PDA

View Full Version : Pop is overthinking this series

Uriel
04-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Pop identified 2 areas of improvement in Game 1:

1. Bench scoring
2. Ball movement

He responded in Game 2 by overcompensating on both those issues. The problem with his strategy is that the entire team ended up suffering for it.

When your opponent switches on every screen, the logical thing to do is to exploit the mismatch and rely on your individual players to beat their man. The Spurs' talent is far superior to that of the Mavs, and they demonstrated it towards the end of Game 1, when they won on the strength of sheer star power (Big 3 doing all the work, everyone else virtually nonexistent).

But in Game 2, Pop put the cart before the horse, and completely misunderstood the problem. Instead of carrying out the obvious solution, he tried to force the issue by reverting to the regular season rotation in an effort to increase bench production. But this only took minutes away from more talented players in favor of lesser players. And then he called a multitude of plays that required off-ball screens, dribble hand-offs, and spacing in an effort to increase ball movement. Unfortunately, this ultimately backfired on him by causing a plethora of turnovers.

His logic is akin to seeing the statistic that the Spurs are undefeated when Tiago Splitter scores 10 points or more, and then deciding that we should force feed him the ball to get him to reach that threshold. The fallacy in this reasoning is failing to see that Splitter's scoring output is a symptom, rather than a cause, of his system flowing (which consequently allows the Spurs to flourish offensively).

Pop needs to stop overthinking this and do the right thing; that is, run more isolation plays for Tim, Tony, Manu, and Kawhi, and watch a clearly overmatched Mavs team cower in despair.

04-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Agreed. It looked as if TP and Duncan were gonna just that but idk what happened.

DesignatedT
04-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I don't think he's over thinking anything. Actually, I saw him do nothing from game 1 to 2.

Can't say I blame him seeing that we still won game 1 on a huge run at the end but he's definitely got to start making adjustments now. The Mavs are sacrificing the rim in order to stay on the role players and the perimeter and the Spurs are still trying to force passes that just aren't there anymore. Instead of taking advantage of the what defense is giving them. I can't help but think that if somebody tried this strategy last year; Parker and Duncan would have had a field day in the paint.

RD2191
04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
The problem is that Pop made zero adjustments from Game 1 to 2. :lol

BillMc
04-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Very well written post. I think that Pop will stop forcing the issue and allow the stars to exploit the mismatches. The difference in points in the paint between Game 1 and 2 was pronounced. We won't have a turnover night like that again. That said, Dirk's going to have a good game at least once in this series. Suddenly this looks like a 6 or 7 game matchup, but I still like the Spurs.

bklynspursfan
04-24-2014, 10:27 AM
It's just like GS series. It was hard to grasp much from the 1st game cause it was a game won on momentum late. Game 2, turnovers obviously killed this team among other things. But it wasn't until Game 3 in that GS series that we really played dominant and we saw Pop make adjustments. I think we'll see a sharper more focused team and a game plan that will counter some of what Dallas is doing. Sometimes it takes a couple games to figure out a counter for what the other team is doing.

Spur|n|Austin
04-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Very well written post. I think that Pop will stop forcing the issue and allow the stars to exploit the mismatches. The difference in points in the paint between Game 1 and 2 was pronounced. We won't have a turnover night like that again. That said, Dirk's going to have a good game at least once in this series. Suddenly this looks like a 6 or 7 game matchup, but I still like the Spurs.

Agreed. Unfortunately we have to use the word "suddenly", but that's the way it is.

As good of a road team as the Spurs have been this season, I'm predicting a completely different team on Saturday in terms of, sense of urgency, ball protection, & ball movement.

RD2191
04-24-2014, 10:30 AM
:lolSpurs struggling im the 1st against the Mavs. Championship my ass. :lol

Budkin
04-24-2014, 10:37 AM

We continue to play like this and we're getting swept by the Blazers no doubt.

DesignatedT
04-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Why is that funny? You don't want to see the Spurs win? Or just like laughing at their expense or what? Just wondering why that makes you laugh.

Spur|n|Austin
04-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Why is that funny? You don't want to see the Spurs win? Or just like laughing at their expense or what? Just wondering why that makes you laugh.

He's a troll

Uriel
04-24-2014, 10:43 AM
I don't think he's over thinking anything. Actually, I saw him do nothing from game 1 to 2.

