PDA

View Full Version : Main points of emphasis going to Game 3

szkorhetz
04-24-2014, 03:35 PM
After a miserable loss in Game 2, I think every non-delusional fan is pressing the panic button and they are right doing so.

1. This team wouldn't even beat the Lakers going just 1-on-1, just because they are not capable of doing that and they weren't forced to it since the Thunder series in 2012. While Parker and Duncan had success in Game 1, and Manu in Game 2, you just can't count on 3 players, at an average age of more than 35 years to win you 4 games against an extremely well coached, hungry, and well prepared Mavs team, even if they are the Big Three. Every team we faced always tried to limit the Big Three, and let role players to beat them, while Mavs do the exact opposite. They took away our outside game, so our bench is struggling, just like our three role players in the starting unit. In Game 1 Pop brought in Bonner, and even though he is a very limited player in almost every aspect of his game, he could provide some spark for our team, mainly with the first unit. I know I won't be too popular with this idea, but playing Bonner with Parker, Duncan and Leonard could hide mask our lack of ball movement and would force Dalambert or Nowitzki outside the paint, which could ease up the job for Parker and Leonard.

2. Start Bellinelli. While he is struggling just like Green and Leonard, the Italian is the only player in the trio who could eventually put the ball on the floor and could be counted as a primarily ball handler, which could free up Parker from ball handling duties. This would be extremely important when Harris is on Parker, as Devin's length were responsible for a ton of our TO's. Setting up some off-ball screens for Parker could give us some well needed easy buckets.

3. Either Duncan or Splitter MUST be on the floor. Splitter doing an amazing job on Nowitzki, Diaw is doing an above-average job on the German. So we have to Dirk slower, but when neither one of the Twin Towers played, Dallas went on a run and they had almost every of their fast break point when neither of them was on the court. We must avoid playing the Diaw and Ayers together, as that unit are providing no rim protection.

4. Every time Blair is on the court we have to punish him. He provided them great energy and boards, while still using his active hands, but his defense is still bad and he is still short as a SG. Every time he is in the game, we must post-iso him up. Both Duncan, Diaw and Splitter should be able to do this, and because DB is that bad defensively, Mavs will have to draw some double on his man, which will eventually make their perimeter D suffer.

5. Never let Calderon heat up. After every made shot by Calderon switch a bigger defender on him for the next couple of possessions as he is a true Microwave, we just can't let him heat up.

6. If Duncan is not in the play, switch every screen where Ellis is the ball handler, and never let him in the paint.

dallasmaverickslose
04-24-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure I would shuffle the starting lineup tbh...

RD2191
04-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Lost me at 2. Giving Marco more minutes is not the answer.

szkorhetz
04-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Just because it is working so well?

RD2191
04-24-2014, 03:43 PM
We're losing game 3 and Pop will start Manu Game 4. Same shit different year.

MVPCues
04-24-2014, 03:47 PM
2/6

RD2191
04-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Something we do know is that our bench D is garbage. Gotta mix and match starters with the bench otherwise we're screwed.

Hoops Czar
04-24-2014, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't start Belinelli under any circumstances. He's arguably the worst defender on the team though Mills s giving him a run for his money. The Spurs need to get back to cut throat defense and quality ball movement and the rest will take care of itself.

They shoud beat the Mavs however, Pop shouldn't be treating this series like a glorified early preseason or meaningless regular season game. If he continues to toy with rotations and gives the Mavs reason to believe, this could be a very deep series.

james evans
04-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Something we do know is that our bench D is garbage. Gotta mix and match starters with the bench otherwise we're screwed.
bench defense is beyond garbage. they ALWAYS are letting teams come back

Hoops Czar
04-24-2014, 04:25 PM
We're losing game 3 and Pop will start Manu Game 4. Same shit different year.

He can't start Manu if you want bench production. Both Mills and Belinelli are completely dependent on him to keep the offense flowing smoothly.

Also, the Spurs have been mixing and matching the first and second units. Dallas is doing a good job of exploiting the weak links.

Phenomanul
04-24-2014, 05:54 PM
The Spurs need to toughen up and physically punish the Mavs... Blair got the memo and delivered some hard fouls on both Tony and Manu. We need someone to bruise Calderon and Harris in similar fashion... Nothing dirty, just something to remind them that the Spurs aren't folding over... Those two are having their way with the Spurs (Harris has a PER of 27 in the series)... Ellis is another matter entirely, he is tougher than he appears (and you can't really bruise someone you can't catch)...

