PDA

View Full Version : I see Duncan passing the torch to Aldridge this year when Spurs loses to the Blazers

hitmantb
04-24-2014, 12:48 AM
That is if they get pass the MAV's which is not guaranteed.

Depth means very little in the post season, Pop's minute management and brilliant system masked this team's flaw in the regular season, but too many things can go wrong if you need more than 2 players to carry the team at critical times. Last year Danny Green was an act of god honestly, without him playing like Reggie Miller reincarnated, Spurs would have lost in 5.

I have to say Barkley is absolutely right, the 20/10 Duncan we know and love can show up in stretches, but he can not do it consistently anymore. Parker is too tired from the national's. Manu can explode for one game every now and then. Everyone else just role players. Kwahi is a super duper role player, but can not be relied on to take over the game yet, I really wish Pop gave him more alpha dog status earlier in the season so he would have the mentality, but he is at least year away and the GDP core is simply inferior to the core of elite teams. In post season unless we get another Green type of historical performance from role players we can not go deep.

Aldridge reminds me so much of a young Duncan with more mid-range jumpers, less post-up's. If the Spurs window has closed, I hope Alridge closes it and carries the torch forward. I honestly don't see Blazers bench and role players worse than the Spurs. Aldridge feels like young Duncan and Liliard feels so much like young Parker, they feel like the Spurs re-incarnated and has a chance for a title if they get a couple more pieces.

Griffin = Amare
Alridge = Duncan

Duncan when he was a rookie took a lot more medium range jumpers, the bank shot is very similar in purpose as Alridge fade away.

Sean Cagney
04-24-2014, 12:54 AM
FUNNY we need to win three more to get to the Blazers first..... The Blazers win to win 2 more first, why don't you wait until we get there?

I am a huge Aldridge fan as well, he is classy and a very good player! But why even say when they lose when neither team is there yet?

Malik Hairston
04-24-2014, 01:12 AM
Aldridge is nothing like Duncan in any way, tbh:lol, and Portland has no chance at a title..

Duncan was a post legend that played top 5-10 defense in NBA history, Aldridge is a jump shooter that plays average defense, at best..

Sean Cagney
04-24-2014, 01:15 AM
Aldridge is nothing like Duncan in any way, tbh:lol, and Portland has no chance at a title..

Duncan was a post legend that played top 5-10 defense in NBA history, Aldridge is a jump shooter that plays average defense, at best..

Yes, they are nothing alike IMO. Their game does not mirror one another at all. I like LA but they are not even close as players, completely different.

BatManu20
04-24-2014, 01:21 AM
I like Aldridge, but :lol

Mark in Austin
04-24-2014, 04:04 AM
:lol Aldridge is Amare w/ a jumper.

dg7md
04-24-2014, 05:33 AM
OP has a point mixed in there with a weird message about Duncan, if we do beat the Mavs and the Blazers beat the Rockets, how are we going to contain Alridge? Dude is beasting through Houston's bigs, which are better than ours.

szkorhetz
04-24-2014, 06:57 AM
We won't beat the Mavs, IMHO. They really want it, they believe, and we are just coasting, thinking that the number one seed should mean instant wins until the WCF.
I am starting to believe we peaked to early.

raybies
04-24-2014, 07:59 AM
if aldridge and lillard play like they are playing against Houston, make no doubt about it, they have a shot at winning it all. they have two stars, one being in his prime, and a great supporting cast. I get their defense is not elite and their bench is not strong but if they can finish off teams fast then they can recharge with rest and be ready for the next series with big minutes for their starters. we need that series to go long so it wears on them.

also I like that Dallas beat us. some adversity early is good for us. it gives us a wake up call and gets us on the same page and focused. it took some adversity from golden state last year to elevate our play and the win propelled us to the finals.

jag
04-24-2014, 08:00 AM

I'm not sure how Aldridge is anything like Amare (when Amare was Amare). Even if we're talking about Amare right now, Aldridge has more body size and overall length than Amare. He's also a much smarter player. Amare is borderline retarded. He has no idea where to be on the court if the ball isn't in his hands.

Also, pre-injury Amare was a top 5 athlete in the league. His entire game, which was limited to the paint, was predicated on his athleticism. He would recklessly attack the basket. After a few years with the Suns he developed a decent midrange jumper, but that was never what made him a star. Aldridge rarely attacks the rim like that. His game has always been outside-in. Basically the opposite of prime Amare.

