PDA

View Full Version : You know Pop is getting old when...

will_spurs
04-07-2014, 09:25 AM
You know Pop is getting old when he doesn't instantly pull Green out of the game after he airballs a 3 in transition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh9sQDY4__o

Mel_13
04-07-2014, 09:59 AM
You know Pop is getting old when he doesn't instantly pull Green out of the game after he airballs a 3 in transition!

That was quite a miss! Seriously though, Pop doesn't get mad when a player takes the right shot. Go back and watch Duncan in the video. He never the left the paint when the Spurs headed the other way. He does that several times a game and has done that for a few years now. When he doesn't follow the team in the other direction, you will almost always see a very quick shot.

jiggy_55
04-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Green has been taking that pull up 3 quite a bit if you have been watching the games recently, mostly in the first quarter. I've noticed a major increase in the past weeks in that pull up 3 from him. I would even go as far to assume it's Popovich who may have recommended Green to take such shots when he's feeling good, becuase he has not pulled out Green at any of the previous instances of these 3 pt attempts.

IMO, if he can make such shots consistently, which has been the case other than that airball lol, he becomes much more than just a catch and shoot 3 point shooter. Another threat for defenses to worry about :tu.

will_spurs
04-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Green has been taking that pull up 3 quite a bit if you have been watching the games recently, mostly in the first quarter. I've noticed a major increase in the past weeks in that pull up 3 from him. I would even go as far to assume it's Popovich who may have recommended Green to take such shots when he's feeling good, becuase he has not pulled out Green at any of the previous instances of these 3 pt attempts.

I noticed he took one as well against OKC. Not sure what's up with that. Usually on a fast break a team wants to surefire shot (like a lay-up or a dunk) and at least create some contact for a chance to get fouled. Taking a low % chance with the certainty of not getting the offensive rebound doesn't sound too smart to me.

Sybok
04-07-2014, 01:18 PM
He got the stop at the rim, prevented an easy layup and came up with the ball. Why would you pull him when he's hustling on defense?

Proxy
04-08-2014, 02:06 AM
might not want to kill his confidence too

Spursfanfromafar
04-08-2014, 02:22 AM
Pop has been known over the years to give the license to shoot to select players .. of course occasionally.

jiggy_55
04-08-2014, 04:18 AM
I noticed he took one as well against OKC. Not sure what's up with that. Usually on a fast break a team wants to surefire shot (like a lay-up or a dunk) and at least create some contact for a chance to get fouled. Taking a low % chance with the certainty of not getting the offensive rebound doesn't sound too smart to me.

The game where he really did it well was against Denver, where he hit three 3 pointers in the first 4 minutes of the game and was 3-3. That was the game I was referring to where he was very successful.

Richie
04-08-2014, 04:31 AM
Transition 3's are almost always wide open because the defence is concerned with making sure the attacker doesn't get all the way to the rim. I'm ok with a 40%+ 3 point shooter taking that shot, especially when it's his hustle play that won the possession. Mills does it all the time.

It's when players like Westbrook, who is <33% on 3 in the last 4 years, takes shots like that Pop would get mad. If Tony did it you know he'd get an earful.

Seventyniner
04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Transition 3's are almost always wide open because the defence is concerned with making sure the attacker doesn't get all the way to the rim. I'm ok with a 40%+ 3 point shooter taking that shot, especially when it's his hustle play that won the possession. Mills does it all the time.

It's when players like Westbrook, who is <33% on 3 in the last 4 years, takes shots like that Pop would get mad. If Tony did it you know he'd get an earful.

The skillset of the shooter makes a big difference too. A guy like Mills (or Neal, or the ultimate version in Stephen Curry) who likes to take threes off the dribble in the halfcourt is a good candidate for that pullup 3 in transition. A guy like Danny Green, though, generally is a catch-and-shoot player in the halfcourt. I don't like him bringing the ball up the court in transition and launching a three because he's not used to having to compensate for forward momentum like that. My preferred transition 3 from him is if someone else is bringing the ball up the court. Danny isn't a great finisher at the rim anyway so he might be better served spotting up on the wing at the 3-point line in transition.

xmas1997
04-08-2014, 12:28 PM
You know Pop is getting old, when idiotic posters make fun of him despite his record and championships.

Brazil
04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
You know Pop is getting old, when idiotic posters make fun of him despite his record and championships.

that would be your egang tbh

xmas1997
04-08-2014, 06:23 PM
that would be your egang tbh

My egang?
I have no egang.
What egang?
Just telling it like it is and that makes me have an egang?
How obtuse of you.

jiggy_55
04-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Another first quarter transition 3 attempt by DG. And on the play before he pump faked what also could have been a transition 3