PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Embiid declares for NBA draft

RsxPiimp
04-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Kansas freshman center Joel Embiid declared for the NBA draft at a press conference on Wednesday.

“I just want to thank God first for giving me this opportunity to come to the [United States] and play ball,” Embiid said, according to the Kansas City Star. “I want to thank the coaching staff, my teammates, the fans — everyone that’s helped me through my journey. After thinking a lot, I’ve decided to declare for the NBA Draft.”

Embiid, 20, averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23.1 minutes for the Jayhawks this season. He was shut down in early March due to a stress fracture in his lower back.

Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix placed Embiid at No. 2 on his latest big board.

Let’s be clear: Embiid’s back injury isn’t raising red flags among NBA executives — yet. Several executives with likely lottery picks told SI.com that they will wait to get a closer look at Embiid’s medicals before moving him down on their boards. For now, they still see Embiid as a strong defender with high-level physical tools and the form and footwork to develop into an elite two-way center.

A native of Cameroon who played his high school basketball in Florida, Embiid is listed at 7-foot and 250 pounds. He currently ranks No. 2 on DraftExpress.com’s Top 100 and No. 3 on Chad Ford’s Top 100.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/01/8135944-590x406.jpg

ElNono
04-09-2014, 07:37 PM
hooked on the lottery :lol

Kawhi
04-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Kansas freshman center Joel Embiid declared for the NBA draft at a press conference on Wednesday.

“I just want to thank God first for giving me this opportunity to come to the [United States] and play ball,” Embiid said, according to the Kansas City Star. “I want to thank the coaching staff, my teammates, the fans — everyone that’s helped me through my journey. After thinking a lot, I’ve decided to declare for the NBA Draft.”

Embiid, 20, averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23.1 minutes for the Jayhawks this season. He was shut down in early March due to a stress fracture in his lower back.

Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix placed Embiid at No. 2 on his latest big board.

Let’s be clear: Embiid’s back injury isn’t raising red flags among NBA executives — yet. Several executives with likely lottery picks told SI.com that they will wait to get a closer look at Embiid’s medicals before moving him down on their boards. For now, they still see Embiid as a strong defender with high-level physical tools and the form and footwork to develop into an elite two-way center.

A native of Cameroon who played his high school basketball in Florida, Embiid is listed at 7-foot and 250 pounds. He currently ranks No. 2 on DraftExpress.com’s Top 100 and No. 3 on Chad Ford’s Top 100.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/01/8135944-590x406.jpgbust

RsxPiimp
04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
hooked on the lottery :lol

Jealous your future hinges on Kawhi, while we get a potential Olajuwon in this draft :hat

ElNono
04-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Jealous your future hinges on Kawhi, while we get a potential Olajuwon in this draft :hat

bartender picking players :lol

baseline bum
04-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Posted this shit last week

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230755

spurraider21
04-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Jealous your future hinges on Kawhi, while we get a potential Olowakandi in this draft :hat

Katherine Robinson
04-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Depends on health, he learns quickly and could flourish with added muscle. It's looking somewhat bleak right now because he already has had a back injury, but he's the only player who can become a franchise player unless Wiggins learns how to use his genetic gift.

RsxPiimp
04-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Depends on health, he learns quickly and could flourish with added muscle. It's looking somewhat bleak right now because he already has had a back injury, but he's the only player who can become a franchise player unless Wiggins learns how to use his genetic gift.

It's a concern. He could have chronic issues like Walton or it could be nothing. Drummond had the same issue and he looks healthy as an ox.

I really like this Embiid kid. I'm pretty sure the Lakers won't get the opportunity to draft him though. He's a projected Top 3. He'll have a quiet rookie and sophomore year, but I have no doubt he'll be a 20 and 10 defensive monster by year 3.

StrengthAndHonor
04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Philly is fixated with Wiggins, so he'll probably end up in Milwaukee or the Magic.

Killakobe81
04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Lakers need a top 3 pick. If wiggins and Embid go with the first two ...picking from Exum, Randle, Parker Gordon would not be a bad consolation prize.

Michael Jordan.
04-09-2014, 08:39 PM
The Basketball Gods will break Embiid in half like Bane.

StrengthAndHonor
Lakers need a top 3 pick. If wiggins and Embid go with the first two ...picking from Exum, Randle, Parker Gordon would not be a bad consolation prize.

Who's your pick KK?

StrengthAndHonor
The Basketball Gods will break Embiid in half like Bane.

:lol Cold

Killakobe81
04-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Who's your pick KK?

I loved Parker early ... but have some doubts.
But now i m leaning Exum or Gordon.
Randle I am not sure he is big enough though i like his low post game.

