PDA

View Full Version : Regardless of this season's outcome, what roster changes need to be made for 2015?

Horry Hipcheck
04-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Regardless of how the Spurs fare in this year's playoffs, we all know that their primary rivals are better built for contention going forward. Duncan and Ginobili may only give us one more year, and Parker will begin his decline in the coming seasons. Where would you, as a fan, like to see the Spurs address these issues?

Discuss.

ElNono
04-15-2014, 08:33 PM
RC has admitted they've a hole on the backup SF position, so I expect that to be a priority. I guess Bonner will retire? They might need to shore up there too, especially if Errors keeps being Errors and Baynes doesn't quite pan out.

That said, I think whatever they do will be highly dependent on what's available in the market and the money flexibility they'll have.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-15-2014, 08:51 PM
I think we should keep grooming Daye. Obviously we need to drop Bonner and get a real fourth big. But we want to be the "great, respectful" franchise now. I didn't see anything respectful about booting Finley, who was very close with the organization. But now we want to give Bonner an extension? Fuh-k that

DesignatedT
04-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Offseason thread

MR-Clutch
04-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Bring over Bertans.

BackHome
04-15-2014, 09:02 PM
It would be crazy to keep Bonner even though the guy is a good team player he is just not good enough be starting material or even close to 6th man. At this point I see him walking and I would have no problems of getting rid of CJ even though he has developed I just don't see him being a good backup to Mills. But I guess it depends if we draft a PG in the first then I know he is gone as this draft is so deep we can actually get a very good player at that position.

As far as Bigs I hate not having an athletic big who can block shots and rebound so unless they sign a big they will be keeping Baynes and Errors on the roster. As far as grooming Daye I would not invest the time he is just to slow and I would bring over Bertrans who is a more athletic and a better shooter.

So Bonner is gone replaced by Bertrans and then I see us trading CJ on draft day and getting...who knows but they will be good! I see us also bringing over Hanga where he will hang out with the Spurs and D-League and learn from Manu.

Bonner = Bertrans
Daye = hanga
CJ = Vet or draft pick

FuzzyLumpkins
04-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Retain the aussies and Diaw. Try to acquire front court help in the draft and FA.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-15-2014, 09:05 PM
I would have no problems of getting rid of CJ even though he has developed

:lol Joseph has not developed, tbh..

ElNono
04-15-2014, 09:06 PM
I think we should keep grooming Daye. Obviously we need to drop Bonner and get a real fourth big. But we want to be the "great, respectful" franchise now. I didn't see anything respectful about booting Finley, who was very close with the organization. But now we want to give Bonner an extension? Fuh-k that

uh? Finley asked to be released.

Robz4000
04-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Bring over some Euros (Bertans and Luvio Charles imo), resign Patty and Boris, play the rest by ear.

sexinthatsx
04-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Trade for Lebron, Paul George, Roy Hibbert, and Pau Gasol.

sexinthatsx
04-15-2014, 09:19 PM
Also, getting Damian Lillard on the bench would be nice.

exstatic
04-15-2014, 09:46 PM

Daye turned back into a pumpkin. I expect Daye, Damion James, and Matt Bonner to be gone from next year's opening day roster. If Tim/Manu come back, they'll plug the hole at backup SF, and probably bring in another PF with shooting ability. They usually use spot #15 for auditions on non-guaranteed/10 day contracts.

If Tim/Manu don't come back, the roster could look VERY different. That would be a whole different thread in itself.

RD2191
04-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Backup PG and a project big man with potential is all I ask for.

jkid12456
04-15-2014, 10:16 PM
dont want no euros anymore. we need some hungry athletic black americans that arnt scared like thiago

TheGoldStandard
04-15-2014, 10:59 PM
A backup SF who can play the SF position, bring over our euro stash guys and let them participate in summer league to see if they could be of use next season. Try to move up in the draft if possible, no more draft and stash guys, try to get a big man who can replace Ayres who might be a project but at 22 that's okay as long as he can catch

$pursDynasty
04-15-2014, 11:24 PM
a Michael Cooper or Bruce Bowen like defensive guard, just to check guards like Westbrook and Bledsoe. The Thunder have the ability to put Sefolousha on the opposing teams best guard for defense allowing Westbrook to ake the off guard and save his energy for defense. I love TP but he is not a defensive standout and we will need all of his energy on the offensive side of the ball not trying to check an elite PG. The Western conference has the 4-5 best PG's in the league.

A shot blocking athletic big. The Spurs need a paint intimidator, and rebounder, not to sound like I have Thunder envy but an Ibaka type. The Spurs have more than enough points on the roster they need to get more athletic on the defensive side of the ball.

