PDA

View Full Version : ESPN and Express News Speculate that Tony May Miss a Game for the Birth of His Child.

BillMc
04-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Minor stuff, but ESPN and the SA Express news speculate Tony may miss a game when his child is born. It's under the fantasy entry on his player page:

"Parker's fiance is due to give birth sometime in the next few weeks, and depending on the timing of the birth, it's possible that he may miss a game at some point"

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker

Now, being there for the birth of his first child is understandable and commendable. But, as fans, we hope he doesn't miss a game in what may be the second round or WCF. As a bachelor, I'm not too up on child birth options, but I suppose they could schedule a c-section or induce birth to match an off day. But Tony and his fiance may want it to be completely natural, in which case there is a risk we may lose Tony for a game or have a tired Tony in a game the day after a late night birth.

When she does have the child, I'd love her to speak a few words to Tony ala Rocky II. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTihNTFNOcc

As far as tactics, can we win a playoff game against the Blazers or Rockets or perhaps the Clippers or Thunder, with Patty leading the show?

Sean Cagney
04-23-2014, 01:34 PM
As long as it is not a game 7 or a key game in a series cool. I would take a Tired TONY over no Tony though. I also would hope it would be on an off day or a two day break when the Spurs are not playing. I can also hope the Spurs get the Mavs out of the way and Houston and Portland go 7, that is another scenario.

TE
04-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Watching the birth of your child > playing basketball imo

BatManu20
04-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Agreed. That won't go over well on ST though.

BillMc
04-23-2014, 01:39 PM

No one's disagreeing with you, but that wasn't the question. The question was can we beat a second round or later playoff team with Patty and CJ at the helm?

TE
04-23-2014, 01:44 PM
No one's disagreeing with you, but that wasn't the question. The question was can we beat a second round or later playoff team with Patty and CJ at the helm?
If we play Portland, yeah...the Rockets, not so sure...we need everybody suited up for a series with Houston imo...

Regardless, we need Tony tbh...

dbestpro
04-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Nothing is more important than the birth of a child. My son was born when I was 46. If needed, I would surrender every game the Spurs have ever won to be there.

timtonymanu
04-23-2014, 01:53 PM

ElNono
Lots of players schedule the birth so it happens when they have a couple extra days ahead without games. I know Manu mentioned this in his column not long ago, and it's what they probably did.

The problem is that as series go deeper, games 4, 5, 6, 7 normally only have one day in-between, which makes it complicated.

The best case scenario is the Spurs finishing this series as quickly as possible and the Rockets/Blazers going the distance...

jag
He'll get to see the kid as much as he wants when the playoffs are over.

Aint nobody got time for that right now.

Captivus
04-23-2014, 01:57 PM

I think we are talking about actually being at the hospital and seeing the baby being born.

cd98
04-23-2014, 01:59 PM

Yeah, what was Parker thinking 9 months ago? Didn't he factor the playoffs into that equation?

ColinB
04-23-2014, 01:59 PM
The doctor can just put on a GoPro.

Fpoonsie
04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Eh. Nothing would be as important as seeing MY child being born, but as a fan, all I care about is the team.

Either crap it out during off hours or keep that shit plugged until postgame.

Old School 44
04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Sure the Spurs can still win a game. I'm sure you've seen it where the opponent is gearing up for a particular player and when the player misses the game the opposing team has a let down. It helps that the sub is a very capable Patty Mills. I'm still not sold on CJ getting extended minutes.

IF it's a game 7, video tape it or skype during a timeout! Maybe they can setup a delivery room in the AT&T Center. How cool of a story would that be for the kid. :)

jag
04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
I think we are talking about actually being at the hospital and seeing the baby being born.

playblair
04-23-2014, 02:10 PM
playoff cojo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>playoff mills...............

jag
04-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Set up a hospital room in a back room in the arena. Push it out at halftime. Tony gets to see the baby while also not having to miss any time.

Everyone wins. Even the baby wins, because he doesn't have to pay for a ticket.

Fpoonsie
04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Even the baby wins, because he doesn't have to pay for a ticket.

Heh.

ElNono
04-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Eh. Nothing would be as important as seeing MY child being born, but as a fan, all I care about is the team.

Either crap it out during off hours or keep that shit plugged until postgame.

:lol

SupremeGuy
04-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Watching the birth of your child > playing basketball imoBased on his last year, playing FIBA > playing NBA.

hater
04-23-2014, 02:40 PM
MVParker taking the team of Doctors on his back and delivering that baby himself. :tu

Good for him. Fuck basketball

Spur|n|Austin
04-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Yeah, what was Parker thinking 9 months ago? Didn't he factor the playoffs into that equation?

We all know Parker doesn't let the brain on that head do too much planning or thinking.

Beaverfuzz
04-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Patty Thrills beat Portland almost by himself without Kawhi, Timmy, and Tony...what's to think he can't do it again? Portland was without LMA but still.

TheyCallMePro
04-23-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm only 22 but IMO you gotta be there for the birth of your child. It's a special moment and day that you'll remember and be asked about for the rest of your life. Plus, your wife usually wants/needs you there, and you have to put family first.