Can't say I blame him seeing that we still won game 1 on a huge run at the end but he's definitely got to start making adjustments now. The Mavs are sacrificing the rim in order to stay on the role players and the perimeter and the Spurs are still trying to force passes that just aren't there anymore. Instead of taking advantage of the what defense is giving them. I can't help but think that if somebody tried this strategy last year; Parker and Duncan would have had a field day in the paint.
That's basically what I said in the OP. :lol Stop trying to force the issue (and instead take what the defense gives you) and rely on your star players to get the job done.

RD2191
04-24-2014, 10:54 AM
It's funny because the Spurs are the top seed with the COTY struggling in the 1st round. :lol

DesignatedT
04-24-2014, 10:56 AM
It's funny because the Spurs are the top seed with the COTY struggling in the 1st round. :lol

Well at least your amused at watching Tim fail.

RD2191
04-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Well at least your amused at watching Tim fail.

Tim isn't failing. His teammates and coach are. Tim is the reason they aren't headed to Dallas down 0-2.

DesignatedT
04-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Tim isn't failing. His teammates and coach are. Tim is the reason they aren't headed to Dallas down 0-2.

It's funny to see him lose though. Apparently.

If the team doesn't win he fails at being able to enlarge his legacy.

RD2191
04-24-2014, 11:11 AM
It's funny to see him lose though. Apparently.

If the team doesn't win he fails at being able to enlarge his legacy.

His legacy is set.

DesignatedT
04-24-2014, 11:13 AM
His legacy is set.

Doesn't mean he can't further it.............................................

It's funny to see him lose though. :lol :lol :lol :lol right? :lol

DesignatedT
04-24-2014, 11:16 AM
That's basically what I said in the OP. :lol Stop trying to force the issue (and instead take what the defense gives you) and rely on your star players to get the job done.

Yeah I agree. I was just saying I think it's more of Pop doing a lack of adjustments than him over thinking something. I didn't see much of anything from game 1 to 2.

Raven
04-24-2014, 11:22 AM
His logic is akin to seeing the statistic that the Spurs are undefeated when Tiago Splitter scores 10 points or more, and then deciding that we should force feed him the ball to get him to reach that threshold.

really?

look_at_g_shred
04-24-2014, 11:27 AM
We need to establish Tim and Kawhi early period! Ellis can't handle Kawhi in the post, and if they are going to double tim in the paint. Someone is going to be open. We have yet to take advantage of mis-matches like we did in the regular season, and it's frustrating as a fan to see your team not use its potential!

Mikeanaro
04-24-2014, 11:27 AM
In two games our Big 3 were decent (putting those 2 games in perspective), the rest is pure shit. Young talented players doing nothing and scrubing big time, go figure.
They want a ring? this is not their first PO here excepting Marco so no excuse.
This is dallas if we beat them Porkland is gonna kill us, you have to take every game seriously.
I dont think pop is overthinking, our role guys sucks ass plain and simple.

04-24-2014, 11:30 AM
It's good that we're being challenged in the first round. As long as we don't lose, it should payoff later lol

Sean Cagney
04-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Doesn't mean he can't further it.............................................

It's funny to see him lose though. :lol :lol :lol :lol right? :lol
How is it funny to see Tim lose?

ginobilized
04-24-2014, 12:10 PM
I sure didn't see or feel much fire, swagger, confidence or mojo from the Spurs. Doesn't matter what the coach does if the players don't bring it. Spurs didn't bring it.
Game 3 will be a real clarifier. I see others harkening back to the Memphis 1st round loss a couple of years back. This is looking more like the Phoenix series to me where Devin Harris is going all Dragic on us and we are not handling the pick and roll well on either side of the court. My heart says they'll pull their heads out for Game 3. They sure as hell better.

DesignatedT
04-24-2014, 12:11 PM
How is it funny to see Tim lose?

It's not.

RD2191
04-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Can't believe Designated T thinks it's funny to see Tim lose. What a scumbag.

look_at_g_shred
04-24-2014, 12:27 PM
:lmao the way ur spinning it :lmao

RD2191
04-24-2014, 12:28 PM
:lmao the way ur spinning it :lmao

:lmao

Horse
04-24-2014, 12:28 PM
There was no effort, no focus and no respect for the mavs. 33 pts off 24 turnovers don't see that happening ever again. We didn't learn from game 1 just like last yr they didn't learn till the lost. Once they took golden state serious it was all but over. And dallas is not as good as that team.

