PDA

View Full Version : Seriously unfair advantage for Miami to easily walk to the finals

hitmantb
04-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Whomever coming out of West will need a serious grind, probably a couple of minor injuries along the way.

Heat can easily walk to the finals. I was really hoping for the Pacers to give them a serious run for the money but it looks like they may not even make it to the eastern finals at this stage.

Gotta hope Nets or Bulls can hurt a few players on the Heat or at least wear out LeBron. Health/fatigue is such a huge factor. Last year Spurs serious lucked out with only 14 games played before they faced Heat. It was clear Duncan/Parker were worn down by game 6 and 7. If they have to go through a grueling 7 game series against Thunder and Heat sweeps through their series, the finals would be over before it started.

Gagnrath
04-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Heat Pacers won't be a sweep, I know that the heart looks out of the pacers at the moment but the play-offs are a different story.

What happened to the Pacers though they were pretty awesome early in the year then it looked like the heart and team cohesion just fell out of them about 4 weeks after the trade deadline. It wasn't soon enough after for me to blame it on the loss of Granger but I would for sure consider the idea that one of the new players was a serious problem.

Mikeanaro
04-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Least sucks, if the Heat were in the West this would be another story, I dont have too much hope on the Gaycers.

Budkin
04-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Just means the West will be that much better in the Finals.

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2014, 12:48 PM
The road to the Finals never really plays a part in the result, tbh..

Axegrinder
04-12-2014, 12:58 PM
wishing players get hurt is weak..gtfo

Raven
04-12-2014, 01:59 PM
team talent really says nothing about their physical play, i doubt miami can go past chicago and indiana without some sort of fight.. injuries don't come because the game is intense.

eric365
04-12-2014, 02:02 PM
The same thing was said last year before the playoff
And the spurs only lost 2 games on their way to the finals while the heat had to go to a game 7 in ECF. You never know

dbreiden83080
04-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Pacers can still get into a rhythm for the playoffs.. ECF could still be a battle..

dbreiden83080
04-12-2014, 02:21 PM
If Spurs play at their best no series should go past 6 until the WCF with OKC..

ace3g
04-12-2014, 02:29 PM
If Spurs play at their best no series should go past 6 until the WCF with OKC..

Agree, and I still believe Pop will unveil "Operation Post Up" in the playoffs to add a few more wrinkles to the offense.

Kidd K
04-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the last 15 years. The East has been garbage ever since Jordan retired from the Bulls.

dbreiden83080
04-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the last 15 years. The East has been garbage ever since Jordan retired from the Bulls.

It is amazing that Jordan retired and the powers of the west all stepped up and have not come down really since. East teams have won chips but the conference has just been shit for 16 years basically. Lots of teams drafting shit players or busts over the years..

TheyCallMePro
04-12-2014, 03:39 PM
It's always been unfair.

Miami in 2011 played:
(7) Philadelphia 76ers (41-41)
(3) Boston Celtics (56-26)
(1) Chicago Bulls (62-20)

Miami in 2012 played:
(7) New York Knicks (36-30)
(3) Indiana Pacers (42-24)
(4) Boston Celtics (39-27)

Miami in 2013 played:
(8) Milwaukee Bucks (38-44)
(5) Chicago Bulls (45-37)
(3) Indiana Pacers (49-32)

I mean seriously, every year their first round opponent was an absolute joke, and the teams that 'challenged' them were the OLD Boston Celtics and the talent-less Indiana Pacers. Their only legitimate opponent in this past 3 year span in the East was the Chicago Bulls back in 2011.

The East has always been a joke for as long as I've watched the NBA (since 1999). It's kind of unbelievable to me that people have only really started to notice how bad the East really is. It took a historically awful season for heads to finally start turning, but it's always been this way. As far as I'm concerned Miami only has to beat one team in a series every year: the Western Conference Champion. Which is patently unfair as the West champ has to go through 3 good to great teams to even get there. First thing I'm going to tell my kids one day when they ask about how great Lebron was winning all of those championships I'm going to say: "Yeah, but he played in the East. He only had to beat one legitimate and very tired team in the Finals every year. Otherwise his competition was a joke--so ignore most of what he accomplished."

sammy
04-12-2014, 03:56 PM
It's always been unfair.