Hope Patty starts if this happens.

Mel_13
04-23-2014, 03:07 PM

Agreed. That won't go over well on ST though.

DesignatedT
04-23-2014, 03:07 PM
He's not missing a game. Could make things hard on himself resting/travel wise but he wont miss a game.

lol express news.

look_at_g_shred
04-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Ur title says it all "SPECULATION"

SpurPadre
04-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Family first...but why can't fucking Bonner be the one to miss a game for the birth of HIS child?!

Mel_13
04-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Family first...but why can't fucking Bonner be the one to miss a game for the birth of HIS child?!

You're gonna get an ulcer if you don't let go of that Bonner hate. At least a little bit.

SpurPadre
04-23-2014, 03:46 PM

You're gonna get an ulcer if you don't let go of that Bonner hate. At least a little bit.

LOL, too late for that and I blame him, tbh.

bklynspursfan
04-23-2014, 03:48 PM
I was thinking about this, I remember him announcing she was pregnant early on. We shall see. That's more important than basketball. It could workout like Manu's did.

Chomag
04-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Hard to say, in the playoffs where everything and every moment can matter even if Parker stays out 1 game it could be that 1 game the Spurs needed. HOWEVER after saying that I wouldnt blame him at all if he did I know I would do the same and wouldn't hold it against him, but man it would sure hurt if that's what the Spurs needed.

Jayem
04-23-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm only 22 but IMO you gotta be there for the birth of your child. It's a special moment and day that you'll remember and be asked about for the rest of your life. Plus, your wife usually wants/needs you there, and you have to put family first.

Hope Patty starts if this happens.did you care who was there when you were born? i'd rather my father go and try winning a championship. i'd be pissed pissed at my dad if i found out we lost a title because he chose to come to my birth.

tony doesnt need to be there, he isnt a doctor. he's needed on the court, not a delivery room

Mugen
04-23-2014, 03:59 PM
He should just send Cory in his place tbh.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Minor stuff, but ESPN and the SA Express news speculate Tony may miss a game when his child is born. It's under the fantasy entry on his player page:

"Parker's fiance is due to give birth sometime in the next few weeks, and depending on the timing of the birth, it's possible that he may miss a game at some point"

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker

Now, being there for the birth of his first child is understandable and commendable. But, as fans, we hope he doesn't miss a game in what may be the second round or WCF. As a bachelor, I'm not too up on child birth options, but I suppose they could schedule a c-section or induce birth to match an off day. But Tony and his fiance may want it to be completely natural, in which case there is a risk we may lose Tony for a game or have a tired Tony in a game the day after a late night birth.

When she does have the child, I'd love her to speak a few words to Tony ala Rocky II. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTihNTFNOcc

As far as tactics, can we win a playoff game against the Blazers or Rockets or perhaps the Clippers or Thunder, with Patty leading the show?

Yeah that's absolutely not how things work. That's totally unethical.

cjw
04-23-2014, 04:44 PM
I doubt this current series gets back to Dallas for game 6, and I think the Spurs would survive the Mavs without Parker anyway. So as long as the baby is born in the next two weeks, they should be okay. Team also wouldn't be traveling for at least the first ~4 days of the second round, so would be local and not too far away should the opponent be Houston.

I wouldn't worry too much here.

BillMc
04-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Yeah that's absolutely not how things work. That's totally unethical.

I don't know. My sister and her husband scheduled a day to have their child born in consultation with doctors, weeks ahead of time. So, not sure what is "unethical" about making sure it doesn't conflict with Tony's work schedule as long as there is no risk or effect on the child, of course.

weeks
04-23-2014, 04:55 PM
yeah my wife got induced when our firstborn was overdue, it's not that big a deal IMO.
now, going for a c-section...i dunno about all that

DPG21920
04-23-2014, 04:57 PM
There is no way he should miss a playoff game for this. If it was the regular season, absolutely no problem (especially if it was not a huge regular season game with big ramifications). But he doesn't have a normal job. The playoffs are serious business and while being able to attend the birth of your child is very important, he's paid an exhorbinant amount of money to offset that type of stuff and many are relying on him.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-23-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't know. My sister and her husband scheduled a day to have their child born in consultation with doctors, weeks ahead of time. So, not sure what is "unethical" about making sure it doesn't conflict with Tony's work schedule as long as there is no risk or effect on the child, of course.

There has to be a legitimate, medical reason for a C-section or an induced vaginal birth to be indicated. "Tony Parker has a basketball game and fans don't want to be disappointed if he misses a game" is not a legitimate reason.

jARS mEsH sEt
04-23-2014, 04:58 PM
"My wife and/or the baby's health will be adversely affected unless this procedure is performed" is a legitimate reason.

HemisfairArena
04-23-2014, 05:12 PM
If he misses a game and we lose the series the servers will crash here. Haters will come crawling out of every crevice known to man.

Kool Bob Love
04-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Typical Parker. :rolleyes

baseline bum
04-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Fuck that shit, unless the baby is gonna pay him $12.5 million his ass needs to be out there on the court for the last chance at a title this team will have for a LOOONG time.

