PDA

View Full Version : Noah wins Defensive Player of the Year; Kawhi comes in 11th, Duncan in 13th

SpursFan86
04-21-2014, 04:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/042114-2013-14-Kia-NBA-Defensive-Player-of-Year-Votes.pdf

Bill Land gave his 2nd-place vote to Kawhi.

Doesn't even really matter outside of the top 5 or so, but figured I'd share anyways. Kind of hilarious to see LeBron come in 6th despite him so obviously coasting on defense the entire year. Just goes to show how dumb these media-voted awards can be sometimes.

Malik Hairston
04-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Anybody that voted for DeAndre Jordan should have their voting credentials revoked, tbh..

Lebron is my nigga, but he barely played any defense this season, tbh..

Kawhi's defense is overrated, 11th is fine for him, he shouldn't be getting 2nd place votes, though..

LakerHater
04-21-2014, 05:13 PM
The Spurs are going to have a press conference tomorrow to announce major award. Got to be Manu 6th Man or Pop COY.

ElNono
04-21-2014, 05:14 PM
The Spurs are going to have a press conference tomorrow to announce major award. Got to be Manu 6th Man or Pop COY.

this one, IMO

8FOR!3
04-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Anybody that voted for DeAndre Jordan should have their voting credentials revoked, tbh..

Lebron is my nigga, but he barely played any defense this season, tbh..

Kawhi's defense is overrated, 11th is fine for him, he shouldn't be getting 2nd place votes, though..

Better than the guy from KTAR radio that gave PJ Tucker the 1st place vote. Does he actually play tough D?

cjw
04-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Other than from the local media, the other Kawhi vote came from Mike Breen who called the finals for ABC/ESPN. Saw the impact KL had first hand.

SpursFan86
04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Better than the guy from KTAR radio that gave PJ Tucker the 1st place vote. Does he actually play tough D?

PJ Tucker is Phoenix's best perimeter defender and does play tough D, but he's not an elite defender or anything. Definitely a homer vote there.

Malik Hairston
04-21-2014, 07:36 PM
PJ Tucker is a terrible pick, I don't know how he got any votes, let alone multiple votes:lol..

He's an above average defender that had good advanced on/off metrics for his team, but nothing spectacular, tbh..in fact, Bledsoe ranks higher than him in any adjusted on/off metric..his opponent PER is average, too..

These awards really don't mean anything, as most of these voters aren't qualified to analyze the NBA..their decisions are mostly based on hype and raw numbers, tbh..

Malik Hairston
04-21-2014, 07:39 PM
IMO, a perimeter player needs to have a historic impact in a given season to get votes for DPOY..

TampaDude
04-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Noah deserves it. He's a beast. GO GATA!

ploto
04-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Bill Land gave his 2nd-place vote to Kawhi.

Why media should not vote for these awards.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-21-2014, 11:11 PM

Fans shouldn't vote for all star starters, either.

I think the best way to do player awards would be to give every NBA player one vote with one caveat: you can't vote for yourself, and you can't vote for anyone on your team. Even if, say, Noah is deserving of DPOY this still works because presumably other players on other teams should recognize his greatness and vote for him. It's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than media personnel voting.

spurraider21
04-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Noah was very deserving, and anybody thinking any spur player had a shot this year was being delusional. Duncan had a legit shot last year but they fucked up and handed it to Fat Gasol

MI21
04-22-2014, 02:29 AM

Out of all the votes placed, that was the one you chose to select as a ludicrous decision... more so than PJ Tucker? :lol Classic ploto.

mystargtr34
04-22-2014, 03:20 AM
After all these years I'm still convinced plot is a troll :lol. Someone cannot be that stupid on purpose can they?

Fireball
04-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Kawhi belongs into All-Defensive Team ... PG got into last year and Kawhi's defense is superior.

superbigtime
04-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Seriously what's with all the DeAndre Jordan votes? After winning DPOY last year, nobody loves Fat Gasol anymore. These media awards are complete junk, but at least they got it right this year. This award is one of the most commonly botched ones IMO.

