PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts - Spurs vs. Mavericks Round 1 Game 1

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Game at a Glance
It took a few quarters, but playoff basketball made its official return to the Alamo City with 6 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Sparked by back-to-back Kawhi Leonard steals, the good guys were able to reel off a magnificent run on offense while also putting together several tough stances on defense with a few lucky bounces off of the rim here and there as well. Despite Dirk Nowitzki being held in check most of the day, and Tim Duncan going off for the quietest 27 point game you will ever see, the Spurs had to grind this one out and came out unscathed.
http://www.beyondperimeters.com/box1.jpg

Player & Coach Grades

---------------
Tony Parker
http://www.spurstalk.com/tp12.png
Out of the gates, Parker was dribble-happy to say the least, and repeatedly passed up open jumpers in favor of drives that were ending in nothing. After finding a bit of a groove, Tony was able to take advantage of Dalembert and Nowitzki being switched onto him and made Dallas pay in the paint. The intensity was lacking up until the point when Devin Harris checked in, and suddenly TP ratcheted up the effort on defense and began to systematically collapse Dallas' interior with the result being an open layup for a teammate or himself. Down the stretch he was invisible for much of the 4th quarter, but was able to come up with a couple of timely buckets to seal the deal.
Final Grade: B

---------------
Tim Duncan
http://www.spurstalk.com/td12.png
The Big Fundamental opened the game seemingly out of rhythm and extremely rusty. The first quarter featured several catches under the basket where the coordination just wasn't there, and what are normally routine layups, turned into Dallas defensive boards. After going to the bench, Timmy was able to settle in and in the 2nd half went on a tear. He routinely abused Dirk, Wright, and Dalembert in the paint and when he wasn't finishing his shots, he was getting fouled and sent to the line. On defense, he was able to stay around the basket and help off of his man when needed. When the announcers mentioned his 26 points, I had to pull the box score up and see for myself because it seemed like he was more around 15. Hopefully his 15-17' jumper makes an appearance soon.
Final Grade: A-

---------------
Tiago Splitter
http://www.spurstalk.com/ts12.png
When I stopped writing these grades, a common theme for Tiago Splitter was how dominant he was on defense...and how maddeningly horrible he was around the rim on offense. Some things never change. Splitter was fantastic when thrown onto Nowitzki and used his length to make life extremely difficult for Dirk on his jump shots, probably the best job I've seen anyone in a Spurs uniform play Dirk and quite possibly the best anyone in the NBA has played him recently. Tiago was also in full on beast mode rebounding the ball, and was about as angry as I've seen him when competing on the glass. Fantastic play, except for on offense where he was pretty much useless. He had ample opportunities to take the ball up and throw it down or lay it in from directly under the basket, but was so intimidated that he found himself passing out to the wings even when time was running down. Luckily we don't need his scoring in this series, but if the Spurs are lucky enough to move on, Tiago is going to have to find a way to finish at the basket.
Final Grade: B

---------------
Kawhi Leonard
http://www.beyondperimeters.com/kl.png
Kawhi Leonard's early aggressiveness against Monta Ellis in the paint soon turned into going through the motions for much of the game. The alertness level just wasn't there, and the energy was severely lacking. At times this year the Aztec alumni has had stretches of uninterested play that most assumed would fall away once the playoffs started, and most were disappointed to see it again today. It wasn't until 6 minutes were left in the 4th quarter that Leonard truly made his presence felt when he came up with back-to-back steals that sparked the Spurs run that ended the game. Here's to hoping the light is now on for the postseason, and that Leonard will be back to wreaking havoc in the passing lanes and being the disruptive force he needs to be for the season to end successfully.
Final Grade: C+

---------------
Danny Green
http://www.spurstalk.com/dg12.png
There are games when the box score lies, and games when the box score is all you need to know about a game to make a judgment. Today would be a case of the latter. Danny Green did pretty much nothing in his 24 minutes on the court, as evidenced by his -6 +/-. It wasn't until halfway through the 2nd quarter that he made a positive play off of a horrid pass by Jose Calderon that led to a steal. If you're looking for a positive out of this performance, I guess you can fall back on knowing that Green is one of the most streaky players in the NBA and if he's this cold and dead now, maybe we'll see him heat up over the next couple of rounds when he's really needed.
Final Grade: D+

---------------
Manu Ginobili
http://www.spurstalk.com/mg12.png
The bright spot of an otherwise lackluster performance by the second unit. Ginobili checked into the game and promptly got to work. He repeatedly found himself penetrating deep into the paint and when he wasn't authoring fantastic interior passes to Timmy, he was throwing the ball in from downtown. When it looked as if the Spurs were in for a giant letdown to begin the playoffs, Ginobili single handedly kept the team afloat in the 3rd quarter and was a menace in the passing lanes and on the glass. Most impressive in this game was the fact that he only threw one Manu-ish pass, and not until the 4th quarter.
Final Grade: B+

