PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Official Expert Picks Thread ... Post yours here!

Killakobe81
04-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Here is a place to support or bash expert analysis for this year's playoffs. I will kick us off.

Jeff Van Gundy predicts the Rockets will win the 2014 NBA Finals

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140417/jeff-van-gundy-houston-rockets-nba-finals-prediction/#ixzz2zFlc22sH

Harden is a beast, when healthy Dwight is a force down low, Parsons is a great slasher and Pat B a pest. But ....

Dat defense ... :rollin
Dat coach ... :lmao

Isn't Lebron and Durant still playing? do they buy that Rox regular season success over Spurs? I say no way. Kevin McHale coach of the NBA champion Rockets ... just cannot see it.

Killakobe81
04-18-2014, 02:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10797410/skip-bayless-why-boring-san-antonio-spurs-win-nba-championship

Skip makes a case for dem Spurs ...

Sybok
04-18-2014, 02:04 PM
DMC predicts that the Thunder will win det 2014 NBA Finals.

Killakobe81
04-18-2014, 02:09 PM
DMC predicts that the Thunder will win det 2014 NBA Finals.

What about El, DPG, Amb, Rogue Sook etc?

djohn2oo8
04-18-2014, 02:11 PM
You do know JVG is a huge Rockets homer right? He still lives out here.

VBM
04-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Saw on some random website that the Rockets have 20/1 odds on a title. Actually some value there

Killakobe81
04-18-2014, 02:15 PM
You do know JVG is a huge Rockets homer right? He still lives out here.

I know he picks the Rocks almost every year as a darkhorse and now he put yall as favorites.

Killakobe81
04-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Skip:
Yet ... the San Antonio Spurs are about to ruin what shape up as all-time great, superstar-studded Western Conference playoffs by winning them, then wreaking revenge on the Miami Heat by beating them in six games in the NBA Finals in Miami, as they should have last June. The Spurs have waited for these playoffs since that nightmarish night of June 18, when they were up five, 28 seconds away from their fifth NBA championship, and blew it. Heat in seven.

more Skip:

Yes, the same Spurs who finished the regular season a combined 0-8 against the teams they'll probably have to deal with in Rounds 2 and 3 -- Harden's Houston, then Oklahoma City. As one of the few Spurs supporters in the national media -- if not the lone wolf -- I admit to some concern about the athleticism of the Rockets or Thunder eclipsing the beautiful basketball clinics conducted nightly by the one-for-all Spurs, the NBA's worst nightmare, the un-"SportsCenter" team that wins with emotionless will and subtle skill.

Sure he is Spur biased but at least he went against chalk though I think Skip gives himself too much credit havent seen it yet but I bet Stein Picks Spurs too ...

Katherine Robinson
04-18-2014, 02:24 PM
All I know is this is OKC's best chance and the Spurs last chance.

Prime Time
04-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Spurs would beat Miami. But if San Antonio loses to a team like Houston/OKC due to match-up issues then Miami has it in the bag, IMO.

Malik Hairston
04-18-2014, 02:32 PM
If OKC loses to the Clippers, then it'll be Spurs over Heat in 5..

If OKC beats the Clipps, it'll be Heat over Thunder in 6..

CitizenDwayne
04-18-2014, 02:34 PM

Agree with the Spurs comment, but why do you think that about OKC?

DPG21920
04-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Gun to my head, I pick Spurs. But I don't feel confident. There is no dominant team anymore. They all have flaws and there is no one that has the sense of being invulnerable. There are only 4 contenders, but none are just flat out so dominant that you would be surprised if they lost. That's what makes it tough picking right now.

hater
04-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Heat have guaranteed spot in Finals. Only team to have this, so they are hands down favorite.

on west we have OKC. Spurs with a true 50-50 if they meet each other.

But the dark horse team???? yes it is the Rockets ladies and gentlemen. :lol Lin but still their wings are good, solid backup in the Turkish tower. Harden gets best treatment form refs since Ethiopian and Beverly is on a potential JJ Barea run IMO

Malik Hairston
04-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Heat have guaranteed spot in Finals. Only team to have this, so they are hands down favorite.

on west we have OKC. Spurs with a true 50-50 if they meet each other.

But the dark horse team???? yes it is the Rockets ladies and gentlemen. :lol Lin but still their wings are good, solid backup in the Turkish tower. Harden gets best treatment form refs since Ethiopian and Beverly is on a potential JJ Barea run IMO

:lol I thought you said you didn't believe the Rockets could ever contend, tbh?..

