PDA

View Full Version : The Best Thing About Playing DAL

deibero
04-16-2014, 11:36 PM
It doesnt have anything to do with our favorable matchup with them or their weak defense or any of that.

Its the fact that MEM will get to bang up with OKC in a matchup that they think they can score an upset. I dont think they can quite pull it off but they will for sure match up well with them, defend them tough and will give them a very difficult out, probably more so than POR, GS and for sure D

BTW, Both DAL and MEM showed a lot of fear and respect against the Spurs by playing an OT game last game of the season, trying to avoid us in the first round, something very different than a couple of years back.

HI-FI
04-16-2014, 11:43 PM
agree about the respect and fear angle. they both wanted that 7th seed. this Spurs' team has been so multifaceted and deep, we've been able to just wear teams down after awhile. basically war of attrition.

also it's good to see the NBA have great regular season matchups right before the playoffs. i've been waiting awhile for this league to have more parity.

Sean Cagney
04-16-2014, 11:55 PM
It doesnt have anything to do with our favorable matchup with them or their weak defense or any of that.

Its the fact that MEM will get to bang up with OKC in a matchup that they think they can score an upset. I dont think they can quite pull it off but they will for sure match up well with them, defend them tough and will give them a very difficult out, probably more so than POR, GS and for sure D

BTW, Both DAL and MEM showed a lot of fear and respect against the Spurs by playing an OT game last game of the season, trying to avoid us in the first round, something very different than a couple of years back.
One thing for sure is Memphis was not trying to tank like 011 to face the Spurs, they wanted that game and it showed! BOTH teams did. That shows you respect there, the Spurs are no joke this time.
agree about the respect and fear angle. they both wanted that 7th seed. this Spurs' team has been so multifaceted and deep, we've been able to just wear teams down after awhile. basically war of attrition.

also it's good to see the NBA have great regular season matchups right before the playoffs. i've been waiting awhile for this league to have more parity.

Spurs vs LA would have been great in the last game if it were for the #1 Seed and Kobe was playing when I think of it, yeah that was a good setup too but unfortunately it failed because of obvious reasons and turned out to be irrelevant. Great matchups though tonight I agree. I am even enjoying this LAC and Portland game fully.

deibero
04-17-2014, 12:01 AM

so you dont agree its great for the spurs than a tough MEM team will play OKC instead of a more finesse older DAL team?

HI-FI
04-17-2014, 12:14 AM
so you dont agree its great for the spurs than a tough MEM team will play OKC instead of a more finesse older DAL team?
i think there are pros and cons either way.

Ultimately I'd rather Spurs play Dallas, less travel and less physicality, even if Dallas gets hot on offense, I think Memphis could be more bruising. not to mention I think they want a shot at OKC despite the RS record.

spurraider21
04-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Pros - Dallas is easier overall. no defense, less travel
Cons - Dallas has Dirk

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-17-2014, 12:55 AM
I was hoping Dallas would win cause I think they match up well with OKC, nobody stands a prayer's chance at guarding Dirk, at least Leonard and Diaw can play somewhat effective defense on Dirk. However, I'm also excited to see how many times ZBo and Perkins get in a fight.

sexinthatsx
04-17-2014, 12:59 AM
I don't completely agree about it being fear and respect for the Spurs. If anything, Dallas wanted to get the 7th seed because they had better chances to beat OKC. At the same time, Memphis wanted to get the 7th seed to specifically avoid the Spurs since they got swept during the regular season. Either way, I'd take on Dallas over Memphis any day, aside form the fact that I still have PTSD because of that 7 foot German giant over there

Kidd K
04-17-2014, 01:10 AM
I was hoping Dallas would win cause I think they match up well with OKC, nobody stands a prayer's chance at guarding Dirk, at least Leonard and Diaw can play somewhat effective defense on Dirk. However, I'm also excited to see how many times ZBo and Perkins get in a fight.

My money is on ZBo. Perkins is fake tough. ZBo prolly stole kids bikes and the chain their grandmamma gave them before he joined the NBA.

Sean Cagney
04-17-2014, 01:30 AM
My money is on ZBo. Perkins is fake tough. ZBo prolly stole kids bikes and the chain their grandmamma gave them before he joined the NBA.

Z BO would whoop his ass, period. Good analogy though.

