PDA

View Full Version : Clippers started the Thunder game by attacking the Thunder the way I wish we would

$pursDynasty
04-09-2014, 10:05 PM
They took the ball inside and got Ibaka in foul trouble early. Ibaka's shot blocking is the number one advantage the Thunder have over the Spurs. He basically eliminates our inside game. You take away Tony's penetration, in fact all of our paint points. Making the Spurs basically a 3point shooting team. The Thunder are athletic fast and long enough to negate that. We have issues defending the Thunder made worse by our inability to score against them. Getting Ibaka out of the game early increase our chances exponentially. When Ibaka is in the game the Spurs offense goes from being a machine, to timid, afraid and intimidated. He brings out the Spurs Eurocentric, (ie soft and finesse) tendencies.

MeloHype
04-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Refs don't call fouls on okc when we play them

heyheymymy
04-09-2014, 10:21 PM
tony gets hacked > no call > fast break for okc

TheGoldStandard
04-09-2014, 10:21 PM
We don't have that interior presence to get those calls.. As much as I like Parker he becomes a coward and throws himself on the floor looking for calls rather than going into players. Diaw pump fakes his way into bad shots, Tiago is the softest player we have and they won't call anything.. Kawhi shows fear and passes or takes bad contested shots.

Bartleby
04-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Yeah, it would be nice to get Ibaka into early foul trouble, but you can't build your game plan on counting for that to happen.

The Spurs started out great in the last game, leading 20-9 with 3:30 left in the quarter . . . and then the whistles took over.

HarlemHeat37
04-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Duncan attacked OKC's interior several times, he didn't get the calls, tbh..sometimes the refs call it, sometimes they don't, you can't control that..

Blake Griffin is a top 5 player, btw, he's much better than any Spurs player, tbh..

pgardn
04-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Duncan attacked OKC's interior several times, he didn't get the calls, tbh..sometimes the refs call it, sometimes they don't, you can't control that..

Blake Griffin is a top 5 player, btw, he's much better than any Spurs player, tbh..

Griffin can still get frustrated and lose composure when games become meaningful.
Playoffs are a different beast. We will see if he has improved when it counts.

$pursDynasty
04-09-2014, 10:31 PM
We don't have that interior presence to get those calls.. As much as I like Parker he becomes a coward and throws himself on the floor looking for calls rather than going into players. Diaw pump fakes his way into bad shots, Tiago is the softest player we have and they won't call anything.. Kawhi shows fear and passes or takes bad contested shots.

I can't disagree with this or any other point made in this thread, but since the Thunder come into games against the Spurs with an aggressive Hard on, use their over aggression against them to get some cheap fouls. Getting the fouls would be more important initially than scoring. Hate to wine about the refs but they do let the Thunder get away with hyper aggression while we still get the ticky tack Thunderrefs calls.

HarlemHeat37
04-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Griffin can still get frustrated and lose composure when games become meaningful.
Playoffs are a different beast. We will see if he has improved when it counts.

True, but just based on the regular season, he's been the best player on a title contender and has surpassed Parker and Duncan, tbh..

We'll see what happens in the playoffs, though, like you said..

SpurPadre
04-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Yeah, they're attacking the Thunder by losing by 13 at home while we still led them in the 1st half.

Sean Cagney
04-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Yeah, they're attacking the Thunder by losing by 13 at home while we still led them in the 1st half.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Mikeanaro
04-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Yeah I dont get all the props some people gives to other teams when they are worst than us Clips sucks Griffin sucks thats it.

pgardn
04-09-2014, 10:51 PM
I just hope they play each other on the opposite side of the West. Beat each other up while accumulating T's.

$pursDynasty
04-09-2014, 10:57 PM
I just hope they play each other on the opposite side of the West. Beat each other up while accumulating T's.

I think the Thunder are a better team but the Clippers match up with them well. I was hoping that the Clippers could steal the #2 seed, HCA (I thought) would give the Clippers a better chance to beat them in the second round.

SpurPadre
04-09-2014, 10:58 PM
The Paper Clips may still pull this out but their "attacking" to start the game would have nothing to do with it and we shouldn't be ashamed of having led them at the half last week while short a future HOF.

TheGoldStandard
04-09-2014, 11:06 PM
The thing about the Clip is that they will get just as many calls to go to the FT line which helps keep games close. It will ultimately come down to making shots but when one team has 12 FT's for the whole game and another team has 23 that says a lot.

$pursDynasty
04-09-2014, 11:12 PM
The Paper Clips may still pull this out but their "attacking" to start the game would have nothing to do with it and we shouldn't be ashamed of having led them at the half last week while short a future HOF.