ElNono
04-18-2014, 02:59 PM

I'm going with the homer pick: Spurs to win it all... and the reason is that I think this team can be realistically better than last season, and the fact that this is one of the last (if not the last) actual Spurs contending teams in possibly a while. So I'm gonna relax, enjoy the ride, and back them up all the way.

There's only 4 clear contenting teams (Miami, Spurs, OKC and Pacers) and two dark horses (Brooklyn and Houston), IMO.

Jacob1983
04-18-2014, 03:00 PM
If the Nets make it to the 2nd round, I could see them pulling off the big upset and beating the Heat if the Heat make it to the 2nd round. The Hornets could still pull off probably the biggest upset in NBA playoffs history. If Charlotte can get a split in Miami, I like their chances. I have no idea about the West. You would think that it's probably gonna be the Spurs and Methlohoma in the WCF but Monkeyball or Momma There Goes That Man might make some noise. I'd love to see my Mavs upset the Spurs but they just aren't that good in my opinion. Dalembert is not Tyson Chandler.

Katherine Robinson
04-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Agree with the Spurs comment, but why do you think that about OKC?

The Rockets will likely find a piece to improve their roster and there's not a strong piece of evidence that the Thunder might improve in a significant way besides Durant just becoming better.

hater
04-18-2014, 03:04 PM
:lol I thought you said you didn't believe the Rockets could ever contend, tbh?..

that's why it's called a dark horse dummy, not a true contender by the word, but a horse that is dark and can somehow (through ref, injury, luck help) make it through

as I said. I still :lmao at Lin, Coward and a guy called Chandler(although he's pretty good)

Mikeanaro
04-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Spurs would beat Miami. But if San Antonio loses to a team like Houston/OKC due to match-up issues then Miami has it in the bag, IMO.
Agree

Splits
04-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Rockets need another year or two to gel as a team and build cohesion and consistency. I can't see Pop losing to McH:lolle, especially with Dwert out there in the 4th quarter where you can effectively limit them to max of 1pt/trip up the court

Killakobe81
04-18-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm going with the homer pick: Spurs to win it all... and the reason is that I think this team can be realistically better than last season, and the fact that this is one of the last (if not the last) actual Spurs contending teams in possibly a while. So I'm gonna relax, enjoy the ride, and back them up all the way.

There's only 4 clear contenting teams (Miami, Spurs, OKC and Pacers) and two dark horses (Brooklyn and Houston), IMO. I would say CLips are a legit darkhorse over Houston, but it's close In fact I would rate Houston over Brooklyn. But I think Brooklyn is the only legit one in the East.

I say we have 3 TRUE title contenders:

Favorites (in order):

1. MIA
2. OKC
3. SAS

Strong contenders:
4A. Pacers
5B. Clips

Dark horses:
6. Rox
7. Nets

I doubt anybody past the top 3 is winning the LOB.

Malik Hairston
04-18-2014, 03:12 PM
that's why it's called a dark horse dummy, not a true contender by the word, but a horse that is dark and can somehow (through ref, injury, luck help) make it through

as I said. I still :lmao at Lin, Coward and a guy called Chandler(although he's pretty good)

But you said they'll never have a chance with Harden/Howard, tbh..

It doesn't matter, it's cool, it's good that you have realized your opinion was wrong, good for you, tbh..

apalisoc_9
04-18-2014, 03:12 PM
If the Nets make it to the 2nd round, I could see them pulling off the big upset and beating the Heat if the Heat make it to the 2nd round. The Hornets could still pull off probably the biggest upset in NBA playoffs history. If Charlotte can get a split in Miami, I like their chances. I have no idea about the West. You would think that it's probably gonna be the Spurs and Methlohoma in the WCF but Monkeyball or Momma There Goes That Man might make some noise. I'd love to see my Mavs upset the Spurs but they just aren't that good in my opinion. Dalembert is not Tyson Chandler.

:lol

ElNono
04-18-2014, 03:25 PM
I would say CLips are a legit darkhorse over Houston, but it's close In fact I would rate Houston over Brooklyn. But I think Brooklyn is the only legit one in the East.

I'm not giving the Clips any credit until they show they've finally figured out how to be a playoff team. Already got burned with them last season. Supposedly that's what Doc is there to address in some shape or form, but it's gonna have to come from CP3, Blake, etc.

They've won about the same amount of games as last season under Vinny, so rolling through the regular season isn't really a clear indicator of anything on that department.

I don't see Houston realistically contending, but they have a solid team overall, and if they catch fire from downtown at the right time, they can be dangerous, which is why I put them as dark horse.

Brooklyn, on the other hand, has more to do with the brackets and matchups. I'm not sure they can get out of the first round, tbh, but if they do manage, I do think they have a decent shot at Miami, especially with experienced players that are not in "awe" of being at that stage.