Beaverfuzz
04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Aldridge can hit that outside jump shot with confidence and ease, bringing the defense out on him (or like Houston did, let him continue to shoot and he buried them). He's always been a tough matchup for the Spurs.

hitmantb
04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Griffin = Amare
Alridge = Duncan

Duncan when he was a rookie took a lot more medium range jumpers, the bank shot is very similar in purpose as Alridge fade away.

daslicer
04-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Very stupid thread. Aldridge is not Duncan skill wise he doesn't have the post up game and great footwork Duncan has. He is also not a great defensive player like Duncan was in his prime. Aldridge is more like a black Dirk without the great 3 point shooting along with being a better rebounder and defender.

james evans
05-11-2014, 06:26 AM

Depth means very little in the post season, Pop's minute management and brilliant system masked this team's flaw in the regular season, but too many things can go wrong if you need more than 2 players to carry the team at critical times. Last year Danny Green was an act of god honestly, without him playing like Reggie Miller reincarnated, Spurs would have lost in 5.

I have to say Barkley is absolutely right, the 20/10 Duncan we know and love can show up in stretches, but he can not do it consistently anymore. Parker is too tired from the national's. Manu can explode for one game every now and then. Everyone else just role players. Kwahi is a super duper role player, but can not be relied on to take over the game yet, I really wish Pop gave him more alpha dog status earlier in the season so he would have the mentality, but he is at least year away and the GDP core is simply inferior to the core of elite teams. In post season unless we get another Green type of historical performance from role players we can not go deep.

Aldridge reminds me so much of a young Duncan with more mid-range jumpers, less post-up's. If the Spurs window has closed, I hope Alridge closes it and carries the torch forward. I honestly don't see Blazers bench and role players worse than the Spurs. Aldridge feels like young Duncan and Liliard feels so much like young Parker, they feel like the Spurs re-incarnated and has a chance for a title if they get a couple more pieces.

Griffin = Amare
Alridge = Duncan

OP has a point mixed in there with a weird message about Duncan, if we do beat the Mavs and the Blazers beat the Rockets, how are we going to contain Alridge? Dude is beasting through Houston's bigs, which are better than ours.

We won't beat the Mavs, IMHO. They really want it, they believe, and we are just coasting, thinking that the number one seed should mean instant wins until the WCF.
I am starting to believe we peaked to early.
:lol

dg7md
05-11-2014, 06:29 AM

I admit, it is a shit take now that we've seen what happens when Splitter is on him. :lol

Aldridge is certainly still a great player, but he's being too soft this series for him to be the difference maker.

dbreiden83080
05-11-2014, 10:23 AM
This is just another big man that can score that people have proceeded to overrate. I think honestly some people have forgotten just how great Tim Duncan actually was in his prime. I remember in game 1 of the 2003 finals he had 32pts, 20 rebounds and 7 blocks. At one point he blocked a shot, grabbed the ball out of the air and throw a full court pass to I think Stephen Jackson for a dunk. Tim could literally control the game on both ends in his prime. Some good big men have come along since 2003 but none of them have been anywhere close to Tim..

Leetonidas
05-11-2014, 11:25 AM
"depth means nothing in the playoffs"

dumbass :lmao

DPG21920
05-11-2014, 11:41 AM
OMG - people continue to underrate Tim's impact. Someone told me that Andre Drummond was as good as Tim and you can build a team around him like the Spurs have Tim.

I hope the Spurs don't get LA. He's not some ultra young dude either. He's been in the league for 7 years. He's about to turn 29.

Chinook
05-11-2014, 11:58 AM
OMG - people continue to underrate Tim's impact. Someone told me that Andre Drummond was as good as Tim and you can build a team around him like the Spurs have Tim.

I hope the Spurs don't get LA. He's not some ultra young dude either. He's been in the league for 7 years. He's about to turn 29.

Nah, I still would love Aldridge on the Spurs in 2015. You think he had a good season this year? He'd be even better with Splitter next to him. His age doesn't bother me either, as he'd be fine to ride out the last years of Parker and Splitter. Then, the Spurs would blow it up in time for Leonard's third contract.

dbreiden83080
05-11-2014, 11:59 AM

It's amazing how people can look at the stat sheet and see 25 and 10 and think "Hey Franchise player" And Tim was more than a franchise player he was and is a once in a lifetime player..