Michael Jordan.
04-09-2014, 09:16 PM
The draft will continue to decline until kids start staying at least 3 years in school.

kobe4life
04-09-2014, 09:16 PM
If Embid plays with God he will become the next great big. Look at all these other great bigs who have prospered by playing with God. Shaq was mvp when he was with God due to God making him a better player. God also made Bynum into an all-star. He also got Gasol not to choke anymore like he did in Memphis. If he plays with God this kid could be the next Olaujuwon.

LkrFan
04-09-2014, 10:03 PM
The only time I worry about his back is if it were musculoskeletal. From what I read, it's his vertebrae. That's bone. Bones heal. I'm sure there are dozens of players that play with healed fractures (Kobe is an extreme example).

If it's not muscle, I hope the Lakers draft him and I hope our pick is top 5. My pecking order, post NCAA tourney:

1) Embiid (see above)
2) Exum
3) Randle
4) Parker
5) Wiggins

I'd be ecstatic with either of the above tbh.

LkrFan
04-09-2014, 10:06 PM
The draft will continue to decline until kids start staying at least 3 years in school.
QFT

TDMVPDPOY
04-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Philly is fixated with Wiggins, so he'll probably end up in Milwaukee or the Magic.

i doubt he wants to land on the magic, kid surely wants to be a star, you cant have 2 clowns on the team wanting to be the face of the team when theres only 1 ball, so whats wrong with that rookie they have now oladiaper or someshit whatever his name is

RsxPiimp
04-10-2014, 12:08 PM
The only time I worry about his back is if it were musculoskeletal. From what I read, it's his vertebrae. That's bone. Bones heal. I'm sure there are dozens of players that play with healed fractures (Kobe is an extreme example).

If it's not muscle, I hope the Lakers draft him and I hope our pick is top 5. My pecking order, post NCAA tourney:

1) Embiid (see above)
2) Exum
3) Randle
4) Parker
5) Wiggins

I'd be ecstatic with either of the above tbh.

I'm down with this list. Randle to me appears to be the most NBA ready.

So far the Lakers are projected to pick between 6-8. I like Aaron Gordon, Vonleh or Smart in that range.

baseline bum
04-10-2014, 12:11 PM

Good luck to get the player's association to agree to that when a player can't negotiate a contract for market value until year 5 in the NBA.

RsxPiimp
04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
i doubt he wants to land on the magic, kid surely wants to be a star, you cant have 2 clowns on the team wanting to be the face of the team when theres only 1 ball, so whats wrong with that rookie they have now oladiaper or someshit whatever his name is

You mean Oladipo?:lol

RsxPiimp
04-10-2014, 12:14 PM

I can't agree with this. Some of the best players of this generation didn't even spend a day in college.

Clipper Nation
04-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Welp, Embiid's back is fucked now :lol

Katherine Robinson
04-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Not until Capri gives his kiss of death

TDMVPDPOY
04-10-2014, 12:47 PM

he knows his back wont be enough to carry the greatest coatrider of all time

ambchang
04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
To the Laker fans pinning their hopes on the lottery into somehow turning them back into championship contenders, think about this.

Since 1999 (Post Jordan), and that's 15 years, the only three players who helped the team who drafted them to the championship by playing the undisputed alpha roles were Duncan (Spurs 1999,2003,2005 and 2007), Wade (2006) and Dirk (2011). And even that, it took:

Spurs - Either a defensive anchor in David Robinson or ingenious drafting of Parker and Manu, plus signings of significant pieces like Bowen, Elie and Jackson.
Heat - Landing a slightly past prime Shaq. And a player of Shaq's caliber was on the market because egomaniac couldn't stand sharing the spotlight with him. There hasn't been a player of that caliber on the trade market (not counting sign and trades) since then.
Mavs - Finding the exact right team of players in Chandler, Marion, and Kidd to surround Dirk.

Even a player like Lebron had to join the super friends to finally win a championship.
Unibrow, a supposedly once in a half decade player, can't even get the Pelicans to the playoffs in multiple years.
Durant, a once in a lifetime scorer, can't get his team to the finals without a top flight PG (Westbrook) and SG (Harden) and some fantastic inside defense (Ibaka).

The league is very different than what it was in the early 2000s, and with how Buss Jr. and Kupchak are looking for players, I am not sure if they are capable of assembling a team with multiple shots at a championship.

EDIT: I didn't even mention coaching.

Thread
04-10-2014, 01:06 PM
To the Laker fans pinning their hopes on the lottery into somehow turning them back into championship contenders, think about this.