Funny thing is even though we had the lead by the half, I have more confidence that the Clippers can come back in this game, than I had that the Spurs could hold their lead against the Thunder. The NBA is all about matchups. A>B, B>C, but C>A. We seem clueless against the Thunder but have no problems against the Clippers, who play well against the Thunder. I hope we win the title this year but it is obvious we haven't solved the Thunder issue, yet. I don't know what kind of player we need to improve this matchup. A shot blocking athletic big with some post up inside game would be my guess.

james evans
04-09-2014, 11:27 PM
ibaka is a sucker for a pump fake. dude jumps every time. in 2012 it took duncan 3 games to figure that out. pump fake him and get him into foul trouble every time.

SpurPadre
04-09-2014, 11:29 PM
ibaka is a sucker for a pump fake. dude jumps every time. in 2012 it took duncan 3 games to figure that out. pump fake him and get him into foul trouble every time.

Yeah but how do we prevent the fucker's jump shots? I still have nightmares from that game he shot 10-10 against us.

cd021
04-09-2014, 11:31 PM
They took the ball inside and got Ibaka in foul trouble early. Ibaka's shot blocking is the number one advantage the Thunder have over the Spurs. He basically eliminates our inside game. You take away Tony's penetration, in fact all of our paint points. Making the Spurs basically a 3point shooting team. The Thunder are athletic fast and long enough to negate that. We have issues defending the Thunder made worse by our inability to score against them. Getting Ibaka out of the game early increase our chances exponentially. When Ibaka is in the game the Spurs offense goes from being a machine, to timid, afraid and intimidated. He brings out the Spurs Eurocentric, (ie soft and finesse) tendencies.

Our best bet is to continue to have Diaw spot up behind the 3pt line. Ibaka stretching out to 18 feet to cover Diaw, keeps him a few feet out of the paint. It allows for Duncan to work Perkins without the threat Ibaka coming over to block his shot.

Parker can work the pick and pop and it keeps OKC from trapping because it would leave Diaw wide open from deep. He can drive and keep Ibaka off balance.

Hoops Czar
04-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Thunder doing what they're suppose to be doing to pretenders.

$pursDynasty
04-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Yeah but how do we prevent the fucker's jump shots? I still have nightmares from that game he shot 10-10 against us.

I fear his defensive effect on our offense more than I worry about his jumper. Now someone explain how Reggie Jackson goes Mr October on us everytime we play them?

TheGoldStandard
04-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Our best bet is to continue to have Diaw spot up behind the 3pt line. Ibaka stretching out to 18 feet to cover Diaw, keeps him a few feet out of the paint. It allows for Duncan to work Perkins without the threat Ibaka coming over to block his shot.

Parker can work the pick and pop and it keeps OKC from trapping because it would leave Diaw wide open from deep. He can drive and keep Ibaka off balance.

Problem is Diaw once he catches the ball regardless of anyone closing on him will pump fake and go into the heart of the paint which usually has 3 defenders standing around waiting, he gets caught and then passes it out to tony but westbrook is playing the passing lanes so it's either a deflection or a steal.

james evans
04-09-2014, 11:35 PM
STOP LEAVING HIM OPEN!!!! he's not gonna put that ball on the floor. put a man on him and stay with him. every team that play us does the same thing. drive, draw the defense and kick out to the open guy at the 3 point line or midrange. and popovich still has them playing that bullshit zone defense. i see it come and all of u see it coming, how does he not see it coming?

james evans
04-09-2014, 11:38 PM
one thing for sure is that durant doesn't look as great when the refs aren't giving him freethrows every other possession.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-09-2014, 11:39 PM
True, but just based on the regular season, he's been the best player on a title contender and has surpassed Parker and Duncan, tbh..

We'll see what happens in the playoffs, though, like you said..

The game is played on the court and not as a narrative. We are a better matchup for Griffin with Splitter and Diaw as opposed to Ibaka and Perkins. Perkins cannot handle Griffin's quickness and Ibaka is a vagina in the post. Splitter's side to side quickness and much improved core strength is a very good defensive matchup as opposed to anything the Thunder offer.

Their shitty production from the 3 position allows us to put Green on Paul for extended minutes as well.

I will take the Granger/Barnes/scrub versus Leonard matchup too.

james evans
04-09-2014, 11:40 PM
did anyone see that spin durant just did? picked the ball up, took 2 steps and started dribbling again? no wonder he's impossible to stop..

