PDA

View Full Version : Abdur-Rahim: "I don't feel I want to be a Net"

Kori Ellis
08-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I DON'T WANT TO BE A NET'

By LENN ROBBINS
NY Post

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/26727.htm

August 7, 2005 -- The Nets have bigger problems than the condition of Shareef Abdur-Rahim's right knee. The team's handling of medical concerns growing from his physical have alienated the power forward to the point where he on longer wants join the team.

"Right now I don't feel I want to be a Net," Abdur-Rahim told The Post last night by telephone.

"I can go somewhere else and play my career out. This is not an emotional thing. I've got to stand up for myself."

When the Nets announced on Thursday that their deal with the Trail Blazers for Abdur-Rahim had been put on hold, the 6-foot-9 power forward said he understood the franchise was doing it's due diligence.

But when the situation wasn't resolved by yesterday and Abdur-Rahim was overwhelmed by phone calls from concerned friends and family saying they had read newspaper and Internet accounts of him failing his physical, he became more upset.

By 8 o'clock last night, Abdur-Rahim had yet to go out and celebrate his fifth wedding anniversary. He was on the phone discussing his options with his agent, Aaron Goodwin, and telling The Post how disenchanted with the Nets he had become.

"At this point I feel they're doing me a disservice," said Abdur-Rahim. "Look at my history. I've never missed a game because of my knees. They could have asked the team that drafted me [Vancouver] or any of the teams that have traded for me [Atlanta, Portland]. Instead, they're putting it out there like I failed the physical and I'm damaged goods.

"I don't want to be there," continued Abdur-Rahim. "We can just part ways and I'll find another situation where I'll have to do some damage control."

Abdur-Rahim doesn't have the power to stop the deal, but as Goodwin pointed out, "If you were the Nets, why would you bring in a player who no longer wants to be there?"

The Nets had a news conference scheduled for Thursday morning to introduce Abdur-Rahim, but an MRI found scar tissue in his right knee resulting from an injury he suffered in high school. He underwent arthroscopic surgery in 1993 and has never missed a game in college or during his nine-year NBA career because of a knee injury.

But because the Nets are investing $38 million and six years in Abdur-Rahim, they put the trade on hold.

Net President Rod Thorn never said Abdur-Rahim failed the physical - rather that the team had a concern.

"We're trying to gather all the information and make as informed a decision as we can," Thorn told The Post last night. "It's something that came out of the blue. It's something that we were not at all aware of."

A source told The Post the Nets sent copies of the MRI to three of the most prominent sports orthopedic surgeons in the nation - Dr. David Altcheck, Dr. Russ Warren, the Giants' team doctor, and Dr. James Andrews, who pioneered what is now known as Tommy John surgery.

Goodwin told The Post on Friday that Altcheck agreed with the power forward that the condition is not one for concern. The Nets agreed to send a 2006 protected first-round lottery pick and the team's $4.9 million trade exception to Portland for Abdur-Rahim.

The Nets have until Friday to complete the deal.

Sense
08-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Wow... shocking.

Should we take the nets out of contention ?

And do you think the Spurs would have a legitimate chance to get him?

Tobias
08-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Then why did he sign there??

Sense
08-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Then why did he sign there??

He hasn't signed yet... the Nets wanted to see if his knee was alright, they were having doubts before he would be actually signed.

It looks like he won't be signed.

texasqb2
08-07-2005, 10:16 AM
YES!!!-snatch this guy up and we can finally deal Rasho and get us a SF and be done with it, maybe even Van Exel too!

usckk
08-07-2005, 11:43 AM
I was the Net's owner I would do a three-team trade that would send the Spurs SAR and they would get Rasho.

picnroll
08-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Abdur-Rahim doesn't have the power to stop the deal, but as Goodwin pointed out, "If you were the Nets, why would you bring in a player who no longer wants to be there?"

Did he sign the contract? If he signed was there a condition fo the contract that said the contract goes into effect only upon successful completion of a physical exam? If so is there a limit on how long the Nets can hold it up seeking medical opinions?

usckk
08-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Yes, the Nets have 5 more days

Slomo
08-07-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't get it. Why do you want a player that the Nets have reservations about? Don't you think that there might be something wrong? It's not like the Nets are going to gain anything by stalling for no reason.

picnroll
08-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Yes, the Nets have 5 more days
Ahh just saw it at the bottom of the article. :oops

Slomo
08-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Spurs need to do something and act on this

even if there is something wrong we are deep enough to handle it Why do they need to act?

