PDA

View Full Version : Spurs looking at Wright??

Trainwreck2100
08-07-2005, 11:22 AM
"Lorenzen Wright deals have poured in from at least a half dozen teams. The most persistent suitors have been Toronto and San Antonio but both teams are offering less serviceable players and bloated contracts. The Griz have rejected those as wells as offers from Utah, Sacramento, Minnesota." Memphis Commercial Appeal

"Interestingly enough, the Griz still value Wright despite his public trade demand. West said there is a good chance that Wright could be on the roster when training camp begins. Trade talks involving Wright have been fruitless as far as the Grizzlies are concerned. "He's earned the right to become a free agent, and we could offer him another contract at that time," West said. "I'm not mad at Lorenzen. This is part of the business." Memphis Commercial Appeallink (http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm)

saspot
08-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Would be a nice backup, sure why not but for the right price of course.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2005, 01:30 PM
The most persistent suitors have been Toronto and San Antonio but both teams are offering less serviceable players and bloated contracts.

I guess no one wants Rasho. :(

HB22inSA
08-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Well, I'm flattered!!!

I'm a pretty good ball player, but I didn't think I could play NBA ball, especially not with the Spurs, maybe it's one of those 10-day cont...(gets tapped on the shoulder and told it's Lorenzen)...like I was saying, he would be great, as a back-up.

:oops

SA Spurs The Pride of Texas"
Damn, long time, no see...

bigbendbruisebrother
08-07-2005, 01:42 PM
The most persistent suitors have been Toronto and San Antonio but both teams are offering less serviceable players and bloated contracts. The Griz have rejected those as wells as offers from Utah, Sacramento, Minnesota."

I guess no one wants Rasho. :(

I guess "serviceable" has become the code word for Rasho.

timvp
08-07-2005, 01:56 PM
:lol @ the Spurs trying to pawn Rasho off for whatever they can get.

Wright is pretty decent but that would have gone down as sexual assault if the Spurs would have gotten him for Rasho.

Mr. Body
08-07-2005, 02:12 PM
And this board thought they could get Josh Childress for him.

timvp
08-07-2005, 02:27 PM
And you thought they could get Al Harrington for him.

Taking it to the Hole
08-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Damn, Rasho can't get love from anybody? :depressed I'm surprised he hasn't driven himself off a bridge yet? :drunk

clubalien
08-07-2005, 03:20 PM
if malik can get traded rasho can get traded

Cant_Be_Faded
08-07-2005, 03:25 PM
damn i want wright

fucking rasho, what were they thinking with that huge contract

Spurminator
08-07-2005, 03:40 PM
It's clear that Rasho's market value is lower than his production value for the Spurs. At this point it would be wise to keep him on the roster instead of casting him off for scraps. Perhaps he can somehow increase his value over the first half of the season.

spurschick
08-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Rasho = amnesty?

timvp
08-07-2005, 04:25 PM
It's clear that Rasho's market value is lower than his production value for the Spurs. At this point it would be wise to keep him on the roster instead of casting him off for scraps. Perhaps he can somehow increase his value over the first half of the season.

I somewhat agree with that. The best the Spurs can get for him this season is trash that makes $6M per year. He's actually serviceable and could be a good spot player.

Maybe if he comes out and puts up good per-48 numbers, the Spurs could trade him. Teams like players who average like four point and four rebounds in ten minutes.

iminlakerland
08-07-2005, 04:38 PM
we will take rasho if u guys take devean george

snyderman
08-07-2005, 05:06 PM
is Wright a step up from Nazr or Rasho?

T Park
08-07-2005, 07:07 PM
we will take rasho if u guys take devean george

T Park
08-07-2005, 08:23 PM
there is only one word that describes rasho...............sucks.

Same goes for you.