Gummi Clutch
04-17-2014, 01:43 AM
:lol Thats probably true

testies
04-17-2014, 02:31 AM
lol dallas had better chance against okc? dallas plays no defense whatsoever, field trip for okc

spurraider21
04-17-2014, 02:34 AM
lol dallas had better chance against okc? dallas plays no defense whatsoever, field trip for okc
okc typically runs a lot of isos, not a lot of moving sets that require active team defense. they would hope marion could annoy durant, and try to slow it down and feed the german, and hope he baptized ibaka like he did in 2011. its a longshot, but when your choices are SA and OKC, its not going to be fun

testies
04-17-2014, 02:36 AM
okc typically runs a lot of isos, not a lot of moving sets that require active team defense. they would hope marion could annoy durant, and try to slow it down and feed the german, and hope he baptized ibaka like he did in 2011. its a longshot, but when your choices are SA and OKC, its not going to be fun

i know that they prefered OKC, but I mean from our stand point, Memphis has a much better chance of doing something against OKC than DAL.. they beat them 4-1 months ago ffs

spurraider21
04-17-2014, 02:41 AM
i know that they prefered OKC, but I mean from our stand point, Memphis has a much better chance of doing something against OKC than DAL.. they beat them 4-1 months ago ffs
oh yeah i guess i just read your post without looking at the context. i think this scenario was better for us, as i've been saying. memphis is a more grueling opponent. i thought you were speaking from dallas' perspective. but yeah, from spurfan's perspective, memphis has a better chance at making noise or extending the series

urunobili
04-17-2014, 08:22 AM
I'm not feeling confident about the match up with Dallas... I think it'll be a very tough series TBH

thispego
04-17-2014, 08:34 AM
:lmao

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-17-2014, 09:40 AM
I am glad the Spurs got Dallas. Short trips and a much less physical team than the Grizz. Mavs are old and play shoddy D. Dallas might get one game in this series. Dallas has no bench other than Carter who is consistent, and having no bench doesn't bode well for a team that is going against a team in a 7 game series that have one of the best benches in the NBA.

Leetonidas
04-17-2014, 09:51 AM
imo the best thing is the fact that they're up the road here in Texas and travel won't be an issue

T Park
04-17-2014, 10:18 AM
I'm not feeling confident about the match up with Dallas... I think it'll be a very tough series TBH

This guy has jokes

T Park
04-17-2014, 10:18 AM
imo the best thing is the fact that they're up the road here in Texas and travel won't be an issue

If they win the first round and Houston as well, tey could potentially not leave Texas till the end of May. Huge break for the old legs.

Mal
04-17-2014, 10:29 AM
I wonder why both Dallas and Memphis went to overtime to avoid Spurs. I was pretty sure Memphis was prefering SAS and Dallas had better record vs OKC. But both team played for W and 7 seed.

Mugen
04-17-2014, 10:35 AM
The distance thing is nice but it's not like the team loads up the wagons and takes the Oregon Trail to away games tbh :lol

poop
04-17-2014, 10:58 AM
ZBo's head looks like a milk dud

Jimcs50
04-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Spurs is all likelyhood will not have to leave Texas until the WCFs, that bodes well for the older team because they will not have long trips to deal with.

Dex
04-17-2014, 11:40 AM
The distance thing is nice but it's not like the team loads up the wagons and takes the Oregon Trail to away games tbh :lol

http://i.imgur.com/R1OEm39.jpg

Goddamnit, Ginobili!

Mugen
04-17-2014, 11:44 AM

Goddamnit, Ginobili!

:lol

Crux
04-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Goddamnit, Ginobili!

:rollin i miss that game.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Memphis has been destroyed by the Spurs for awhile now. Dallas matches up better with OKC. There is no advantage to either team playing the Spurs which is all about matchups.

Just look at the Nets tanking at the end to avoid the Bulls and possibly the Pacer in the 2nd round. Bulls won the season series, Pacer swept them. On the flip side, the Nets split the season series with the Raptors and swept the Heat. You want teams that you match up well with. Grizz and Mavs match up better against OKC.

deibero
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I wonder why both Dallas and Memphis went to overtime to avoid Spurs. I was pretty sure Memphis was prefering SAS and Dallas had better record vs OKC. But both team played for W and 7 seed.