---------------
Boris Diaw
http://www.spurstalk.com/bd12.png
See: Danny Green. This may not be the series for Mr.Diaw. Unable to get great position against the bigger Dallas frontline, and unable to contest Dirk's high release. My guess is that Boris plays ~15 minutes a game the rest of the series, and cedes a few more minutes to Splitter. When he wasn't being shot over by Dirk, Boris did his best to play like Pre-2014 Diaw while repeatedly looking to do nothing more but pass the ball.
Final Grade: D

---------------
Marco Belinelli
http://www.beyondperimeters.com/mb.png
Marco never quite found a rhythm, and his shot had a definite hitch when coming off of screens today. This entire afternoon was a game the 2nd unit can't wait to forget.
Final Grade: D

---------------
Patrick Mills
http://www.spurstalk.com/pm12.png
Coming into this series I was expecting Patty Mills to absolutely torch the Dallas backcourt for 15+ points each game, instead we were all treated to the Devin Harris show as Mills let the journeyman point guard put on a basketball clinic from every spot on the floor. He got torched from downtown, to the basket, and in the midrange game while letting his energy and bounciness be used against him and he kept finding himself overplaying and at least 2 feet away from his man. After some time on the bench, the Australian checked back in and competed much smarter on defense but the damage had already been done.
Final Grade: D-

---------------
Pop
http://www.spurstalk.com/gp12.png
Pop's game plan was solid, but the team execution was the problem today. Can you blame him for the lack of energy and effort to open the game? Maybe, but I lay that on the players first.
Final Grade: A

---------------
Offense
The two major catalysts for this Spurs squad all season have been the 3 point shot, and the bench. Today, neither showed up and this Game 1 was a much bigger struggle than most anticipated it to be. It wasn't until 8:24 were on the clock in the 2nd quarter that the first 3 pointer dropped through the net and not for lack of trying. Saying that the bench unit struggled today would be the understatement of a lifetime. Patty Mills, Marco Belinelli, and Boris Diaw combined to score a grand total of 6 points. Yes, 6. Luckily for them, we were treated to a vintage showing by our Big 3 that saw Duncan, Manu, and Tony pour in 65 of the Spurs 90 points. Look for a much more balanced attack to be on display in Game 2.
Final Grade: C-

---------------
Defense
While the offense was dismal, the defense shined over the entire 4 quarters of play today. Tiago Splitter was the most impressive member of the team on that end of the court, and the team as a whole made life very difficult for Dirk Nowitzki in particular. With the exception of Devin Harris, no member of the Mavs was able to find a sustainable groove and were held to their lowest 1st quarter point total of the season. The tone has been set on defense, lets hope it holds.
Final Grade: A-

http://www.beyondperimeters.com/popandtim.png

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-20-2014, 06:52 PM
If you find any grammar mistakes or shit like that, point them out so I can fix them. Just typed this all up from my handwritten notes and wanted to get it up here ASAP

weeks
04-20-2014, 06:52 PM
now that's more like it

Prime Time
04-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Love the post, but honestly "TacoCabanaFajitas" is the most stereotypical name a Spurs fan could have came up with :downspin:

Great read though. I still feel some people are being too harsh on Green, but agree with the rest.

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Love the post, but honestly "TacoCabanaFajitas" is the most stereotypical name a Spurs fan could have came up with :downspin:

Great read though. I still feel some people are being too harsh on Green, but agree with the rest.

When I left home (San Antonio), Taco Cabana fajitas were the thing I missed most. It's my way of paying homage to one of the truly great institutions of Texas culture.

ElNono
04-20-2014, 07:01 PM
solid writeup, thanks :tu

noles1983
04-20-2014, 07:04 PM
why people like TC is beyond me

HemisfairArena
04-20-2014, 07:07 PM
I would upgrade Splitter to an A. Why?,,,,,,because if he can average 8 and 11 in 31 minutes while shooting 50% from the field it means Bonner only gets 2 minutes of play and that is aces in my book.

spurs10
04-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Good write-up Senor Fajita. Thanks! :toast

benefactor
04-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Thanks man.

Mikeanaro
04-20-2014, 07:25 PM
No more Bonner please Pop.

silverblackfan
04-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Good read and summary of the game. Thanks!

I have to believe that Patty, Marco, Danny and KL will shoot better next game. I imagine 3's are being shot in the gym a lot for the next one.

heyheymymy
04-20-2014, 07:29 PM
thanks op

Leetonidas
04-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Nice job :tu

RD2191
04-20-2014, 07:34 PM
TCF is that nigga:hat

concan1
04-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks Great Job!!!!