Moron.

exstatic
08-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Too bad Tim Thomas makes so damn much on his ending contract, or Zeke would probably take Rasho off of our hands.

freemeat
08-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Rasho isn't exactly a fan-fave, and he may be over-paid...but when the Spurs play the Heat in the 2006 finals, I think Holt will regret having traded him. If they do swap, they better make sure they get someone of equal size...which means they'd probably have to throw in a few future draft considerations (which aren't very valuable when you're winning championships).

T Park
08-07-2005, 08:41 PM
he may be over-paid

According to who?

He is IMO a better defensive and team guy than Erick Dampier but yet Dampier gets 10 almost 11 million.

So is Rasho overpaid?

exstatic
08-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I think Pop made the determination that with JWill and Employee #8 now on the Heat roster, that they would be too busy jacking up stoopid shit to feed Shaq the ball.

Chris
08-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Rasho isn't exactly a fan-fave, and he may be over-paid...but when the Spurs play the Heat in the 2006 finals, I think Holt will regret having traded him. If they do swap, they better make sure they get someone of equal size...which means they'd probably have to throw in a few future draft considerations (which aren't very valuable when you're winning championships).

So basically what you're saying is that Naz can't play defense and has no hope of conforming to what the Spurs are all about?

I was thinking Rasho off the bench would be great, but then I looked at his contract and it makes much more sense to try and trade him to a team where he could start. He is a quality starting center but no longer has anything to contribute to this team.

If Oberto isn't a bust then size won't be a concern for us in the long term/immediate future.

exstatic
08-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I think Rasho is in the Malik position: too much $$$ for a benchie. Manu and Tony both signed for the MAX length that they could last year, a 6 year new contract for non- Bird FA Manu and a 6 year extension for Parker, and they both got in on the raise percentages under the old CBA, 10% for Manu and 12.5% for Tony. If we're this close to the Lux Tax this year, what happens in 3 years when those contracts start getting LARGE? Paying Rasho $7M by then could EASILY turn into $14M with tax...

freemeat
08-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I think Riley will realize his mistake, and either have SVG bench them or trade (at least) Walker. Either way, Heat are going to the finals next year, and there are 6 games Rasho plays well -- 4 vs. Yao and the Rockets, 2 v. Shaq and the Heat. Sure, I agree that Rasho's contract is a bust, but it may hurt to give him away because no one wants him. So, we'd have to take a hit with the roster in order to save money. I may be wrong, but the East is improving, and while I still put the Spurs as the team-to-beat, they'll need everything they can get their hands on.

Quote of 2004-2005 season:

"Isahiah Thomas is building a championship team. But it's in San Antonio." -- Charles Barkley

Chris
08-07-2005, 09:06 PM
"Isahiah Thomas is building a championship team. But it's in San Antonio." -- Charles Barkley

LOLLERCOPTERS! :rollin

Supergirl
08-07-2005, 10:36 PM
So basically what you're saying is that Naz can't play defense and has no hope of conforming to what the Spurs are all about?

Well, that is what the stats at 82games.com seems to indicate...Rasho's in the top ten for D, while Nazr's in the bottom 10. Nazr played good D in the playoffs, except against Detroit. But can he do it consistantly, without getting hurt? Remains to be seen.

T Park
08-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Either way, Heat are going to the finals next year

I see, cause they will have great chemistry, no problems right?

Cause they have talent??

Cause talent gaurantees championchips

Sincerely,

04 Los Angeles Lakers.

Trainwreck2100
08-07-2005, 10:55 PM
I see, cause they will have great chemistry, no problems right?

Cause they have talent??

Cause talent gaurantees championchips

Sincerely,

04 Los Angeles Lakers.

I agree, JWill is a turnover machine, especially in the playoffs. (shaq should know this) and Walker doesn't think before he shoots, and can't shoot. So while the fact is they are a powerhouse, their finals birth isn't assured.

Spurminator
08-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Well, the 04 Lakers DID go to the Finals...

