PDA

View Full Version : Any Boxers? (fighting...not garments)

The Reckoning
04-26-2014, 11:33 AM
thinking of taking up boxing to get/stay in shape after i'm able to settle down in a few months. anyone have tips for a semi-beginner?

i did karate when i was younger but my parents took me out after i knocked out one of the kids on the playground :lol

mrsmaalox
04-26-2014, 11:34 AM
I though you meant the dog.

The Reckoning
04-26-2014, 11:41 AM
I though you meant the dog.

i have a dobie at home. don't need another dog tbh. too much responsibility.

Avante
04-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Unless you plan on fighting you'd want to stay away from boxing. You will be sustaining injuries which slow what you're trying to accomplish. All ya need is running and weight training, sure the speed bag is great as is running the bleachers.

The key is sticking to it and taking a Spartan attitude. It becomes who you are not something you're doing.

Thebesteva
04-27-2014, 06:27 AM
I used to box for several years at the Wild Card. Honestly, boxing is a brutal workout even without the fighting part. Just 2 minutes on the heavybag will give you a new found respect to fighters. I think jump rope plus heavy bag will really help a ton. Though, I agree that running and basic cardio might be better for you to lose that barrel ass of yours

The Reckoning
04-27-2014, 07:53 AM
lol i'm not overweight and i've always played competitive sports. i was a halfback in high school so i'm used to taking a beating. i'm in my mid 20s now so i'm not really that old.

i just need a reason to keep in shape because if i don't feel like i'm training for something in particular then i just stop training. plus it's nice to try out everything at least a bit.

any other suggestions that people do for competition? i feel like just going to the gym three times a week is pretty monotonous.

Two10Whitey
04-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Do Muay Thai.

Two10Whitey
04-27-2014, 09:38 AM
yeah everybody needs calluses on their shins

A good Muay Thai gym will condition the whole body while a boxing program will focus mainly on the upper body. Just saying, if you're looking for a more complete work out, Muay Thai>Boxing.

The Reckoning
04-27-2014, 10:31 AM
hemann did karate but stopped because he was tired of sparring 8 year olds

The Reckoning
04-27-2014, 10:33 AM
muay thai would be interesting though. when i was in thailand they had open ring fights lol

Sportcamper
04-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Boxing is the real deal…I have never met a black belt whose ass I could not kick…Heavy bag, use the spongy ones, the bags packed with silk are brutal on your hands & wrists unless you are built like Sonny Liston or George Foreman…(Left left right hook is all you need to get started)…Timing bags are fun and really buff out your shoulders…An hour a day on the timing bag will develop muscle you never knew you had…In a year, dress shirts will no longer fit…Sparring is OK if you are in the ring with an experienced boxer who will not hurt you but able to humble you…The way you will get hurt is to spar with someone with equal size and talent…

The Reckoning
04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Boxing is the real deal…I have never met a black belt whose ass I could not kick…Heavy bag, use the spongy ones, the bags packed with silk are brutal on your hands & wrists unless you are built like Sonny Liston or George Foreman…(Left left right hook is all you need to get started)…Timing bags are fun and really buff out your shoulders…An hour a day on the timing bag will develop muscle you never knew you had…In a year, dress shirts will no longer fit…Sparring is OK if you are in the ring with an experienced boxer who will not hurt you but able to humble you…The way you will get hurt is to spar with someone with equal size and talent…

there we go. finally some positive feedback. did you get your own bag or join a gym?

The Reckoning
04-27-2014, 11:20 AM
A good Muay Thai gym will condition the whole body while a boxing program will focus mainly on the upper body. Just saying, if you're looking for a more complete work out, Muay Thai>Boxing.

but doesn't it depend more on fighting style? like as an out-boxer your endurance and lower body have to be insane.

Floyd Pacquiao
04-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Boxing is great for cardio. Probably the best for getting in shape. Just doing 2 rounds on the mitts (with a competent trainer) will leave you gasping for breath. Bag workouts and heavy bag drills (throwing 1-2s repeatedly for a min duration atleast) are a great way to build stamina and endurance if you have a trainer thats pushing you to the limit.

Two10Whitey
04-27-2014, 03:08 PM
but doesn't it depend more on fighting style? like as an out-boxer your endurance and lower body have to be insane.

They're not really built for strength. It's different. There's plenty of technicians and pure boxers who have weak looking legs. But again, it just depends on the results you're looking for.

FkLA
04-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Don't spar. White Americans do not make good boxers tbh.

Sportcamper
04-28-2014, 06:14 AM
there we go. finally some positive feedback. did you get your own bag or join a gym?

When I was a teenager I played football, lifted weights, was athletic but I wanted to learn how to fight for real. Not break boards & wear a silly robe. I joined a gym called Left Hook (which is now gone). After one work out with a trainer I realized how clumsy I was. It was six months before they allowed me to spar & then I found out how easy I was to hit. It took a couple years before I was of beginner amateur status. The owner of the gym was about 5’ 8” & in his forties. He would spar with huge NFL players who also trained there. He could knock them around with ease. Mr. T also trained there. He never learned how to fight. A clumsy guy with no skill what so ever. He learned just enough to sell it on the big screen.

My advice is to find a boxing gym where they will teach you to throw punches correctly. You don’t need to spar. Getting hit is quite painful.

The Reckoning
04-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Don't spar. White Americans do not make good boxers tbh.

i'd be more than happy to throw it down with some bean bags tbh

The Reckoning
04-28-2014, 06:48 AM
When I was a teenager I played football, lifted weights, was athletic but I wanted to learn how to fight for real. Not break boards & wear a silly robe. I joined a gym called Left Hook (which is now gone). After one work out with a trainer I realized how clumsy I was. It was six months before they allowed me to spar & then I found out how easy I was to hit. It took a couple years before I was of beginner amateur status. The owner of the gym was about 5’ 8” & in his forties. He would spar with huge NFL players who also trained there. He could knock them around with ease. Mr. T also trained there. He never learned how to fight. A clumsy guy with no skill what so ever. He learned just enough to sell it on the big screen.

My advice is to find a boxing gym where they will teach you to throw punches correctly. You don’t need to spar. Getting hit is quite painful.

sweet thanks. i figure just do it for a year and if i'm decent then continue on...if not then just take what works best for me and add it to my workout regimen. can't knock it til you try it.