SpurPadre
04-20-2014, 07:39 PM
I would upgrade Splitter to an A. Why?,,,,,,because if he can average 8 and 11 in 31 minutes while shooting 50% from the field it means Bonner only gets 2 minutes of play and that is aces in my book.

Why the fuck did Bonner get two minutes and not Baynes, anyways?

SpursRock20
04-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Because most people only have Taco Bell for their mexican fast food option, so yeah, Taco Cabana is definitely something to be missed.

BTW, good write-up OP. Solid analysis.

HemisfairArena
04-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Because most people only have Taco Bell for their mexican fast food option, so yeah, Taco Cabana is definitely something to be missed.

BTW, good write-up OP. Solid analysis.

Give me Las Palapas over either of them.

HI-FI
04-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Taco Cabana is pretty good for fast food purposes.

:tu on the writeup as well.

jeebus
04-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Why the fuck did Bonner get two minutes and not Baynes, anyways?
He wasn't dressed. Errors, however, was dressed. :td

SpursRock20
04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Does anyone else have a problem with Duncan playing the most minutes out of anyone? I mean, the dude is 38 years old and he still has to play the most minutes. I expect more out of Diaw and Splitter in game 2. Duncan doesn't need to be ridden to the ground this early in the playoffs.

Mark in Austin
04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Patty Mills, Marco Belinelli, and Boris Diaw combined to score a grand total of 6 points. Yes, 6. Luckily for them, we were treated to a vintage showing by our Big 3 that saw Duncan, Manu, and Tony pour in 65 of the Spurs 90 points. Look for a much more balanced attack to be on display in Game 2.

The offense is my biggest concern. For this game at least, the team seems to have regressed. I have to believe the offensive struggles of Green, Mills, Belli, etc was at least partially due to a lack of ball movement - even more critical in the post season to get even slightly open shots. Big 3 + nobody else contributing is a recipe for disaster, especially if the Spurs are fortunate enough to advance.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-20-2014, 07:57 PM

They were really good back in the 80's and early 90's. However, the cook and her name has since been associated with Mama Margies. Mama Margies beef and chicken fajitas are some of the best in SA.

HI-FI
04-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Does anyone else have a problem with Duncan playing the most minutes out of anyone? I mean, the dude is 38 years old and he still has to play the most minutes. I expect more out of Diaw and Splitter in game 2. Duncan doesn't need to be ridden to the ground this early in the playoffs.
Yes. believe he played the most minutes in the RS, though still low compared to the rest of the league.
But not sure what is up with that, hopefully others step up and he gets rest. Though maybe Duncan wants the minutes and can handle them.

Bartleby
04-20-2014, 08:06 PM
If you find any grammar mistakes or shit like that, point them out so I can fix them. Just typed this all up from my handwritten notes and wanted to get it up here ASAP

At times this year the Aztec alumni has had stretches of disinterested play

The word you're looking for is uninterested. Disinterested means objective, without bias.

skulls138
04-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Agreed. The rest of the team should be embarrassed that Duncan had to bail them out....again.

exstatic
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Dallas came up with a gimmicky defense where they switch everything. I expect Pop to dissect it and the Spurs to hang 110-115 points on Dallas in game 2.

Sean Cagney
04-20-2014, 08:13 PM
No more Bonner please Pop.

We have waited years for this, finally think we are rid of that guy and POP rolls him out for game one of course :lol

HemisfairArena
04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Duncan is the franchise,,,,plain and simple. He is the beginning, the middle, and the end as far as the Spurs go. You guys act like he's a porcelain doll,,,,delicate and fragile. He's actually more like those appliances you see in the store that have the yellow warning triangle label that says hazardous to your health and dangerous when fucked with.

Mikeanaro
04-20-2014, 08:24 PM
We have waited years for this, finally think we are rid of that guy and POP rolls him out for game one of course :lol
Exactly! we have bigs Pop used Errors most of the regular season (I prefer Baynes) and I understand Daye came a little late but promises good development and our old sports Pop puts Gingerbread again in the playoffs to make soft cheese cream. Why oh Why!?:downspin:

TheyCallMePro
04-20-2014, 08:26 PM
We were awful today. The bench didn't show up at all, and the Big 3 had to carry us throughout the entire game. We played like we did from 2008-2011. Can't win in the playoffs like that.

I'm so sick of watching the Spurs go away from what makes them great in the playoffs. Parker starts to dominate the ball and he's great, but our offense suffers tremendously when he doesn't score. And we just stop trusting guys like Patty Mills and Danny Green. If Green makes a mistake, boom, Ginobili comes in for him. And Parker can't stand sitting on the bench. He always complains to Pop when he takes him out. No wonder Patty can't play well. Parker is burning a hole in his side the whole time he's in.

Pop needs to talk to these players: Belli, Green, Kawhi, Mills, and Diaw. He has to tell them that we NEED their contributions to win. Tell them to shoot. Tell them to get involved. Because if they don't, we're going to lose for SURE vs Houston in the second round.