T Park
08-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, that is what the stats at 82games.com seems to indicate...Rasho's in the top ten for D, while Nazr's in the bottom 10. Nazr played good D in the playoffs, except against Detroit. But can he do it consistantly, without getting hurt? Remains to be seen

Supergirl= Mr Body?

Mr Body doesnt like any current FAs.

Supergirl doesnt like any current centers.

weird corraltion.

T Park
08-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, the 04 Lakers DID go to the Finals...

Did they win the championship??

No??

Then they failed.

If your season goes by, and you don't win a ring? Its a failure.

That simple.

Second place is first loser.

Spurminator
08-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Either way, Heat are going to the finals next year

MI21
08-07-2005, 11:38 PM
:lol @ Spurm.

Nice.

Sense
08-07-2005, 11:42 PM
LOLLERCOPTERS! :rollin

It's ROFLECOPTERS!!!!

OMG!

http://et-center.com/files/roflcopter.jpg

http://members.cox.net/pimpbot9000/roflcopter.gif

*hopes there's no hotlink message*

Trainwreck2100
08-07-2005, 11:52 PM
*hopes there's no hotlink message*

That's easily avoided, just save whatever it is on your computer and host it on imageshack.

Sense
08-07-2005, 11:57 PM
That's easily avoided, just save whatever it is on your computer and host it on imageshack.

:pctoss

bobbyjoe
08-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Wright reminds me a lot of Nazr Mohammed and would be a real sweet pickup.

Pandaemonaeon
08-08-2005, 06:05 AM
If you throw a pick, we'll give you TAW. Deal?

spurster
08-08-2005, 09:01 AM
I don't quite understand the desperation the Spurs have to trade Rasho. Surely there will be some EC teams that will want him during the season to try to slow down Shaq.

CaptainLate
08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
He is IMO a better defensive and team guy than Erick Dampier but yet Dampier gets 10 almost 11 million.

So is Rasho overpaid?

Good point.

Mgmt thought a change of scenery from Minn would bring out a better player. Since the Spurs trade talks obviously indicate they don't believe it's worked out, and you're looking to unload his contract, then trade him for what you can and cut your losses. Lesson learned.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't quite understand the desperation the Spurs have to trade Rasho

My thoughts are the Spurs front office has gotten the go ahead from Holt and Co. to sign Nazr to a 6 year extension provided they can get Rasho's salary off the books.

Just a guess though.

T Park
08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
^^ Hope your right Aggie, Nazr with Duncan for the next 6 years would be stupendous.

Knoxville Spur
08-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Looking at all the awful contracts out there, Rasho starts to look like a bargain:

Chris Webber: $19.1M
Keith Van Horn: $15.7M
Brian Grant: $14.5M
Tim Thomas: $14.0M
Antonio Davis $13.9M
Theo Ratlif: $11.7M
Maurice Taylor? $9.1M
Jerome James: $5.0M
Raef LaFrentz: $10.0M
Eric Dampier: $7.9M
Jonathan Bender: $7.1M
Kelvin Cato: $8.6M
Carlos Boozer: $11.6M
Kurt Thomas: $6.6M
Marcus Camby: $7.2M
Kenyon Martin: $10.7M
Adonyl Foyl: $7.3M

Sorry, got a bit out of order there. But Rasho at $6.7M is looking better and better to me. I skipped a few players that make less, but their numbers looked VERY pedestrian. The only real bargain I see above is Marcus Camby. Even a mediocre big man is getting $5-10 mill per these days.

I think Rasho stays and Nazr goes unless we get a reasonable offer for Rasho. And if Nazr gets greedy he may go anyway. I'd keep Nazr's minutes down this year in favor of Rasho and Oberto. That should help reign in his asking price.

Rasho can't do much in 1-2 minutes per game, although I agree that his play was disappointing. I don't see how anyone can be that much more satisfied about Nazr and his fumbled passes and getting stripped all the damn time. Nazr was a little more productive per 48 mins but he he is undersized at center.