I also don't have OKC over SAS as favorites, I would probably rank them about the same. I think it would be a compelling series, but OKC doesn't scare me, as I've been saying all season.

I think the Pacers will wake up, and the fact that playoffs are much more slow-paced will help them. I also think they were a bit bored of the RS...

Miami is the back to back defending champ, and so they're the clear cut favorites.

djohn2oo8
04-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Rockets need another year. Or at least this Free Agency to really be contenders, they can be dominant when they want but it only happens in spurts.

DD
04-18-2014, 03:27 PM
First Round:

Pacers over Hawks in 6
Heat over Bobcats in 4
Nets over Raptors in 6
Bulls over Wizards in 7

Spurs over Mavs in 4
Thunder over Grizzlies in 7
Clippers over Warriors in 6
Rockets over Blazers in 5

CSF:

Pacers over Bulls in 6
Heat over Nets in 7

Spurs over Rockets in 5
Thunder over Warriors in 5

CF:

Heat over Pacers in 4
Thunder over Spurs in 5

Finals:

Heat over Thunder in 6

Clipper Nation
04-18-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm not giving the Clips any credit until they show they've finally figured out how to be a playoff team. Already got burned with them last season. Supposedly that's what Doc is there to address in some shape or form, but it's gonna have to come from CP3, Blake, etc.
So we have to prove we're a playoff team, but Indiana doesn't have to prove that they're still even a good team, let alone a contender? You do realize how bad they've been since the All-Star Break?

And before you cite last year, it's a lot easier to look like a legit playoff team when you get to have gimme series against the shitty Hawks and Knicks in the first two rounds instead of playing real teams like Memphis and SAS :lol

I'm not saying people aren't justified in being skeptical of the Clippers - even I haven't fully bought in until I see them in the playoffs - but people should at least be consistent and question the Pacers too instead of blindly hyping them up :lol

Leetonidas
04-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Just imagine if OKC never gave Perkins that contract and re-signed Harden. Steven Adams would fill in just fine for that worthless piece of shit. Presti really fucked up

hater
04-18-2014, 03:43 PM
But you said they'll never have a chance with Harden/Howard, tbh..

It doesn't matter, it's cool, it's good that you have realized your opinion was wrong, good for you, tbh..

:tu

IMO laughing at Houston talk about being contenders with Coward, Lin and Chandler as their pillars is not mutually exclusive with thinking they are a dark horse.

:lol LOLckets :lol Lol

ElNono
04-18-2014, 03:54 PM
So we have to prove we're a playoff team, but Indiana doesn't have to prove that they're still even a good team, let alone a contender? You do realize how bad they've been since the All-Star Break?

And before you cite last year, it's a lot easier to look like a legit playoff team when you get to have gimme series against the shitty Hawks and Knicks in the first two rounds instead of playing real teams like Memphis and SAS :lol

I'm not saying people aren't justified in being skeptical of the Clippers - even I haven't fully bought in until I see them in the playoffs - but people should at least be consistent and question the Pacers too instead of blindly hyping them up :lol

I already said why I think the Pacers will wake up. Both teams have basically kept the same core since last season (heck, probably at least two seasons already), so I'm taking that as a reference.

The playoffs are a different beast, and Indiana, skidding or not, still holds the #1 defense in the league. I think the slow pace helps them, and conversely, that's something that has caused problems for teams like the Clippers, which has historically had problems attacking and defending half court sets.

You might not agree with it, and there's always the chance that the Pacers are done and the Clips have figured out a few things on their own, but I've seen this Indiana team be really good in the playoffs. I haven't seen the Clippers do the same (yet).

Clipper Nation
04-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Yet the playoffs are a lot easier in the East, tbh.... put Indy in the West and do you really think that team is going far? Conversely, if we got to have gimme series the past two years instead of Memphis and SAS, our playoff record would be inflated :lol

You still need to score to win games, and Indy's offense has become iso-heavy, predictable, and easy to shut down.... for a while, they struggled to even crack 80 points every night.... additionally, their "#1 defense" has collapsed after the all-star break, allowing blowout losses to supposedly inferior teams like Cleveland, Charlotte, and Minny down the stretch, tbh.... at a time when the Pacers should be building momentum, they got clownstomped by Houston, SAS, and Atlanta (first half)....

It would not surprise me one bit if the Pacers choked in the second round, tbh....

In fairness, the concerns about our defense are fair, as it's noticeably worse against over .500 teams.... that being said, it's the first year of a new defensive system, and our offense actually improves against over .500 teams....

