PDA

View Full Version : Who's our Back up Center in the Playoffs?

Boomersgold
04-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Pop clearly doesn't have much confidence in Ayres and Baynes, and he usually plays Tiago and Duncan together in the starting lineup. That leaves Diaw, whose natural position is PF. Who is our back up center in the playoffs?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Pop clearly doesn't have much confidence in Ayres and Baynes, and he usually plays Tiago and Duncan together in the starting lineup. That leaves Diaw, whose natural position is PF. Who is our back up center in the playoffs?

Baynes spot minutes. Duncan and Splitter will rotate at Center with Diaw playing 4. Small ball Diaw might get a shot at the 5 with Leonard at the 4.

Aztecfan03
04-17-2014, 12:46 AM
Duncan/ Tiago rotate at the 5. Duncan/Diaw rotate at the 4. Playoff rotations are supposed to be smaller anyways, right?

Splits
04-17-2014, 12:51 AM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2014/02/bROKEN_nose.gif

benstanfield
04-17-2014, 12:54 AM
Baynes if we need someone to check Howard in R2 is the only way I see anyone but Splitter/Duncan/Diaw playing (besides blowouts). That being said, we'll probably have to play smallball against Dallas, Houston, OKC, and Miami.

Look for Bonner as a desperation adjustment if we go down by 2 games though.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Baynes for sure, his minutes may be limited but he's far better than the other options. I mean, would you rather have Errors or Bonner out there? Besides, Baynes is a good defender against the right opponent. I actually could see him playing decent defense on Gasol or Randolph at times. But when the Spurs were playing their best basketball this season during March, they're starters were the usual starters, Parker-Green-Leonard-Duncan-Splitter, but their second rotation was Mills-Ginobili-Bellinelli-Diaw-Baynes with other players only playing for really bad matchups or foul trouble.

Boomersgold
04-17-2014, 12:59 AM
Baynes for sure, his minutes may be limited but he's far better than the other options. I mean, would you rather have Errors or Bonner out there? Besides, Baynes is a good defender against the right opponent. I actually could see him playing decent defense on Gasol or Randolph at times.

Errors is more familiar with the system than Baynes. All he really needs to do when he's out there is set decent screens for Manu and Mills. He does this quite well, imo.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Errors is more familiar with the system than Baynes. All he really needs to do when he's out there is set decent screens for Manu and Mills. He does this quite well, imo.

Ya but then he gives up constant easy baskets. At least Baynes makes you work for points.

ElNono
04-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Duncan/Tiago/Diaw/Small-Ball is the playoff rotation...

We might see some Baynes/Ayres in case of foul trouble, but it's emergency cases only.

Mel_13
04-17-2014, 07:09 AM
Splitter

exstatic
04-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Baynes spot minutes. Duncan and Splitter will rotate at Center with Diaw playing 4. Small ball Diaw might get a shot at the 5 with Leonard at the 4.

SpursFan86
04-17-2014, 07:14 AM
For our sake, hopefully no one besides Duncan/Splitter/Diaw sees any meaningful minutes.

Raven
04-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Splitter.

Raven
04-17-2014, 07:38 AM
For our sake, hopefully no one besides Duncan/Splitter/Diaw sees any meaningful minutes.

word.

dbestpro
04-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Remember this is Pop. In the playoffs, he plays the people he trusts, and he trusts no one on the bench more than Bonner.

Seventyniner
04-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Any bigs beyond Duncan/Splitter/Diaw will only get minutes in emergencies.

playbonner15
04-17-2014, 08:10 AM
I don't see Bonner in there

Boomersgold
04-17-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't see Bonner in there
Bonner's a given at the PF position.

Mel_13
04-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Bonner's a given at the PF position.

Bonner would have been the 4th big against the Grizz. He won't be in the rotation against the Mavs.

lurker23
04-17-2014, 09:53 AM
The people who said that the true rotation is Duncan/Splitter/Diaw/small ball have got it right. Most of the meaningful minutes will go to that rotation, with Baynes and Bonner getting spot/situational minutes.

PingPong
04-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Splitter and Diaw will guard Dirk in the first round. From there all will depends on wich team the spurs will face. But trade Ayres, Bonner and Baynes for some used rim nets in the offseason.

bklynspursfan
04-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Baynes/Ayres just have not been consistent enough. Each have had stretches where they looked good, and just crappy. It'll probably be Duncan/Diaw/Splitter, especially against Dallas. In meaningful minutes at least. It'll change from series to series depending on the opponent. If we end up facing Houston, Pop may throw Baynes and/or Ayres on Dwight if nothing else to frustrate/hack a dwight, etc....

Spur|n|Austin
04-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Remember this is Pop. In the playoffs, he plays the people he trusts, and he trusts no one on the bench more than Bonner.

:lol Pop has finally moved out of that stage, Bonner won't see any minutes unless they are garbage in these playoffs (just like last season).

superjames1992
04-17-2014, 10:09 AM
:lol Pop has finally moved out of that stage, Bonner won't see any minutes unless they are garbage in these playoffs (just like last season).
Um, no. I guess you missed Bonner getting major minutes in two playoff series, including the WCF against the Grizzlies? That was hardly garbage time.

Spur|n|Austin
04-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Um, no. I guess you missed Bonner getting major minutes in two playoff series, including the WCF against the Grizzlies? That was hardly garbage time.

Um, yes. You're talking about the team we swept last season? :lol

Bonner is not going to control the Spurs' playoff destiny ya nitwit.

silverblackfan
04-17-2014, 11:22 AM
I would love for Baynes to make the move to another level (less fouls and more offense), but think Pop trusts having Diaw on the floor with Tiago or Duncan as center more.

superjames1992
04-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Um, yes. You're talking about the team we swept last season? :lol

Bonner is not going to control the Spurs' playoff destiny ya nitwit.
No. Bonner played significant minutes in key moments in the Memphis series, not "garbage time". Pop sees Bonner as a favorable matchup against teams like LAL and MEM. Pop sees Bonner as a liability against teams like OKC, GSW, and MIA and he doesn't play them (and he's right, tbh).

dmon35
04-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Count on Pop to put Baynes on Dwight Howard to roughen him up should the spurs meet the rockets.

TheyCallMePro
04-17-2014, 02:57 PM
It's Splitter. Because Diaw will become a starter after the Dallas series is over.

I'm glad Pop has Splitter on a tight leash these days. He trusts Diaw a lot more now. Can't win with Splitter playing heavy minutes.

BillMc
04-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Splitter will be big against Dirk. As others have said, in later series Boris becomes more important.

moisaenz
04-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Bonner got minutes against memphis because of how he matched up to the big men of Memphis.

TD 21
04-17-2014, 09:35 PM
Splitter. Given their path (Mavericks, Rockets, Thunder, Heat), the only scenario they might need a fourth big in, is if they face the Pacers (and even then, it'll be spot minutes), since all of the others will play small/combo forwards as their backup PF's.