Dirk played 46mins my friend, If that doesnt say it all i dunno what does!

They wanted no part of the Spurs.

Horse
04-17-2014, 12:29 PM
dallas could always get hot but this has potential for a historic Spurs sweep. If they get rolling it will be over quick.

Mal
04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Dirk played 46mins my friend, If that doesnt say it all i dunno what does!

They wanted no part of the Spurs.

I know Dallas want OKC, but why Memphis wanted OKC ?

superbigtime
04-17-2014, 01:12 PM
ZBo's head looks like a milk dud

LOFL! Funniest thing I have read here in a while. And true.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
04-17-2014, 01:29 PM
I know Dallas want OKC, but why Memphis wanted OKC ?

B/C Duncan and Splitter can contain Z and Gasol. For all the hype about Ibaka, he got crapped on by both last year. Perkins is their only excellent one-on-one defender in the Post, even then, he is undersized. I could easily name 5 possibly 10 one-on-one defenders better than Ibaka. Where Ibaka excels is help defense and guarding the pnr, something Memphis doesn't do alot of.

Horry Hipcheck
04-17-2014, 01:30 PM

Memphis preferred SA in 2011 when their size caused the Spurs trouble. 2011 was the last real season of Duncan-centered offense under Pop and Memphis had a roster that was good at slowing that offense to a crawl. Z-Bo played out of his mind that series and TD only had a hobbled Ginobili, Gary Neal, James Anderson, rookie Danny Green, DeJaun Blair, and Richard Jefferson to support him. SA was dead on arrival in that series. Since then, RC has offloaded RJ, Blair, Anderson (and Neal), Danny Green has become a go-to shooter and pretty solid defender, they added Kawhi Leonard, and the PnR offense runs on Parker drives-and-dimes to spread opposing defenses thin. Memphis had the Spurs' number in 2010-2011, the Spurs made roster adjustments, and it's been ugly for the Grizzlies ever since. Memphis has to know that they face no better of a chance against SA this year than they did in last year's WCF. Both Memphis and Dallas were probably a little more confident of their ability to create problems for OKC because OKC has fewer, though usually more reliable, weapons to address.

SupremeGuy
04-17-2014, 01:39 PM

Goddamnit, Ginobili!Damn, that game was the shit! Well fucking played.

gameFACE
04-17-2014, 01:43 PM
If they win the first round and Houston as well, tey could potentially not leave Texas till the end of May. Huge break for the old legs.

Spurs is all likelyhood will not have to leave Texas until the WCFs, that bodes well for the older team because they will not have long trips to deal with.

Was thinking the same thing here. I don't think the Spurs are overconfident against Dallas. But Houston is definitely overconfident on wanting the Spurs in the second round. I'm not saying it's going to be a cakewalk but the Rockets are going to get a serious reality check playing the Spurs in the playoffs!

Mal
04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
I put a little thought into Memphis wanting OKC, and I think they like matchups vs thunder. They could throw Allen on Westbrook, Prince on Durant and Gasol guarding the paint. Their best offensive weapons Z-Bo, Conley and Gasol dont have do heavy work on both ends of the floor. I mean Perkins and Sefolosha are no threats. Ibaka cant hurt them.

I just hope for really physical series. OKC and Rockets are probably worst matchups for Spurs, and they have though road ahead. I wouldnt make Rockets big fav over Portland. And I pointed out Memphis Okc.

Sean Cagney
04-17-2014, 02:21 PM
B/C Duncan and Splitter can contain Z and Gasol. For all the hype about Ibaka, he got crapped on by both last year. Perkins is their only excellent one-on-one defender in the Post, even then, he is undersized. I could easily name 5 possibly 10 one-on-one defenders better than Ibaka. Where Ibaka excels is help defense and guarding the pnr, something Memphis doesn't do alot of.

Good analogy, dead on.

jack0fspeed
04-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Dallas is equally miserable against Spurs and Thunder. Something like 3-13 against both teams in the last few years. 2 of those wins came this year against the Thunder so there was some hope that the Mavs might matchup better against them.

Personally I think the Mavs win 1 vs either team. I'd be ecstatic if they win 2.

urunobili
04-28-2014, 08:46 PM
This guy has jokes

How do you feel about my thoughts now?