Trainwreck2100
04-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Dallas came up with a gimmicky defense where they switch everything. I expect Pop to dissect it and the Spurs to hang 110-115 points on Dallas in game 2.

Looked like the same "no threes" bullshit the blazers were running to start the season. Spurs were missing spot of bunnies early

Biggems
04-20-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm not all that concerned. Diaw missed a lot of open shots. Shots that he has been making all season. We missed several shots right at the rim as well. We weren't the only ones. Dallas missed a lot of shots as well, especially in the 4th. Today was only the second time I have ever seen Dirk shoot so poorly against us. TBH, it seemed like both teams were trying to make shots in carnival rims

dg7md
04-20-2014, 09:09 PM
We've been historically terrible in early games, and it's fortunate we eked out a win how we did.

gilmor
04-20-2014, 09:29 PM
We were awful today. The bench didn't show up at all, and the Big 3 had to carry us throughout the entire game. We played like we did from 2008-2011. Can't win in the playoffs like that.

I'm so sick of watching the Spurs go away from what makes them great in the playoffs. Parker starts to dominate the ball and he's great, but our offense suffers tremendously when he doesn't score. And we just stop trusting guys like Patty Mills and Danny Green. If Green makes a mistake, boom, Ginobili comes in for him. And Parker can't stand sitting on the bench. He always complains to Pop when he takes him out. No wonder Patty can't play well. Parker is burning a hole in his side the whole time he's in.

Pop needs to talk to these players: Belli, Green, Kawhi, Mills, and Diaw. He has to tell them that we NEED their contributions to win. Tell them to shoot. Tell them to get involved. Because if they don't, we're going to lose for SURE vs Houston in the second round.

This is the Playoffs.. Not Regular Seasons. If you can't stand it.. stop watching.. U will see Parker logging a lot of minutes and Patty less..

boutons_deux
04-20-2014, 09:31 PM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/5-thoughts-dallas-mavericks-exit-court-like-team-that-just-had-season-ended.html/

Sean Cagney
04-20-2014, 09:35 PM
We've been historically terrible in early games, and it's fortunate we eked out a win how we did.

YES, which is why I said when I saw the schedule not this CRAP again. Not only if you lose the game you have all day to think about it instead of just going to sleep, you have to go a few days on end without a game as well and it would drive me crazy. Fortunate they eked out the win, indeed.
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/04/5-thoughts-dallas-mavericks-exit-court-like-team-that-just-had-season-ended.html/

Eh wishful thinking like I thought the Warriors MIGHT last year after game one and we saw what happened. They were dissapointed bigtime I am sure, but they will be ready to play again in this series! Especially in game 3 at home. They are not defeated yet, they will give the Spurs a few tough games.

heyheymymy
04-20-2014, 10:01 PM
even game 3 next sat is at like 330 pm. wtf our guys play terrible for early games, kinda funny how we keep getting them.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
04-20-2014, 10:08 PM
This is the Playoffs.. Not Regular Seasons. If you can't stand it.. stop watching.. U will see Parker logging a lot of minutes and Patty less..

pretty much

superjames1992
04-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Nice grades, tbh. I think you graded a few players too low like Parker, tbh (should be an A, IMO), but good work, Taco. :tu

TampaDude
04-20-2014, 10:43 PM

Game 2 will be an utter blowout by the Spurs...something like 111-89.

Boomersgold
04-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Disagree with Manu's grade, but a solid write up. Thanks!

downunder
04-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Problem with grading players is that ignores opposition team tactics. Dallas have stated that their game plan was to stop Spurs 3 point shooters and then win in the paint by crushing Duncan. First part of plan successful; Duncan however was brilliant. The bench of Spurs was guarded out of the game by defenders in their face. Problem for Spurs is they still do not how to effectively switch when Dallas sets up a screen. Chasing around the screen instead of switching does NOT work.

downunder
04-21-2014, 01:40 AM
Failed to add Parker countered tactic of Dallas by driving into paint as he had more space as defenders had to come further out to try to stop 3 point shooters.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-21-2014, 01:53 AM
Dallas came out with a strong game plan all things considered. They started switching but we went to those early mismatches and then Carlisles played the pick and roll straight up and tried to play it as close but kept his guys home on three point shooters not named Boris. Boris played like shit.

freetiago
04-21-2014, 03:02 AM
people dont understand that MAvs gameplan was to stop everyone but Tim/Tony
they forced them into 1vs1 situations that were favorable for the Spurs and dared to see if the old Spurs could carry them for 48 minutes

it was a good strategy and one the Mavs should keep trying if they want to have any chance
before the series I heard Rick Carlisle on ESPN talking about the matchup and the thing he noted were the Spurs players especially Danny Green kill them from outside
he took away the outside shooting so I dont see anything magically changing that will free up the roleplayers
Pop can run some more non-pick and roll plays with some weakside screen action and misdirection to get shots but they wont be drive and kicks

its no coincidence that everyone who scored tonight was someone who could create their own shot outside of Boris and Splitter who scored on the few breakdowns Dallas had in pick and roll D that got them layups

gilmor
04-21-2014, 03:09 AM
There will be changes in the 2nd game.