TheGoldStandard
04-24-2014, 06:16 PM
You know how the Spurs do better.. stop taking 15 seconds to get into your plays which consist of either Parker dribbling too much because they're switching on the initial screen or dumping it into Duncan and him standing there for 10 seconds trying to think about what he's going to do.. If they're switching on Parker run another screen and while you're doing that have someone slash. Have someone besides Tiago and Duncan set screens for Parker.

Expert
04-24-2014, 07:04 PM
There's no reason to change the lineup. Spurs don't turn the ball over 24 times in many games, else they'd be the Bucks or the 76ers. They'll make mental adjustments and the worm will turn.

Expert
04-24-2014, 07:05 PM
You know how the Spurs do better.. stop taking 15 seconds to get into your plays which consist of either Parker dribbling too much because they're switching on the initial screen or dumping it into Duncan and him standing there for 10 seconds trying to think about what he's going to do.. If they're switching on Parker run another screen and while you're doing that have someone slash. Have someone besides Tiago and Duncan set screens for Parker.

If they are going under screens on Parker, Parker needs to shoot the ball. I'll take 36% from outside over 24 turnovers.

TheGoldStandard
04-24-2014, 07:16 PM
If they are going under screens on Parker, Parker needs to shoot the ball. I'll take 36% from outside over 24 turnovers.

Can't argue with that

moisaenz
04-24-2014, 08:45 PM

maybe some offensive rebounds..

Beaverfuzz
04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
grab the rebounds, quit turning the ball over. Spurs win.

Dunc n Dave
04-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Spurs need to cut Bonner and Ayres out of the rotation. Keep 1 of Splitter or Duncan on the court at all times. If you absolutely have to sit both guys together you play Diaw at C and Leonard at 4 until one of the starters can come back in. Leonard can handle Dirk on Blair in spot duty.

Also, they need to post up Leonard on Ellis a lot more. It was effective in Game 1 and they never went back to it in Game 2 with his foul trouble. If they try to double Leonard, NOW you move the ball for open 3ptrs.

Defensively you give Ellis the 3ptr and sag off him to stop penetration and switch the screens for him and Harris, just like they are doing to Tony and Manu. Beat them at their own Game...

DesignatedT
04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
1 of Duncan or Tiago in the game at all times
1 of Parker or Manu in the game at all times
1 of Green or Leonard in the game at all times.

superjames1992
04-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Make shots. Play harder. :pop:

monkeypunk
04-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Defense is the primary answer and I'd throw in stopping the pocket bounce passes. Mavs have that scouted and every time we tried it in gm2, the Mavs got a deflection and caused a turnover. Ball movement is a critical part of our offense but we need more off the ball movement to truly make it work.

I honestly don't think our struggles are as much about the Mavs as much as our general level of activity. We struggled the last few weeks of the RS against every team and this is just carrying over.

I also think Duncan is hobbled right now, he wasn't coming out on anyone that he got switched to in gm2 and gave up many mid range jump shots. If he's worried about them blowing by him if he comes out on them, play Splits and Duncan together so one can cover the paint. Dalembert was killing us with rebounds and rim protection, we need both bigs in to block him out.

Joseph Kony
04-25-2014, 10:33 AM
They need to stop bricking free throws and turning the ball over almost 20 times in a half. Not hard to see the problem. Only emo gnsf is cutting their wrists over the game 2 loss imo.

Miami got shat on by the Spurs in Game 5 and legendary fashion and went on to win the title. Spurfan tends to overrate the importance of one loss and thinks it severely damages the players' psyche like their own fragile minds :lol

BackHome
04-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Don't turn the ball over 22 times and we win.

.G.
04-25-2014, 02:53 PM
....make sure they have more points than the mavs at the end of game 3.

playbonner15
04-25-2014, 03:17 PM
KONY DROPPING TROOT BOMS

cjw
04-25-2014, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't start Belinelli under any circumstances. He's arguably the worst defender on the team though Mills s giving him a run for his money.

Argument here would be that you have three plus defenders in the starting lineup (front court) and you help the bench's D by swapping Danny there. Danny also plays well when he has Manu / Boris' passing setting up his shots. I don't think the argument is to play Marco more minutes, but just to change up rotations a bit.

therealtruth
04-25-2014, 05:52 PM
I am not worried. The coach of the century will figure it out.

Dex
04-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Just because it is working so well?

Pop tried starting Belinelli early in the season. Beli played worse, Green played worse, and the starting defense went into the shitter.

No thanks.