DPG21920
05-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Nah, I still would love Aldridge on the Spurs in 2015. You think he had a good season this year? He'd be even better with Splitter next to him. His age doesn't bother me either, as he'd be fine to ride out the last years of Parker and Splitter. Then, the Spurs would blow it up in time for Leonard's third contract.

I am not an Aldridge fan tbh..

Capster
05-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Can't waste any time on this ridiculous thread!

LarryDavid
05-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Aldridge feels like young Duncan

You realize LMA is going to be 29 when next season starts right?

Chinook
05-11-2014, 12:43 PM

I gathered as much. I consider him to be a great first option, though, and he's better defensively than Love.

Malik Hairston
05-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I gathered as much. I consider him to be a great first option, though, and he's better defensively than Love.

I wouldn't mind Aldridge, either, although I'm not a fan of his..his style of play will translate well with age, too, especially since he has said that he will begin working on a 3-point shot this Summer..

However, comparing him to prime Duncan is stupid on every level, tbh:lol..

I also hate when "analysts" and fans compare current Duncan to prime Duncan based on per-36 numbers, etc..Duncan in his prime was one of the most complete players of all-time, including being able to step out and defend the perimeter on switches, unlike current, 38-year old Duncan, which people seem to ignore:lol..

xmas1997
05-11-2014, 12:59 PM

Griffin = Amare
Alridge = Duncan

I like Aldridge, but you did say "this year" right?
So what happened then?
Or was this supposed to happen in some alternate universe?
Still waiting tbqh.

DPG21920
05-11-2014, 12:59 PM
He's just incredibly hard to win with. On offense, he would be fine although what you get from his spacing and ability to hit that 18 foot shot more consistently than Tim you give back in worse screens, passing and low post play when needed. He would fit overall fine though although I don't think it would be a net gain overall IMO.

Then on defense, despite Tim not being as great in PnR/Perimeter anymore, you get a pretty big fall off. Team would be a a playoff team no doubt and a good one, but I just don't like guys like Aldridge overall despite being a really good player.

DPG21920
05-11-2014, 01:00 PM
I like Aldridge, but you did say "this year" right?
So what happened then?
Or was this supposed to happen in some alternate universe?
Still waiting tbqh.

All you do is try and call out other posters for the takes they were wrong and you have literally never had a meaningful basketball take that I have seen. You just troll and cry and have a picture of a cat in your avatar.

xmas1997
05-11-2014, 01:05 PM
All you do is try and call out other posters for the takes they were wrong and you have literally never had a meaningful basketball take that I have seen. You just troll and cry and have a picture of a cat in your avatar.

And your takes are better?
Ever heard of the word hypocrisy?
Apparently not.

DPG21920
05-11-2014, 01:06 PM
And your takes are better?
Ever heard of the word hypocrisy?
Apparently not.

Here's a deal. You make a poll and ask ST who's takes are better (make it public). If you win, I will leave forever. If I win, you leave forever. You say you want to clean up trolls and what you consider to be bad posters. Here's your chance.

Rebounds
05-11-2014, 01:07 PM
This is just another big man that can score that people have proceeded to overrate. I think honestly some people have forgotten just how great Tim Duncan actually was in his prime. I remember in game 1 of the 2003 finals he had 32pts, 20 rebounds and 7 blocks. At one point he blocked a shot, grabbed the ball out of the air and throw a full court pass to I think Stephen Jackson for a dunk. Tim could literally control the game on both ends in his prime. Some good big men have come along since 2003 but none of them have been anywhere close to Tim..

:tu

poop
05-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Griffin = Amare
Alridge = Duncan

:lmao

xmas1997
05-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Here's a deal. You make a poll and ask ST who's takes are better (make it public). If you win, I will leave forever. If I win, you leave forever. You say you want to clean up trolls and what you consider to be bad posters. Here's your chance.

Ooh, upset now, are we?
Get real, please.

DPG21920
05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
That literally doesn't make any sense.

xmas1997
05-11-2014, 01:19 PM
That literally doesn't make any sense.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
You should be old enough to know better tbqh.
But then so many on here are not.
No offense meant.

Chinook
05-11-2014, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't mind Aldridge, either, although I'm not a fan of his..his style of play will translate well with age, too, especially since he has said that he will begin working on a 3-point shot this Summer..

However, comparing him to prime Duncan is stupid on every level, tbh:lol..

I also hate when "analysts" and fans compare current Duncan to prime Duncan based on per-36 numbers, etc..Duncan in his prime was one of the most complete players of all-time, including being able to step out and defend the perimeter on switches, unlike current, 38-year old Duncan, which people seem to ignore:lol..