Miami in 2011 played:
(7) Philadelphia 76ers (41-41)
(3) Boston Celtics (56-26)
(1) Chicago Bulls (62-20)

Miami in 2012 played:
(7) New York Knicks (36-30)
(3) Indiana Pacers (42-24)
(4) Boston Celtics (39-27)

Miami in 2013 played:
(8) Milwaukee Bucks (38-44)
(5) Chicago Bulls (45-37)
(3) Indiana Pacers (49-32)

I mean seriously, every year their first round opponent was an absolute joke, and the teams that 'challenged' them were the OLD Boston Celtics and the talent-less Indiana Pacers. Their only legitimate opponent in this past 3 year span in the East was the Chicago Bulls back in 2011.

The East has always been a joke for as long as I've watched the NBA (since 1999). It's kind of unbelievable to me that people have only really started to notice how bad the East really is. It took a historically awful season for heads to finally start turning, but it's always been this way. As far as I'm concerned Miami only has to beat one team in a series every year: the Western Conference Champion. Which is patently unfair as the West champ has to go through 3 good to great teams to even get there. First thing I'm going to tell my kids one day when they ask about how great Lebron was winning all of those championships I'm going to say: "Yeah, but he played in the East. He only had to beat one legitimate and very tired team in the Finals every year. Otherwise his competition was a joke--so ignore most of what he accomplished."

Great post! Lebroom doesn't get my respect as he wins in a crappy conference and doesn't have to battle like the Spurs against the West teams! Of course he can break records in scoring etc. but he plays against the weak east teams so there should be an * next to his records!

Darkwaters
04-12-2014, 04:37 PM
If they Heat were in the West they'd be a 4 or 5 seed.

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Miami was 44-16 vs. the West during their 2 title years, tbh..

thunderup
04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Whoever comes out of the East goes through a much tougher grind. Eastern conference teams, although lacking in talent, play the type of grind-it-out game that feeds into a battle of attrition. The cute little notion that Miami's path to the title is weak is something the generally retarded NBA fan has subscribed to in a way to downplay a championship.

BatManu20
04-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Pacers can still get into a rhythm for the playoffs.. ECF could still be a battle..

Pacers are done. I've watched them play 3 times in the past couple weeks and they look beyond awful. Like they've already mentally quit. Hibbert is a shell of himself and George Hill gives them nothing. I'd honestly be surprised if they even make it to the ECF at this tbh. Miami cake walks to the Finals.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Spurs will get thrashed by OKC

RD2191
04-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Whoever comes out of the East goes through a much tougher grind. Eastern conference teams, although lacking in talent, play the type of grind-it-out game that feeds into a battle of attrition. The cute little notion that Miami's path to the title is weak is something the generally retarded NBA fan has subscribed to in a way to downplay a championship.
:lmao:lmao

heyheymymy
04-12-2014, 06:30 PM
they should add another round to the east playoffs if the conference doesn't meet a certain overall win % at the end of the reg season.

mercos
04-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Miami basically gets a bye in the first round, but after that it gets tougher. Either Toronto, Chicago, or Brooklyn are comparable to Houston/Portland at this point. Brooklyn even swept Miami in the regular season, and could present match up problems for the Heat in a 7 game series. If Indiana can find their mojo, they are an elite team as well.