Spurs will play smarter and hopefully can get the rest to score.

waisman
04-21-2014, 05:07 AM
Too bad Mills and Belinelli .
Ginobili could not rest in 3Q4Q .

Kidd K
04-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Timmy and Tony looked great. Leonard was good in spots but as usual has dead spots during games where he does nothing on either end despite chances.

Manu was statistically okay but I felt like he played poorly anyway. Like he was scoring but defending and playmaking poorly.

I'm encouraged to see Tony healthy and Timmy proving he can reach back and go God Mode still if we need it. Manu worries me as usual. He's still a careless few plays away from blowing games for us per par.

BillMc
04-21-2014, 08:22 AM
they forced them into 1vs1 situations that were favorable for the Spurs and dared to see if the old Spurs could carry them for 48 minutes

it was a good strategy and one the Mavs should keep trying if they want to have any chance
before the series I heard Rick Carlisle on ESPN talking about the matchup and the thing he noted were the Spurs players especially Danny Green kill them from outside
he took away the outside shooting so I dont see anything magically changing that will free up the roleplayers
Pop can run some more non-pick and roll plays with some weakside screen action and misdirection to get shots but they wont be drive and kicks

its no coincidence that everyone who scored tonight was someone who could create their own shot outside of Boris and Splitter who scored on the few breakdowns Dallas had in pick and roll D that got them layups

This.

team-work
04-21-2014, 09:10 AM
:tu:worthy:Awesome thoughts

DesignatedT
04-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Great job :tu

EVAY
04-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Thank you for the grades, but I agree with others here that Tony should have gotten a higher grade than he did. Credit Mavs' defense for executing their game plan and shutting down our three point shooters. TP kept the Spurs in the game in the first half almost single-handedly, both offensively and defensively. Criticizing him for taking a few plays to figure out what the defense was going to give the team before he starting carving them up was smart; it was not passive or poor playing.

For the game, Tim and Tony were the only team members who shot better than 50%. In the second half Tony was trying desperately to get others scoring, but the shots weren't falling for them.

Manu was 4-10 from the field for the game and Kawhi was 4 of 11. Tony was 9 of 16; Tim was 12 of 20.

Sometimes Tony is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he is taking a lot of shots, he is 'Enrique', and if he is not, he is 'disappearing'.

He also played some great defense in this game.

pgardn
04-21-2014, 09:33 AM
We won despite not being able to hit open midrange jumpers. When Tony finally hit a big one he started this to self verbal tirade that to me, illustrated the frustration.

We all know Pop likes the 3, easy layup combo. Parker provided the easy layups first half. And provided Tim with layups. But honest to God we have to hit a few open midrange shots. Tim... You can't just live off Parker table settings, a few elbow jumpers would be great.
We shot very poorly. Even after Dallas got tired. Which played a huge role in that 4th quarter stretch of misses Dallas went through. The D was good, but Dallas certainly helped by wearing out.

Carter, Ellis and Dirk looked unusually slow during that period of time. Calderon probably should have played more. After missing some wide open jumpers Calderon got hot in the 3rd and then was forgotten when he missed one. Dirk 42 min.... 11 pts... Mostly off Boris if I recall.

Dex
04-21-2014, 09:41 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JXd53d4.jpg

DarrinS
04-21-2014, 09:53 AM
This can't happen again

Marco 0-4 FGM-A, 0-2 3PM-A
Patty 1-4 FGM-A, 0-3 3PM-A
Green 0-2 FGM-A, 0-1 3PM-A
Kawhi 4-11 FGM-A, 0-3 3PM-A

Lol, the trend continues where Spurs are undefeated when Splitter scores at least 7 pts

FromWayDowntown
04-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Plus-minus is often deceiving and rarely indicative of player quality, but I thought the plus/minus numbers for the Spurs in Game 1 really told the tale and explain why Duncan's minutes were so relatively high -- without him in Game 1, the Spurs had no chance. Even before the big run at the end, the plus/minus column made it clear that the Spurs had any success against Dallas only when at least two of Duncan, Leonard, and Parker were on the floor.