Mugen
04-23-2014, 05:23 PM
He's not the first athlete to have a major family event occur during the playoffs. But I can't remember the last time an athlete of his stature missed a playoff game for a child's birth tbh.

I get the whole family first thing but I'd be pretty disappointed if TP missed a game for this.

wildcardX
04-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Just send Ayres and Bonner to the hospital. Bonner can tweet about it and Ayres can video tape it. Problem solved!...........Actually have Bonner video tape it, Ayres may drop the camera.

Oh and send Cojo as well, someone needs to catch Bonner with the wheelchair when he faints. It certainly won't be Ayres.

tmtcsc
04-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Not gonna happen, he won't miss a playoff game.

Darius McCrary
04-23-2014, 06:25 PM
playoff cojo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>playoff mills...............
This, until proven otherwise

dbreiden83080
04-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Ted Williams was fishing when his kids were born..

hsxvvd
04-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Seems like both Manu and Tony weren't expecting a long playoff run. It's 9 months guys, give or take a week or two, not hard to plan around.

But that said, Birth of a child > Championship.

hsxvvd
04-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Top 10 Athletes who are deadbeat dads

http://www.totalprosports.com/2009/03/26/top-10-athletes-who-are-deadbeat-dads/

Chris Bosh makes the list.

Perhaps why Karl Malone never won a title.

td4mvp2k
04-23-2014, 07:24 PM
The question was can we beat a second round or later playoff team with Patty and CJ at the helm?

:lol not like they could of beat a later playoff team wit him anywayz tbh

EVAY
04-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Lots of players schedule the birth so it happens when they have a couple extra days ahead without games. I know Manu mentioned this in his column not long ago, and it's what they probably did.

The problem is that as series go deeper, games 4, 5, 6, 7 normally only have one day in-between, which makes it complicated.

The best case scenario is the Spurs finishing this series as quickly as possible and the Rockets/Blazers going the distance...

Since Manu's wife was having a C section it was predictable and able to be scheduled around a series.

If this is Tony's wife's first baby, one would never assume a C section unless it is medically necessary. A normal birth is always preferred.

If the due date is over two weeks gone and the baby is still not born, they might induce labor, but again, these are medical decisions, not fucking basketball scheduling decisions.

Seriously…the Manu > Tony thing can really be taken too far, tbh.

ploto
04-23-2014, 11:05 PM
I was thinking about this, I remember him announcing she was pregnant early on. We shall see. That's more important than basketball. It could workout like Manu's did.
I am willing to bet they scheduled it on Monday morning so she would have the baby when the Spurs were home with 2 days with no game.

ploto
04-23-2014, 11:13 PM
There has to be a legitimate, medical reason for a C-section or an induced vaginal birth to be indicated. "Tony Parker has a basketball game and fans don't want to be disappointed if he misses a game" is not a legitimate reason.

Women have births induced all the time, even before the due date. There are plenty of scheduled inductions.

As for me, if it were my husband, I would tell him to go play.

T Park
04-24-2014, 12:06 AM
There is no way he should miss a playoff game for this. If it was the regular season, absolutely no problem (especially if it was not a huge regular season game with big ramifications). But he doesn't have a normal job. The playoffs are serious business and while being able to attend the birth of your child is very important, he's paid an exhorbinant amount of money to offset that type of stuff and many are relying on him.

It's a freaking game. It's his first child.

Get some freaking perspective.

dallasmaverickslose
04-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Enrique Porker Parker?

rwb
04-24-2014, 07:38 AM
To be honest, the Spurs were playing pretty darn well when Parker was out earlier. Since he's come back it's like no one knows how to work together any more. It's like I'm watching a totally different team since he came back. I know we need him, but I would be completely fine with him taking a day off.

z0sa
04-24-2014, 09:16 AM
i never judged a man for showing his national pride on his own time, no matter what what implications his work history may or may not have shown. And I never judged a man for taking time for his family at a time when the rest of his team could pick up the slack; shit, even the President finds time to dick his wife and tuck his daughters into bed.

But that Belgian born French fried fuck aint the fucking president. In fact RC, Pop and AD are the only three reasons your ass ever made it past being more than a punkass quasi french faggot nobody Shit, Tim Duncan didnt even acknowledge your existence off the court for a year.

You better not only play every game... your teammates, your coach, your organization and your fans demand you play the best goddamn month of your lifetime. Forget about your fuckin family, your teammates wives, the freefalling value of your "investment" in your idiot brothers "upscale" club, your golf stroke, Game 6, your last miss, the crowd, fear, pain...

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN and thats it and thats all until the bubblys flowin in the locker room. Merci beaucoup trou du cul.

resistanze
04-24-2014, 09:42 AM
:lol Tony Parker doens't give a shit what people on an internet forum are saying. While he'll probably schedule the birth on an off day, it won't be to avoid upsetting people.

tlongII
04-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Times have certainly changed. Back in the 60's the father would just drop the mother off at the hospital and then go to work.

superjames1992
04-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Let's not pretend that Tony hasn't had children before. :lol

bklynspursfan
04-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Let's hope he plays a little better now.