ElNono
04-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Yet the playoffs are a lot easier in the East, tbh.... put Indy in the West and do you really think that team is going far? Conversely, if we got to have gimme series the past two years instead of Memphis and SAS, our playoff record would be inflated :lol

You still need to score to win games, and Indy's offense has become iso-heavy, predictable, and easy to shut down.... for a while, they struggled to even crack 80 points every night.... additionally, their "#1 defense" has collapsed after the all-star break, allowing blowout losses to supposedly inferior teams like Cleveland, Charlotte, and Minny down the stretch, tbh.... at a time when the Pacers should be building momentum, they got clownstomped by Houston, SAS, and Atlanta (first half)....

It would not surprise me one bit if the Pacers choked in the second round, tbh....

Well, we can't change which teams are in the East or West, just gotta work with what we have. That's a different topic entirely.

And I think Indiana earned the benefit of the doubt. Bringing up the regular season tells me very little, tbh... teams get bored of the regular season... Miami, Pacers, OKC, Spurs... they all had shitty losses here and there, including the stretch run...

There are no guarantees. They could get a couple of solid wins and right the ship (which is what I think will happen), or drop the ball and meltdown (which could also happen, but I don't see it). If I'm wrong about this and the Clips, then I'm wrong. No biggie. We're just trying to get a feel of what people think before the games are played.

Killakobe81
04-18-2014, 04:11 PM
For the record not so sure about my ranking OKC over SAS like many said they are pretty even ...

Best player: Durant
Better coach: Pop and it's nooooot close.
Bench: Spurs
Better execution: Spurs
2nd best player: Healthy Westbrok/Parker (tie)

Really should be a great series. But give the edge to Durant because he is playing so well this year.

Robz4000
04-18-2014, 04:34 PM
East:
Indy over Atlanta in 5
Miami over Charlotte in 5
Brooklyn over Toronto in 6
Washington over Chicago in 6

West:
San Antonio over Dallas in 5
MethKC over Memphis in 6
Los Angeles Sr. over Golden State in 7
Houston over Guests in 5

ECSF:
Indy over Washington in 6
Miami over Brooklyn in 7

WCSF:
San Antonio over Houston in 6
MethKC over Los Angeles Sr. in 7

ECF:
Miami over Indy in 7 (:lol so much for HCA)
San Antonio over MethKC in 6 (homer pick but it's a toss-up; if Meth scrubs play like MJ the series goes 7)

Finals:
San Antonio over Miami in 6

TIMMYtoZO
04-18-2014, 07:42 PM
This is hard for me to say. I normally would say Miami has the 3-peat in the bag, but that one fucking team in East Texas could be standing in the way if they get to the finals. If the Rockets win the west, the finals are a toss up. If San Antonio gets in,Miami in 6. If OKC flukes their way in, Miami sweeps.

sook
04-18-2014, 07:52 PM
JVG always puzzled me with his love for the rockets. Usually when a team fires you, you sever all ties. He's a cool dude though :tu

Its hard to pick anyone other than the spurs to be the favorites at this point, they just look way too motivated this year. They were pretty much coasting through the regular season and still managed to win 60 games. Don't really see many teams except Miami taking them out, and since this is the 2nd year they will probably face off again you can bet that Pop isn't going to fuck up twice.

I'll end of with Rudy T's famous quotes though, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion--" Miami's recent trouble could be attributed to boredom, so if they flip the switch and Lebron brings the wrecking ball out, its theirs to lose.

Malik Hairston
04-18-2014, 08:18 PM
For the record not so sure about my ranking OKC over SAS like many said they are pretty even ...

Best player: Durant
Better coach: Pop and it's nooooot close.
Bench: Spurs
Better execution: Spurs
2nd best player: Healthy Westbrok/Parker (tie)

Really should be a great series. But give the edge to Durant because he is playing so well this year.

Westbrook >> Parker, this season, tbh..

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Westbrook >> Parker, this season, tbh..

:lmao

Sybok
04-18-2014, 08:26 PM
You'll have to aks them.

Malik Hairston
04-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Tony has been pretty bad this year, sorry bro..

Aztecfan03
04-18-2014, 10:34 PM

I think two years ago was OKC's best chance.

Katherine Robinson
04-18-2014, 11:04 PM
I think two years ago was OKC's best chance.

OKC had 0% chance to beat that Heat team, this year the Heat have their share of wear & tear and are more susceptible to a faster paced team. Even without Harden, their chances are better in the finals.

The road to the finals, however, will be tougher.

ElNono
04-19-2014, 01:34 AM
OKC had 0% chance to beat that Heat team, this year the Heat have their share of wear & tear and are more susceptible to a faster paced team. Even without Harden, their chances are better in the finals.