All that being said, I think fatigue, both mental and physical, will be Miami's biggest problem this year. Reaching the Finals four straight times is a monumental task.

sook
04-12-2014, 06:50 PM
I think Toronto, Bkn and Chicago will surprise this year.

xellos88330
04-12-2014, 07:12 PM
I don't know about Chicago, but Toronto and Brooklyn have my attention.

heyheymymy
04-12-2014, 08:18 PM
brooklyn could pose as a dark horse in these playoffs, but i've lost all faith in the pacers at this point i'm sorry.

baseline bum
04-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Spurs will get thrashed by OKC

Be sure to start the game threads, as the butthurt when you do is fucking hilarious.

dunkman
04-12-2014, 08:34 PM
I don't think the Heat will make to the finals for the 4-th consecutive time. And it's an ilusion the east conference is weaker, otherwise all 'ships since Jordan would have been won by west teams.

therealtruth
04-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Kind of interesting. So the only 50 win teams the Heat faced in the playoffs was in '11 and that was the year they were gassed by the time they got to the Finals? It's actually a very good point. It takes alot more energy to beat 50 win teams in the West vs 40 win teams in the East.

HarlemHeat37
04-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Kind of interesting. So the only 50 win teams the Heat faced in the playoffs was in '11 and that was the year they were gassed by the time they got to the Finals? It's actually a very good point. It takes alot more energy to beat 50 win teams in the West vs 40 win teams in the East.

That's true, but playing against physical teams in the playoffs is a lot more damaging than simply exerting energy IMO, and the only physical team in the West the past few seasons has been the Grizzlies..

Teams in the East don't have the offensive firepower or talent, leading to slow-paced/physical basketball, which is more gruelling in the playoffs, tbh..

Kidd K
04-12-2014, 09:11 PM
It is amazing that Jordan retired and the powers of the west all stepped up and have not come down really since. East teams have won chips but the conference has just been shit for 16 years basically. Lots of teams drafting shit players or busts over the years..

Until LeBron went to Miami, east only won 3 titles of 14. :\ Really awful ratio. And 2 of those 3 happened with megastars joining a team there.

The saddest thing of all is that the east isn't steadily getting better. It just fluctuates from mediocre to bad then back to mediocre. I'm finding myself always skipping eastern conference matchups on league pass because they usually feature at least one awful team.

TheyCallMePro
04-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Until LeBron went to Miami, east only won 3 titles of 14. :\ Really awful ratio. And 2 of those 3 happened with megastars joining a team there.

The saddest thing of all is that the east isn't steadily getting better. It just fluctuates from mediocre to bad then back to mediocre. I'm finding myself always skipping eastern conference matchups on league pass because they usually feature at least one awful team.

Not to mention the fact that one of them was completely rigged when Miami beat Dallas in 2006. Wade got EVERY single call. I've never seen a more poorly officiated playoff series--and I'm a Spurs fan who hates the Mavs. It was pure robbery. Probably the NBA's worst moment. And it completely turned Cuban against Stern and all the officials. He's hated all of their guts ever since, and I can't blame him.

poop
04-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Not to mention the fact that one of them was completely rigged when Miami beat Dallas in 2006. Wade got EVERY single call. I've never seen a more poorly officiated playoff series--and I'm a Spurs fan who hates the Mavs. It was pure robbery. Probably the NBA's worst moment. And it completely turned Cuban against Stern and all the officials. He's hated all of their guts ever since, and I can't blame him.2006 was tainted. Ive been saying this for years. No one paid attention until it was PROVEN that shady shit took place in 2002.The 2006 playoff were at least as bullshit as the 2002.

Sean Cagney
04-13-2014, 12:27 AM

I always wanted to ask you, are you a Heat or Spurs fan? Your name and avi at times say Heat but you say your team the Spurs?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-13-2014, 12:48 AM

And?

Far easier to get up for West teams when you're not having to play them night in/out on the reg, tbh.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-13-2014, 02:07 AM
Be sure to start the game threads, as the butthurt when you do is fucking hilarious.

:toast

Kidd K
04-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Not to mention the fact that one of them was completely rigged when Miami beat Dallas in 2006. Wade got EVERY single call. I've never seen a more poorly officiated playoff series--and I'm a Spurs fan who hates the Mavs. It was pure robbery. Probably the NBA's worst moment. And it completely turned Cuban against Stern and all the officials. He's hated all of their guts ever since, and I can't blame him.