I agree with this. I think we need to just go ahead and realize that there will never be another Duncan. We can't hope the Spurs just plug another player into his shoes when Tim retires and just keep going along their current path. LA isn't Duncan. Marc Gasol isn't Duncan. Love isn't Duncan. Hell, Prime Davis won't even be Duncan. The Spurs are going to have to completely change the way they do things when 21 hangs them up.

That being said, life does go on. Just because those guys aren't Duncan doesn't mean they aren't players the team can build around. I do think a player like Aldridge could come in and give championship-level play from the four spot. If the Spurs can keep their current core (the SL minus Duncan plus Diaw) together and add LA and a couple of young role-players, they can challenge for a title. In that regard, I think Aldridge could take the mantle when Duncan retires. Sure, he wouldn't be the same ballpark as Prime Tim, and he won't even do many of the things Current Tim does. But he could be good enough.

And yes, I agree Current Tim is somewhat overrated. Rather, the supporting cast is really underrated. They're the ones that cover Tim's weaknesses and allow him to play to his strengths.

xmas1997
05-11-2014, 03:01 PM
I agree with this. I think we need to just go ahead and realize that there will never be another Duncan. We can't hope the Spurs just plug another player into his shoes when Tim retires and just keep going along their current path. LA isn't Duncan. Marc Gasol isn't Duncan. Love isn't Duncan. Hell, Prime Davis won't even be Duncan. The Spurs are going to have to completely change the way they do things when 21 hangs them up.

That being said, life does go on. Just because those guys aren't Duncan doesn't mean they aren't players the team can build around. I do think a player like Aldridge could come in and give championship-level play from the four spot. If the Spurs can keep their current core (the SL minus Duncan plus Diaw) together and add LA and a couple of young role-players, they can challenge for a title. In that regard, I think Aldridge could take the mantle when Duncan retires. Sure, he wouldn't be the same ballpark as Prime Tim, and he won't even do many of the things Current Tim does. But he could be good enough.

And yes, I agree Current Tim is somewhat overrated. Rather, the supporting cast is really underrated. They're the ones that cover Tim's weaknesses and allow him to play to his strengths.

I agree with most of this.
I wouldn't mind Aldridge, or Hibbert either for that matter, but neither will ever happen here I doubt.
However, I disagree about TD being somewhat underrated.
I don't think anyone overrates him anymore due to his age. Certainly he isn't what he was in his prime, but I don't think anyone seriously expects him to be.
But he is still doing quite well considering that and I think he could be serviceable for a few more years yet.

hooperflash
07-12-2015, 03:41 PM

That's a pretty damn good player, tbh.

Mugen
07-12-2015, 03:49 PM
DPG, come here and :downspin:

Juan
07-12-2015, 03:50 PM

DPG21920
07-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Still feel the same - the fact Spurs were able to bring in LMA while keeping the main core is huge. He's going to fit well and we dont have to worry about a LMA led Spurs with no Tim.

Mugen
07-12-2015, 03:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XKHYSZM.gif

Juan
07-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Still feel the same - the fact Spurs were able to bring in LMA while keeping the main core is huge. He's going to fit well and we dont have to worry about a LMA led Spurs with no Tim.

So you're not a fan at all?

PingPong
07-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Nothing to worry, Aldridge's kriptonite is in the East, OKC is fucked, Mavs is the Mavs, Houston has Coward and Bin Harden. The biggest issue is GSW.

DPG21920
07-12-2015, 03:59 PM
So you're not a fan at all?

I think LMA is really, really good (like I said) - but I am not a fan overall in terms of building teams around guys like him. But Spurs have a lot of players so it's not so LMA centric like POR was. Of course I'm thrilled LMA is on SA - but the fact he's a Spurs doesn't change the flaws he's had.

Again, he should fit really, really well, especially because it wasn't a passing of the torch with Tim leaving & LMA coming in.

Chinook
07-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Really annoyed that Parker and Mills took away Splitter's chance to stay with the team, as I think the Spurs could have been great for the next six years had he stayed. But at the same time, this year could be REALLY special. And the Spurs will have a decent chance at grabbing the center they'll need in 2017 (maybe even Splitter himself). Or maybe they find a way to grab Horford next off-season and become just insane for a while longer. I would not have thought that LMA/Horford was possible, but this off-season shows me that the Spurs can recruit their asses off when they want to.