DesignatedT
04-24-2014, 12:32 PM

:lol

I'm just fuckin around.

RD2191
04-24-2014, 12:36 PM
:lolSo am I. Tim needs to ring though. Tbh. Especially after how last season ended. Lets hope our bench gets going soon because we really need them. And Danny Green needs to be more aggressive, the Spurs look completely different when he's knocking down 3s.

therealtruth
04-24-2014, 06:06 PM
It's good that we're being challenged in the first round. As long as we don't lose, it should payoff later lol

I agree. If we survive it, it makes us stronger. If Dallas simply rolled over it would have given us false confidence.

Expert
04-24-2014, 06:12 PM
lol pretending to understand how Pop thinks. I guess he forced the team into 24 turnovers by overthinking it.

Expert
04-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Tim doesn't need to win a ring. He's set for life both with reputation and finance, and if the Spurs gave a fuck about your opinion you'd be able to watch the game because it wouldn't be blacked out. So you bleed for Tim, and Tim doesn't even give a shit whether you exist or not. Sounds like a fair trade.

Mikeanaro
04-24-2014, 06:19 PM
lol pretending to understand how Pop thinks. I guess he forced the team into 24 turnovers by overthinking it.
Like that scanners movie?

Joseph Kony
04-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Expert with the goods :tu Pop didn't make the team give Dallas 24 extra possessions. They did that shit on their own. I really don't think he told them to brick numerous free throws at home either, or for Tim to take only 5 shots.

TheGoldStandard
04-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Lol.. we shouldn't try to go 1 on 1 with mismatches because seriously the only person that consistently score is Duncan and Parker and we have learned that Pop doesn't care about that he'll sit them during critical stretches for rest. The problem is pretty simple.. The Mavs put a long defender that isn't Sam Dalembert on Parker so in the instance that Parker blows by Marion Dalembert is there to challenge quicker, Mavs don't give a flying monkey about Tiago on offense. Pop didn't call a time out after the first time this happened and said, hey when they do that, just run another screen somewhere else to create the switch you want.. You gotta move players and the Spurs didn't do that, they tried to find a recipe to go at the switch which didn't work. Various screens, slashing guards, hi lo action with Duncan taking the ball at the top of the key or Tiago and then dumping it in and catching Parker on a screen coming off Kawhi and then either shooting the jumper, getting in the lane or dumping it to Kawhi.. that would be a solution.

poeticism707
04-24-2014, 06:32 PM

This. The only thing Pop over did, was eating plate after plate, and over drinking his beloved wine.

It certainly wasn't over thinking, as he made 0 adujustments thus far in the playoffs.

therealtruth
04-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Expert with the goods :tu Pop didn't make the team give Dallas 24 extra possessions. They did that shit on their own. I really don't think he told them to brick numerous free throws at home either, or for Tim to take only 5 shots.

It's called preparation. Know what you're going to do so you don't turn the ball over and look clueless.

Expert
04-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Spurs led the regular season in team assists per game. In the 1st two playoff games, they are 15th, just ahead of Atlanta. That's going to have to turn around in order to get anywhere, and the turnovers are likely to slow to a crawl once the better passing starts. Just protect the basketball, everything else will work itself out. The key to doing that is not having Manu as a PG.

Joseph Kony
04-24-2014, 07:00 PM
It's called preparation. Know what you're going to do so you don't turn the ball over and look clueless.

The fuck that gotta do with Pop? Real solid analysis there man, srsly :tu

Chomag
04-24-2014, 07:37 PM
In Pop's mind System>>>>Players . Hopefully he will stop his stubbornness and let the Stars on this team make Dallas pay. Team play in a well oiled system is great, but sometimes you just gotta let your best players take over the game, and keep feeding the hot hand making your opponent try to stop it.

Who am I kidding though, we all know the moment a player gets hot he is getting pulled.

tholdren
04-24-2014, 07:52 PM
did you bitch in all 13k posts?

you're worse than a wife

heyheymymy
04-24-2014, 07:59 PM
excellent post, OP!

RD2191
04-24-2014, 08:32 PM

you're worse than a wife

Lol......faggot.

