PDA

View Full Version : What does Pop say to Kawhi after tonight?

Darius McCrary
04-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Kawhi is honestly the only aspect of this game that angers me (tbh..)

Not only did he make a bonehead 2nd foul to take himself out of the game, he played like a passive punk for most of the game. Then he tried to be aggressive when it didn't even matter.

Kawhi is the single player on this team that should be a matchup nightmare for the Mavericks.

I thought it was kinda weird for him to guard Ellis, but after the last regular season game, there's no doubt in my mind he can do it.
He (along with the entire team, really) were out of position and closing out too closely seemingly ever play.

If you're Pop, what do you say to Kawhi to get him to go into Beast Finals Mode?

Mikeanaro
04-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Kid you were great that ring is coming WITH YOUR 6 POINTS YOU ARE A SCRUB! GTFO!

Darius McCrary
04-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Kawhi's game grade is seriously an F-

He may have set his career back 2 years with that crap.

Kabals
04-23-2014, 11:29 PM
He is someone who plays better when in the shadow. He has been put in the spotlight recently and still has to learn to play under defensive pressure.

Last year in the final in 6&7 Miami didn't really try to stop him, just like Spurs let Harrison Barnes kill them, Miami choose to shut down Parker/Green/Manu instead. The mavs are defending every Spurs player with respect, don't expect him to go big on the Mavs like he did against Miami.

Malik Hairston
04-23-2014, 11:32 PM
He is someone who plays better when in the shadow. He has been put in the spotlight recently and still has to learn to play under defensive pressure.

Last year in the final in 6&7 Miami didn't really try to stop him, just like Spurs let Harrison Barnes kill them, Miami choose to shut down Parker/Green/Manu instead. The mavs are defending every Spurs player with respect, don't expect him to go big on the Mavs like he did against Miami.

The Mavs haven't made any adjustments against Leonard, the only Spurs player they've thoroughly strategized against has been Parker..

ElNono
04-23-2014, 11:32 PM
:pop: "I want some nasty"

TheGoldStandard
04-23-2014, 11:34 PM
The Mavs haven't made any adjustments against Leonard, the only Spurs player they've thoroughly strategized against has been Parker..

That's all it takes to throw everything into disarray. Spurs are very 1 dimensional

Malik Hairston
04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
That's all it takes to throw everything into disarray. Spurs are very 1 dimensional

I agree, I was just arguing against that poster's point..

dallasmaverickslose
04-23-2014, 11:36 PM
:stupid:

spurraider21
04-23-2014, 11:38 PM
the spurs can't be scared to go inside out... i don't care how old duncan is tbh

dallasmaverickslose
04-23-2014, 11:42 PM
the spurs can't be scared to go inside out... i don't care how old duncan is tbh

It sure would help if a big other than Timmy would show up, tbh.

TheGoldStandard
04-23-2014, 11:42 PM

First they would have to get bigs

spurraider21
04-23-2014, 11:43 PM
it sure would help if timmy showed up

dallasmaverickslose
04-23-2014, 11:44 PM
First they would have to get bigs
Looking towards the future, I sure hope we draft a PF in this years draft.

dallasmaverickslose
04-23-2014, 11:44 PM
it sure would help if timmy showed up

Timmy showed up Sundy.

TheGoldStandard
04-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Looking towards the future, I sure hope we draft a PF in this years draft.

They'd end up drafting some guy who has the upside of Ayres.

spurraider21
Timmy showed up Sundy.
and we won sunday. he didn't show up today, and we got killed. shocking discrepancy

wildchild
Pop won't say nothing, just let Boylen do the job..."Ka-what? Who's?"

It means Monta Ellis?...

TheGoldStandard
04-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Pop won't say nothing, just let Boylen do the job..."Ka-what? Who's?"

It means Monta Ellis?...

Kawhi fears Monta, kept picking up his dribble way too soon.

dallasmaverickslose
04-23-2014, 11:47 PM
and we won sunday. he didn't show up today, and we got killed. shocking discrepancy

Perhaps there's a shocking correlation in the fact that Parker didn't suck Sundy and we won. Would be nice if the big 3 could get a little help from the others for once.

Sybok
04-23-2014, 11:48 PM
He's not sure whether to attack or pass the ball. You can see he doesn't decide that until he's already into the teeth of the defense. He's being told he's an offensive threat and needs to act like it, but then he's indoctrinated with the "system" and "big 3" talk and there could be a timing issue, not knowing when to do what. That's on Pop. That's what happens when you don't run a play for the guy in 2 years then suddenly expect him to deliver. He'll bounce back, everyone has a bad night, but the bigger picture with him is where is place is in the offense. He needs to go out there and fail a few times to understand his limitations and give him things to work on. He's been given tons of accolades and boosted past his ability to justify it, but he's got potential and I think he'll get there.

spurraider21
04-23-2014, 11:48 PM
hopefully parker's wife gives birth during game 3 :lol

dallasmaverickslose
04-23-2014, 11:49 PM
hopefully parker's wife gives birth during game 3 :lol

Are they expecting a boy? Please name him Enrique.