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-21-2014, 10:13 AM

I think their game plan was pretty obvious and I'm not sure who doesn't understand it. The only guy that should be really hurting from it is Danny Green. Marco, Patty, Manu, Kawhi, and Boris all have the ability to drive from a hard closeout at the three point line and finish around the rim. The only thing was all of them except Manu were completely out of sorts yesterday. Marco missed a couple of easy wide open looks, Patty just never found his timing on either side of the ball, and Boris could have busted the game open had he put his head down and looked to score instead of reverting to his old ways. If you think Marco, Patty, and Boris combine to hit 2 shots again in this series because of Dallas' gameplan then you're nuts.

Boris Diaw is the key here. I said it in one of my early Game Thoughts this year that an aggressive Boris Diaw in last years Finals would have been the difference in taking home the trophy, and I still believe that. He's going to be useless in this series if he doesn't start taking the ball into Dirk's chest and forcing him to play his shot rather than his pass. If Boris can get it going, suddenly Dirk needs help inside and then our shooters and cutters are open for Diaw to showcase those passing skills

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
The word you're looking for is uninterested. Disinterested means objective, without bias.

Awesome, thanks for pointing this out sir

weeks
04-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Lol, the trend continues where Spurs are undefeated when Splitter scores at least 7 pts

that shit got busted against the lakers breh

rmt
04-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Spurs took what MAV defense gave them. MAVS have seen that the reason for Spurs' great record is the crisp passing, team work and contribution from the bench (everybody involved). They want Parker and Duncan to go iso and take everyone else out - hoping that either TP/TD will have a bad shooting day and/or wear down. They can't beat the whole team that we're used to so they pick their poison, which I believe is the right (only) strategy for them. They kept the game close the whole game but couldn't close. Seems like theirs is the opposite of Pop's where he says any body but Dirk beat us - dares them to shoot.

Pauleta14
04-21-2014, 02:13 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!
so Manu gets a better grade than Tony?!??

wtf SpursTalk...

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-21-2014, 02:16 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!
so Manu gets a better grade than Tony?!??

wtf SpursTalk...

The French flag sort of makes it hard to take you seriously

Mel_13
04-21-2014, 03:53 PM
:tu

Fine job. Looking forward to your Game 2 thoughts.

Spur|n|Austin
04-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks Taco, your grades are always enjoyable to read, and pretty much spot on. If I didn't know any better, I'd figure you were really timvp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) posting under another account. :stirpot:

will_spurs
04-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree with your assessment of the Big 3's effort (and even Tiago).

If anybody kept the Spurs afloat it was Parker in the first half. Carlisle admitted his strategy was to prevent the Spurs from scoring 3s, which worked, but Parker made him pay for it by relentlessly attacking the paint. Parker built the Spurs lead to +12, and as soon as he was on the bench the lead quickly disappeared. He came back at the end of the 2nd to yet again keep the game close. If not for Parker the Spurs would have been down by 10+ at the half.

Then Manu ran the show in the 3rd and the Spurs stalled, but he had 2 threes that were much needed. Parker then had a huge assist to Splitter (from memory) followed by 2 quick baskets at the end of the 4th, when Manu had 2 turnovers, including one pass directly into the stands.

The fact that the Mavs bench scored twice as many points as the Spurs bench is somewhat worrisome. Hopefully it was only a fluke.

Duncan and Tiago were great. Tiago wasn't looking for his own shot, but scored back-to-back baskets in the 4th to help cut Dallas lead. He was huge in this game.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-21-2014, 05:48 PM

The grades make it hard to take you seriously. Carlisle forced Parker to beat them and he did especially in the first half. IOW, Parker carried us.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree with your assessment of the Big 3's effort (and even Tiago).

If anybody kept the Spurs afloat it was Parker in the first half. Carlisle admitted his strategy was to prevent the Spurs from scoring 3s, which worked, but Parker made him pay for it by relentlessly attacking the paint. Parker built the Spurs lead to +12, and as soon as he was on the bench the lead quickly disappeared. He came back at the end of the 2nd to yet again keep the game close. If not for Parker the Spurs would have been down by 10+ at the half.

Then Manu ran the show in the 3rd and the Spurs stalled, but he had 2 threes that were much needed. Parker then had a huge assist to Splitter (from memory) followed by 2 quick baskets at the end of the 4th, when Manu had 2 turnovers, including one pass directly into the stands.

The fact that the Mavs bench scored twice as many points as the Spurs bench is somewhat worrisome. Hopefully it was only a fluke.

Duncan and Tiago were great. Tiago wasn't looking for his own shot, but scored back-to-back baskets in the 4th to help cut Dallas lead. He was huge in this game.

Manu was able to generate open shots but Boris, Belli and to a lesser extent Mills missed them. Green was tentative too when Manu played with the starters for that stretch in the second half. Carlisle was sitting guys on the perimeter but we did get open looks even early on.

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-21-2014, 06:45 PM
The grades make it hard to take you seriously. Carlisle forced Parker to beat them and he did especially in the first half. IOW, Parker carried us.

