PDA

View Full Version : No way Warriors will cut Fisher

Kori Ellis
08-07-2005, 01:02 AM
No way Warriors will cut Fisher

http://www.insidebayarea.com/warriors/ci_2919489

THE DOOR HAS swung open for Chris Mullin to admit his mistake and release Derek Fisher under the league's new "amnesty" program.

It's not going to happen. Nor should it.

The NBA is giving each of its teams until Aug.15 to rid itself of its worst contract. The Trail Blazers were the first to take advantage, dumping Derek Anderson and the $18.8 million he's owed over the next two seasons.

Anderson will still get his money from Portland owner Paul Allen, and the Trail Blazers still will be charged $9.1 million against the salary cap next season and $9.7 million in 2006-07. The savings come in luxury-tax relief — the dollar-for-dollar penalty assessed to teams whose total player salaries exceed the league's predetermined limit.

Next season, for example, the number to stay below is $61.7 million.

The Trail Blazers, like the Warriors, are not currently over the luxury-tax limit. But each is close enough so that signing a free agent could push it over the top.

Releasing Fisher and the $31.9 million he's due over the next five seasons would allow the Warriors to sign a significant free agent this summer. So the question becomes: Is there one out there that warrants throwing away that kind of money? The answer is no.

First off, understand if the Warriors were to lose Fisher, they'd be sacrificing not only their best catch-and-shoot perimeter marksman but also their chief insurance policy should Baron Davis get hurt.

Without question, Mullin immediately would have to replace Fisher with ... well, another Fisher. Preferably an upgraded model.

The only player who's close to qualifying among the available free agents is Memphis guard Earl Watson, a very popular commodity on the market right now.

It would cost the Warriors about $29 million to get the former UCLA standout, which in essence would be $60 million when you factor in the amount owed Fisher.

Watson isn't worth that kind of money. Neither is Gary Payton, Latrell Sprewell or Nick Van Exel — other big-name free agents.

Shaquille O'Neal wants Fisher in Miami. Phil Jackson needs him back in Los Angeles.

Sorry, guys. This isn't the "charity"

T Park
08-07-2005, 02:55 AM
please cut him.

Please, and let the Spurs get him.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE!!!

T Park
08-07-2005, 03:10 AM
dude why?

Cause of .4??? Get the fuck over it.

Horry For 3!
08-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Derek Fisher is alright.

iminlakerland
08-07-2005, 05:49 AM
man what i would give to see derek fisher back in a los angeles lakers uniform. I would be so exstatic just to see that happen. Fisher never looked right in that warriors jersey...

TDMVPDPOY
08-07-2005, 08:06 AM
come to the spurs and wear number 4? gtf out of here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-07-2005, 09:44 AM
he does not help our team...i'd rather have speedy

Yeah, a backup PG who can handle full court pressure, play tough D, is clutch, and can hit the three is the last thing we could use on this team.

Sense
08-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Fisher is a worker... he deserved getting his .4, personally there's no other laker I would've wished it for.
He actually apologized to the spursfans for what actually happened.

I think he's a great man and he's spurs material.

Get over the .4 shit, the man's great.

Sportcamper
08-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Anyone that has been to Staples Center has seen D-Fish practice “catch & shoot” thousands of times...He was out there before & after the game...Every Game...The guy is a work horse... :smokin
http://www.hhweb.com/images/2002nbachamps/Derek_Fisher_JPG_small1.jpg

samikeyp
08-07-2005, 12:29 PM
I would take Fisher here....you can't blame the guy for doing his job.

itzsoweezee
08-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah, a backup PG who can . . . play tough D

play tough D? hahahaha. derrick flopper is one of the worst defensive point guards in the league.

