PDA

View Full Version : The Smarter Kid in School

Manu20
08-08-2005, 05:18 PM
The Smarter Kid in School
Adam Epstein - 8th August, 2005 11:56 AM

http://spurs.realgm.com/articles/42/20050808/the_smarter_kid_in_school/

The San Antonio Spurs followed their storybook championship run, with some off-season moves that surprised just about everyone in the NBA world. As the NBA Draft approached, many assumed that the Spurs were going to pick a European player that they could keep in Europe and eventually develop that player into a star, similar to what they did with Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, and Beno Udrich.

In the NBA draft, there is basically a 25% chance that a European player will eventually pan out to be quality NBA player. Even teams drafting in the lottery cannot seem to grasp picking European players, shown by picks like Darko and the infamous “Skeeta”. So then how in the world does a team that consistently drafts at the end of the first round always seem to draft diamond in the rough European players that aid them in their championship run? It seems that the Spurs success rate for picking these players is on a completely different class than any other team in the NBA. Its almost as though they have a Back to the Future type of Sports Almanac, in which they can dictate the future of the NBA draft. Is there something Popovich isn’t telling us? Based on the Spurs moves this off-season, the answer to that question would be a triumphant “yes”.

The Spurs certainly made people believe that they knew more than anyone in the NBA Draft, when they surprised by picking the ,”who the heck is that guy” player of the 2005 draft in the Frenchman Ian Mahinmi. Not only did no one expect him to be selected in the first round, or second round for that matter, most GM’s had never even head of him. In fact, of the 300 player profiles created by the NBA, none of them were of Ian Mahinmi. Yet, when this large, lanky, Frenchman came up to gave the commish the celebratory handshake, analysts automatically assumed that the Spurs had picked another winner. The next day when analysts were giving draft grades, the Spurs clearly received a very solid grade. This grade was solely based on their reputation alone. The Spurs could have picked a thirteen year old Swedish boy with cornrows, and NBA people would have all assumed he’d be a great NBA player. Their draft pick was shortly followed by what many perceived to be an excellent move in free agency.

Coming into the free agent period, the Spurs were expected to come to a contract agreement with Luis Scola. Scola, for those who don’t know, was another European second round draft pick, and is now regarded as the best big man in Europe. However, talks about buying out Scola’s contract came to a dramatic halt when the team found out that bringing him over would be too expensive. Somehow, the team then pulled a complete 180 and signed the starting centre of the Gold Medal Winning Argentinean National team, Frabicio Oberto.

Immediately one must wonder what every other NBA team was thinking by not pursuing this big man. Not only did the Spurs acquire the 6’10’’ Argentinean at a fraction of the price that they would have had to pay for Scola, but, some NBA experts suggest that Oberto may even end up being a better NBA player than Scola. At this stage in the game, if I’m any other NBA I’m tapping the phones in the Spurs front office, sifting through Greg Popovich’s garbage, or trying to find someway to see what is next to come out of this think tank of an organization. The signing of Oberto, as well as the re-signing of Big Shot Rob Horry left many to believe that the Spurs only strengthened their championship winning team from last year.

It’s very intriguing and quite mysterious how the Spurs are able to consistently make their front office appear smarter than every other one in the NBA. They’re clearly the favourite to win the NBA championship again this coming season. There is simply no reason not to believe that, with their great depth and the fact that their nucleus is only getting better with age, rather than most contending teams. No one really knows if Oberto, Mahinmi, or Scola will be successful complimentary players to the NBA championship team. But, they certainly are doing a good job at making us believe that they’re going to be very good NBA players.

Kip Fanatic
08-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Great article. The Spurs are awesome. Period. Pop and the front office work hard. That's it. It comes down to hard work.

ObiwanGinobili
08-08-2005, 05:34 PM
It’s very intriguing and quite mysterious how the Spurs are able to consistently make their front office appear smarter than every other one in the NBA. They’re clearly the favourite to win the NBA championship again this coming season. There is simply no reason not to believe that, with their great depth and the fact that their nucleus is only getting better with age, rather than most contending teams.

I'm gonna go with this guys original theory:

Its almost as though they have a Back to the Future type of Sports Almanac, in which they can dictate the future of the NBA draft.

:lmao :lmao
Great article!
and I love how the author got it right and said bog shot ROB and not bob! :tu

wildbill2u
08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm gonna go with this guys original theory:

:lmao :lmao
Great article!
and I love how the author got it right and said bog shot ROB and not bob! :tu

This guys says that everyone else just automatically assumes the Spurs know foreign players better than any other team--and then falls right into the same trap by saying the pick of Ian Whatsisname is almost bound to work out simply because the Spurs picked him. :lol

ShoogarBear
08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
This guys says that everyone else just automatically assumes the Spurs know foreign players better than any other team--and then falls right into the same trap by saying the pick of Ian Whatsisname is almost bound to work out simply because the Spurs picked him. :lol
Of course, that's the same thing everybody around here did, too.

He's right. The Spurs could have picked the Norwegian Sequ and everyone would have talked about how crafty they were.

smeagol
08-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Great article. The Spurs are awesome. Period. Pop and the front office work hard. That's it. It comes down to hard work.
Is that you Sequ posting again under your alter ego handle?

Taking it to the Hole
08-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Hey, I know that Ian Mahinni may only be like 6' 10" tall, but I have a feeling he might grow a little more. He is only 19 right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bulk up more and perhaps grow another two inches. I think the guy is going to be a beast overseas. He has all the tools to be great, he just needs time to develop them. The Spurs have been smarter than any other team in drafting European players, but it is because they made a conscious effort to find fundamentally sound basketball players to bring into their system and quite franky they are non-existent in American players. They had to do it, because they were not going to find that talent here in the states and now over the last couple of years they have stockpiled talent and have more flexibility to do trades or sign free agents. They just simply do their homework and they strive for perfection. Props to Pop, RC, Peter Holt, and all the FO people. They are simply the best FO in the league! :tu

ObiwanGinobili
08-09-2005, 08:07 AM

exactly.
It's like the Spurs have every other teams management "in check". we can play them sooo hard because they look at our recruitment style like we are GOD. If the Spurs org. is planning on going left all we have to do is edge right and the rest of the nba goes running right.. then we go left. :lol

just like we didi with Ian Mahini<sp?> NO one saw that coming, but did you notice all the other teams drafting the guys we were supposedly "extremly interested in"?? Teams that normaly don't draft foriegn?

:lmao
god it's hilarious

SWC Bonfire
08-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey, I know that Ian Mahinni may only be like 6' 10" tall, but I have a feeling he might grow a little more. He is only 19 right now and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bulk up more and perhaps grow another two inches.

That thought came to mind when I saw him on draft day. This guy is just a kid, he could get bigger.

We need to send that boy some barbeque and mexican food ASAP.