If you're mad because Tony got a B for overdribbling and being unable to get the team started in the first quarter as the PG, awesome. Cry about it and write something better :)

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Tiago wasn't looking for his own shot, but scored back-to-back baskets in the 4th to help cut Dallas lead. He was huge in this game.

So you think it's fine that he passed the ball from his position 3 feet from the hoop, to a teammate covered on the perimeters with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock? I know Dalembert, Dirk, and Wright are quite the defensive stalwarts, but Jesus...I would rather him get the ball up from 3 ft then throw it to an out of rhythm Danny Green, Belinelli, and Mills

Pauleta14
04-21-2014, 07:58 PM

I was on my phone didn't have time to argue...

Forget about my flag, I've critizise Tony and I'm not a Manu hater...

Just look at the stats, the cluch shots...

I'm not saying Manu was crap, he kept us in the game at time... the same way Tony closed it for us.

But Tony scored more, more efficiently, had less TO and was clutch! (He built the lead and closed the game. Not enough?)

I'm not saying you're a tp hater or manu homer (despite your name, see? as stupid as the flag thing), just that maybe you (like many others on this board) have a pb analysing TP's performances for whatever reasons...

superjames1992
04-21-2014, 08:18 PM
But he's right. Enrique should get a B+ at a minimum, probably more like an A- or A. Timmy also should be an A or A+, tbh. Manu as a B+ is probably fine.

As I said before, overall I did like your grades, though, tbh. :tu

Malik Hairston
04-21-2014, 08:26 PM
I've been extremely critical of Parker all season, but I'm not sure how anybody can blame him for anything in yesterday's game:lol..

You can't just magically "get your teammates involved" when the opposing coach's strategy is to sit on the shooters and force the high-usage players to beat you..forcing passes to covered teammates is often just as bad as poor shot selection, tbh(Cory Joseph always does this, and Boris also does it frequently)..

I agree with freetiago's take(per par), but I disagree that the role players didn't get looks..Diaw, Belli and Mills all got a few good looks that they failed to convert IMO, and Leonard missed a few good looks that he usually makes, too..

T Park
04-21-2014, 08:29 PM
If you're mad because Tony got a B for overdribbling and being unable to get the team started in the first quarter as the PG, awesome. Cry about it and write something better :)

You kill the guy's grade for the first quarter?

superjames1992
04-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Parker had six assists, tbh. That's par for the course for him and there were some missed shots by the role players that could have been additional assists, too. I thought he was fine in that regard.

I thought it was disappointing that he decided to disappear for the middle portion of the game, but that's often what you get from him. He'll start out on fire, disappear, and then show up again late. It's just the way it is.

gilmor
04-21-2014, 08:30 PM

Bro Chilled.. Doesn't matter what they said in this Forum.. Bottom line, Spurs win.

If we were to win the Championship (a long and faraway shot), you and I know who will be the MVP :)

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
You kill the guy's grade for the first quarter?

And for being nowhere in sight for the first half of the 4th. Kawhi had more to do with getting us over the hump than Parker did IMO

T Park
04-21-2014, 08:36 PM
And for being nowhere in sight for the first half of the 4th. Kawhi had more to do with getting us over the hump than Parker did IMO

You need to go rewatch the fourth quarter....

FuzzyLumpkins
04-21-2014, 09:54 PM

Overdribbling? Did you bother to look as to where the opposing defenders were positioned or were you just sitting there counting as Tony was putting the ball on the floor? He had one turnover on 6 assists and shot 56%.

And why is Manu not held to the same overdribbling/getting his teammates going standard? He shot 40% and only got 3 dimes while coughing it up 4 times which included his boneheaded forced passes inside that teams have been sitting on for two years now. Trying and failing is not the desired outcome.

will_spurs
04-22-2014, 12:38 AM

Are we talking about the 1st quarter during which Parker scored 9 points on 4-of-6 shooting with 1 rebound and 1 assist? Or are we talking about some other 1st quarter?

If Parker had tried to "get the team started" (and since everybody else was shooting like crap to start the game, we know how that would have ended), you would have said "Parker was his usual pussy self for not abusing a wide open way to the hoop and instead decided to gift his teammates with tough shots".

At this point you might as well write "Tony did the job, but I still don't like him".

Em-City
04-22-2014, 01:33 AM

interchangeable given the context tbh

SpurAddict561
04-22-2014, 06:40 AM
Our bench won't get outscored by 20 again....

wildbill2u
04-22-2014, 09:52 AM
When Parker is "over dribbling" out front, he is looking over the defense to spot the weakness and decide where and how to attack it. Manu does the same thing. They are smart, crafty, veteran players. You don't see Pop going ballistic about it so he probably understands what they are doing and approves.