And we're are not deep enough if AR is a bust.

picnroll
08-07-2005, 12:28 PM
wtf. Spurs need a reliable backup PG and a long defensive SF.

TheTruth
08-07-2005, 12:31 PM
i'm with slomo...why would the nets put a hold on this thing unless they were really, really concerned about the knee.

Useruser666
08-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't get it. Why do you want a player that the Nets have reservations about? Don't you think that there might be something wrong? It's not like the Nets are going to gain anything by stalling for no reason.

Well, you know how well the Nets track record is with identifying injuries in players?

MannyIsGod
08-07-2005, 12:37 PM
He's had this condition his entire career. I don't think its as big a problem as the Nets are making it out to be. Also, I don't think the Spurs would have a shot either way. They already gave Oberto part of the MLE.

TheTruth
08-07-2005, 01:03 PM
sign and trade would be the only way.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Well the Nets coveted him all summer, so it's not like they are exaggerating his injury. They just want to get it checked out to make sure they aren't getting damaged goods. They'll probably get a couple more doctors to check out the MRI to assure them and then the deal with go through.

bigbendbruisebrother
08-07-2005, 01:37 PM
He hasn't signed yet... the Nets wanted to see if his knee was alright, they were having doubts before he would be actually signed.

It looks like he won't be signed.

Then why does the article point out that SAR has no control over the situation? He was a free agent, right? If he hasn't signed he can just walk away from the deal.

It sounds to me like he signed the contract but the Nets haven't yet.

Anybody have any clear specifics as to whether SAR signed a contract with the Nets?

Mr. Body
08-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Sounds like the reporter got him in an extremely down mood and protecting himself from disappointment. I expect NJ to clear this up soon. He'll be very happy to play there.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Then why does the article point out that SAR has no control over the situation? He was a free agent, right? If he hasn't signed he can just walk away from the deal.

It sounds to me like he signed the contract but the Nets haven't yet.

Anybody have any clear specifics as to whether SAR signed a contract with the Nets?

This was in the original press release ...

As expected, Shareef Abdur-Rahim signed Tuesday with the New Jersey Nets for five years, pending the results of his physical.

Taking it to the Hole
08-07-2005, 02:56 PM
So Kori, technically Portland still has his rights then, because the signed contract is voided if he failed his physical? So would we have to do a sign-and -trade with the Nets or Portland, because wasn't Portland getting a first-round pick from the Nets?

bigbendbruisebrother
08-07-2005, 04:05 PM
So Kori, technically Portland still has his rights then, because the signed contract is voided if he failed his physical? So would we have to do a sign-and -trade with the Nets or Portland, because wasn't Portland getting a first-round pick from the Nets?

Portland signed him. The Nets are balking at the trade, not the contract. Portland has his contract, and if the trade falls through, I would guess they'd have to peddle him in another deal. If he is damaged goods, Portland would appear to be the proud owner of a $38 million albatross.

exstatic
08-07-2005, 04:08 PM
It would have to be with Portland. If NJ fails him on the physical, the contract and the trade are voided, but Portland would still hold his Bird rights, so any deal would have to be with them.

Edit: a sign and trade contract is only valid if the trade goes through. Portland is NOT stuck with him.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
08-08-2005, 09:24 AM
From ESPN.com 'The Sports Guy':

25. "It's so damn hot! Milk was a bad choice."

http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2005/0805/photo/anchorman2_275.jpgThink the Nets are sleeping like babies right now?To the Nets, who geared their entire summer around a Shareef Abdur-Rahim sign-and-trade and found out he couldn't pass a physical. Ouch. Why not pursue Antoine Walker over Shareef? Since when has Shareef ever been on a winning team? Isn't he the quintessential "Good stats/bad team" guy of the past 10 years? And while we're here, everyone needs to settle down with the whole "The Nets could be a top-five team!" stuff. Let's get an extended look at Kidd's knees and Vince's everything before we start lumping them in with the Pistons, Pacers and Heat.

:blah

50 cent
08-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Let's get an extended look at ...Vince's everything before we start lumping them in with the Pistons, Pacers and Heat.