The road to the finals, however, will be tougher.

Disagree. OKC has no shot against Miami. They do, however, have a great shot if the Pacers come out of the East.

Katherine Robinson
04-19-2014, 01:38 AM
Disagree. OKC has no shot against Miami. They do, however, have a great shot if the Pacers come out of the East.

Little chance you mean, the Heat are fatigued after so many finals appearances and they aren't a very young team. In 2012, they were relatively fresh and savvy.

Killakobe81
04-19-2014, 01:38 AM
Should be great stuff

ElNono
04-19-2014, 01:45 AM
Little chance you mean, the Heat are fatigued after so many finals appearances and they aren't a very young team. In 2012, they were relatively fresh and savvy.

They just don't match up, IMO. Plus Miami is the one team OKC doesn't get their 20+ FTA/game against, which they need since their offense is already measurably crappier than Miami's.

Short of Lebron/Wade/Bosh getting hurt, I can't think of a scenario where Miami doesn't beat them in 6 games or less.

Robert Griffin III
04-19-2014, 01:47 AM

Outside of game 5, each game went down to the very end. James Harden sucked a fat dick in almost every game.

The Heat are arguably on their last legs, not to mention Wade's knees are not good anymore. KD's even better than he was 2 years ago.

I don't know why people are so quick to say OKC won't challenge Miami, or at least make them work for it.

Katherine Robinson
04-19-2014, 01:49 AM
They just don't match up, IMO. Plus Miami is the one team OKC doesn't get their 20+ FTA/game against, which they need since their offense is already measurably crappier than Miami's.

Short of Lebron/Wade/Bosh getting hurt, I can't think of a scenario where Miami doesn't beat them in 6 games or less.

A poor matchup, yes, but factors working against the Heat this year leaves them more susceptible to a high scoring team. 0% chance to 10% shot in the dark

ElNono
04-19-2014, 01:52 AM
A poor matchup, yes, but factors working against the Heat this year leaves them more susceptible to a high scoring team. 0% chance to 10% shot in the dark

Fair enough.

I just think that if Miami is so "weak" this season (not buying it until I see it, they coasted quite a bit, IMO), I'm not so sure they make the Finals in that case. Which means OKC then has a great shot if they make it that far.

ElNono
04-19-2014, 01:57 AM

Outside of game 5, each game went down to the very end. James Harden sucked a fat dick in almost every game.

The Heat are arguably on their last legs, not to mention Wade's knees are not good anymore. KD's even better than he was 2 years ago.

I don't know why people are so quick to say OKC won't challenge Miami, or at least make them work for it.

I just hasn't seen things change much. OKC had that great game in Miami this season, and I thought their fortunes might have changed, but then Miami went to OKC and ran a train in their house.

Miami's D has been notoriously worse than season's past, but I just don't know how much of that can be attributed to just being lazy and waiting for the big dance.

I guess we'll know more after the first round.

Katherine Robinson
04-19-2014, 01:59 AM
Fair enough.

I just think that if Miami is so "weak" this season (not buying it until I see it, they coasted quite a bit, IMO), I'm not so sure they make the Finals in that case. Which means OKC then has a great shot if they make it that far.

Weak? No, but are they putting on a lot of miles as a whole? Absolutely - which is all I point out.

ElNono
04-19-2014, 02:04 AM
Weak? No, but are they putting on a lot of miles as a whole? Absolutely - which is all I point out.

The odds are always stacked when you're going for a 3-peat, no doubt. But they still have the best player in the league in his basketball prime and a heck of a team. Not sold yet on the "tired" story...

spurraider21
04-19-2014, 03:16 AM
he also said lebron could never win as number 1 option

Killakobe81
04-24-2014, 08:31 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140418/2014-nba-playoffs-predictions/

The SI crew's picks:

2 experts chose: OKC
2 experts chose: SAS
1 chose: MIA

Killakobe81
04-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Here is a place to support or bash expert analysis for this year's playoffs. I will kick us off.

Jeff Van Gundy predicts the Rockets will win the 2014 NBA Finals

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140417/jeff-van-gundy-houston-rockets-nba-finals-prediction/#ixzz2zFlc22sH

Harden is a beast, when healthy Dwight is a force down low, Parsons is a great slasher and Pat B a pest. But ....

Dat defense ... :rollin
Dat coach ... :lmao

Isn't Lebron and Durant still playing? do they buy that Rox regular season success over Spurs? I say no way. Kevin McHale coach of the NBA champion Rockets ... just cannot see it.

Bumpity bump!