A center by committee sounds great to me with Rasho/Nazr/Oberto/TD depending on the matchups. None of the first 3 will put up numbers but it should still be a very effective approach.

wildbill2u
08-08-2005, 10:40 PM
God, how I remember all the NASR haters around here when he'd get stripped or do his famous fake pump move. Personally, I like him, but there's no getting around the fact that he's not the second coming of Abdul Jabbar--or even Choclate Thunder.

I think the Center by Committee is what's gonna happen--for reasons of Rasho's contract and Nasr's contract. And it won't be bad.

remingtonbo2001
08-09-2005, 05:03 AM
Rasho is an underrated defender, but due to his recent offensive struggles, as well as minimal playing time, bloated contract, it will be difficult for the Spurs to find a willing suitor. The Spurs have little faith in Rasho, which has caused great concern with other teams around the league. Honestly, 7 million per year is not outragous considering Jerome James, also known as "what the hell are you talking about", is recieving 5 million per year. If someone is willing to pay 5 million for the "services" of Jerome "Dead Weight" James, then I'm sure the Spurs will eventually find a suitor for Rasho. I wouldn't mind keeping Rasho, but it is unlikely he will recieve the amount of time needed to develope into an adaquet center. I would not be surprised if Rasho returns as the Spurs starting center at some point next season. He is more consistant than many have been led to believe. In Minnasota, Rasho was a very consistant offensive player. Yes, offensively, Rasho is "soft", but has a very strong defensive game. I believe the Spurs have wasted an opportunity with Rasho by placing him in a role that is not suitable for his style of play. Rasho should rarely recieve the ball inside the low post, but it seems that the Spurs continued to force feed him down in the post, instead of taking advantage of his outside shot. Unfortunately time has progressed and Rasho has lost a majority of his confidence. Every Spurs fan should know the significance of confidence, "cough cough", Tim Duncan, "nudge" "nudge" Free Throws. While Rasho still has the potential to be a decent center, I believe the Spurs have made their plans very clear with the recent signing of Oberto. If the Spurs do trade Rasho, a team with quality players could benefit a great deal. A team such as Memphis? Maybe?

xcoriate
08-09-2005, 05:53 AM
^ Paragraphs make reading your friend

spurster
08-09-2005, 08:47 AM
My thoughts are the Spurs front office has gotten the go ahead from Holt and Co. to sign Nazr to a 6 year extension provided they can get Rasho's salary off the books.

Just a guess though.
What's the deadline for getting an extension signed?

Cant_Be_Faded
08-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Maybe if he comes out and puts up good per-48 numbers, the Spurs could trade him. Teams like players who average like four point and four rebounds in ten minutes.

I don't see that happening. It took him 30 minutes to average four and four last season.

Kori Ellis
08-09-2005, 01:04 PM
It took him 30 minutes to average four and four last season.

In the regular season, Rasho put up approx 6 and 6.6 in 25.5 mpg -- relatively close to Nazr's playoff numbers of 7 and 6.7 in 23 mpg that most people here die for.

Trainwreck2100
08-09-2005, 02:47 PM
In the regular season, Rasho put up approx 6 and 6.6 in 25.5 mpg -- relatively close to Nazr's playoff numbers of 7 and 6.7 in 23 mpg that most people here die for.

He also had 50x more dunks than Rasho. That was my biggest prob. with him he always tried to hook instead of taking it in.

Kori Ellis
08-09-2005, 02:50 PM
He also had 50x more dunks than Rasho. That was my biggest prob. with him he always tried to hook instead of taking it in.

Yeah because dunks count for more points than hooks. :lol

I am just kidding. I don't like Rasho's lack of aggressive play either. I was just pointing out that his production isn't as low as people think (or maybe Nazr's isn't as high as people think).

ChumpDumper
08-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Probably had 50x less pump fakes and 50x fewer of his own shots blocked. It's not like we're comparing Wilt Chamberlain to Jack Haley. As long as we have Horry and Oberto, we can keep either one of Rasho and Nazr and be fine.