PDA

View Full Version : Considering moving to Houston...

Andy
04-14-2014, 12:59 PM
preferably the Northwest side. Any of you from that area? How's the weather, locals etc.

baseline bum
04-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Weather is horrible

Fpoonsie
04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Traffic is horrible

InRareForm
04-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Baseball team is horrible

Suspect
04-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Basketball team is horrible

cantthinkofanything
04-14-2014, 01:17 PM
But at least the air is fresh.

DPG21920
04-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Football team did horrible last year, but may not be horrible this year, but they have no QB and might be considering taking a QB with the number one pick in the draft.

KoolAid Mans Brother
04-14-2014, 03:04 PM
If you want to live in a city full of vanilla lifestyle, chain restaurants, zero culture, zero originality, 100+ degree summers, and dirty mexicans, then by all means, move to Houston.

Spur|n|Austin
04-14-2014, 03:05 PM
The humidity, smog, drivers, & mosquitoes are actually lovely this time of year.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2014, 03:05 PM
mosquitos as big as sparrows.

Did we mention it rains all the fucking time and the traffic is horrible?

baseline bum
04-14-2014, 03:29 PM
If you want to live in a city full of vanilla lifestyle, chain restaurants, zero culture, zero originality, 100+ degree summers, and dirty mexicans, then by all means, move to Houston.

Nah, Houston summers are more like 97 degrees. It only feels like 110 degrees because of the oppressive humidity tbh.

oh crap
04-14-2014, 03:31 PM
eh. still better than san antonio.

djohn2oo8
04-14-2014, 04:09 PM
If you move to NW, move to the heights area or Jersey Village. Traffic is horrible if you don't have an EZ tag. Cypress is ok, but lots of blacks are starting to move out that way. So I'd say stick around the Heights.

DPG21920
04-14-2014, 05:02 PM

No way IMO. SA>>>HOU

SupremeGuy
04-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Houston is easily the worst big city in Texas, why move there?

benefactor
04-14-2014, 05:59 PM
mosquitos as big as sparrows.

Never seen anything like it. They will harpoon your ass right through your clothing.

Katherine Robinson
04-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Beats San Antonio unless you want to binge on deep fried burritos

hater
04-14-2014, 06:40 PM
consider moving elsewhere :lol

Kim Jong-il
04-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Houston is disgusting place like Mongoria, it gross and smell like Rionel Richie's asshole!

The Gemini Method
04-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Where the cute Vietnamese girls at in H-Town...heard there were some?

Spur|n|Austin
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM

:lol not even close.

OP's silence confirms he's hitting up Zillow for houses in other cities.

oh crap
04-15-2014, 01:29 PM
:lol not even close.

IMO, yeah it is. Big time. San Antonio blows and is so one dimensional. I'll pass on the Riverwalk and Alamo, thanks :lol Decent place to party for a night or two but that's about it.

sook
04-15-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm not from Houston but its >>>>SA imo

Rogue
04-15-2014, 10:49 PM
can you imagine anything that's not horrible existing in the anus of this country?

Rogue
04-15-2014, 11:54 PM
yeah, cheap bitches = great nightlife

DMX7
04-15-2014, 11:54 PM
H-Town has WAY better night life and a lot more going on. I grew up in S.A. though, and it's a great place to grow up, but not a great place to stay if you're a young adult and want to party.

Gummi Clutch
04-16-2014, 12:48 AM
yeah, cheap bitches = great nightlife
what happened to your avi rogue ? :cry

Jerry Sandusky
04-16-2014, 01:01 AM
what happened to your avi rogue ? :cry
That account got banned, I think, and it's also time to put an end to that shtick. Scarlett was God's gift back in the early 2000s and late 1990s but the current one, which's almost 30yrs old and expected to become a mom later this year, is plain and average, and is certainly too old now to arouse my interest. You can still reminisce about the young Scarlett in your memory though.

Gummi Clutch
04-16-2014, 01:04 AM
That account got banned, I think, and it's also time to put an end to that shtick. Scarlett was God's gift back in the early 2000s and late 1990s but the current one, which's almost 30yrs old and expected to become a mom later this year, is plain and average, and is certainly too old now to arouse my interest. You can still reminisce about the young Scarlett in your memory though.
lol its not banned according to what I see. Keep up the good posting though

I'm still a big scarlett fan...have to wait until that parasite pops out and then I'll retire the avi tbh.

sandman
04-16-2014, 09:43 AM
If you move to NW, move to the heights area or Jersey Village. Traffic is horrible if you don't have an EZ tag. Cypress is ok, but lots of blacks are starting to move out that way. So I'd say stick around the Heights.