Drom John
04-22-2014, 01:50 PM
DeAndre Jordan is 3rd in defensive WS, behind Noah and George. Seriously, that's what with all the DeAndre Jordan votes. Jordan is the best defensive player on any offense first team. Last year Marc Gasol was the solid #2 (behind George) yet isn't in the top 20 this year. The media was right last year and right again this year, if you add a downgrade to all individual Pacers due to total team defense, It looks like the media has adapted to advance stats nicely and are not paying attention to flashy defense as they did before last year (see Ibaka).
Kawhi Leonard belongs in the discussion for all defensive team, but I'd downgrade Leonard's excellent per minute to honorable mention by noting Leonard's lack of minutes. You gotta play to win.

Aztecfan03
04-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Out of all the votes placed, that was the one you chose to select as a ludicrous decision... more so than PJ Tucker? :lol Classic ploto.

or lebron 1st place votes. :lol

Mugen
04-22-2014, 02:21 PM
:lol Duncan behind PJ Tucker

Malik Hairston
04-22-2014, 02:28 PM
DeAndre Jordan is 3rd in defensive WS, behind Noah and George. Seriously, that's what with all the DeAndre Jordan votes. Jordan is the best defensive player on any offense first team. Last year Marc Gasol was the solid #2 (behind George) yet isn't in the top 20 this year. The media was right last year and right again this year, if you add a downgrade to all individual Pacers due to total team defense, It looks like the media has adapted to advance stats nicely and are not paying attention to flashy defense as they did before last year (see Ibaka).
Kawhi Leonard belongs in the discussion for all defensive team, but I'd downgrade Leonard's excellent per minute to honorable mention by noting Leonard's lack of minutes. You gotta play to win.

:lol Win Shares is an awful stat, tbh..of course Jordan ranks high in a box score metric, his raw numbers are great..

- His rim protection % is below average, tbh, he allowed the 5th most makes at the rim this season, and 49.5% allowed..

- His opponent PER is 20, one of the worst in the league for a big..opponent PER can be misleading due to cross-matches, but Jordan has guarded opposing Cs virtually every game..

- His RAPM and overall on/off metrics on defense were poor this year, especially for a big..

wildchild
04-22-2014, 09:11 PM

I wouldn't say "overrated" defense, I say "overall" defense. So good and versatile.

We know, some stats are awful and only tell one side of a story. Look at Tracking D/Defensive Impact stats...

But of the six non bigmen in the top 15 of DPOY, Kawhi was 2nd in defensive rating (98) and 2nd in defensive win shares (2.8). From Synergy's Overall Defensive Points Per Possession, Leonard's ranked 27th (0.75PPP) Iguodala 145th (0,85PPP).

Just another example, Leonard's ranked 10th in defending P&R ball handler.
Kawhi showed in regular season, he's able to challenge shots from behind and had the ability to go under a screen and still recover in time to contest the jumper. Underrated stat? Overrated?

He's elite rebounder, stealer, overrated stats? underrated?
Hollinger's SF stats 2013-14
#5 in rebound rate (among players who play 25+ min a game)
#3 in TS%
#1 in steal%

pgardn
04-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Noah works as hard as any player in the NBA.

I can remember when he was a pain in the rear.
One wonders what it took to focus his obvious passion to productive play.

Sean Cagney
04-23-2014, 02:21 AM
Noah works as hard as any player in the NBA.

I can remember when he was a pain in the rear.
One wonders what it took to focus his obvious passion to productive play.
Noah is a very hard worker now and so on as you said, passionate and a very solid player, I would love to have him on my team anyday with his work ethic.

Raven
04-23-2014, 03:35 AM
i find it hard to justify this trophy given how poor this team is.. Noah is one of my favourite players though..

Kamnik
04-23-2014, 04:32 AM
I watched all 82 Suns games this year and PJ Tucker is their by far the best defender. (Bledsoe goes for steals a lot which often breaks down their defense... this is not a great defence imo)
He also played extremely hard every single game - haven't seen him coasting.

He is not worthy of winning it or anything but he definitely deserved some votes out there; I don't understand the outrage about him.

exstatic
04-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Noah deserves it. He's a beast. GO GATA!

Nene, tappin' dat azz.......

superbigtime
04-23-2014, 08:57 AM

I don't give a shit. DeAndre Jordan is not the 3rd best defensive player in the league. Laughable.

Clipper Nation
04-23-2014, 11:01 AM
DJ is an extremely overrated defender, he's low IQ, punked by any big with a jump shot and doesn't protect the rim....

ploto
04-23-2014, 11:22 PM

Everyone knows I cannot stand Bill Land.