Hoops Czar
04-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Oh, how I'd trade Paddy Mills in for Reggie Jackson in a heartbeat,

cheguevara
04-09-2014, 11:42 PM
and they still losing by 15 in the 4th :lol

james evans
04-09-2014, 11:44 PM
a lot of guys that play well on other teams don't play as well in our system for some reason

hater
04-09-2014, 11:46 PM

Patrick Mills, love him but he is a gimmick player kinda like Danny Green

but I'm not completely sold on Jackson. gotta wait for this playoffs..

Hoops Czar
04-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Patrick Mills, love him but he is a gimmick player kinda like Danny Green

but I'm not completely sold on Jackson. gotta wait for this playoffs..

I hear ya. But RJ's ceiling is a lot higher and he can actually play the point.

james evans
04-10-2014, 12:03 AM
i just want to know why our games against the thunder aren't officiated like this shit? every other play when they are losing it seems they are goin gto the freethrow line. i haven't seen a fairly officiated game of the spurs vs thunder in years

$pursDynasty
04-10-2014, 12:06 AM
I am jealous too when the Thunder get up +10 on us we can never catch back up, because then the whistles start raining down. Go Paper Clips!!!

SpurPadre
04-10-2014, 12:06 AM
I fear his defensive effect on our offense more than I worry about his jumper. Now someone explain how Reggie Jackson goes Mr October on us everytime we play them?

Not having a good on the ball defender off the bench that can keep up with him. This is why I'd start Manu vs. the Thunder and have Green come off the bench whenever Jackson comes in.

$pursDynasty
04-10-2014, 12:11 AM
I know Deandre isn't thought to have a high basketball IQ but I wish we had a player like him. Maybe Javell McGee, or maybe get Tyson Chandler from the Knicks (he might be for sale next year), or maybe the Bucks could be talked out of John Henson (Bucks) or maybe we could trick the Jazz into trading Favors for Splitter and a first rounder.

james evans
04-10-2014, 12:14 AM
so is that not a technical for westbrooke celebrating in front of the clipper bench?

$pursDynasty
04-10-2014, 12:18 AM
you know if we would have fought back and lost to the Thunder like this game I wouldn't be as worried. I usually consider the Clippers a mentally weak team but they are showing more fight against the Thunder than we have in a Loooooooong time.

james evans
04-10-2014, 12:19 AM
see that bullshit durant got away with? that's a fukin travel. u can't shoot the ball, catch it and shoot it again. fuk the nba

$pursDynasty
04-10-2014, 12:20 AM
wow 13 missed free throws and actually shooting more FT's than the Thunder

$pursDynasty
04-10-2014, 12:22 AM
as much as it has seemed that the Thunder dominated if the Clippers hit more FT's they win.

SpurPadre
04-10-2014, 12:25 AM
you know if we would have fought back and lost to the Thunder like this game I wouldn't be as worried. I usually consider the Clippers a mentally weak team but they are showing more fight against the Thunder than we have in a Loooooooong time.

Pop waved the flag 1 minute into the 4th, playing without Manu on the road and clearly not pulling out all the stops to tax TD and TP of potentially-wasted energy. It wasn't our lack of aggression to start the game, it was our lack of it aside from Mills in the 2nd half. Bottom line is: the Thunder are the ONLY team that can beat a healthy Spurs team in a 7 game series, imo.

SpurPadre
04-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Fuck you, Paper Clips. Fuck you very much.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2014, 12:31 AM
The game is played on the court and not as a narrative. We are a better matchup for Griffin with Splitter and Diaw as opposed to Ibaka and Perkins. Perkins cannot handle Griffin's quickness and Ibaka is a vagina in the post. Splitter's side to side quickness and much improved core strength is a very good defensive matchup as opposed to anything the Thunder offer.

Their shitty production from the 3 position allows us to put Green on Paul for extended minutes as well.

I will take the Granger/Barnes/scrub versus Leonard matchup too.

I wasn't referring to Griffin vs. the Spurs, I was referring to Griffin vs. OKC and the OP's point re: attacking OKC inside..at this point, Griffin is much more capable of attacking their interior than Tim or TP, obviously..

The Spurs match up very well with the Clippers, I'm not worried about them..

$pursDynasty
04-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Pop waved the flag 1 minute into the 4th, playing without Manu on the road and clearly not pulling out all the stops to tax TD and TP of potentially-wasted energy. It wasn't our lack of aggression to start the game, it was our lack of it aside from Mills in the 2nd half. Bottom line is: the Thunder are the ONLY team that can beat a healthy Spurs team in a 7 game series, imo.