So I've lived in London for the last year, but was 10 years in Houston before that. I always thought growing up in SA that Houston was a bad place. But outside of the touristy stuff, SA is a bit slow and sleepy. Great place to raise a family, but so is Houston. Better wages, better housing market, about the same weather from a heat/humidity perspective. Better shopping, museums, theaters and concert venues. All three major pro teams (Rockets still suck but could go see other teams play), a couple of college programs. An airport with direct flights to most parts of the world, instead of having to connect. Galveston will never be confused with South Beach, but it's a hell of a lot better than the landfill of Corpus Christi. I love SA and it will always be home, but when we move back to the States at some point, it will be to Houston.

And as far as Cypress is concerned, we probably differ on where Cypress is located. If you are talking the Hwy 6/FM1960 corridor, then you would be correct. While that is CFISD, the Cypress Post Office and Top Park are in the Spring Cypress/Cypress-Rosehill/Fry Road area. Go take a look at the kids coming out of Cy-Ranch, Cy-Wood and Cy-Fair high schools and it is pretty WASPy. I lived in Bridgeland and my son graduated last year from Cy-Ranch, so I saw it up close. It may not be The Woodlands or Sugarland on the Aryan Nation Index, but it isn't anything close to what you described.

DPG21920
04-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Wow ^ awful advice IMO.

ohmwrecker
04-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Not really advice, though. Just relaying personal experience.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
If you like gangs and strip clubs than Houston's the place for you.

baseline bum
04-16-2014, 10:28 AM
No way Houston and San Antonio are the same weatherwise. San Antonio may be about a 9 out of 10 on the weather suck scale for summer, but Houston's a 12.

ohmwrecker
04-16-2014, 10:42 AM
^You might as well live in Louisiana.

sandman
04-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Wow ^ awful advice IMO.

Care to expound? Or are we just trading personal opinion here?

I grew up in the Military/Marbach area, and even back in the 80's it was old and run down. I moved back after college but after a few years started moving around for work. I haven't lived there in 15 years. I moved to Houston in 2003 when my kids were 8 and 4. This is where they were raised, and while I know that a lot has changed and improved in SA since I moved away, I am challenged to find the quality of life they sacrificed by growing up in Cypress as opposed to San Antonio.

What I do know is that working in the Oil & Gas industry, there is no way I can make the money I make and live in SA. The wages simply can't compete. The better wage scale combined with a long running buyers market in real estate gave me a much better home for my dollar than what I would get in SA. My kids went to good schools. We could drive to the Blue Bell Creamery in Brenham faster than we could drive to downtown Houston. Living in "Houston" doesn't mean Pasadena anymore than living in "San Antonio" means South Zarzamora. One does not have to hate the one to love the other. In the end, it's all Texas.

sandman
04-16-2014, 11:17 AM
No way Houston and San Antonio are the same weatherwise. San Antonio may be about a 9 out of 10 on the weather suck scale for summer, but Houston's a 12.

At some point, miserable ceases to have a scale. But "it sucks a little bit less" isn't bragging rights.

DisAsTerBot
04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
all depends what side of town you are considering.

gameFACE
04-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Houston has tons of shit to do. It's humid as hell and the traffic sucks. But I lived there for eight years. Great restaurants, all sports, museums, touring bands, etc. I was young and single so it was fucking great. Don't know why the OP is asking about the NW side, though. Never went to that area or many of the far burbs. I lived near Sheperd area between 59 and Richmond not far from the 59 Diner. Pretty cool area. If I had to commute far in Houston it would drive me nuts. As for Galveston, it's a quick beach fix. It's apples and oranges with Corpus. The thing about Corpus is that you have Padre Island National Seashore.

sandman
04-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Houston has tons of shit to do. It's humid as hell and the traffic sucks. But I lived there for eight years. Great restaurants, all sports, museums, touring bands, etc. I was young and single so it was fucking great. Don't know why the OP is asking about the NW side, though. Never went to that area or many of the far burbs. I lived near Sheperd area between 59 and Richmond not far from the 59 Diner. Pretty cool area. If I had to commute far in Houston it would drive me nuts. As for Galveston, it's a quick beach fix. It's apples and oranges with Corpus. The thing about Corpus is that you have Padre Island National Seashore.