Since 1999 (Post Jordan), and that's 15 years, the only three players who helped the team who drafted them to the championship by playing the undisputed alpha roles were Duncan (Spurs 1999,2003,2005 and 2007), Wade (2006) and Dirk (2011). And even that, it took:

Spurs - Either a defensive anchor in David Robinson or ingenious drafting of Parker and Manu, plus signings of significant pieces like Bowen, Elie and Jackson.
Heat - Landing a slightly past prime Shaq. And a player of Shaq's caliber was on the market because egomaniac couldn't stand sharing the spotlight with him. There hasn't been a player of that caliber on the trade market (not counting sign and trades) since then.
Mavs - Finding the exact right team of players in Chandler, Marion, and Kidd to surround Dirk.

Even a player like Lebron had to join the super friends to finally win a championship.
Unibrow, a supposedly once in a half decade player, can't even get the Pelicans to the playoffs in multiple years.
Durant, a once in a lifetime scorer, can't get his team to the finals without a top flight PG (Westbrook) and SG (Harden) and some fantastic inside defense (Ibaka).

The league is very different than what it was in the early 2000s, and with how Buss Jr. and Kupchak are looking for players, I am not sure if they are capable of assembling a team with multiple shots at a championship.

Boiled down:::

Kobe: 5

the tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

RsxPiimp
04-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Drafting is just part of it now, the landscape has changed so much since the new CBA kicked in. Drafting right is obviously essential (See Clippers, OKC, Pacers) but what separates a successful franchise is their approach in free agency. The Lakers can't simply attract free agents now, reason being is having Kobe on the team and they're financially strapped with bad decisions made the past 2 summers.

JamStone
04-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Because there's supposed to be very good talent at the top of the draft, I'd be really cautious drafting him in the top 3 despite his talent and potential. Not only with his back, but didn't he have a sprain or partial tear in one of his MCLs? Back and knee injuries are huge red flags for young big man prospects. And if that stress fracture in his spine is found to be a skeletal/genetic issue, he may be predisposed to future stress fractures in other parts of his body like the shins and feet. Health issues aside he looks like a terrific prospect. But I'd really worry about a Greg Oden type situation if I were selecting in the top 3-5 picks and weighing the risks and rewards with him.

ambchang
04-10-2014, 01:47 PM
And no matter how good Embiid is, he will not be another Olajuwon, Shaq, or Duncan. The game has changed so much since the early 00s, then again late 00s for any big man to have a dominant role on a team. Stern has consciously shifted the emphasis of the game to the perimeter and opened up the paint to allow more penetration for layups and dunks for an exciting brand of basketball.

Even if Embiid turned out to be a healthy Yao, which is quite a feat as we haven't seen a true big of Yao's caliber (other than Unibrow) in any drafts in about a decade, you are talking about a 20/10/3 guy who can carry the team to the 1st or 2nd round. Unibrow is having trouble cracking the playoffs (I am sure he will soon enough), and my point being the game has changed so much that big men are now mostly used for defensive purposes. On offense, they would have to face the basket for drives.

A player like David Robinson would absolutely beast in today's NBA, but we haven't seen a player like that in 25 years, with Garnett being the closest one.

Raven
04-10-2014, 01:58 PM
And no matter how good Embiid is, he will not be another Olajuwon, Shaq, or Duncan. The game has changed so much since the early 00s, then again late 00s for any big man to have a dominant role on a team. Stern has consciously shifted the emphasis of the game to the perimeter and opened up the paint to allow more penetration for layups and dunks for an exciting brand of basketball.

Even if Embiid turned out to be a healthy Yao, which is quite a feat as we haven't seen a true big of Yao's caliber (other than Unibrow) in any drafts in about a decade, you are talking about a 20/10/3 guy who can carry the team to the 1st or 2nd round. Unibrow is having trouble cracking the playoffs (I am sure he will soon enough), and my point being the game has changed so much that big men are now mostly used for defensive purposes. On offense, they would have to face the basket for drives.

A player like David Robinson would absolutely beast in today's NBA, but we haven't seen a player like that in 25 years, with Garnett being the closest one.

that's for those who say that Wilt would be a normal player today.

Killakobe81
04-10-2014, 04:30 PM
No team has been built as a true title team with the new ...CBA.
Dem Mavs and dem Heat were pretty much still tied to the remnants of the "old CBA"

No one has won a title completely built off new rules and no one will for a few years

jimbo
04-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Tbh and let it be known that I'm the one who voted "Franchise player." Embiid could have played vs Stanford but didn't because it was fucking Stanford :lol. I'm not worried about his back.

Clipper Nation
05-20-2014, 09:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/z7vK5vr.png

Splits
05-20-2014, 09:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/z7vK5vr.png

EXUM???

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/lol.gif