PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: After one playoff game, Lillard looks like he'll hoist a trophy

tlongII
04-21-2014, 12:40 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/lamarcus-aldridge-portland-trail-blazers-lebron-james-miami-heat-dwyane-wade-042114

http://msn.foxsports.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/NBA/images/2014/04/20/042014-NBA-Portland-Trail-Blazers-guard-Damian-Lillard-PI--.vadapt.955.medium.28.jpg
Damian Lillard goes for 31 points, nine rebounds and five assists against Terrence Jones and the Rockets in Game 1

The NBA is changing — even while it stays the exact same.

The Washington Wizards and Portland Trail Blazers earned road playoff victories Sunday, marking the first postseason wins for young superstars John Wall and Damian Lillard.

And while that freshness may shine brightest as we cap the opening weekend of the first round, it’s still the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs who quietly loom with routine triumphs.

Here’s what it all means:

TRAIL BLAZERS 122, ROCKETS 120, OT

Trail Blazers lead series 1-0

Takeaway: Damian Lillard appears to be the type of big-game player who will hoist a trophy over his head one day. And that’s only partially a knee-jerk reaction. But the guy doesn't seem startled by any firsts the NBA throws his way. Last year's Rookie of the Year, playing in his first playoff game, hit multiple game-changing buckets down the stretch including two free throws that won the game for the Trail Blazers. There’s something about his confidence that points to future greatness, even if he now has only 31 career playoff points. Portland certainly has to love what it has in this kid, but it looks even better as a side to LaMarcus Aldridge. The pair combined for 77 points, as Aldridge tallied 46 and 18 rebounds. You need multiple impactful superstars to win a title, and at least the Blazers have that.

Star review: James Harden, whose hall pass from his first postseason in Houston has expired, is playing like a lead superstar... high volume shooting included. Meanwhile, Dwight Howard refreshed memories of who he used to be, with 27 points and 15 rebounds. He looked refined with offensive post moves. He looked dominant on the offensive glass. And yes, incredibly, he hit free throws when they counted, connecting on 6-of-7 in the fourth quarter and overtime. This is exactly how the Rockets envisioned things when they paired Harden with Howard. Yet — and this is the scary part for Houston after one game — it still wasn't enough.

Looking ahead: Game 2 at Houston, Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. EST

For Portland to succeed in the playoffs, Aldridge will need to continue his superhuman play and Lillard will need to keep hitting gutsy shots. But Portland shouldn't have to lean so heavily on those two. Portland's issue last season was its invisible bench, an issue that was solved this past regular season. But in Game 1, the bench scored just seven points. No playoff team can rely that heavily on its starters.

ElNono
04-21-2014, 12:43 PM
sup tlong, solid game last night... make sure you enjoy the last two wins your team has left in these playoffs...

The Gemini Method
04-21-2014, 01:00 PM
They should never use 'knee-jerk' and the Blazers in the same article...that's just begging for old spirits to awaken...

Katherine Robinson
04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Lillard will hoist a trophy with a different team, maybe. Not with the current Blazers, however. I do enjoy seeing the rockets revealed for what they are, though.

Thread
04-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Go on, t, stomp a bookend to that mud hole.

CHARGE!!!

AchillesHeel
04-21-2014, 01:18 PM
I actually enjoy watching the Blazers play - they are a fun team to watch. Lillard is a good dude, but I don't see him winning anything in Portland.

Bulaien999
04-21-2014, 01:49 PM
You posting these articles makes my shitty day better.

Chinook
04-21-2014, 01:52 PM
More than being pissed at Tlong for posting these article, I'm dumbfounded that people keep writing them.

8FOR!3
04-21-2014, 02:07 PM
I know ya'll love giving tlong shit, but as for Damian Lillard, he seems to be a hell of a player and clutch. LA also had a huge showing from the looks of it. Wesley Matthews is solid, but Lopez is average and Batum dissapears sometimes. Their biggest problem is that's the extent of their team. The Blazers don't have a bench. That's less of a problem in the playoffs, but I think it'll bite them in the ass eventually. Their bench sucks.

Spur-Addict
04-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Hoist what? I hope you're not referring to the L.O.B :rollin

DJR210
04-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Trophy? Even All-Star MVP is a reach.

hater
04-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Lamarcus Aldridge is playing like a beast, both sides of the court.

Rockets better start doubling the nigga or this series could get ugly. :lol McHale