:blah
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Marcus Bryant
08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Certainly reads like he's headed elsewhere.

tlongII
08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
The deal with New Jersey is going through. It's in today's New York Post.

BillsCarnage
08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Yep, you can kiss those SAR dreams good-bye.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/26762.htm

August 8, 2005 -- The roller-coaster courtship between Shareef Abdur-Rahim and the Nets seems to be headed toward a happy ending, and both sides can only hope the marriage is more stable than the dating process.

Spurred on by yesterday's exclusive story in The Post in which Abdur-Rahim — upset by the Nets' handling of medical concerns that arose in his physical — said he no longer wanted to join the franchise, the team is expected to announce today it is going through with the deal.

Abdur-Rahim, 28, who was courted heavily by the Nets, was disillusioned by the team's last-second decision to seek additional medical opinions about scar tissue in his right knee.

When his feelings were published in yesterday's Post, Nets star Jason Kidd, coach Lawrence Frank and Thorn called Abdur-Rahim to rebuild the relationship, sources told The Post.

"Shareef is a good guy, and No. 1, he's a professional," said Thorn. "I understand there's some anxiety and trepidation when the possibility of not ending up with the team you chose arises. We feel we have all the information we need to make a decision within the next day or two."

The Nets have reason to be cautious since they are investing six years and $38 million in the deal. They sent copies of his MRI to three leading orthopedic surgeons and now must decide if they want to complete a sign-and-trade deal with the Trail Blazers.

In addition to sending Portland a protected No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft, the Nets are shipping their $4.9 million trade exception to the Trail Blazers. They lose that exception at midnight tomorrow, so time is of the essence.

"The real reason for me coming to New Jersey is I feel like we have a real good chance to compete for a championship," Abdur-Rahim said last night by telephone. "I don't think that's changed. I just wish things had been handled better, with me in mind.

"But it is what it is. I know I have a lot of basketball left in me. I thought that's one of the reasons the Nets came after me as hard as they did. I don't want them making a decision they're not comfortable with. I'm a grown man; if this goes through, I signed a contract and will work hard to earn it."

:drunk

Walton Buys Off Me
08-08-2005, 03:25 PM
The Nets can compete for a championship?

In what league?

ducks
08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
nets>>>>cavs

ducks
08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
nets>>>>suns if suns lose jj

Banks91
08-08-2005, 03:48 PM
The suns will not be as bad as people think they will

They will be at least 50win team, u can book that right now. Granted they wont be

as good, but cmon on now. Before this year yall hadnt even heard of joe johnson, now

he's supposed to be this superstar??. All u need is nash,marion and amare, and

surround them with marginal talent and ur good to go(not for a championship though).

Banks91
08-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Right now i still pick the suns over any team in the east , except for detroit.

CaptainLate
08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Yep, you can kiss those SAR dreams good-bye.

"The real reason for me coming to New Jersey is I feel like we have a real good chance to compete for a championship," Abdur-Rahim said last night by telephone.

LMAO.

We don't need idiots on the Spurs. Goodbye, SAR.

ducks
08-08-2005, 04:38 PM
I am going on record and saying nash will not be as good this year as last year
he was set out to prove how foolish cuban was letting him walk
the honeymoon is over

nets found a backup for kidd
can the suns with joe gone

BillsCarnage
08-08-2005, 04:58 PM
nets>>>>suns if suns lose jj

:lmao

Suns are being built for the PO's. They'll be just fine without JoJo.

atlfan25
08-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Suns are being built for the PO's. They'll be just fine without JoJo.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

totalspurshomer
08-08-2005, 06:44 PM
The trade AND contract, although signed, become valid upon his passing the physical. He has not passed his physical, but he has not failed his physical, either. That's why he's not free to back out at this point.

The Nets are in control until Friday. They have to pass or fail him on his physical by then.

T Park
08-08-2005, 07:04 PM
uns are being built for the PO's

So why did they get Kurt Thomas, Raja Bell and are interested in choker Michael Finley eh troll?

ducks
08-08-2005, 07:50 PM
finley changes things if suns do not have them they will be the biggest dissappointment in the nba

Sense
08-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Apparently he's going to join the nets?

Damn....

Players can't make up their minds...

exstatic
08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
NJ is just collecting whiney bitches.