, of which no Spurs player is immune from, not even Ice.

TheGreatYacht
04-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Remembered. No one will ever forget 8 turnovers

dallasmaverickslose
04-08-2014, 08:27 PM

:flipoff

Kool Bob Love
04-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Remember for being the 2nd greatest spur of all time. :toast

xmas1997
04-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Most of us would have put it into past a long time ago if some of you were not so obsessed about it tbh.

Skull-1
04-08-2014, 09:27 PM
sorry but, you don't forget 8 turnovers in a Finals clincher. you just don't

Oh, but cd021 and his "advanced stats" supposedly "prove" that "Manu's turnovers didn't really hurt us". I did not make that up.

Skull-1
04-08-2014, 09:27 PM

:toast

Skull-1
04-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Remember for being the 2nd greatest Heatle of all time. :toast

Fify.

DesertSpur50
04-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Negative he will be remembered for more than that.

To be fair, I said "if nothing else."

flacura
04-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Manu is the best basketball player that ever played the game for and from Argentina, we have an elite group now but he is definitely the one, followed by Scola, Nocioni, Delfino, Prigioni,.... We (Argies) love Manu and the ones that love this game here wants to believe that he is the best sport man born here ever and want Manu to be forever. I will never forgot Manu, 2004 JJOO gold medal was the momentum for us and he was the best there. Those final moments of Manu in a court make us very sad, he is almost retiring and we will certainly miss him; and I thin that the haters here will miss him too, when the magic ends you will see the gap in the magic side. Enjoy him while he is playing, hall of fame or not, he made the game better and take a big smile from us. Thanks Manu for being Manu :)

Gino-Step
04-12-2014, 05:21 PM
UPDATE: Manu Ginobili has lost the 6man of the year award to Taj Gibson/Jamal Crawford and JR Smith in the past 2 seasons. How can you expect the masses to remember him when they'll say he didn't make all star games except 2x. If you say cause he was a 6-man, the counter will be well if he was so good better than a 6man then how come he kept losing the award to dudes like JR Smith, and Taj Gibson? Only won 6moy once? Sadly he'll be forgotten and I know it.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-12-2014, 09:35 PM
This has been talked over and over in ST. He is a HOF lock. Even over some international players with better NBA career personal stats than him like Gasol or Nowitzki.

Titles

Italian League Championship: 2001
Italian Cup: 2001, 2002
Euroleague: 2001
Triple Crown: 2001
South American Championship 2001
Americas Championship: 2001, 2011
NBA Championship: 2003, 2005, 2007
Summer Olympic Games gold medal: 2004
Summer Olympic Games bronze medal: 2008

Awards

Argentinian League Rookie of the Year 1996
Argentinian League Most Improved Player 1998
Italian League MVP: 2001, 2002
Italian League All-Star: 1999, 2000, 2001
Euroleague Finals Most Valuable Player: 2001
FIBA Americas Championship Most Valuable Player: 2001
Italian Cup Most Valuable Player: 2002
All-Tournament Team, FIBA World Cup: 2002, 2006
Argentinian Sporstman of the Year 2003, 2004
Summer Olympics MVP 2004
NBA All-Star: 2005, 2011
50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors: 2008
NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award: 2008
All-NBA Third Team: 2008, 2011
Argentinian Sporstman of the Decade 2010

He is one of only two players, along with Bill Bradley, to have won a Euroleague title, an NBA championship, and an Olympic gold medal.

Basketball Hall of Fame, not NBA's.

TMTTRIO
04-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Have you noticed that being a Sixth man really never became popular until Manu started doing it for the Spurs. Now all the teams are trying to do that with their players and all the players always talk about Manu.