I do agree actually. The 2006 Finals was one of the worst officiated series I've seen aside from Spurs/Thunder 2012 and the infamous Lakers/Kings 4th quarter fix. The "Leastern conference" does not appear to be digging its way out any time soon. Maybe when the Heat break up that conference might grow a pair and actually try again.

I do want to say I don't feel the refs did much of anything to fix it for Miami last year though. I wasn't 100% happy but they were 85-90% accurate when factoring fairness in non calls both ways.

04-13-2014, 10:11 AM
I do agree actually. The 2006 Finals was one of the worst officiated series I've seen aside from Spurs/Thunder 2012 and the infamous Lakers/Kings 4th quarter fix. The "Leastern conference" does not appear to be digging its way out any time soon. Maybe when the Heat break up that conference might grow a pair and actually try again.

I do want to say I don't feel the refs did much of anything to fix it for Miami last year though. I wasn't 100% happy but they were 85-90% accurate when factoring fairness in non calls both ways.Agreed. I wish they would have called that foul on green in OT, but they also didn't call the moving screen on Tiago. I don't feel it was fixed at all, which is pretty shocking tbh.

04-13-2014, 10:12 AM
I always wanted to ask you, are you a Heat or Spurs fan? Your name and avi at times say Heat but you say your team the Spurs?

Kidd K
04-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Agreed. I wish they would have called that foul on green in OT, but they also didn't call the moving screen on Tiago. I don't feel it was fixed at all, which is pretty shocking tbh.

Yeah there was some missed shit but they didn't bail Miami out like they did OKC in 2012, so I was content with the refs for sure. I do think Miami got away with more fouls but I'll take that tradeoff in exchange for no bailouts.

Pretty sure he's both and Heat first iirc.

Sean Cagney
04-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Yeah there was some missed shit but they didn't bail Miami out like they did OKC in 2012, so I was content with the refs for sure. I do think Miami got away with more fouls but I'll take that tradeoff in exchange for no bailouts.

Pretty sure he's both and Heat first iirc.

F the Heat....

gospursgojas
04-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Miami gets a freebie series, every year. So basically a first round bye. And with there only ever being 3 or 4 good teams ever in the East , the second round is almost as easy...Miami get the bucks, 6ers, Knicks, where teams like OKC and SA have to play the memphis, Golden states, Clippers of the league.

therealtruth
04-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Wade was aggressive in attacking the basket and the refs tend to reward that. Also it didn't help that the Mavs panicked and imploded. Don't forget JH "timeout." Or Avery switching hotels.

The_Coyote
04-13-2014, 04:37 PM

I think you're misconstruing bad offense for good defense.

heyheymymy
04-13-2014, 06:09 PM
i think an easy road to the finals can be a disadvantage too if they don't get enough of a challenge to get them into a rythmn. teams can get blindsided if they don't have good competition the rounds before.

Clipper Nation
04-13-2014, 06:15 PM
:lol False on all accounts.... Dallas' worst loss of that series came in a game where Wade only shot 9 free throws, they chokedPERIOD.... I hate Wade, but his FT's were a distraction from the Mavs blowing a 2-0 lead and losing their composure....

Additionally, Cuban has done nothing but suck up to Stern and Silver ever since 2011.... in fact, his last real immature moment was during the Mavs/Nuggets series in '09 when he kept talking shit to K-Mart and his mother....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-14-2014, 12:49 AM
The Heat will not make the Finals. They'll get knocked off by Indy. They are lucky to avoid the 4-5 bracket and both Brooklyn and Chicago though.

Sean Cagney
04-14-2014, 01:12 AM
:lol False on all accounts.... Dallas' worst loss of that series came in a game where Wade only shot 9 free throws, they chokedPERIOD.... I hate Wade, but his FT's were a distraction from the Mavs blowing a 2-0 lead and losing their composure....