Taking it to the Hole
08-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Fish would lock down the backup point guard spot and we could ship out Beno Udrih. I have always acclaimed Fisher as a great guard. I hate that he hit that shot against us, but if you look at his career, he has hit big shots in many games. Why wouldn't you want a Horry-type mentality and a veteran for you at the point? The reason the Lakers won those three championships isn't really because of Shaq and Kobe. It was because the role players did their job, mainly Horry, Fox , and Fisher. Fox is the only one who got worse out of the three. Horry and Fisher kept improving. I would say do it in a heartbeat. Fisher would help this team more and we would also have a guy who has "ice water" in his veins like Horry. Can you imagine at the end of games, how fearful oponents will be when you have four or five guys at one time who are not afraid to take the big shot. I would be crapping in my pants if I was an opponent. :makemyday Plus, Fisher can make his free throws!!! :spin

iminlakerland
08-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Fisher is a worker... he deserved getting his .4, personally there's no other laker I would've wished it for.
He actually apologized to the spursfans for what actually happened.

I think he's a great man and he's spurs material.

Get over the .4 shit, the man's great.

Yea the guy is a class act thats why he still remains my favorte player in the league.

itzsoweezee Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie Hoopsfan

Yeah, a backup PG who can . . . play tough D

play tough D? hahahaha. derrick flopper is one of the worst defensive point guards in the league.

i could really give you an education on that one right there buddy

Marcus Bryant
08-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Fisher would give the Spurs another big game shooter. He'd be ideal as the backup to TP. Pop loves Fisher and tried to sign him in the summer that he signed his last Laker contract.

Dex
08-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Regardless of how quality of a player Fisher is, he would still get booed nightly every time he came into the SBC Center. :lol

Let him stay out there with California team #49,472.

Pistonfan1
08-07-2005, 04:49 PM
dude stfu Beno is a hell of alot better then that crap Fisher. He is a damn scrub who couldnt even keep his starting job in GS and lost it to Speedy/Baron. Fisher is a hustle player yada yada hes a damn scrub.Id rather have Lindsey Hunter over Fisher and that is not saying much.

Sense
08-07-2005, 04:54 PM
dude stfu Beno is a hell of alot better then that crap Fisher. He is a damn scrub who couldnt even keep his starting job in GS and lost it to Speedy/Baron. Fisher is a hustle player yada yada hes a damn scrub.Id rather have Lindsey Hunter over Fisher and that is not saying much.

Beno is nothing guaranteed... I would trade Beno for Fisher.

Scrub?
He lost the starting position to 2 great players who still have starting spots or will.

Fisher is a hard worker and he is Spurs material... I don't know about Piston material.

Linsey Hunter is also a very hard worker, what's on your fuckin stupid brain?

You don't appreciate hard working effecient players?

iminlakerland
08-07-2005, 04:56 PM
lol @ lindsey hunter...if derek fisher is such a scrub why is it lindsey didnt see the living daylight off the bench in LA? Lets be completely honest here lindsey hunter is an ok player nothing more.

Secondly you must be pretty damn stupid to compare derek fisher and baron davis to one another. Baron Davis is a great player and a star caliber player. No one is saying derek fisher is top 5 nba point guard in the league...

As for speedy and the fisher comparison. Speedy is a younger and quicker player than fisher no doubt, derek fisher was a pretty quick guard himself before his numerous foot injuries. Best believe with derek fisher in that locker room speedy claxiton will learn a thing or two from him. Derek fisher plays good defense is a hustle type player he isnt afraid to take clutch shots and is an awesome team leader.

Derek fisher brings veteran leadership to that golden state team that has been sorely lacking. Trust and believe that even tho derek fisher lost his starting position to BD no one in that locker room will dog on fisher.