TheGoldStandard
04-23-2014, 11:50 PM
Perhaps there's a shocking correlation in the fact that Parker didn't suck Sundy and we won. Would be nice if the big 3 could get a little help from the others for once.

Yup, Carlisle did a little thing called making an adjustment.. Marion on Parker while packing the paint while our two bigs can't step out and hit crud consistently is our undoing. They switch Marion onto Parker when the pick is set and they dig into the paint.. = we're fucked, no penetration and no kick.

Pop needs to stop sipping wine and look into making an adjustment to attack the switch.

dallasmaverickslose
04-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Yup, Carlisle did a little thing called making an adjustment.. Marion on Parker while packing the paint while our two bigs can't step out and hit crud consistently is our undoing. They switch Marion onto Parker when the pick is set and they dig into the paint.. = we're fucked, no penetration and no kick.

Pop needs to stop sipping wine and look into making an adjustment to attack the switch.

Seems like bigger defenders have their way with Enrique Porker.

TheGoldStandard
04-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Seems like bigger defenders have their way with Enrique Porker.

They're only a problem if they have defense lurking behind them or if there is poor spacing.. We had better spacing in game 1 because they were switching Dalembert. If you think about it, Dalembert can sag off Tiago because he's offensively challenged leaving a second guy to bracket parker once he gets into the lane and with length they can play the passing lanes.. Plus everyone else is staying at home, no collapsing. It's going to take coaching to get the ball moving, double picks, trying to run others off screens, exploiting the mismatch when they make the switch by having another ball handler trigger the switch.

superjames1992
04-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Has Duncan even made a mid-range J this series, tbh?

SpurPadre
04-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Maid Marion took Kawhi to school tonight, tbh.

Darius McCrary
04-24-2014, 12:01 AM
:pop: "I want some nasty"
The goods :tu

The answer was so simple.

TheGoldStandard
04-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Can we drag the corpse of McDyess out of retirement.. He was automatic from 16

Spurs21Fan4Ever
04-24-2014, 12:07 AM
Kawhi had a bad night, he's just trying too hard. Hopefully tonight was a wake up call and this team goes back to playing basketball the way they did when they were winning a bunch. I want to say this game reminds me of game 2 against Golden State last year, but that was a pretty bad performance.

UZER
04-24-2014, 12:18 AM
They'd end up drafting some guy who has the upside of Ayres.

They'll draft and stash him in Europe for 5 years, and he'll never come over.

He's not sure whether to attack or pass the ball. You can see he doesn't decide that until he's already into the teeth of the defense. He's being told he's an offensive threat and needs to act like it, but then he's indoctrinated with the "system" and "big 3" talk and there could be a timing issue, not knowing when to do what. That's on Pop. That's what happens when you don't run a play for the guy in 2 years then suddenly expect him to deliver. He'll bounce back, everyone has a bad night, but the bigger picture with him is where is place is in the offense. He needs to go out there and fail a few times to understand his limitations and give him things to work on. He's been given tons of accolades and boosted past his ability to justify it, but he's got potential and I think he'll get there.

At the beginning of the season, he was doing exactly what you mentioned. Getting hurt was the best thing that happened to him.

When he came back from injury, the pressure was off so he eased his way back into the flow of the games and was really an all around threat, scoring, defense, etc.

He's back to square one now that the playoffs have started.

Lerojo
04-24-2014, 12:55 AM
Man the fuck up!

Now go into beast mode next match and demolish them!

Wildcat67
04-24-2014, 07:15 AM
It has nothing to do with Kawhi, it has to do with the team losing it's identity the second the playoffs started. Instead of being the team that spread the ball around, it has been purely the Parker probing and shooting jumpers, Timmy in the post, and Manu in the pick and roll either shooting floaters, 3s, or a crazy pass. All the other people have been eliminated.

First game Kawhi got calls in the post and they were double teaming him. He didn't get one post opportunity this game.

servalli
04-24-2014, 07:16 AM
Good job, good effort. :pop:

z0sa
04-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Knowing Pop, I doubt be says little more than whatever sharp words he has for the team during film session. Whatever he does exchange with him in private will almost certainly involve his mentality on defense - staying calm, working the refs, and not forcing the issue. Pop knows Kawhi does not have the experience, clout or ego to call his own number over the Big 3's. Hes looking to score easy buckets, and get the enemy defense moving out of double teams in the post. Kawhi buys into the system and defers willingly to his teammates. This is why hes suddenly out of his comfort zone - Dallas wants to pack the paint and will dare him and anyone else to shoot it themselves more often than not.

Pop needs to make the rounds with the rest of the Big 4. They need to be ready to push the ball and get the roleplayers involved in transition. In the halfcourt, abuse the mismatch as often as possible.

DarrinS
04-24-2014, 08:32 AM
It has to be frustrating for Kawhi. They need to get him involved EARLY in the game.

There was a fast break last night where it was Tony and Kawhi against only Devin Harris. Did Tony give up the ball to Kawhi? Nope. Instead, Tony committed an offensive foul.