SupremeGuy
04-24-2014, 08:58 PM
I just don't understand how we're not going to Kawhi or Timmy on every play if they're not going to double.

siraulo23
04-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Tony parker and duncan needs to score a ton if the mavs continue to switch and stay home on shooters

duncan cant consistently get it done offensively anymore tony parker is the key to this series

SpurPadre
04-24-2014, 09:04 PM
With Boylen as an assistant coach, can anyone really blame Pop for overthinking to compensate for the lack of thinking on that end? I miss Bud...congrats on being up 2-1 BUD!!!!

Southwest Texas Fan
04-24-2014, 10:12 PM

:tu yeah I noticed this as well. WTF is so funny?

Expert
04-24-2014, 11:14 PM

you're worse than a wife

You're wife's not so bad.

InRareForm
04-24-2014, 11:16 PM
YOu are overthinking that he is overthinking tbh...

T Park
04-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Three reasons this series isn't 2-0 Spurs

1. Lack of appropriate fear. They haven't taken the mavericks serious yet and are out there playing like it's the regular season, hence Duncan's comments after game 1

2. Kawhi Leonard needs to wake the F up. His play so far has been uninspired and abysmal. He has shown no willingness to step up nor snap out of his fog.

3. Patty mills. If he comes out in game 3 and gets Bonner syndrome and starts bricking, sit his ass for Corey Joseph. He will at least defend Devin Harris.

LakerHater
04-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Kinda havta agree with the title, his line ups are weird!

tenbeersbold
04-25-2014, 01:59 AM
?

1. Lack of appropriate fear. They haven't taken the mavericks serious yet and are out there playing like it's the regular season, hence Duncan's comments after game 1

2. Kawhi Leonard needs to wake the F up. His play so far has been uninspired and abysmal. He has shown no willingness to step up nor snap out of his fog.

3. Patty mills. If he comes out in game 3 and gets Bonner syndrome and starts bricking, sit his ass for Corey Joseph. He will at least defend Devin Harris.
LMAO...I like this.... might I volunteer Mamba Meltdown instead of Bonner Syndrome ;)

Boomersgold
04-25-2014, 02:07 AM

Added a few more:
4. If Bellineli doesn't get out of his shooting and defensive slump, sit his ass for Cory Joseph.
5. Turnobli playing over his more talented twin Ginobili. Untimely turnovers, overdribbling the ball and making poor decisions. I want to see the ball in Parker's hands.
6. Pop hasn't adjusted to the Mavs screens. Needs to get the players to switch, rather than have them go under screens.

T Park
04-26-2014, 01:45 AM
You don't sit Belinelli, you need him to win a ring. Sitting him for two games bad play accomplishes nothing.

TheyCallMePro
04-26-2014, 02:04 AM
I think we respect Dallas too much. Every time you hear one of our players or coaches talk about them, they make it sound like were playing the 96 Bulls or something.

Dallas is a below average NBA team full of old guys. We won 10 in a row vs them for a reason. And that's because were MUCH, MUCH better than them. And it's about time our guys start acting like it. I'm sick of watching our guys be so tentative vs such a mediocre team.

You don't 'respect' your opponent until after you smash them. Then you give them all the love you want. But right now, the Spurs need to have a FUCK THEM mentality every second of the game.

BatManu20
04-26-2014, 02:11 AM
It begins and ends with turnovers. Take care of the ball an we'll give ourselves a chance to win it at the end every time.

z0sa
04-26-2014, 02:15 AM
The entire spurs team is overthinking the series. But I agree. The Spurs need to play SSOL and hero ball until RC decides to return to a standard defensive gameplan, at which time regular season ball rapes them easily.

rmt
04-26-2014, 03:34 AM
Compared to the other series (specifically OKC/MEM and POR/HOU, Spurs are playing with no intensity - like these are just regular season games. They better be careful and play full out in game 3 or the pressure will kill them in game 4. Pop needs to stop trying to involve the bench and take whatever MAVS defense gives them. If the big 3 need to score the majority of points, so be it. That's why you rested them during the rs. It's the playoffs - stop fooling around. Attack, attack the paint and forget about the 3pt line. When their bigs get in trouble from defending the paint, RC will be forced to help from the wings. Then TP and TD can pass to the 3pters.

hater
04-26-2014, 04:13 AM
Pop is a bum.