RD2191
04-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Danny Green does a pretty good job on PGs, tbh.

dallasmaverickslose
04-15-2014, 11:28 PM
RC has admitted they've a hole on the backup SF position, so I expect that to be a priority. I guess Bonner will retire? They might need to shore up there too, especially if Errors keeps being Errors and Baynes doesn't quite pan out.

That said, I think whatever they do will be highly dependent on what's available in the market and the money flexibility they'll have.

Bonner retires either this season or next and joins the coaching staff. I'm calling it.

SpursFan86
04-15-2014, 11:29 PM
I agree that we should try bringing over a couple of our stashed Euro guys. Livio Jean-Charles could potentially be a solid backup SF, no?

dallasmaverickslose
04-15-2014, 11:31 PM
I agree that we should try bringing over a couple of our stashed Euro guys. Livio Jean-Charles could potentially be a solid backup SF, no?

I believe we have several euro stashes who play SF. If one of them could pan out as a solid backup 3 that would be great.

$pursDynasty
04-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Danny Green does a pretty good job on PGs, tbh.
not to disagree but sometimes we get torched by opposing PG's and it appears that TP is on them. IF DG can do it, and hit the occasional 3 great, we can concentrate on finding that shot blocking athletic big, because Splitter, Baynes and Ayers are not.

cd021
04-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Draft a big-man.

http://nbadraft.net/players/clint-capela

they had him in a mock going to the Spurs (seems like he fits the build, young, athletic, foreign born) they could keep him overseas for a season or two and would be just 20 or 21 when he enters the league.

I would love to see the Spurs sign Aminu on the cheap as a combo 4 (granted he can't shoot but has decent handles for his size)

Figure out whether to keep Mills and or Joseph. Joseph isn't a bad player but does he have a future on this team?

Our depth behind Duncan and Splitter is basically just Diaw. Sign or trade for some additional depth.

cd021
04-16-2014, 01:39 AM

He is staying overseas according to Parker (he owns the team he plays for) He has been called a tweener but is a good athlete and defender with a massive 7'2 wing span. Probably at least 2 seasons away from being a Spur with this season being a lost year due to injury.

"Strengths: Livio is a very long (7'2 wingspan) and fluid athlete who plays with high intensity and energy ... Excels in the role of garbage man, slashing to the basket and scoring on put backs ... Very agile player showing excellent speed in the open floor ... A strong defender doing an excellent job of crowding opponents using his great length, reflexes and quick feet ... A scorer more than a shooter, but shows the ability to knock down mid-range jumpers with solid form ... Crafty around the basket and shows the ability to face up and get by his man and to the rim ... Good attitude. Hard working kid who shows the desire to improve ... Fits the role well of an energy role player, providing a spark with effort, defense and some scoring, without needing plays called for him ..."

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/livio-jean-charles

Chinook
04-16-2014, 01:46 AM
2015 or 2014? The plans are very different for those years. The former will depends on how many of the Big Three come back. It could either be a reloading period trying to get a star big to sign on or a rebuilding/fire sale.

The latter will be a low-key year bringing in a couple of cheap players with upside and maybe using the MLE on another rotation player. I'd like to see Denmon, Bertans and Richards (still hoping) come over along with a possible draft pick. I want to have something to look forward to during garbage time next year.

szkorhetz
04-16-2014, 03:17 AM
I like Gasol, potentially, Boozer and Stat will be amnestied, Varejao, Marion, Butler will be FAs. I kind of like the possibilities.

BanditHiro
04-16-2014, 05:03 AM
try to make a big splash and bring in LeBron James

spurraider21
04-16-2014, 05:19 AM
Bertans comes in, lights the league on fire, we celebrate our 6th

T Park
04-16-2014, 08:43 AM
I think they've found a gem in Damion James, especially if he can improve on the offensive end, particularly his jump shot.if he can improve that he's be a great addition off the bench. I think Patty mills will cash in and he'll be gone while Diaw stays. Corey Joseph will either be packaged up and traded or released. I think they go back to the well for a backup point guard. I think they keep Daye also. There's signs during timeouts and in game the other night with Duncan pointing out things, coaches pulling him aside during timeouts while pop is drawing something up, too many signs to show that he's someone that will be gone.

dallasmaverickslose
04-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Maybe he'll get a tan too?

spurraider21
04-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Maybe he'll get a tan too?
Let's keep calm and be realistic

Spur|n|Austin
04-16-2014, 11:38 AM
dont want no euros anymore. we need some hungry athletic black americans that arnt scared like thiago

idiot.