SpursFan86
07-12-2015, 04:09 PM
I think LMA is really, really good (like I said) - but I am not a fan overall in terms of building teams around guys like him. But Spurs have a lot of players so it's not so LMA centric like POR was. Of course I'm thrilled LMA is on SA - but the fact he's a Spurs doesn't change the flaws he's had.

Again, he should fit really, really well, especially because it wasn't a passing of the torch with Tim leaving & LMA coming in.

Yup...obviously LMA is a fantastic player, but I don't think he's a guy capable of carrying a team to a title.

Luckily we've surrounded him with a metric fuck ton of talent, and he won't have to carry the team night in and night out. You could very well argue that Kawhi is still the best player on this team (especially if he continues to improve). Duncan is still one of the best bigs in the league. Green is one of the best 3&D players in the league. Parker was shitty last year but I'm still hopeful he can get back to at least being a solid PG. Quality bench guys like Manu, Boris, and Patty. Throw in having one of the best coaches in the history of basketball...Aldridge isn't going to be doing this on his own like Tim was doing in the early-2000s.

DPG21920
07-12-2015, 04:11 PM
My comments were OP focused. Meaning that if the Spurs blew it up (Tim retires, Manu retires, etc...) that I would have rathered go younger vs signing an older star. Spurs still could have been good and a playoff team which isn't all bad, but personally I would have rather focused on longer term if this was the end of the Spurs as we knew them.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Nothing to worry, Aldridge's kriptonite is in the East, OKC is fucked, Mavs is the Mavs, Houston has Coward and Bin Harden. The biggest issue is GSW.
We actually got better against GSW, since Splitter and Baynes are almost unplayable against their small lineup anyway. The main issue is that we got worse against Memphis and perhaps Houston.

PingPong
07-12-2015, 05:47 PM
We actually got better against GSW, since Splitter and Baynes are almost unplayable against their small lineup anyway. The main issue is that we got worse against Memphis and perhaps Houston.

Well, their smallball is still better than Spurs.

spurraider21
07-12-2015, 05:53 PM
to be fair, splitter was finishing games instead of Duncan in the 2013 playoff series

Darius McCrary
07-12-2015, 05:59 PM
lil DPG laid down the hurt

look_at_g_shred
07-12-2015, 07:16 PM
:lol I remember this thread

Aztecfan03
07-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Really annoyed that Parker and Mills took away Splitter's chance to stay with the team, as I think the Spurs could have been great for the next six years had he stayed. But at the same time, this year could be REALLY special. And the Spurs will have a decent chance at grabbing the center they'll need in 2017 (maybe even Splitter himself). Or maybe they find a way to grab Horford next off-season and become just insane for a while longer. I would not have thought that LMA/Horford was possible, but this off-season shows me that the Spurs can recruit their asses off when they want to.

Hope you are joking.

Chinook
07-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Hope you are joking.

No. I wish I was.

Sean Cagney
07-12-2015, 08:00 PM
FUNNY we need to win three more to get to the Blazers first..... The Blazers win to win 2 more first, why don't you wait until we get there?

I am a huge Aldridge fan as well, he is classy and a very good player! But why even say when they lose when neither team is there yet?

Good bump, now I can actually prove I was a huge fan of Aldridge before he came to the Spurs and did not just jump on.

RD2191
07-12-2015, 08:02 PM

:wakeup

DPG21920
07-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Context already explained.

RD2191
07-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Context already explained.
:wakeup

Ice009
07-12-2015, 08:26 PM

Is next off-season when the new TV deal is going to kick in? Also, whenever it does happen, will the Spurs have enough money for another max contract or will it not be quite that much?

Chinook
07-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Is next off-season when the new TV deal is going to kick in? Also, whenever it does happen, will the Spurs have enough money for another max contract or will it not be quite that much?

Yes, and it'll depend on who sticks around. The cap's expected to jump $20 Million, and if the Spurs make enough sacrifices, they'll probably be close to having a max slot, but that would leave the cupboard even barer than it was this season. Pretty much the starters and some draft picks.

hater
07-12-2015, 09:17 PM
:lmao awesome bump :lol

Lotta "smart" posters have been exposed :lol

07-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Duncan will be passing the torch to LMA.

Just not in the way OP was thinking.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2015, 11:34 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/tlong-lob.jpg

Mugen
07-13-2015, 11:44 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/tlong-lob.jpg

Is that tlong??? :lol

DPG21920
07-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Yes. The camera adds 1-2 championships.

Obstructed_View