We can't expect Dirk to go 4-14 again in any game, missing some wide open shots he can make in his sleep. On the other hand, the Mavs can't expect Green, Bellinelli and Mills to shoot that badly either (or can they?) This will be Marco and Patty's first real playoff experience where they are expected to play some meaningful minutes. They have to get over the pressure, but Frankly, if I had to pick one of those three who might fold under playoff pressure it would be Green, even after his remarkable shooting against the Heat last year. Somehow he is just too 'wussy' and streaky for me.

Mel_13
04-22-2014, 09:55 AM
When Parker is "over dribbling" out front, he is looking over the defense to spot the weakness and decide where and how to attack it. Manu does the same thing. They are smart, crafty, veteran players. You don't see Pop going ballistic about it so he probably understands what they are doing and approves.

We can't expect Dirk to go 4-14 again in any game, missing some wide open shots he can make in his sleep. On the other hand, the Mavs can't expect Green, Bellinelli and Mills to shoot that badly either (or can they?) This will be Marco and Patty's first real playoff experience where they are expected to play some meaningful minutes. They have to get over the pressure, but Frankly, if I had to pick one of those three who might fold under playoff pressure it would be Green, even after his remarkable shooting against the Heat last year. Somehow he is just too 'wussy' and streaky for me.

Patty yes, but Marco has played meaningful playoff minutes before. He started in 13 of his 18 previous playoff games.

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Are we talking about the 1st quarter during which Parker scored 9 points on 4-of-6 shooting with 1 rebound and 1 assist? Or are we talking about some other 1st quarter?

If Parker had tried to "get the team started" (and since everybody else was shooting like crap to start the game, we know how that would have ended), you would have said "Parker was his usual pussy self for not abusing a wide open way to the hoop and instead decided to gift his teammates with tough shots".

At this point you might as well write "Tony did the job, but I still don't like him".

Yes I fucking hate Tony Parker. Especially when my Daughter's name is Parker and yes because of Tony Parker. Dumbass

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-22-2014, 10:14 AM
I almost forgot how bad the Tony vs Manu factions are on this board lol. Staying away the last few months was a good idea

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-22-2014, 10:20 AM
When Parker is "over dribbling" out front..

Ah, so this must have been why he wasn't pulling the trigger on those open jumpers he had available in the first quarter. I was wondering why on Earth he wasn't taking open shots there and was continuing to get in the paint

TE
04-22-2014, 10:33 AM
A better username would've been "TacoPalenqueFajitas"...other than that TCF be murdering niggas in the paint tbh

will_spurs
04-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Yes I fucking hate Tony Parker. Especially when my Daughter's name is Parker and yes because of Tony Parker. Dumbass

That shows some dedication. Your assessment of Parker's play in that game was still off the mark as far as I'm concerned (and as far as a couple of other posters are concerned as well).

That doesn't mean you should stay away from SpursTalk or prevent you from writing up the grades next time. I've done it before and know it's tough. I'm glad you took the time to write your thoughts, but you can't expect them not to be challenged, and I'm under the impression that I back up my criticism. As to the trash talk, I feel I'm well within the boundaries of what is usually going on (and has been going on since forever) on this board.

EDIT: and for the record yes I'm partial when it comes to Parker: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135000 - which doesn't mean I'm a Manu hater by a long shot. The Tony vs Manu constant debate around here tires me to no end as well.

hater
04-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Manu B+

please :rolleyes

Manu gets a C+ at best. Dude was mas-o-menos at most

Parker should get an A along with Duncan and Splitter. I don't see how he possibly deserves less credit for the win than the other 2 bigmen

hater
04-22-2014, 04:47 PM

truth bomb tbh

wildchild
04-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Good read! Thanks TacoCabanaFajitas!!

Maybe Leonard's 4th defensive quarter and double-double -rebounding effort- deserved more than C+.
About Tony and other guys said of his second half, I don't think that was Tony's disappearing act. The Mavs made some defensive adjustments at halftime and I expected another guy to step up, expected more from Patty, who was our X factor in last game at Dallas.

TacoCabanaFajitas
04-23-2014, 12:30 AM
That doesn't mean you should stay away from SpursTalk or prevent you from writing up the grades next time. I've done it before and know it's tough. I'm glad you took the time to write your thoughts, but you can't expect them not to be challenged, and I'm under the impression that I back up my criticism. As to the trash talk, I feel I'm well within the boundaries of what is usually going on (and has been going on since forever) on this board.

I don't care about the criticism, but it's always some whiny ass people that turn it into a Manu vs Tony thing. Pathetic members of this board, and one of the many reasons this place is dying. So far 5 people or so disagree with Tp's grade and a bunch of others haven't said anything. It's all opinion and none of it matters but if you're coming to criticize at least be ready to debate it rather than "This is bullshit, he should have a 9 next to his grade!" It all boils down to one thing, do you think Tony played his A game? Do you think Manu played is B game?