:toast

cd021
04-16-2014, 11:55 AM
I like Gasol, potentially, Boozer and Stat will be amnestied, Varejao, Marion, Butler will be FAs. I kind of like the possibilities.
the knicks cant' amnesty Amare, they used it on Billups.

sexinthatsx
04-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Honestly, it's about time for Spurs to start looking for an offensive scorer. No, I'm not talking about shooters like every other player on the team. I'm talking about a slasher who can get into the paint, get to the foul line, and is an offensive force in general. After this season pretty much everybody who can score at will is 1 year older, and Tony Parker can't sustain the level of play that he does anybody without being a big injury risk.

Baam
04-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Honestly, it's about time for Spurs to start looking for an offensive scorer. No, I'm not talking about shooters like every other player on the team. I'm talking about a slasher who can get into the paint, get to the foul line, and is an offensive force in general. After this season pretty much everybody who can score at will is 1 year older, and Tony Parker can't sustain the level of play that he does anybody without being a big injury risk.

Stephenson is a free agent this summer, too bad we're gonna be limited cap wise...

CGD
04-16-2014, 12:56 PM
You have to think 1 or 2 of the draft and stash will come over this summer (Davis at least). It'll be a dramatic transition heading into 2015, and the Spurs really value the continuity, corp. knowledge, etc. Would be great if one of the youngsters gets a year of acclimatization during 2014. If I recall correctly though, I believe the Spurs are planning to keep Charles over one more year. Not sure what's happened with Hanga, or if the team is still high on him, but he seemed like an interesting prospect a few years back. I've read zero encouraging things about Richards' game, though, the D-League rule change is interesting and may suit him well if he takes advantage.As for this year's picks, I'm OK with the draft and stash model even with this years 1st. Ideally, it'd be great if they could trade it down, or package it with CoJo/Ayers/Baynes for something of value.

cd98
04-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Spurs need a backup and sometimes starter stretch three that can play defense on 1-4. With the way offenses are going, you need to be able to play two small forwards in small ball, and have a backup in case Leonard gets injured. No one on the roster is good enough, and none of the Spurs projects are good enough. We'll need to acquire one through free agency or the draft.

sexinthatsx
04-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Stephenson is a free agent this summer, too bad we're gonna be limited cap wise...

Stephenson is a good player, but he's not one of those natural scorers I'm talking about. Ideally, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of James Harden. But it's a pipe dream, I know.

superjames1992
04-16-2014, 06:51 PM
So cut Patty?

rascal
04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Regardless of how the Spurs fare in this year's playoffs, we all know that their primary rivals are better built for contention going forward. Duncan and Ginobili may only give us one more year, and Parker will begin his decline in the coming seasons. Where would you, as a fan, like to see the Spurs address these issues?

Discuss.

Don't expect too much, the spurs will bring back the same team.

Thomas82
04-16-2014, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Isaiah Austin if he's available.

AFBlue
04-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Are we talking this offseason or next? By NEXT offseason, I expect the Spurs will have brought over LJC, Bertans, and one of Hanga/Thomas to fill holes. I'd like to see...

- Parker and Kawhi extended
- Diaw, Mills, Beli and Green re-signed
- Ayres and Bonner dropped
- Draft a facilitating guard and athletic big
- Target a "big fish" in 2015, but probably end up with a couple complimentary players.

SupremeGuy
04-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Everyone keeps saying we need a backup SF, but that's basically the position Beli plays off the bench. Even then, give All Daye an offseason with Chip and a trainer, and I think we're good. Even Errors and Baynes will, imo, surprise people next year. If Baynes got sleaker but didn't lose muscle, he's gonna be good. Patience guys, patience.

99 Problems
04-17-2014, 07:55 AM
Roy Hibbert has a player option for 2015/16.

Raven
04-17-2014, 07:59 AM
we need a center that can defend.

George Gervin's Afro
04-17-2014, 08:02 AM
We need to get more athletic

captain obvious

Sportstudi
04-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Dirk's also going to be a FA :lol

superjames1992
04-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Sign mvPau.

palangi
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
See if there is a team at the start of the second round that would like to take CoJo? A team like the jazz who have2 first rounders might be willing to give up their second to get a quality backup. and lindsey is familiar with him.

Bring burtans over to be the back up SF.
Keep Daye to replace bonner as the stretch 4
cut ayres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft:

1. Andrew Harrison PG Kentucky 6'5"- Could be a sleeper much like MCW was for the 6ers.
2. Dwight Powell PF Stanford 6'10"- great athlete. can shoot. very good athlete
2. Patric Young PF Florida 6'9"- great athlete. strong. great rebounder and defender. Blocks shots. has a 7'1" wingspan
2. over seas prospect to keep over there

Roster

PG- parker, mills, Harrison
SG- Green, manu, belinelli
SF- leonard, bertans
PF- diaw, powell/young, daye
C- duncan, splitter, baynes