Maybe I am a bit biased from all the years of driving to San Antonio, having to come in on the East side then out Hwy 90 to my folks place. Don't see any decent side of SA. Come to Houston from SA and you're hitting Katy, Memorial, Galleria, Heights, etc. You don't even have to go anywhere near the refineries or the Third Ward or the barrios.

gameFACE
04-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Maybe I am a bit biased from all the years of driving to San Antonio, having to come in on the East side then out Hwy 90 to my folks place. Don't see any decent side of SA. Come to Houston from SA and you're hitting Katy, Memorial, Galleria, Heights, etc. You don't even have to go anywhere near the refineries or the Third Ward or the barrios.
Nowhere near as bad as coming into Houston's east side from Beaumont. Plus I grew up around I35/90 in SA so I10/90 is like home to me.

sandman
04-17-2014, 05:49 AM
Nowhere near as bad as coming into Houston's east side from Beaumont. Plus I grew up around I35/90 in SA so I10/90 is like home to me.

Exactly my point. If you come from SA to Houston, you see all the good things and avoid all the bad areas, unless you are specifically going to those bad areas. It makes me laugh sometimes when my friends back in SA start with the whole Traffic/Gangs schtick. Like they are forced to drive only at rush hour and the only place they go is the Third Ward.

Oh, I don't have any issues with driving I10/90 because it's what I knew about SA growing up. I lived by John Jay and dated a girl that went to Harlendale, so I know Hwy 90. I was just stating that since my parents still live over in the same area where I grew up, I drive through the parts of town that haven't changed in 30 years. I never get to see all the new development that is happening on the far North side. Heck, I was away at college the year before Sea World opened and it's practically in my parents back yard now.

Two10Whitey
04-17-2014, 09:32 AM
I visited H-Town two times within the past two years and had a blast. The first time I went, downtown had a bad ass UFC tail gate party before the fights, a huge Korean festival a few blocks away, and a pretty cool art show at a nearby museum. That same day, SA was having a gun rally for pissed off gun owners who think somebody wants to take their precious guns away...

Not to mention, Galleria>Northstar AND Ingram, wide variety of food, and you can still see the Spurs twice a year. However, I did not experience Houston during the middle of summer, I didn't drive through 3rd ward, and traffic is pretty crazy during rush hour.

baseline bum
04-17-2014, 04:10 PM
I visited H-Town two times within the past two years and had a blast. The first time I went, downtown had a bad ass UFC tail gate party before the fights, a huge Korean festival a few blocks away, and a pretty cool art show at a nearby museum. That same day, SA was having a gun rally for pissed off gun owners who think somebody wants to take their precious guns away...

LOL, Houston was where the NRA had its national rally for 2013.

Two10Whitey
04-17-2014, 08:45 PM
LOL, Houston was where the NRA had its national rally for 2013.

Still.. Houston normally has more shit to do than in SA.

ploto
04-18-2014, 10:53 PM
I lived in Houston when I was a young adult with no kids and it was a great place to be. I lived close to work to avoid the crazy traffic, and the museums were great! I really did not think the weather was all that different than living in SA- hot and humid.

xmas1997
04-20-2014, 11:43 AM
The humidity, smog, drivers, & mosquitoes are actually lovely this time of year.

This is true, can't argue with this fact.
Terrible traffic, offensive drivers, rude people for the most part, and overcrowding.
What else do you want? The occasional really bad hurricanes should be added too.
Someone said Mexicans, but the Mexican food sucks there too.
The only thing going for Houston is that it is in Texas.

The Reckoning
04-20-2014, 07:07 PM
apparently houston is in the midst of an urban renewal (gentrification, all the whites booting the inner city blacks out, etc etc)

LOL at saying galveston is better than corpus :lmao

sandman
04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
This is true, can't argue with this fact.
Terrible traffic, offensive drivers, rude people for the most part, and overcrowding.
What else do you want? The occasional really bad hurricanes should be added too.
Someone said Mexicans, but the Mexican food sucks there too.
The only thing going for Houston is that it is in Texas.