Additionally, Cuban has done nothing but suck up to Stern and Silver ever since 2011.... in fact, his last real immature moment was during the Mavs/Nuggets series in '09 when he kept talking shit to K-Mart and his mother....

Mavs were up 13 late in game 3, heads can blame refs all they want but honestly the Mavs choked bigtime even letting that series get to where it should not have been at 3-2 going home. They had it, period.

Venti Quattro
04-14-2014, 01:16 AM
Quit bitching and get used to it. The West has been like this for over a decade now

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2014, 01:30 AM
The West was pretty bad from 2008 to 2010, tbh..

The declining Spurs with Finley starting, the Denver fucking Nuggets and the post-prime Suns were the Lakers' main competitors:lol..

dg7md
04-14-2014, 02:38 AM
The East is easy but Chicago and Indiana are scrappy teams that always give the Heat a fit. I don't think they'll have an "easy path" after enduring a series with them.

That being said, yes, the West is so much better than the East it's almost a joke, but the East has a few teams that can cause some fits.

Venti Quattro
04-14-2014, 03:01 AM
No it wasn't. The Lakers were just that good and were at the peak of their powers.

TampaDude
04-14-2014, 05:07 AM
No it wasn't. The Lakers were just that good and were at the peak of their powers.

LOL 39.

Kidd K
04-14-2014, 05:14 AM

The declining Spurs with Finley starting, the Denver fucking Nuggets and the post-prime Suns were the Lakers' main competitors:lol..

I don't disagree with this either. Multiple west teams were seemingly injured all year.

Softest west years in awhile. Too bad Spurs could never get healthy back then.

Venti Quattro
04-14-2014, 09:08 AM
LOL 39.

3 finals appearances
2/3 wins
Got revenge vs Boston

While the Spurs lost to a 7th seed Mavs and an 8th seed Grizzlies in the same span.

Game, set, match and you are a faggot.

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2014, 09:55 AM

The Lakers were a great team that was a level above the rest of the West, but they didn't have any challenges in the conference, tbh..

Their toughest competitor in 2009 was a Rockets team that was carried by Aaron Brooks:lol..

Venti Quattro
04-14-2014, 10:07 AM
The Lakers were a great team that was a level above the rest of the West, but they didn't have any challenges in the conference, tbh..

Their toughest competitor in 2009 was a Rockets team that was carried by Aaron Brooks:lol..

That would be #2 imo as Boston would still be #1. You are correct though. That undersized but gritty Rox team scared the shit out of Lakers fans in 2009.

Funny how the undersized Landry and Hayes were cucking Gasol and Bynum in Houston and yet the Lakers bigs were so dominant in Los Angeles.

Johnny RIngo
04-14-2014, 04:26 PM

2009 was really weak for the West. IIRC, it was the first time the West had a losing record against the East in the past 15 years.

Aztecfan03
04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
2009 was really weak for the West. IIRC, it was the first time the West had a losing record against the East in the past 15 years.

Weak by the West's standards but average at worst compared to the East's standards.

Aztecfan03
04-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Using Spurs losing to Grizz does not help the "west was weak" argument. That would be like the 8 seed beating Miami if wade or bosh were out. That isn't going to happen in the east, because the east is too weak.

Knoxxx
04-14-2014, 07:11 PM
As we speak the Heat are conceding the East's top seed down 22 to wiz while resting James and Bosh.

SpurAddict561
04-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Brooklyn has the vets to pull it off, go Nets!!

BillMc
04-15-2014, 06:20 AM
Miami is happier with the number 2 seed, as that means the 3 Eastern teams they have the most trouble with Indiana, Chicago, and Brooklyn are all on the opposite side of the bracket. Instead they get Charlotte and likely Toronto (whom they swept). Two more rounds of light minutes for Wade, and they only have to face 1 tough team to get out of the East.