PDA

View Full Version : Pacers: Stephenson and Turner fought before game 1

Baam
04-23-2014, 07:05 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pacers-fight-each-other-on-eve-of-playoffs--finally-take-swing-at-hawks-in-game-2-062419341.html

I like Stephenson but gotta lol at that one... Nigga is a mix of Stephen Jackson and Jason Kidd tbh, still a fan tho...

Franklin
04-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Or it could be Turner who upset the team's chemistry.

Venti Quattro
04-23-2014, 09:47 AM
:lol Danny Granger probably logged in to like this article

Mel_13
04-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Some team will probably give Lance 10M/yr and will regret it long before the end of the contract. Like Jackson, he'll prove that he can't be trusted with a lucrative, guaranteed deal. Like Jackson, he'll wander from one mediocre team to another, bitching all the way.

Killakobe81
04-23-2014, 10:02 AM
LG has been calling for that cat ...
I dont get the NBA's penchant for throwing star money at non-stars.
That is why I had no sympathy for the owners in the CBA.
They are the dumbasses that overpay players.

Sybok
04-23-2014, 11:09 AM
It's ironic that people like Stephenson, Jax, Artest and JR Smith have fans who are more interested in their swagger than the fact they have low basketball IQs and do stupid shit all the time. These types have no business in the NBA. They should be playing streetball in some ghetto and selling crack in their off time.

Killakobe81
04-23-2014, 11:23 AM
It's ironic that people like Stephenson, Jax, Artest and JR Smith have fans who are more interested in their swagger than the fact they have low basketball IQs and do stupid shit all the time. These types have no business in the NBA. They should be playing streetball in some ghetto and selling crack in their off time.

You are correct. (again). But these dumb ass white GM's (mostly) think they can tame the savage. they cannot. And even if they think they can how is paying them millions over night gonna help?

Sybok
04-23-2014, 11:42 AM
You are correct. (again). But these dumb ass white GM's (mostly) think they can tame the savage. they cannot. And even if they think they can how is paying them millions over night gonna help?

The league is a superstar hunt these days. It's not just about winning games. Today a player's personality, his swagger.. mean as much as his ability and on court tendencies. Players know that stats = contracts and so they spend their season fighting for stats. No player gets a contract extension because of the team record. Hell, people like Ariza and Fisher have been released despite having a monster team record. It's about stats. People talk about triple doubles... and quite often that stat came as a concerted effort to get there, although getting close might have come in the normal flow of the game. A player knows he's close so he does shit he normally wouldn't do and that changes the game.

Dex
04-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Haven't seen such a textbook team meltdown since...well...the Lakers last year, tbh.

Killakobe81
04-23-2014, 12:10 PM
The league is a superstar hunt these days. It's not just about winning games. Today a player's personality, his swagger.. mean as much as his ability and on court tendencies. Players know that stats = contracts and so they spend their season fighting for stats. No player gets a contract extension because of the team record. Hell, people like Ariza and Fisher have been released despite having a monster team record. It's about stats. People talk about triple doubles... and quite often that stat came as a concerted effort to get there, although getting close might have come in the normal flow of the game. A player knows he's close so he does shit he normally wouldn't do and that changes the game.

Agreed. I made a post a while back how hunting for rebounds or assists in lieu of rotating on defense or passing ahead in transition so the player can get their stats is almost as bad as "chucking" for points. anytime you are hunting for a stat even assists it can lead to selfishness. Triple doubles should come natural. This is not NBA2k14.
I do not like the Spurs (outside of the big 3 and Pop) and the fanbase is full of insecure whiners (not all) but the way Pop has the team foregoing most of that type of hoopin' is remarkable. Not only did he deserve COTY but only PJ and Riles have a case over him imho and they both went upstairs. Sure RC should get some credit as well but I credit Pop for the culture, play-style and discipline his players show on teh court and off. And when they fail to comply he ships their asses out.

I wonder despite the media reporting Pop's love for Hill ...if Pop knew how limited he would turn out to be?

koriwhat
04-23-2014, 04:17 PM

post more! seriously. more bball discussions like this!

JamStone
04-23-2014, 04:31 PM
I still like Stephenson. He's one of the few players that reminds me of players back in the 80s. He's unapologetic about playing with passion. He hates to lose. He wears his emotions on his sleeves. It's not like he's a selfish player on or off the court. From what I know (I could be wrong and just not heard or read it), he doesn't complain about touches. He rebounds, creates chances for teammates, and plays defense. And, again, he hates to lose. But he is just a really emotional guy with a temperment that needs to be controlled. I don't think he's like JR Smith. He does remind me of Artest in that he seems like a ticking time bomb in some ways. But like Artest, he has value on the court and in the right situation and on the right team, he could be a huge asset to a team in terms of winning.

A player like Stephenson would have a lot more fans because of the toughness and emotion he plays with. But just like the pussification of the NBA, there has been a pussification of NBA fans. Any player that snarls on camera or pouts after being benched or being given a technical foul, all of a sudden fans of other teams think he's a trouble maker or a wackjob. No, he's passionate about winning and he shows it.

I wouldn't want my team to give him superstar money, but I'd take him on my team any day at a reasonable price.

hater
04-23-2014, 04:44 PM
disagree. You didn't see those monkey antics guys like Stephenson, Chimpbrook and Beverly do on a daily basis. In the 80s if you tried anything like that you'd get your teeth knocked off by an opposing big in the next play, if not immobilized and taken out in a stretcher.

Now of course, bigmen and known killers could do that shit and get away with it. Guys like Charles Oakley, McDaniels, etc. I other words, sure there was flaunting and monkeying back in the day but it was done at the right time and by the right niggas. Not by little weaklings after every made basket.

so in conclusion, there is showing emotion and there is being a fucking monkey like Beverly, Stephenson, and Chimpbrook.

baseline bum
04-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Can't say I'm really itching for a return to 80s ball myself. The Spurs used to have a player just like Stephenson who also got into shit with teammates. His name was Alvin Robertson, the Spurs never won shit with him, and trading him and his baggage for a professional in Terry Cummings was one of the greatest things the Spurs franchise ever did. I also like that half the league isn't on cocaine any more like in the glory days of the 80s.