Interesting you say rude people for the most part. My wife and daughter are back in Houston/SA right now because it is Spring Break in England. She said she was so happy to be back in Houston and have people smile at her as she walked by, have cashiers make conversation, drivers wave, etc. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. They got to SA yesterday so I'll ask her about it there as well.

One does not have to show one town as the cancer of our country in order to love the other. I think some people here are letting their sports loyalties play a bias on the real world.

From the outside, other people see both SA and Houston as hot/humid with lots of fat Mexicans. SA has the military. Houston has the oil. That's the reality.

sandman
04-21-2014, 01:50 PM
apparently houston is in the midst of an urban renewal (gentrification, all the whites booting the inner city blacks out, etc etc)

LOL at saying galveston is better than corpus :lmao

I would say that Washington and The Heights are the two areas that have been turned over the most in the last five years. Not really "inner city" areas other than they are inside the Loop on the Katy Freeway corridor and not considered "black" areas of town. The true "inner city" areas like the Third Ward and out by Sharpstown are happily keeping their street cred.

Do you really think Sheila Jackson Lee's weave would allow gentrification to happen without giving 74 press conferences about it?

xmas1997
04-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Interesting you say rude people for the most part. My wife and daughter are back in Houston/SA right now because it is Spring Break in England. She said she was so happy to be back in Houston and have people smile at her as she walked by, have cashiers make conversation, drivers wave, etc. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. They got to SA yesterday so I'll ask her about it there as well.

One does not have to show one town as the cancer of our country in order to love the other. I think some people here are letting their sports loyalties play a bias on the real world.

From the outside, other people see both SA and Houston as hot/humid with lots of fat Mexicans. SA has the military. Houston has the oil. That's the reality.

Well actually an argument could be made that San Antonio has the oil now.
But the truth is that there is good and bad practically everywhere and no one place has a monopoly on that.
However, with that being said, Houston, being the 3rd largest city in the US, it has more of the bad percentage wise. More of the good too? Maybe, maybe not.
I don't know if it is because of all of the negative factors mentioned already, but Houston seems to have way more than it's share of rude, foul mouthed, and antagonistic people than most any other US city I have ever been too, and I've been to most. They are a product of their environment.
We often speak about "southern hospitality" when speaking of most cities in the southern USA, but Houston ever rarely personifies this sentiment, rather it more closely identifies with eastern rudeness.
Yet again, there are good and bad elements everywhere.

sandman
04-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Well actually an argument could be made that San Antonio has the oil now.
But the truth is that there is good and bad practically everywhere and no one place has a monopoly on that.
However, with that being said, Houston, being the 3rd largest city in the US, it has more of the bad percentage wise. More of the good too? Maybe, maybe not.
I don't know if it is because of all of the negative factors mentioned already, but Houston seems to have way more than it's share of rude, foul mouthed, and antagonistic people than most any other US city I have ever been too, and I've been to most. They are a product of their environment.
We often speak about "southern hospitality" when speaking of most cities in the southern USA, but Houston ever rarely personifies this sentiment, rather it more closely identifies with eastern rudeness.
Yet again, there are good and bad elements everywhere.

To each their opinion regarding rudeness. There is nothing statistical and purely anecdotal. Again, I grew up in SA and lived in Houston for a decade. I didn't just drive through or come in on business or to catch a ball game. I lived through 10 years of the good and bad of that town. A vast majority of overly rude people was not one of them. But we see what we want to see. Your making it sound like every Mexican in SA gets a paycheck from the Board of Tourism and speaks with a welcoming and melodious lilt to their English that envisions drinking Coronas on a beach down in Cozumel.

xmas1997
04-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Didn't mean to sound so demeaning.
But having worked in Houston for the past 20 or so years, as well as most of the rest of Texas off and on in my travels working, the proportions are skewed to the negative IMHO.
We used to say that the contractors there were a "different" breed of people, as compared to the rest of Texas, and that was not a complement by any stretch of the imagination.
As for the Mexican American population, by and large they were decent and friendly regardless of where they lived, so maybe that is a bit of type casting in their regard.
Certainly there are many good and great people of all nationalities living there, but I've never been to a place where there were more jerks and jack offs as well.