Padre you are right but the team never really showed the desire or ability to fight for the game before Pop pulled them. There was nothing in that 3rd qtr to suggest anything but a blowout starters in or out. Your bottom line is scary because not only could they, they would probably be favored to do so. -

SpurPadre
04-10-2014, 01:18 AM
I wasn't referring to Griffin vs. the Spurs, I was referring to Griffin vs. OKC and the OP's point re: attacking OKC inside..at this point, Griffin is much more capable of attacking their interior than Tim or TP, obviously..

The Spurs match up very well with the Clippers, I'm not worried about them..

If the clips get healthy, their shooting would worry me. We'd still beat them but it would be tough.

Clipper Nation
04-10-2014, 01:21 AM
They're getting a bit tougher mentally this year, tbh.... quite a few amazing comeback wins, and even when we lose, it's rarely in an embarrassing blowout.... for some reason though, they just have a mental block when it comes to the Spurs....

cd021
04-10-2014, 01:29 AM
Problem is Diaw once he catches the ball regardless of anyone closing on him will pump fake and go into the heart of the paint which usually has 3 defenders standing around waiting, he gets caught and then passes it out to tony but westbrook is playing the passing lanes so it's either a deflection or a steal.

Thats much more last season than this one. He is a low volume 3pt shooter (1.5 per game) but a good one (39.5%) its more the threat of leaving him open than him actually hitting 3 or 4 of them. I definitely noticed a big difference in the games against OKC where he started or played alongside Duncan. The paint was much less crowded.

The Duncan and Splitter pairing against OKC is a bit of a train-wreck, this season at least. They shouldn't share the court at all in a series against them. Diaw or Leonard should play the 4 while one of them is one the floor at the 5.

Ibaka was at least 18 feet outside of the paint, most of the time near the top of the arc where it can be harder to recover to the rim. Parker was running screen and pops with Diaw and they would trap. On one play Parker found Diaw ,after Ibaka left him to double Parker, he hit the open 3 and they let off the trapping for a bit.

That same play with Splitter would force Splitter to put the ball on the floor and drive from about the foul line to the rim with Ibaka being able to recover or Perkins leaving Duncan to cut off his drive to the rim.

Vs. Miami-2 Games-5-5 3pt

Vs. OKC-4 Games-4-8 3pt

Vs. Memphis- 4 Games-3-7 3pt

spurraider21
04-10-2014, 01:31 AM
the spurs need to keep the pace slow and minimize turnovers. emphasize the inside game even if its not going particularly well. whatever limits OKC's transition is to our benefit. we have demonstrated that we can defend them well in the half court.

will_spurs
04-10-2014, 04:54 AM

When he has 3 fouls by the end of the 1st half he won't be on the court enough to attempt 10 shots.

Raven
04-10-2014, 05:23 AM
we don't play belinelli and or patty and we have no issue defending the thunder whatsover.

Capt Bringdown
04-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Ibaka's shot blocking is the number one advantage the Thunder have over the Spurs. He basically eliminates our inside game.

Somehow, as far as the Spurs are concerned, Ibaka is the greatest rim-defender the game has ever produced. If the Spurs can't figure out how to challenge/limit his effectiveness, they don't deserve to be considered as serious contenders.

exstatic
04-10-2014, 07:34 AM
wow 13 missed free throws and actually shooting more FT's than the Thunder

Jordan, 2-8. :lol

look_at_g_shred
04-10-2014, 08:19 AM
I say we start games against OKC, posting up leonard on durant, or making kawhi as a number two scoring option against them. We all know Kawhi is one of the few spurs who have good games against the thunder. Why not go to him early instead of watching TP hesitantly dribbling the ball waiting for screens that don't work.

rude1_79
04-10-2014, 11:06 AM
i like these ideas. the thunder disrupt our share-the-ball team game really well. if we slow the game and post down low using the usual post players in duncan and splitter and then using diaw and leonard to mix it up. by using leonard, we would be forcing durant to play defense.

the spurs need to keep the pace slow and minimize turnovers. emphasize the inside game even if its not going particularly well. whatever limits OKC's transition is to our benefit. we have demonstrated that we can defend them well in the half court.

I say we start games against OKC, posting up leonard on durant, or making kawhi as a number two scoring option against them. We all know Kawhi is one of the few spurs who have good games against the thunder. Why not go to him early instead of watching TP hesitantly dribbling the ball waiting for screens that don't work.

Horse
04-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Why that frog face cocksucker only plays well against us.

look_at_g_shred
04-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Why that frog face cocksucker only plays well against us.
Wrong.