Pistonfan1
08-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Id take Beno over fisher. Beno can create his own shots and can run the O and hes just a rookie. Beno is much more talented and In a heartbeat I would take him over Fisher. Fisher is a nobody now he did okay in LA cuz he hit clutch shots and Ill give him that. A nice spot up shooter who flops. Beno can pass and create his own shot. I forgot that piece of crap is still in the league. Maybe saying hunter>fisher was going overboard but Id take arroyo over him along with tons and tons of other pgs. You guys just want him cuz he beat you with that .4 shot :lol

Sense
08-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Id take Beno over fisher. Beno can create his own shots and can run the O and hes just a rookie. Beno is much more talented and In a heartbeat I would take him over Fisher. Fisher is a nobody now he did okay in LA cuz he hit clutch shots and Ill give him that. A nice spot up shooter who flops. Beno can pass and create his own shot. I forgot that piece of crap is still in the league. Maybe saying hunter>fisher was going overboard but Id take arroyo over him along with tons and tons of other pgs. You guys just want him cuz he beat you with that .4 shot :lol

I can tell you don't know shit about basketball..

And it seems you aren't very literate.. Not that the forums are, but you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Google fisher or something.

itzsoweezee
08-07-2005, 08:10 PM

i could really give you an education on that one right there buddy

do it then, buddy. fisher has made more stars out of 2nd rate point guards than any other in the league. i haven't seen him do shit on defense. he takes charges, that's it (even on the last fucking shot of the game). he can't man up anyone. i watched him on the warriors, and surprise surprise, w/o kobe and shaq, he sucked.

itzsoweezee
08-07-2005, 08:14 PM
And it seems you aren't very literate.. Not that the forums are, but you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

seems like you don't have much of a grasp on the english language yourself.

Pistonfan1
08-07-2005, 09:03 PM
I can tell you don't know shit about basketball..

Google fisher or something.

I have watched Fisher but please to say you want him over Beno??????? Fisher was all noted out because of his days in LA playing with Kobe/Shaq. Who is he now??? Tell me that!! Ok so he hustles and made big shots during his Laker days with TWO SUPERSTARS on it! Fisher cant create his own shot and cant drive and penetrate worth a crap.I am not comparing fisher to stars in the NBA but he isnt as good as some of you point him out to be. The fact that you would take a skilled and rising young pg of Beno and take Fisher over him just blows me away. I know ball and I am stating facts and if you spurs fans cant agree with me on that then that means you dont even know your own damn team. I will always remember Fisher in tears after my Pistons ended that team for good. "I am going to enjoy my last few days with these guys" :lol :rollin

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Fisher for Nazr. Im not saying Fisher is all that great or what but he brings veteran leadership. Pop and Buford have in the past brought in guys like Ferry and Kerr to provide that veteran leadership and teach the younger guys. Dont know how the numbers would work out.

What do you guys think? Cause we aint going to sign Nazr.

Sense
08-07-2005, 11:20 PM
seems like you don't have much of a grasp on the english language yourself.

Quote me with it.

Sense
08-07-2005, 11:22 PM
I have watched Fisher but please to say you want him over Beno??????? Fisher was all noted out because of his days in LA playing with Kobe/Shaq. Who is he now??? Tell me that!! Ok so he hustles and made big shots during his Laker days with TWO SUPERSTARS on it! Fisher cant create his own shot and cant drive and penetrate worth a crap.I am not comparing fisher to stars in the NBA but he isnt as good as some of you point him out to be. The fact that you would take a skilled and rising young pg of Beno and take Fisher over him just blows me away. I know ball and I am stating facts and if you spurs fans cant agree with me on that then that means you dont even know your own damn team. I will always remember Fisher in tears after my Pistons ended that team for good. "I am going to enjoy my last few days with these guys" :lol :rollin

We don't want a star, or a starter...

We want a legitimate backup pointguard and if Malik Rose "made a good backup," anyone can.

Personally, I'm one of Beno's huge fans...but I'd take fisher for his experience, character, and hustle. You definately know that you can put him in crunch time...but that doesn't make my mind up on him.

I've studied fisher alot and I like what I see..

I didn't like what I saw from beno though...we have to see him grow throughout years until he has fisher's experience.